HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Has Gillis Ruined the Canucks?

View Poll Results: Has Gillis ruined the Canucks
Yes 44 38.26%
No 71 61.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-09-2013, 09:42 PM
solitary

vCash: 500
If Gillis ruined the Canucks, then what did Milbury do to the Islanders?

5 years, 5 division titles, 2 presidents trophies, 1 SCF appearance. I'd say he's doing ok.

solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:44 PM
mooped*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I say Gillis has an ego problem with the way he has dealt with the whole Luongo trade situation. From the start of it everyone knew he wouldn't get a fair return based on his contract, however Gillis said to the media he would be making a great Hockey trade and get back some great players, prospects and picks.

There was a rumour that Luongo nixed the original Toronto Kadri proposal to see if Florida would put forth an offer.
Considering all we've really heard are rumours, that should tell you just as much on who screwed the trade up. At the end of the day, I'm sure there were many factors that impacted the potential trades and blaming just Gillis is short-sighted.

mooped* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:48 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
No, he hasn't "improved" the team, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he has ruined them.

MrFunnyWobbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:53 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooped View Post
There was a rumour that Luongo nixed the original Toronto Kadri proposal to see if Florida would put forth an offer.
Considering all we've really heard are rumours, that should tell you just as much on who screwed the trade up. At the end of the day, I'm sure there were many factors that impacted the potential trades and blaming just Gillis is short-sighted.
Luongo was asked about that and said it that never happened.

After the 2012 Draft I read an article by Damien Cox of the Toronto Star and he reported at that time Mike Gillis was asking for Jake Gardiner, Matt Frattin, Tyler Bozak and the Leafs 2012 1st round pick in return for Luongo and was told no deal.

If you choose to believe that it's your decision, however if that is assuming that story is true then it shows that Gillis was asking for way to much in return based on his contract and how the Canucks didn't trust Luongo to be their #1 Goalie after lossing Game 2 to Los Angeles.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:01 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
it has taken awhile, but listening to the Vancouver media today, they have finally realized that most of the core team was brought in by Nonis and Burke and in the 5 years Gillis has run the team he has not drafted well

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:05 PM
King of Anarchy

No, but damn has he made a lot of mistakes.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:09 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
When he came in they were a skilled offensive minded team, but after 2011 finals, he decided they need to be a big, physical, defensive team and has traded Hodgson for Kassian, drafted older players with big bodies and brought in players with bad contracts like Booth while locking up most of the core players with NTCs
When he came in they were a non-playoff team with a bottom 10 offense.

He transformed them with key acquisitions and coaching staff that was still effective at getting the most out of the players.

Then Ehrhoff left, Malholtra got hurt, kesler broke down, the Sedins slowed down, AV lost the team...

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:11 PM
serge2k

Quote:
he changed the identity in the middle of his tenure from a team like PIT/CHI to STL/LA which isnt what theyre built for and has for some reason drafted a bunch of 20 year olds with his draft picks, not to mention trading for Booth and Kassian.
He traded a useless Sturm and a marginally effective Samuelsson for a younger player with more offensive upside and a style of play he liked.

It didn't work out. Not like they were so much worse off with Booth compared to Samuelsson.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:12 PM
SiCKNESS

after 2011, most of his moves and choices have been terrible imo.

SiCKNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

No, the Canucks ruined Gillis. He made moves under the notion that the team would not only be able to get it done in the regular season, but (more importantly) the playoffs as well. Obviously, they didn't.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:16 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
it has taken awhile, but listening to the Vancouver media today, they have finally realized that most of the core team was brought in by Nonis and Burke and in the 5 years Gillis has run the team he has not drafted well
I have seen others on here make that same exact comment and if the Vancouver media only realized it today I think that speaks to their hate of Brian Burke and Dave Nonis.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Colt.45Orr

No 3rd option on the poll for "hopefully" ?

Seriously, I do not think he has 'ruined' them but I do think the window has closed on this team for the next few years and you have to question if he did enough when it was wide open.

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:22 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
I have seen others on here make that same exact comment and if the Vancouver media only realized it today I think that speaks to their hate of Brian Burke and Dave Nonis.
Trust me: the Vancouver media hates everything about Toronto. And I'm not talking just the team. The TEAM 1040 takes more pot shots at the team and city of Toronto than they do anything else. The hate for Burke was there when he left, but it came back roaring when he took the Toronto GM spot.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:26 PM
mooped*

Quote:
Luongo was asked about that and said it that never happened.

After the 2012 Draft I read an article by Damien Cox of the Toronto Star and he reported at that time Mike Gillis was asking for Jake Gardiner, Matt Frattin, Tyler Bozak and the Leafs 2012 1st round pick in return for Luongo and was told no deal.

If you choose to believe that it's your decision, however if that is assuming that story is true then it shows that Gillis was asking for way to much in return based on his contract and how the Canucks didn't trust Luongo to be their #1 Goalie after lossing Game 2 to Los Angeles.

I believe that rumour about what MG originally asked for; you'd be an idiot not to ask for more than you'd realistically expect in a trade. When you barter, you start with a higher offer than you expect so you can negotiate down to your realistic price.

mooped* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:26 PM
excape

Quote:
When he came in they were a skilled offensive minded team, but after 2011 finals, he decided they need to be a big, physical, defensive team and has traded Hodgson for Kassian, drafted older players with big bodies and brought in players with bad contracts like Booth while locking up most of the core players with NTCs
What?

When he came in, the Canucks were in the bottom-10 for goals scored.

excape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:28 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Gillis gets so much credit for re-signing the players he inherited it's crazy.

He didn't draft and develop the Sedins or Kesler or find Burrows. That's the core of the Canucks offence, no matter what systems were changed those players were already here. Big part of our secondary scoring over the 5 years was Hansen and Raymond, both Nonis draft picks. So other than bottom 6 forwards, 20 games of Sundin, the the playoff no show Higgins the offence has been carried by guys that he didn't have to bring in, draft, sign...

On defence he inherited a strong group. Edler, Bieksa, Mitchell, Ohlund, Salo.. that was a solid but injury prone group when he took over. He got hamhuis and Garrison to come home that's great, Nonis did the same with Mitchell so it seems to be easy to get local D-Men to return. Ehrhoff trade was a gift but brilliant, then he let him go and we haven't recovered from that loss.

Goaltending... He walked into Luongo and Schneider... wow any GM would be incredibly lucky to have that happen. Has rode those two for 5 years.

The coaching staff including AV... already here and has been a great coach for 5 years.

His trading has been horrific. Couldn't be worse than it has been for a guy that hasn't even had pressure to make trades.

He's so overrated, he owes almost everything to the prior GM's, they have a bigger impact on our roster right now by a large margin than Gillis does and he's been here for FIVE seasons.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Ewan McGregor

Not ruin, but definitely wasted their opportunity.

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:47 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post

Other than a couple free agent signings(of home province players) this team is still built by Nonis and Burke, Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Edler, Bieksa, Luongo, Schneider, AV... that's the core 5 years after Gillis took over.

The man is a fraud.
Oh come one, you just discredited him signing out two best defensemen on great deals. Calling the Ehrhoff trade a gift? You can't just call all of his positive moves lucky. There is plenty to criticize Gillis of, but you need to actually acknowledge the good things he has done

Your bias is obvious

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Oh come one, you just discredited him signing out two best defensemen on great deals. Calling the Ehrhoff trade a gift? You can't just call all of his positive moves lucky. There is plenty to criticize Gillis of, but you need to actually acknowledge the good things he has done

Your bias is obvious
I've seen many people discredit Burke's Cup win in Anaheim for the exact same reasons. Niedermayer wanted to play with his brother and Pronger asked to be traded so Burke didn't deserve credit in trading/acquiring them.

Kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:55 PM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
I've seen many people discredit Burke's Cup win in Anaheim for the exact same reasons. Niedermayer wanted to play with his brother and Pronger asked to be traded so Burke didn't deserve credit in trading/acquiring them.
yup. Agreed

Old
05-09-2013, 11:01 PM
monster_bertuzzi

He hasn't done a good job for two years, I will say that.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:03 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Just wait until your team misses the playoffs next year while he does noting to improve them

Gillis brought in key guys. Nonis left some good pieces (to be more accurate, he left Luongo and Burke's guys) but Gillis added the right supporting parts to get them to the finals.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Dark Knight
We The North !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Maybe give the team a chance with a new coach?

Gillis has put together a fairly successful team. SCF appearance, several playoff rounds won, five straight division titles. I think the Canucks team is fairly well built, I'd like to see what they can do with a different coach.
He hasn't really put together much. He was handed most of what he has on a platter.

I liked the acquisition of Derek Roy though. I still don't think he's a bad GM by any stretch and Vancouver shouldn't fire him. I just think he needs to do something that takes guts and that's to trade the Sedins.

05-09-2013, 11:46 PM
nowhereman

I'm not a fan of some of Gillis' moves but he can't be blamed for everything. Is it Gillis' fault that Ballard went from being a great top three defenseman into a boderline top six defenseman? Is it his fault that Booth and Kesler can barely string together a handful of healthy games? Is it his fault that the Sedins have had one only great playoff series (San Jose, 2011) in the last three years? Is it his fault that Edler devolved into a complete mess of a player? Is it his fault that Luongo has had playoff games where he's collapsed and let in seven or eight goals?

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:49 PM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
He hasn't really put together much. He was handed most of what he has on a platter.

I liked the acquisition of Derek Roy though. I still don't think he's a bad GM by any stretch and Vancouver shouldn't fire him. I just think he needs to do something that takes guts and that's to trade the Sedins.
sedins have NTCs, how is he going to trade them?