HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Subban and that bridge contract..(what to expect with his next extension)

View Poll Results: Bridge contract
Bridge contract was a smart deal. It was a good move for both parties 107 54.04%
Should have signed him long term (likely cheaper) when we had the chance. Bit of a blunder by MB. 91 45.96%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2013, 09:04 PM
  #26
yianik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Yeah, because giving Subban six million originally would have turned him into a huge disappointment. It has nothing to do with Myers just being overrated.

PK will demand seven plus, if only to make up for what he lost out on. He's not doing us any favors that's for certain. If he does, he has far more character than this league will ever give him credit for, but I can't blame him if he goes max money.



We have absolutely none. Teams will offersheet him this time, and they will pay him whatever he wants. Our defense is also not anywhere near as good without him and he knows it.
As far as I know teams who have done the offer sheet have only done it when they figured the target team couldn't do it financially. That's not us, we can pay. Also, PK cant bank on an offer sheet so yes, I said we have... some...bargaining power and we do. We start negotiating by the way as soon as we are allowed, not when his contract is up at the end of next year.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:06 PM
  #27
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.
Of course he is

It was just a dumb decision and I can't believe there were some people actually defending it or saying it was a good move.

Hopefully he won't ask for the moon.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:09 PM
  #28
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 18,687
vCash: 500
Well, Subban has to be worth minimum $7M per. I'm not sure there was anybody going to give him more than $5M before this year?

$40M/8yrs = $5M aav
vs.
$56M+$5.75M/10yrs = $6.175M aav

Not that big a deal. We get him for 2 more years, and get the lowered cap hit in the crucial 2013 off-season when the cap goes down.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:20 PM
  #29
NLHabsFan
Registered User
 
NLHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 500
I believe he's getting 7mil per, but I'd offer him an 8 year extension at 50mil this summer and tell him he'll be the next Captain of the Habs. Hopefully that makes him sign for a little less.

NLHabsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:26 PM
  #30
Guilliam
Registered User
 
Guilliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
How can people say that the bridge contract was a mistake is beyond me. Bergevin put Subban into his place saying he's not more important than the team and then when Subban came back he had a perfect attitude, always talking of the team instead of himself, being very commited to play the system and had a monster season to prove he is worth what he was asking for. And we got a bargain for this year and next.

Tell me how this is different from what Bergevins envisioned when he gave him a bridge contract. What was he hoping for? That Subban sucked this year so he can then sign him for 3 mil per for 6 years???

Yeah maybe Myers was overated and Subban is much better. Bergevin just wanted to be sure of this and of Subban's attitude before he gave him this contract. Now you sign him for 6 or 7 million per who cares, now YOU KNOW he's worth it.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:03 PM
  #31
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Speculating here, but what could have cost us 4.5 - 5 million per season over a long term deal, could now cost us 7+ per over the same amount of years..
Speculating to add punch to your argument...

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:05 PM
  #32
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
Speculating to add punch to your argument...
So you're telling me you think Subban could have got 7+ per over a long term deal, BEFORE this season?

__________________
Interested in checking out 50+ years worth of covers from "The Hockey News?" Check out my collection here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1382901
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:05 PM
  #33
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,713
vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
Speculating to add punch to your argument...
HF in a nutshell. "WE SHOULD HAVE TRADED PRICE FOR GIROUX WHEN WE HAD THE CHANCE!". Fictional claims are the best.

Ezpz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:06 PM
  #34
Malmsteen44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
7 million x 8 years, 56 million, if he wants to play on a competitive team. More than that would make him the only possible big contract on the team and hurt overall depth.
Pittsburgh has TWO players making that, Chicago has Kane/Toews, and many teams have at least one 8 million dollar a year player, so your argument is not valid at all. The GM gambled on the bridge contract and may have to pay the piper. I just hope so called "fans" don't expect PK to take any less than any of his peers would.


Last edited by Malmsteen44: 05-09-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: addition
Malmsteen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:06 PM
  #35
Cupmonger
Registered User
 
Cupmonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 3,198
vCash: 500
Extend him very long term and at a good amount. Guy has been producing points ever since he signed. When he first joined us, it was during the playoffs. While he was inexperienced he was good. The next season, the team played like **** and he was still good, yet everyone saw him as mediocre.

I've been saying, give him his long term 5-5.5 mil a year contract. But now he's going to ask more. And he deserves it tbh.

Now that we actually had a team playing, he's considered as a norris candidate.

Extend and sign this guy already!

Cupmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:07 PM
  #36
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
So you're telling me you think Subban could have got 7+ per over a long term deal, BEFORE this season?
I'm saying I don't think he could have been had for the 4.5-5 that the OP was suggesting.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:08 PM
  #37
Malmsteen44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRealist View Post
Norris trophy candidate : 7 -8 per year, whatever term is.

Ouch, while he is excellent offensively, he is good for a major gaffe a game in his own end, not like most other Norris type players.
And you are basing this on what? He is a plus player on a slightly above avg team.

Malmsteen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:10 PM
  #38
Malmsteen44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLENOL View Post
I'd hope he takes something like 30 miilion(6m per year) for 5 years cause i dont think anyone in this NHL is worth more than that. Players who ask more than that are selfish in my opinion but i guess that blame would have to go on those crazy agents they have to.
I hope he gets MARKET value and there are a lot of "selfish" players making more than 6 million.

Malmsteen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:10 PM
  #39
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
I'm saying I don't think he could have been had for the 4.5-5 that the OP was suggesting.
Unless I'm remembering wrong, wasn't 5 or 5.5 per the numbers Bob McKenzie and many credible media sources were saying P.K. and his agent were demanding in negotiations?

Of course, none of us know for sure, but I believe this was the speculation. I doubt they were demanding 7+...

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:13 PM
  #40
Malmsteen44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
How can people say that the bridge contract was a mistake is beyond me. Bergevin put Subban into his place saying he's not more important than the team and then when Subban came back he had a perfect attitude, always talking of the team instead of himself, being very commited to play the system and had a monster season to prove he is worth what he was asking for. And we got a bargain for this year and next.

Tell me how this is different from what Bergevins envisioned when he gave him a bridge contract. What was he hoping for? That Subban sucked this year so he can then sign him for 3 mil per for 6 years???

Yeah maybe Myers was overated and Subban is much better. Bergevin just wanted to be sure of this and of Subban's attitude before he gave him this contract. Now you sign him for 6 or 7 million per who cares, now YOU KNOW he's worth it.
In a couple years, PK is going to put Bergevin back in his place.

Malmsteen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:14 PM
  #41
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,629
vCash: 552
The bridge deal was not that bad. Would have been OK with a little more money on that deal, but meh. It really lit a fire under Subban's ass.

Now, just extend him for 6-7-8 years. Heck, he may take a deal at around 6-6.5AAV. Would be great. Guy's a winner.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:17 PM
  #42
Guilliam
Registered User
 
Guilliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmsteen44 View Post
In a couple years, PK is going to put Bergevin back in his place.
What does that even mean?

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:17 PM
  #43
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Unless I'm remembering wrong, wasn't 5 or 5.5 per the numbers Bob McKenzie and many credible media sources were saying P.K. and his agent were demanding in negotiations?

Of course, none of us know for sure, but I believe this was the speculation. I doubt they were demanding 7+...
Exactly, none of us know for sure. You can't say, "Well Bergevin messed up because he could have maybe got him at a discount"

And "credible sources" aren't always right. Remember how everyone was calling Iggy to Boston?

The whole premise of this thread is whack. Instead of celebrating the fact that we actually have a player who could actually be worth 7 million dollars (especially considering the last guy we had on our roster who was making that kind of money) we're complaining because we couldn't get him at a bargain that may or may not have ever been available in the first place.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:18 PM
  #44
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
HF in a nutshell. "WE SHOULD HAVE TRADED PRICE FOR GIROUX WHEN WE HAD THE CHANCE!". Fictional claims are the best.
HF LOGIC

Cap space >>>>>>>> Talented players

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:20 PM
  #45
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
I expect him to be sign this summer 6,75 cap hit .

And he will be our next captain

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:20 PM
  #46
Booba
Fier, ému and proud
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chez Moi
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
If I'm GM, during this summer I offer Doughty money @ max length and leave it at that. If he doesn't take it I entertain the idea of trading him before the deadline.
He is not a RFA this summer.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:20 PM
  #47
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
Exactly, none of us know for sure. You can't say, "Well Bergevin messed up because he could have maybe got him at a discount"

And "credible sources" aren't always right. Remember how everyone was calling Iggy to Boston?

The whole premise of this thread is whack. Instead of celebrating the fact that we actually have a player who could actually be worth 7 million dollars (especially considering the last guy we had on our roster who was making that kind of money) we're complaining because we couldn't get him at a bargain that may or may not have ever been available in the first place.
I can see the point you're tying to make, but I think it's painfully obvious Subban is worth more over a long term extension now, than he was before the season started. I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.

It was also painfully obvious that Subban wanted to sign long term.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:27 PM
  #48
Hullois
Registered User
 
Hullois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Québec
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
The bridge contract was great for many reasons, but now give him whatever he asks for. He is that good. Him and Glachenyuk on the team for years....


:drooling:

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:29 PM
  #49
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,773
vCash: 500
Pay him whatever he asks. Move whoever you have to in order to do so.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:30 PM
  #50
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I can see the point you're tying to make, but I think it's painfully obvious Subban is worth more over a long term extension now, than he was before the season started. I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.

It was also painfully obvious that Subban wanted to sign long term.
I know the thought of getting him at a discount is tempting, but honestly, how many teams undisputed best players were signed drastically below value?

You have to look at it from Bergevin's point of view. He came here without knowing much about the players. The one thing he DEFINITELY knows about Subban, though, is the controversies. Do you really want to sign a guy long term when he's had two fights with teammates at practice? He really didn't have a choice but to do the bridge contract.

It's easy for us to say "just sign him already" but it's a different ball game when you're the GM of a franchise with such high expectations.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.