HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's to stay and who's to leave?

Old
05-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

vCash: 500
Who's to stay and who's to leave?

Which player would you expect to not come back next season?

Players to leave next season (for ME, THIS IS MY OPINION)

Negatives:
-Moen(Do I really need to explain?)
-Desharnais(Needs to be traded, to small to compete in the playoffs, in a small team anyways)
-Budaj(horrible performance in game 4 and 5, solid in the regular season, would keep if no better options are available)
-Ryder(Can't afford, also small, no character, 1 dimensional, disappeared towards the end)
-Bouillon(solid player, but age and size hurts the habs)
-Armstrong( I'm against the idea of a 4rth liner who can't score, skate, pass, hit, and fight)
-Weber(too small, 1 dimensional)
-Kaberle(buyout)

Players I would call a few GM's and see what their market value is for further evalutions:

-Pacioretty(young player, very talented, but lack of effort and grit is a big question mark going forward, specially in the playoffs, would not trade unless a good offer was proposed)
-Gorges(played solid for the past few years, but hard a difficult season, too soft for a defenceman going forward)
-Diaz( Difficult end of season and playoffs, undersized d-man could hurt the team in the playoffs long-term)
-Price( I KNOW, he's an elite talent blah blah blah, did not show up the last 2 months, never won a playoff round, shades of Fleury and Luongo, would look at market-value)
-Markov(age is really catching up, did bad playoffs towards the end of the season, and in the playoffs, shades of Kaberle)
-White(Always been a fan of him, bad luck this season, would give the kid another go, but is expendable)
-Gionta(age is catching up, not the same player)
-Plekanec(Did show up in the playoffs, but did not produce, solid player but either him or DD has to go, we are too small down the middle and Galchenyuk and Eller are stepping up)

Positives:

-Galchenyuk(exceptionable talent, looked like our best forward in game 4 and towards the end of the season)
-Gallagher(big surprise of the season, looked solid throughout the playoffs)
-Bourque(looked good in the playoffs, hopefully keeps on playing like that)
-Tinordi(played like our 2nd best d-man in the playoffs)
-Subban( did not like his attitude in the playoffs but played well despite having an alright end of the season, lots of room for improvement which is scary)
-Prust(our leader on and off the ice, type of player we needed, and still need more of)
-Eller(played like our 2nd best center for the entire season, is big and strong, still young, lots of room for improvement)

MY line-up for next season (IF I WAS GM AND COACH, THIS IS PURELY MY OPINION)

Bourque-Plekanec-Clarkson
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Clowe-Eller-Gionta(could be replaced)
(insert HW/Prust type of player)-Prust-White(or HW/Prust type of player)

Tinordi-Subban
Markov(expendable)-Emelin
Beaulieu-(physical 6'2+ right handed d-man via trade)

Price
Budaj(Or another backup)

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Moen outplayed Prust in the playoffs.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Moen outplayed Prust in the playoffs.
I disagree, Prust was playing injured and Moen looked soft as hell at times, Refs were also on Prust's back after his comment.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:03 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post

Negatives:
-Desharnais(Needs to be traded, to small to compete in the playoffs, in a small team anyways)
-Budaj(horrible performance in game 4 and 5, solid in the regular season, would keep if no better options are available)
-Ryder(Can't afford, also small, no character, 1 dimensional, disappeared towards the end)
-Armstrong( I'm against the idea of a 4rth liner who can't score, skate, pass, hit, and fight)
-Kaberle(buyout)

Players I would call a few GM's and see what their market value is for further evalutions:

-Pacioretty(young player, very talented, but lack of effort and grit is a big question mark going forward, specially in the playoffs, would not trade unless a good offer was proposed)
-Gorges(played solid for the past few years, but hard a difficult season, too soft for a defenceman going forward)
-Diaz( Difficult end of season and playoffs, undersized d-man could hurt the team in the playoffs long-term)
-Price( I KNOW, he's an elite talent blah blah blah, did not show up the last 2 months, never won a playoff round, shades of Fleury and Luongo, would look at market-value)
-Markov(age is really catching up, did bad playoffs towards the end of the season, and in the playoffs, shades of Kaberle)
-White(Always been a fan of him, bad luck this season, would give the kid another go, but is expendable)
-Plekanec(Did show up in the playoffs, but did not produce, solid player but either him or DD has to go, we are too small down the middle and Galchenyuk and Eller are stepping up)

Positives:

-Galchenyuk(exceptionable talent, looked like our best forward in game 4 and towards the end of the season)
-Subban( did not like his attitude in the playoffs but played well despite having an alright end of the season, lots of room for improvement which is scary)
-Prust(our leader on and off the ice, type of player we needed, and still need more of)
-Eller(played like our 2nd best center for the entire season, is big and strong, still young, lots of room for improvement)

Tinordi-Subban

Price
Budaj(Or another backup)
you wont find much better than Budaj as a backup, most good ones will go to teams they have a chance to play a little more than they would behind Price.

Plekanec production was similar if not better than what he usually bring in reg. seasons, he was also a top C on faceoff for regular C after 3 or 4 games.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:05 AM
ottawa
go habs go

I've never seen so much fail in an OP before, I honestly don't even know where to begin

05-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
I've never seen so much fail in an OP before, I honestly don't even know where to begin
Me neither specially considering getting criticism from a user with Ottawa and GohabsGo in his name

Old
05-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you wont find much better than Budaj as a backup, most good ones will go to teams they have a chance to play a little more than they would behind Price.

Plekanec production was similar if not better than what he usually bring in reg. seasons, he was also a top C on faceoff for regular C after 3 or 4 games.
That is exactly what I said

Old
05-10-2013, 12:12 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
That is exactly what I said
actually, you said Plekanec did not produce in the P.O. wich is false.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:12 AM
ottawa
go habs go

Quote:
Me neither specially considering getting criticism from a user with Ottawa and GohabsGo in his name
I didn't know I had to have a specific username to have a valid opinion

I was born and raised in montreal as a habs fan, I am currently living in Ottawa now due to school. I hope this puts your mind at ease.

ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Price My Man Crush

> I almost destroyed the wall right next to me. Merci man.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Negatives:
-Kaberle(buyout)

Positives:

Tinordi-Subban

Price
Budaj(Or another backup)
Deshjarnais is interesting. We just signed him for four years. I agree he's too small to be on our team but man, I don't see us trading him.

Plekanec always seems to play under the radar. Doesn't really show up in the postseason... yet nobody ever suggests dealing him away. Not suggesting that we should, just strange how some people get hammered and others don't.

One thing's for sure... too many small forwards. Gallagher goes nowhere so that leaves at least three others who are on the team, some of whom need to be moved. Pleks? Probably not. Gionta and DD. Something's got to change there. Good players but not altogether. And I think that MB must know this. I expect at least one of these guys if not two will be gone.

Keep Budaj. No way on MaxPac or Price either, they go nowhere.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:
I didn't know I had to have a specific username to have a valid opinion

I was born and raised in montreal as a habs fan, I am currently living in Ottawa now due to school. I hope this puts your mind at ease.
And... you have taylor swift as your avatar..?

Old
05-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Deshjarnais is interesting. We just signed him for four years. I agree he's too small to be on our team but man, I don't see us trading him.

Plekanec always seems to play under the radar. Doesn't really show up in the postseason... yet nobody ever suggests dealing him away. Not suggesting that we should, just strange how some people get hammered and others don't.

One thing's for sure... too many small forwards. Gallagher goes nowhere so that leaves at least three others who are on the team, some of whom need to be moved. Pleks? Probably not. Gionta and DD. Something's got to change there. Good players but not altogether. And I think that MB must know this. I expect at least one of these guys if not two will be gone.
Thank you, this is what I am trying to explain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post

> I almost destroyed the wall right next to me. Merci man.
Please don't act like Pacioretty wasn't one of our worst players in the playoffs and he was average in the regular season despite leading the team in points, I'm not saying to get rid of him, but I would trade him for a say, Wayne Simmonds.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:18 AM
ottawa
go habs go

Quote:
And... you have taylor swift as your avatar..?
It's to draw attention to my posts...clearly it works.

Any other Qs that might derail this thread anymore than its already being done. Make a list of Qs and PM me, I'll answer them when I can.

ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:20 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
It's to draw attention to my posts...clearly it works.

But still, Kanye West FTW

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Mr. Hab

STAY:
Plekanec (always underrated/underappreciated)
Gallagher
Galchenyuk
Eller
Prust
Pacioretty (see below)
Tinordi
Bourque
White (saw some Prust in him during playoffs)
Moen (see below)
PK Subban (MVP)
Tinordi
Gorges (see below!)

STAY (but better improve $%^&*#$):
Gorges (liked him when he made less money...he was a warrior)
Emelin (gotta improve his Defense 101)
Moen (for 4th line...he better improve next season)
Gionta
Pacioretty (trade bait? better go to the net like he can next season)

ONE MORE YEAR:
Markov (trade bait but has no trade clause? %^&*#$%)
DD (or gone)
Diaz (trade bait)
Gionta (trade bait)
Armstrong (two-way contract only?!)

GONE:
DD (or wait for the right time to get something for him)
DD (major trade bait...if someone will bite)
DD (gone or trade bait)
Diaz (or...trade bait)
Ryder (unless he signs for dirt cheap!)

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Kaberle and Ryder are probably the only ones who have played their last game as habs. At most another irrelevant guy is gone for late pick.

Gionta and DD we are stuck with.

They'll probably re-sign Armstrong for obscure locker room related reasons.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

I hope we can get a 5th for Ryder at the draft.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

In general these are the players that I feel are "must returns". The rest are players that can be used in trades or brought back as the GM sees fit.

Must Returns

Gallagher
Galchenyuk
Subban
Pacioretty
Markov
Plekanec
Prust

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:15 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Players I would like gone:
Moen, Kaberle, Ryder, Armstrong

I don't care:
Diaz, Weber, Gionta, Bouillon, Halpern

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:23 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

probably not the best time for a Bruin fan to post, so sorry in advance, but wanted to give an outsider opinion, I thought you guys were much tougher this year and don't think you need a lot of turnover this offseason to improve. I'd buy out Kaberle and let Ryder walk. Wait out the other buyouts from around the league and use some cap space to fill out your top lines and move some guys down the depth chart. You have one of the top goalies, and top defenseman in the league already, and there should be lots of guys available this offseason for teams that have a few bucks (which it looks like you do).

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Just because a player has a rough season doesn't mean we have to trade him.

This is mostly the case of Gorges and Moen, these guys have proven in past years they were leaders on and off the ice.

As for Gionta, he's got only 1 year left on his contract, we either keep him and put him on the third line or trade him at the deadline. I don't see top 6 minutes for him again.

Unlike most people here, I think Desharnais' contract is good, but I don't think he'll stay here for the whole lenght of his contract. I give him max 2-3 years here. We're way too small up front and it showed during the playoffs.

Weber, Kaberle and Nokelainen are obviously not back with the team.

Diaz showed great progresssion, he had trouble in the playoffs but he's still learning. We should keep him.

Armstrong... meh. Love the guy, don't like what he brings on the ice.

I'd love to see what White can bring next season. Is he going to be in full retard mode still? We'll see.

As for Plekanec, DO NOT TRADE HIM.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:40 AM
lamp9post

Quote:
I disagree, Prust was playing injured and Moen looked soft as hell at times, Refs were also on Prust's back after his comment.
Making excuses for Prust is not an argument that he played better than Moen.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:40 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Just because a player has a rough season doesn't mean we have to trade him.

This is mostly the case of Gorges and Moen, these guys have proven in past years they were leaders on and off the ice.

As for Gionta, he's got only 1 year left on his contract, we either keep him and put him on the third line or trade him at the deadline. I don't see top 6 minutes for him again.

Unlike most people here, I think Desharnais' contract is good, but I don't think he'll stay here for the whole lenght of his contract. I give him max 2-3 years here. We're way too small up front and it showed during the playoffs.

Weber, Kaberle and Nokelainen are obviously not back with the team.

Diaz showed great progresssion, he had trouble in the playoffs but he's still learning. We should keep him.

Armstrong... meh. Love the guy, don't like what he brings on the ice.

I'd love to see what White can bring next season. Is he going to be in full retard mode still? We'll see.

As for Plekanec, DO NOT TRADE HIM.
Mostly agree with this. I think Desharnais might have to go sooner and that is mostly because of his size. As someone mentioned when you have Gionta, Gallagher and Desharnais one is going to have to do. The one to likely get the biggest return is DD.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I forgot about Markov and Bouillon.

Markov started the season like a Norris candidate, he was so damn good. Not sure what happened but he then started to look like Patrick Traverse. Couldn't skate, make a pass, shoot, etc. It was weird watching Markov struggle like that. Still, he's an elite Dman and it's his first season back from serious injuries. See what he can bring next year.

Bouillon better be the 7th dman next year.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote