HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Post-Mortem - Bergevin's Best/Worst Moves

Old
05-09-2013, 09:27 PM
ak90210

vCash: 500
His only good move was the Ryder trade but he ruined it by wasting the cap savings on Desharnais.
Hiring Gallant as an assistant was a good move as well if that was him and not Therrien.

ak90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:32 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Bergevin has a very tough job in the next 6 weeks. We saw two very different teams in the condensed 48 game season. He needs to evaluate as to whether the team that played very well in the first 3/4 of the season is "the team" or is it the team that **** the bed every other game at the end of the year. If he miscalculates, we could easily miss the playoffs next year.

There are areas that require immediate attention. Prust needs help in the toughness department. A few guys that can play a regular shift and protect the team are #1. Failing that, a goon like Bordeleau will be needed over an 82 game season.
#2 we need some D that will make you pay the price for standing in front of the net.

There are more needs, but these to me are the most pressing needs in terms of player personnel.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Best Moves:

1. Getting Therrien. He Implanted a system that I had never seen in Montreal and he brought much more out of these guys that they should have been. Who thought Bourque could become useful?

2. Signing Prust.

3. Youth movement. Gallagher, Eller, Galchenyuk.

Worst Moves:

1. Not solving the grit issue. We needed a big, mean D and he got us Dewinski.

2. Signing DD/Cube/Budaj to extensions.

3. Signing Moen and Armstrong.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:35 PM
DaHabMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
4 more years of Desharnias was a HUGE mistake.. especially at 3.5M per year, thats aweful..
i second , third and fourth this to infinity..although a good player...were not gonna win with him...one-dimensional and surpassed on he depth chart...but 4 years and quebecois....oy vey hes here to stay for awhile.hopefully pleky isnt the one they get rid of

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Best Moves:

1. Getting Therrien. He Implanted a system that I had never seen in Montreal and he brought much more out of these guys that they should have been. Who thought Bourque could become useful?

2. Signing Prust.

3. Youth movement. Gallagher, Eller, Galchenyuk.

Worst Moves:

1. Not solving the grit issue. We needed a big, mean D and he got us Dewinski.

2. Signing DD/Cube/Budaj to extensions.

3. Signing Moen and Armstrong.
huh??? 8-1-1 ??

any way I think DD will pick it up next season. He seemed off this year.

and no way signing bouillon was a bad move.. at least its not one thats gonna have a huge impact.

I think we missed some Erik Cole in the playoffs this year

Genesis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:46 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
He made the team smaller, weaker and less physical. After years of being the smallest team in the league we start to move away from it and then he took another step backwards.

Gionta, Desharnais and Boullion need to be gone. DD is looking like a better buyout candidate than Kaberle who isn't even allowed to play!
couldnt be more wrong.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:48 PM
DJ Breadman

You have to buy out dd he is terrible, if your not going to put up points you have to do other things well, he does nothing well, I'd buy him out and let kaberle ride the pine again next year

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
i second , third and fourth this to infinity..although a good player...were not gonna win with him...one-dimensional and surpassed on he depth chart...but 4 years and quebecois....oy vey hes here to stay for awhile.hopefully pleky isnt the one they get rid of
Last time I checked, DD was making 850k this season. He won't start receiving his first paycheck of his ne contract before next October. By then, he could have had an excellent camp and start of the season.

Therien might play him less and give him the third minutes for a centre. MaxPac could be finally 100% healthy and together they might lead the Habs in points once again.

DD had a horrendous season, no doubt. But why jump on him ?

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:00 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
Last time I checked, DD was making 850k this season. He won't start receiving his first paycheck of his ne contract before next October. By then, he could have had an excellent camp and start of the season.

Therien might play him less and give him the third minutes for a centre. MaxPac could be finally 100% healthy and together they might lead the Habs in points once again.

The perspective of four more years is whats scary

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Hansman

WA WA WA what a bunch of malcontents. We over-achieved big time.
I think Bergy did OK with the sh^%$t sandwich he inherited.

Lets see got rid of Gomez.
Shipped out Cole who Pretty much gave up.
Restructured the front office.
Didnt trade off prospects or draft picks so we could delude ourselves into thinking
we we're only 1 or 2 pieces away from the big dance.

I'm predicting Bergy will make 2 big moves this summer and have a great Draft.
He's only been the captain for 1 year .
He will need 2 more years to right this ship.

He was evaluating his team and I'm sure he knows what we need after
that abysmal series.

Remember what Price told the fans in pre-season........relax

I for 1 believe he has done quite a bit in his 1 year tenure.
The future will glow a little brighter every year.

Chive on.

Hansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I'd add the Cole trade to best. Also, not trading any of our top draft picks at the deadline.
Well, he was sure right about one thing: he knew this team wasn't going to do anything in the playoffs. So, yeah, thank god he held on to our draft picks.

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
what have you done for me lately : the thread

you guys have pretty short memory/are too emotionnal about the lost

+Complete new mentality around the team, got us out of the gainey/gauthier lockdown, THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING
+Therrien, he got outcoached by the walrus but I still believe he's a good coach
+gave a real chance to the youngsters (Tinordi, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Dumont)
+Got rid of Cole at the right moment
+Got rid of Gomez
+kept a good amount of picks for what should be the best draft in years
+Halpern for free
+Budaj Extension
+Brendan Prust.
+Bouillon (I know people here don't like him, but he does a decent job most of the time and deserved to retire as a Canadiens)
+set us up for a bright future, gave me hope that this team is going in the right direction for the first time in 15 years
++his name is not Pierre Gauthier

-DD contract
-Moen
-Armstrong
-trade deadline, couldve added a little more to this team
Great Post..best one so far

Armstrong was worth the small gamble that he could return to form and be a ***** disturber but too many injuries and concussions..he is easily replaced

Moen was too long of a contract...players that style really slow down at age 30ish

Could have added more at the trade deadline... but the prices were extremely high

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

One of the best moves...

Keeping the 6 picks in the top three rounds.

Hopefully Timmins finds a player of the caliber of Subban/Datsyk/Lucic/Zetterberg

Too bad it will be 3 years until we see them in the NHL.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:07 PM
gabbag00

its funny how everybody thinks that Bergevin is such a bad GM now..

wake up, we just went from 14th to 2nd, its only the first year.

gabbag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Hullois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansman View Post
WA WA WA what a bunch of malcontents. We over-achieved big time.
I think Bergy did OK with the sh^%$t sandwich he inherited.

Lets see got rid of Gomez.
Shipped out Cole who Pretty much gave up.
Restructured the front office.
Didnt trade off prospects or draft picks so we could delude ourselves into thinking
we we're only 1 or 2 pieces away from the big dance.

I'm predicting Bergy will make 2 big moves this summer and have a great Draft.
He's only been the captain for 1 year .
He will need 2 more years to right this ship.

He was evaluating his team and I'm sure he knows what we need after
that abysmal series.

Remember what Price told the fans in pre-season........relax

I for 1 believe he has done quite a bit in his 1 year tenure.
The future will glow a little brighter every year.

Chive on.
Great post, saved me lots of time lol

C.mon now, Prust, Gomez, Front office, traded NOT ONE draft pick, Therrien, Bouillon for cheap (great teacher), part of the decision to keep Galchenyuk and Gallagher in MTL, other things... A+ for M. Bergevin

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:14 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I wont criticize him because its his first year as a GM

We won our division, which is not bad for a 1st year GM, especially when you consider the fact we finished LAST in the EC last season, and the dead weight left by the previous GM's

You dont build a contender overnight, people

MB will make other moves that will improve our team ... this offseason during the draft, winter trade deadline, next offseason, etc ...

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:20 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post

Why you ask?

DD is worthless AND weak ... on no other team, other than Le Club de Hockey Canadien, would have this half-man be on the roster much less a top two center.

Are we pissed? Hell yes... but I guess we have to live with the fact that Le Club de Hockey Canadien's primary objective is no longer to win a championship, rather it is to be an entertainment product just like the WWF.

A hard reality to accept for a true Habs fan.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
I wont criticize him because its his first year as a GM

We won our division, which is not bad for a 1st year GM, especially when you consider the fact we finished LAST in the EC last season, and the dead weight left by the previous GM's

You dont build a contender overnight, people

MB will make other moves that will improve our team ... this offseason during the draft, winter trade deadline, next offseason, etc ...
I don't think anybody who is criticizing him were expecting him to build a contender but he has made some BAD moves which can potentially screw the team up for the next few years (if he doesn't make up for it):

1- Signing Moen to a 4 yr contract
2- Signing Desharnais to a 4 yr contract (no reason to rush, he was RFA and was having a horrible year)
3- Signing Price to a 6 year 6.5 M $
4- Not doing anything at the deadline
5- Signing Armstrong
6- Saying publicly that our goal was to make the playoffs at the deadline.

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

Positives: Subban good move, people say how we could of got him cheap, he also could of turned out a cocky Tyler Myers, big contract comfy type of player.

Michael Ryder trade: He gets rid of Cole's contract, and adds an early 3rd round pick.

Getting rid of Gomez

Hiring coaching staff, drafting Galchenyuk, signing the prospects, not going for Clower or Murray by trading away our picks, imagine if we would of had our first round exit missing a 2nd and 3rd round picks!

Negatives: Don't like DD's contract, Bouillon re-sign, signing Armstrong instead of Staubitz, lack of picking up a HW but I have faith in him, couple of rookie mistakes but he's well surrounded.

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:26 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
I don't think anybody who is criticizing him were expecting him to build a contender but he has made some BAD moves which can potentially screw the team up for the next few years (if he doesn't make up for it):

1- Signing Moen to a 4 yr contract
2- Signing Desharnais to a 4 yr contract (no reason to rush, he was RFA and was having a horrible year)
3- Signing Price to a 6 year 6.5 M $
4- Not doing anything at the deadline
5- Signing Armstrong
6- Saying publicly that our goal was to make the playoffs at the deadline.
I never said he was perfect

I agree with this list - except with number 4; he didnt make moves on trade deadline day, but he made them before that day; its not like he was slacking off

And MB is still a young GM in this league; he will learn from his mistakes

Old
05-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Lafleurs Guy

He did a great job. Weird to call the Subban signing dumb but that's how I feel about it. Short term gain for long term pain.

Anyways, if that's your worst move of the year I'd say you did really well. DD for four years isnt' looking great right now but he signed for good money and if we decided to deal him I don't think he'd be hard to move.

New culuture and I'm optimistic going forward.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
I never said he was perfect

I agree with this list - except with number 4; he didnt make moves on trade deadline day, but he made them before that day; its not like he was slacking off

And MB is still a young GM in this league; he will learn from his mistakes
He didn't do anything. We clearly lacked depth and I've screamed and screamed about this on HF and people told me "why do you want to change the chemistry, we are clearly a good team." Now THE SAME people tell me "it's good he didn't get anybody, we weren't close to the cup" ...WHICH ONE IS IT???? We had great chemistry and don't need anybody to win or we aren't good enough and we needed help! He could have EASILY GOT Jagr and Torres ....EASILY

No time to learn from your mistakes as the GM of the habs! You learn from this as an assistant GM or something else.

another mistake:

Subban bridge contract.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:33 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
He didn't do anything. We clearly lacked depth and I've screamed and screamed about this on HF and people told me "why do you want to change the chemistry, we are clearly a good team." Now THE SAME people tell me "it's good he didn't get anybody, we weren't close to the cup" ...WHICH ONE IS IT???? We had great chemistry and don't need anybody to win or we aren't good enough and we needed help! He could have EASILY GOT Jagr and Torres ....EASILY

No time to learn from your mistakes as the GM of the habs! You learn from this as an assistant GM or something else.

another mistake:

Subban bridge contract.
Yeah but we dont know everything that goes behind closed doors - Dreger, McKenzie, Lavoie dont know everything

Maybe he tried to make trades but the other teams wanted to much in return - and lets not forget MB is gonna rebuild the Habs through the draft, so no way he was going to give up prospects

Old
05-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Yeah but we dont know everything that goes behind closed doors - Dreger, McKenzie, Lavoie dont know everything

Maybe he tried to make trades but the other teams wanted to much in return - and lets not forget MB is gonna rebuild the Habs through the draft, so no way he was going to give up prospects
Don't care ...that was the excuse every year for like 10 years ...I want to win and I wanted good players, he didn't get it done.

He got softer by re-signing Desharnais and signing useless players like Moen

Old
05-09-2013, 11:39 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Well DD stinks but he had a good season last year - and he is not expensive, so I can let it go

Moen I totally agree with you - noticed that his first season here; he looked though in Anaheim because he had 2 tough dudes on his line