HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Common theme of the draft is SIZE down the middle. What is the future of our C's?

Old
05-10-2013, 02:29 AM
dre2112

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Trade away Plekanec? Just like guys like him come along everyday. He is a valuable player that does not need to go anywhere, offensive ability,excellent penalty killer,great face off man and also I forgot to mention he plays against all the top opposing forwards. Let DD or Eller try and do what he does and then we will see how they compare to him. I'm not downing either one of them but they are not in Plekanec territory just yet, he is our best overall forward.
Plekanec has proven to be an absolute waste of space in playoffs since he first joined the team. He's a decent player. He belongs on the team... as a 3rd line center. Otherwise he's just a glorified #1 taking up space from a real center. His "little girl" comments hold true, even today.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:32 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
Plekanec has proven to be an absolute waste of space in playoffs since he first joined the team. He's a decent player. He belongs on the team... as a 3rd line center. Otherwise he's just a glorified #1 taking up space from a real center. His "little girl" comments hold true, even today.
Whoever you are, you have no idea what you're talking about. One of the best forwards tonight in the loss? Plekanec... like always - meaning since Koivu left. He's an ideal #2 centre on any team, and can play with anyone in any situation.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:32 AM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
I agree, definitely not No. 1. But he is a fantastic number 3. Right now, I see Eller and Galchy as No. 1 and 2 (or at least being groomed as such) with Pleks as No. 3. As for DD, he's gone.

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:43 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_Apostle View Post
But he is a fantastic number 3.
Obviously, because you don't expect your number 3 to be able to handle 20 minutes every game and scoring more than 50 points every year.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
I agree, definitely not No. 1. But he is a fantastic number 3. Right now, I see Eller and Galchy as No. 1 and 2 (or at least being groomed as such) with Pleks as No. 3. As for DD, he's gone.

By the way, didn't read your first sentence when agreeing with your post. No, I wouldn't go so far as to call him a waste of space, but, yeah, he's not your go to guy either.

Last edited by Habs_Apostle: 05-10-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old
05-10-2013, 04:22 AM
Strat

Whoever says Pleks is a #3 centerman loses all credibility. He's one of the best 2nd-line centermen.

In 5 games, he got 4 points, tied for best point-producer of the team with Subban. Among other things, he's one of the smartest PK guys the Habs have. Just look at the Armstrong breakaway he generated.

Seriously, you guys have absolutely zero clue of what you're talking about whatsoever. And your above statements will forever tell me to not take anything you say seriously from this point onwards.

I'm blown away by the sheer amount of hockey ignorance I'm reading from you two. Wow... just wow.

Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:46 AM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat View Post
Whoever says Pleks is a #3 centerman loses all credibility. He's one of the best 2nd-line centermen.

In 5 games, he got 4 points, tied for best point-producer of the team with Subban. Among other things, he's one of the smartest PK guys the Habs have. Just look at the Armstrong breakaway he generated.

Seriously, you guys have absolutely zero clue of what you're talking about whatsoever. And your above statements will forever tell me to not take anything you say seriously from this point onwards.

I'm blown away by the sheer amount of hockey ignorance I'm reading from you two. Wow... just wow.
Listen, I love Pleks, he's one of my favorite players and I wouldn't trade him for all the world. He's incredibly valuable to this team as he can pay in all situations and is very reliable. Having said that, when the going gets tough and the team has to dig deep, fight in the trenches, Peks does have a tendency to disappear, shying away from the rough stuff. I would prefer a No 1 and 2 that are prepared to go to war when need be. Pleks can then settle in at No 3 and quietly (without having to get his hands too dirty) do all the little things needed for the team to win. Bottom line, on the team I'd be building to make a serious run at the Staney Cup, he's a No. 3. Otherwise, for the regular season, and for 1st round playoff exits, I agree, he's a great No. 2.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:20 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Listen, I love Pleks, he's one of my favorite players and I wouldn't trade him for all the world. He's incredibly valuable to this team as he can pay in all situations and is very reliable. Having said that, when the going gets tough and the team has to dig deep, fight in the trenches, Peks does have a tendency to disappear, shying away from the rough stuff. I would prefer a No 1 and 2 that are prepared to go to war when need be. Pleks can then settle in at No 3 and quietly (without having to get his hands too dirty) do all the little things needed for the team to win. Bottom line, on the team I'd be building to make a serious run at the Staney Cup, he's a No. 3. Otherwise, for the regular season, and for 1st round playoff exits, I agree, he's a great No. 2.
and yet, he was our best player along the boards the whole serie despite not being big or physical, and he was our forward with most points, and he was also the top Face Off C in the league up till the 4th or 5th game ...

and that's what you call disappearing

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:44 AM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
and yet, he was our best player along the boards the whole serie despite not being big or physical, and he was our forward with most points, and he was also the top Face Off C in the league up till the 4th or 5th game ...

and that's what you call disappearing
Fine, he is as gritty as Prust and can take over games like Eller. And I never said Pleks was the problem THIS series, but moving forward, trying to build a team that can make a serious run, I don't see him as our No 1 or, ideally, even no 2 center. I just don't see him being the guy to put the team on his back and carry us to victory. He is, however, a piece of he puzzle.

And, honestly, if Pleks is the best player along the boards, it's no wonder we lost in 5. Seriously, though, Pleks is going nowhere. There are by far more important issues that need to be addressed.

Last edited by Habs_Apostle: 05-10-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old
05-10-2013, 05:46 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Fine, he is as gritty as Prust and can take over games like Eller. And I never said Pleks was the problem THIS series, but moving forward, trying to build a team that can make a serious run, I don't see him as our No 1 or, ideally, even no 2 center. I just don't see him being the guy to put the team on his back and carry us to victory. He is, however, a piece of he puzzle.
even on contenders most top 6 players can't do any of those two.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:51 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:

And, honestly, if Pleks is the best player along the boards, it's no wonder we lost in 5. Seriously, though, Pleks is going nowhere. There are by far more important issues that need to be addressed.
and here you are trying to convince everyone Plekanec should be our #3 C...

Old
05-10-2013, 07:54 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Really, I think Plek, Eller and Galchenyuk is a fine center tandem with Halpern and either White or someone similar alternating for the 4th spot. I think the biggest question now is if we can get a physical scorer with size for the wings. Clarkson of course being the standard but with Gionta possibly missing time, now is a good opportunity to upgrade there.
I don't know if Galchenyuk is ready to be a full time center right now.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:56 AM
hockeyfan2k11

If you're going to get rid of Pleks, you better have a replacement.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:05 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Whoever wants to get rid of Pleks has no idea what they're talking about, he was our best forward all season long and played very well in the playoffs. If there's anyone who needs to go it's Desharnais, I believe that either Eller or Galchenyuk could easily take DD's spot next year.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Milhouse40

If Plek is a 3rd line center, then DD is 5th line center.

Come on poeple.
Experience is important down the middle.

I'm not against trading Plek, but only against another center with experience able to face top opposition.

Galchy-Eller-DD = Lack of experience, Lack of defensive ability
Plek-DD-Eller = Lack of size
Plek-DD-Galchy = Lack of size, grit, defensive ability and Lack of thoughness

But

Plek-Galchy-Eller = I don't see any major problem here....everything is cover !!

And from there, they will move up and down considering their age....

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:55 AM
couris

Having Plekachu paid like a #1 center and be our #1 center got us nothing in the last few years. Time to try something new and end this midget era.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Lionel Mandrake

vCash:
#1 Plekanec
#2 Eller
#3 Galchenyuk
#4 White/Dumont/Bournival/Leblanc/Youppi

Desharnais moved to wing.

That'll do for now. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:45 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Mandrake View Post
#1 Plekanec
#2 Eller
#3 Galchenyuk
#4 White/Dumont/Bournival/Leblanc/Youppi

Desharnais moved to wing.

That'll do for now. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Exactly, people saying we should move Plekanec are just clueless. He was a beast during the regular season and was good during the playoffs. Now as for Desharnais I don't know how anyone would want to keep him at center with the kind of young players we have right now who are ready to step up. It's clear that Eller is a better hockey player, the gap between Eller and Desharnais offensively isn't big. Eller might even be better, at least you know he's not always looking for the pass. Not to mention that his defensive game is awesome and he can be used in all situations. I don't think Galchenyuk needs another year at wing, he showed what he can do at the end of the year and in the playoffs.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Having Plekachu paid like a #1 center and be our #1 center got us nothing in the last few years. Time to try something new and end this midget era.
"Plekachu" makes less money than Grabovski. 5M is not high end 1C money and hasn't been for a long time. He is paid like one of the league's 30 best centers though...because he is.

Quote:
I never understood where the idea that Plekanec can't be useful against physical teams come from. He's not a physical player, but he's always a threat against the Bruins for instance - they can't contain his speed and he'd a pesty player who gets them to lose their cool. His PPG in the playoffs is only slightly lower than what it is in the regular season. This is despite being expected to slow down the opposition's best line and playing heavy defensive zone minutes. He got 4 points in 5 games in the playoffs...playing through a groin injury.

If you move Plekanec you better have a replacement. I love Eller but he's not going to carry lines lead by Desharnais and Galchenyuk to anything but the lotto.

Last edited by Et le But: 05-10-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:56 PM
WakeUpNHL

The habs next year center depth is:
1.Pleks
2.Chuckie
3.Eller
4.White (or UFA)
Desharanis in Hamilton

The habs in two years center depth is:
1. Chuchie
2. Pleks
3. Eller
4. White (UFA) Whoever
Desharnais in Hamiltion

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:00 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

You keep Pleks until one of Eller or Galchenyuk catch up or surpass him defensively. Any earlier than that and you're gonna get what you deserve.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:01 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
"Plekachu" makes less money than Grabovski. 5M is not high end 1C money and hasn't been for a long time. He is paid like one of the league's 30 best centers though...because he is.

I never understood where the idea that Plekanec can't be useful against physical teams come from. He's not a physical player, but he's always a threat against the Bruins for instance - they can't contain his speed and he'd a pesty player who gets them to lose their cool. His PPG in the playoffs is only slightly lower than what it is in the regular season. This is despite being expected to slow down the opposition's best line and playing heavy defensive zone minutes. He got 4 points in 5 games in the playoffs...playing through a groin injury.

If you move Plekanec you better have a replacement. I love Eller but he's not going to carry lines lead by Desharnais and Galchenyuk to anything but the lotto.
Pleks not going anywhere, right now he is the only top 6 center we have. Eller is/will be a great 3rd line center. Chuckie will become our top offensive center. Desharnais was supposed to be our stop gap top 6 center while Chuckie matures... it's safe to say that plan is out the window. Desharnais now has his money and has entered Gomez zone.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:07 PM
danyhabsfan

Id trade Desharnais to TB.

Julien Brisebois is still there.

Maybe we could get Purcell/Malone

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You keep Pleks until one of Eller or Galchenyuk catch up or surpass him defensively. Any earlier than that and you're gonna get what you deserve.
Eller could, but I seriously doubt Galchenyuk will ever catch up in this aspect.

However, he could become a bigger 5-on-5 threat when playing against top opposition... But even that is a few years away.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:22 PM
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !

bah necro.

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote