HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

May 9 • Sweden 0, Canada 3

Old
05-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Obiwan Eberle

vCash: 500
You'd have to think that Dubnyk would at least make the list of considerations...Smith's passing is a big plus though

Obiwan Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
Fleury and Olympic team are two words that should never appear in the same sentence ever again.
Except in combination with "Theo" & "alumni golf tournament"

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:53 PM
LaGu

Did we watch the same game?... Posters and media are starting to dismiss the SWE performance as crap, **** and worse but that's horse ****. Did you hear the stadium cheer for the team? They were cheering because the Swedes tried, and tried very well, but unfortunately came up against a M.Smith who was great and had a great deal of help bounces.

Canada was the better team, they showed better discipline and finish. That wasn't really unexpected, include the Sedins, Edler and maybe Lundqvist in goal and Canada will still be the better team... But seeing who we were fielding here, today, I'm freaking thrilled over our performance, which was by far the best so far this tournament (same for CAN by the way).

Last edited by LaGu: 05-09-2013 at 04:00 PM.
LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:16 PM
avsman

Andreas Jämtin really impressed me for Sweden, glad to see the Avs did well, some added D from the first round eliminations and this team is deadly

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Cruor

Canada's "wham bam thank you mam"-style of hockey never ceases to impress. We sure could use some of that killer instinct. Btw, Enroth cramped up due to dehydration as someone upthread said.

Cruor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:37 PM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
Totally! and I've seen more than 10 straight. Never before have I felt like Sweden has no chance against Canada. Sometimes Canada might have a stronger team on paper but win or lose, Sweden has always had a chance. Not this time, so this game was "meh" before they even dropped the puck.

I'm not upset or disappointed in the team either. They are just continuing to play the same way they have done since game 1. 2013 will go down as the worst WHC Tre Kronor team I've ever seen......for sure
The swedes lack star power for sure , but usually the home team does everything possible to do well with their preparation.
The Swedish coach looks more like an accountant, not that there anything wrong with accountants.
Wasn't very impressed with Swedish team in this game.

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:56 PM
jfc64

Sweden might face Switzerland (instead of Canada) if we lose or draw to Slovenien and Denmark. Won't be pretty, though...and a huge mental disadvantage if we face Canada later on.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
The skill level of the Canadian forwards is so far above that of any team that it's hard to see them not go very far. They can roll four lines that can outplay you.

Sweden was undressed today and they were clearly outskilled. And now it's looking like Sweden might meet Canada in the quarter finals.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:05 PM
JackSlater

Decent job by Canada, and I liked the way Sweden played in the third. Smith looks good in goal. All of the lines and pairings looked pretty good. Schenn continues to impress me.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:39 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Yeah we were okay in the 3rd but then again, Canada were just sitting back on a 3-0 lead and barely attacked so I think it was kind of decieving.
Where the hell was Loui?

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:04 PM
3rd Guy High

Ranger fan in peace. How did Lindberg look? Hoping he can make the rangers roster next year.

3rd Guy High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:14 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

I see a few complaints by Swedish posters about not having their best players being the reason they weren't able to compete against a stacked opponent today. I thought that was a Canadian excuse only...

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Toastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Guy High View Post
Ranger fan in peace. How did Lindberg look? Hoping he can make the rangers roster next year.
Pretty solid game. He didn't really stand out IMO

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
I see a few complaints by Swedish posters about not having their best players being the reason they weren't able to compete against a stacked opponent today. I thought that was a Canadian excuse only...
Haha

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:36 AM
MendelMu

Countries whom lack the depth of Canada, Russia and USA will probably always complain about not having there best player 'cause it effects them more.

Canada had 11 1st round drafts and Sweden hand 1 1st round draft on their team.

But that's not something we can change, we should not make excuses and focus on the things we CAN change.

This tournament is about doing your best with what you got, a lot of players are not available, some are injured and others are exahusted.

Look at a team like Switzerland whom plays like a team, that's doing the best of the situation.

We were not ought to win this game but Im frustrated because we don't do the best of the situation.

Probably the same frustration Canada get's a lot when their team is stacked with star players and they choke.

MendelMu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:47 AM
Dosing

Quote:
That excuse no longer works after the last wjhc

Dosing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:53 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
That excuse no longer works after the last wjhc
The rule doesn't apply when Steve Spott is the coach. Also, I find your avatar disturbing.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Uno Bench
Swedish citizen

Quote:
The rule doesn't apply when Steve Spott is the coach. Also, I find your avatar disturbing.
Is this a criticism of theese very popular Detroit drag queens avatars? Cant believe it.. I see my av. as brilliant idea, a poltical message for a stronger womens hockey influense in the world of hockey

Uno Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:48 AM
Swedish playmaker*

Impossible to beat Canada when our roster is made up by SEL and KHL players (except Loui and Gabriel).

Wish we would have had E. Karlsson, D. Alfredsson, N. Bäckström, H. Lundqvist, A. Steen, P. Berglund, The Sedins, V. Stålberg, O. Ekman Larsson, N. Kronwall, H. Zetterberg, C. Hagelin, P. Hörnqvist etc.

Swedish playmaker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:39 AM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno Bench View Post
Is this a criticism of theese very popular Detroit drag queens avatars? Cant believe it.. I see my av. as brilliant idea, a poltical message for a stronger womens hockey influense in the world of hockey
Huh....what ? Well, ok.....

True Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Oyabun

Quote:
And it still is a Canadian excuse only. After elimination, this is what some Canadians come up with even when you have quite a good team "The players don't care about this tournament" "This 3rd rate tournament isn't worth anything" "Just wait until the Olympics"

No Swede is saying that. This isn't about not having our best players.... Karlsson, Lundqvist etc.. Take a look at our roster. It is pretty damn far from having our best players and yet in our darkest hour, nobody is denigrating the value of this tournament.

Like a swedish commentator said in the studio "It felt like the Swedish players were skating around there with their autograph pads ready", when has that ever been said about WHC players in a Tre Kronor jersey. I wouldn't agree with that statement. They tried their best and deserve credit for it. At the same time it is not very entertaining when it's David vs. Goliath and David gets his ass kicked.

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:34 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
And it still is a Canadian excuse only.
Oh really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxenstierna View Post
Impossible to beat Canada when our roster is made up by SEL and KHL players (except Loui and Gabriel).

Wish we would have had E. Karlsson, D. Alfredsson, N. Bäckström, H. Lundqvist, A. Steen, P. Berglund, The Sedins, V. Stålberg, O. Ekman Larsson, N. Kronwall, H. Zetterberg, C. Hagelin, P. Hörnqvist etc.
This post just above you says otherwise.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:35 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendelMu View Post

Countries whom lack the depth of Canada, Russia and USA will probably always complain about not having there best player 'cause it effects them more.

USA? Last 10 years they have 0 medals. Sweden is that country with most medals if I rembember correct. Sweden got depth.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:38 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weide View Post
Lol @ Mårts on Swedish TV. Apparently we played like crap because Persson was injured...

and boork said that persson is a physical player.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Oyabun

Quote:
Oh really...

This post just above you says otherwise.
Does it ?. When I read it, I saw it as him saying kinda the same thing as I was. It's not about missing some of our best players, it's an army of players we are missing. One year is better than another but this level is not something I have ever seen.

While it diminishes my enjoyment of the game, I don't think it diminishes Canada's victory. Stamkos and a number of other Canadian starplayers signed up to represent their country so respect to them and they've fulfilled their part. I don't pick and choose when WHC medals matters and when it doesn't. The WHC medals always matters. A while back Russia had a stacked team that got the gold, they got a whole lot of grief (mostly from Canadians) but I couldn't understand why, I said the same thing then as I am saying now (except I didn't complain about Sweden during Russia's year)

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote