HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Czech Republic vs Slovakia (TSN -8:30AM)

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
Czech Republic vs Slovakia (TSN -8:30AM)

Next Game: Friday, January 2 - Quarterfinals
(Czech Republic vs Slovakia at 8:30 am et)

Defenseman Tomas Linhart vs #1 Goalie Jaroslav Halak

Should be interesting to watch to see if Halak can rob the Czechs and carry the team on his back.

Old
01-02-2004, 05:30 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Next Game: Friday, January 2 - Quarterfinals
(Czech Republic vs Slovakia at 8:30 am et)

Defenseman Tomas Linhart vs #1 Goalie Jaroslav Halak

Should be interesting to watch to see if Halak can rob the Czechs and carry the team on his back.
Bad bad goaltending by Halak, seems uninterested, no emotion, not confronting anybody, wow! hope it's only a bad game because doesn't look like a 9th round steal to me. We should try to go after that Schwarz goaltender from the Czechs, that guy will be drafted before the 4th round for sure. Really quick, looks like Jose but with Garon's quickness with his legs.

Linhart not that visible so far. Not making any real mistakes but he's not standing out of the crowd.

Is it or each time we had a prospect playing for that tournament, either we don't see them or they play really badly.

Old
01-02-2004, 05:36 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake
Bad bad goaltending by Halak, seems uninterested, no emotion, not confronting anybody, wow! hope it's only a bad game because doesn't look like a 9th round steal to me. We should try to go after that Schwarz goaltender from the Czechs, that guy will be drafted before the 4th round for sure. Really quick, looks like Jose but with Garon's quickness with his legs.

Linhart not that visible so far. Not making any real mistakes but he's not standing out of the crowd.

Is it or each time we had a prospect playing for that tournament, either we don't see them or they play really badly.
im thinking hes fatigued just a little slow transition, but yeah hes playing horrid right now.

Old
01-02-2004, 05:40 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake

schwarz would be a top 15 pick this year ...
and halak play isn't that bad ...
he played ok ... don't forget he's only 18 years old .. and lots to learn ..
+ he'll be coached this summer by Melanson .. im very happy with this pick ...

Old
01-02-2004, 05:50 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
schwarz would be a top 15 pick this year ...
and halak play isn't that bad ...
he played ok ... don't forget he's only 18 years old .. and lots to learn ..
+ he'll be coached this summer by Melanson .. im very happy with this pick ...
He played very well *so far* but I have to agree with one thing, this 2nd goal was not only a momentum killer but one of the biggest lemon I've seen in the WJC. Heck a garage league goalie would have stoped that without any kind of difficulty. He really looked like he had a brain cramp there. That was a little soft fluky from 25' with nobody in front of him, nor was it deflected. It was THE horrible goal that will likely cost his team a medal chance. There's no excuse for that kind of mental collapse in such tournament.

Even though I stand by that, I think Halak has nonetheless great technics (which didn't show up on that bad goal) and some quick legs. He has decent potential and his good performance in the tournament should not be completely overlooked because of this bad game. The players that make it to the NHL level are the ones with enough character to bounce back and learn from their mistakes. He's still young and inexperienced, so no worries.

Old
01-02-2004, 05:56 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
He played very well *so far* but I have to agree with one thing, this 2nd goal was not only a momentum killer but one of the biggest lemon I've seen in the WJC. Heck a garage league goalie would have stoped that without any kind of difficulty. He really looked like he had a brain cramp there. That was a little soft fluky from 25' with nobody in front of him, nor was it deflected. It was THE horrible goal that will likely cost his team a medal chance. There's no excuse for that kind of mental collapse in such tournament.

Even though I stand by that, I think Halak has nonetheless great technics (which didn't show up on that bad goal) and some quick legs. He has decent potential and his good performance in the tournament should not be completely overlooked because of this bad game. The players that make it to the NHL level are the one with enough character to bounce back and learn from their mistakes. He's still young and inexperienced, so no worries.
well if you want to fix your mind in one BAD goal ..
you could say that hackett,salo,cloutier are pure crap ...
both let in pure crappy goal.. but they are still very good goalie IMO .. nothing to worry about !! it's one freakin goal!!
give him a break .. if he let in bad goals regulary then it could worry me ..
but again with good coach and lots of work on his part i think everything is possible !!

Old
01-02-2004, 06:05 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
both let in pure crappy goal.. but they are still very good goalie IMO .. nothing to worry about !! it's one freakin goal!!
but again with good coach and lots of work on his part i think everything is possible !!
I understand your point, my biggest problem with him is the fact he's not confronting anybody, way back in his net, he won't survive one game playing that way in the NHL.

But again, I agree with you not to judge a career over one or two goals, I remember what I said to myself after seeing Vokoun's first game with us against Philly, I think, an 8-2 lost and look what kind of goalie he is now. It's just that I would've love seeing one prospect playing really well for once, like Parise's doing, or what Gagne did not so long ago compared to our friend Schweeeeenard.

See, just now Halak made 2 great saves so he's back being a reall good prospect...

Old
01-02-2004, 06:23 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Re-read what I wrote and you'll see I've basically already agreed with that.

Old
01-02-2004, 03:16 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I just watched the game, as I worked all freaking day.

Halak was looking good until the 2nd goal he let in. The first goal he had no chance on, as it was deflected on the side of him. The 2nd goal looked like it skipped off the ice and through his 5 hole, but it was very weak and should have been stopped. Czech's took over the game after that. The Slovak's do not have the fire power the Czech's do, so the weak goal that tied it 2-2 really hurt. Overall I still think he played an ok game, as he made a great save on Hudler point blank, and he had impressive numbers up until this game, as he only let in 2 goals in 3 games against Russia, Sweden and Austria, although he got peppered against the USA team.

Linhart on the other hand was not very impressive again. I watched him make some questionable moves that lead to 3 goals, but he does have good size and made a couple of decent hits. Didn't see much else, but I tried to focus on Halak tonight. I have two of Linhart's games on tape, and I'll most likely tape the Czech game tomorrow.

Old
01-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Halak was weak on 1 goal , he was ''so-so'' on another goal . The 2 others goal ( a defelection and a brain cramp by the D-men ) were not his fault .

His style is comparable to Khabibulin but he goes down more often , i think Rollie Melanson could do wonders with Halak .

About the game :
I like that Balaz kid (#7) , Ovcacik and Baranka looked real good too .

I hope the light don't go out in the medal rounds .

Closed Thread