HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) II

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) II

The off season starts now.

Continue here.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Nitehowl

Size

As Edm Sun writer Terry Jones tweeted ..good time to be a big
Oilers looking for size
Van looking for size
Habs looking for size

Old
05-09-2013, 10:45 PM
yianik

Let Army and Ryder walk. Resign Halpern as he is good at face-offs and the pk. Could also look at Steckel who is much bigger than Halpern, but slower and not physical. Think Id keep Halpern.
For the 4th line Id try to get Boll out of Columbus or Reaves out of the Blues. Both hit and fight, Reaves does more of both and is a very good fighter.Both are 26.
For UFAs Id try Clarkson. Scored 30 goals last year and on pace for 25 goals this year. Average size but hits and goes to dirty areas like Bourque. Is 29.He can also fight. Prefer him to Clowe. Will cost like $5M, but Giontas contract is up next year.
Trade Diaz ( we are deep with PMDs) as we need a big, physical, crease clearermore than 3 PMDs and Nathan B on the way, coule of years. Flyers need a PMD, try to get Grossman, who is 6 foot 4, 230lbs, hits though not nasty, good at PK and is only 28 with 3 years left on contract at $3.5M per.
Part of me says give DD a try with Patches and Clarkson, but if he fizzles again then no way to move him whereas now we still might be able to. Gives Galchenyuk a chance to be a center.
Team is bigger, more physical and tougher , more a play-off team. A leader like Iggy or Morrow would be nice but the price would probably be too high for what they will bring.

Last edited by yianik: 05-09-2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: forgot word
Old
05-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Et le But

Blues have a ton of free agents, I'd make reasonable offers to both Reaves and Stewart. They probably want to keep both but it's worth going for them as they won't be able to pay everyone.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Although it pains me to say it, I think DD should be traded along with Gionta. Of the three smurfs Gallagher is the only one I'd keep. Ryder will probably ask for too much so I'd let him walk. Patches I did not like his play all season long despite his stats but it's too soon to let him go. Dumont is too small to play his game but I'd keep him for one more year to see what he can do.

Patches Eller ****
Bourque Pleks ****
Prust Galchenyuk Gallagher
Moen Halpern/White Armstrong

That means we would need two wingers. I'd try to trade or sign two players in the Clarkeson, Clowe mold.

On defense Kaberle will be bought out and I'd trade Diaz, Webber & Drewiske. I'd drop Bouillon to 7th defenseman and look for a big tough physical defenseman to play with Subban.

Markov Emelin
****** Subban
Gorges Tinordi
Boullion

I'd also shop Price. See what I could get for him and what it would cost me to get a goalie ready to take on starting duties. If the difference between what I could get for Price and what it would cost me for the new starter is overwhelming I'd pull the trigger on the trade.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Habitant le colon

Shoping Price ... ohh ! may I try ??

We start a Great washup !!!!!!

Price, Plekanec and Leblanc vs Right to Mike Smith, Martin Hanzal, Rotislav Klesla and Connor Murphy

Then sign Clowe

is that a Basis of a new TEAM ? :

Petr Budaj
Mike Smith

Tinordi Gorges
Bouillon Subban
Markov Klesla
Diaz Beaulieu
(balanced pair not number 1 2 3 or 4 )

White
Moen Halpern Dumont
Prust Eller Galchenyuk
Pacioretty DD Clowe
Gallagher Hanzal Bourque

Old
05-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
Budaj proved he was a true #1 tonight

Old
05-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
Budaj proved he was a true #1 tonight
why not let him fight for the spot ...

Old
05-09-2013, 11:59 PM
KingGallagherXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Let Army and Ryder walk. Resign Halpern as he is good at face-offs and the pk. Could also look at Steckel who is much bigger than Halpern, but slower and not physical. Think Id keep Halpern.
For the 4th line Id try to get Boll out of Columbus or Reaves out of the Blues. Both hit and fight, Reaves does more of both and is a very good fighter.Both are 26.
For UFAs Id try Clarkson. Scored 30 goals last year and on pace for 25 goals this year. Average size but hits and goes to dirty areas like Bourque. Is 29.He can also fight. Prefer him to Clowe. Will cost like $5M, but Giontas contract is up next year.
Trade Diaz ( we are deep with PMDs) as we need a big, physical, crease clearermore than 3 PMDs and Nathan B on the way, coule of years. Flyers need a PMD, try to get Grossman, who is 6 foot 4, 230lbs, hits though not nasty, good at PK and is only 28 with 3 years left on contract at $3.5M per.
Part of me says give DD a try with Patches and Clarkson, but if he fizzles again then no way to move him whereas now we still might be able to. Gives Galchenyuk a chance to be a center.
Team is bigger, more physical and tougher , more a play-off team. A leader like Iggy or Morrow would be nice but the price would probably be too high for what they will bring.
Realistic I think. I'd approve.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:21 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post

Price, Plekanec and Leblanc vs Right to Mike Smith, Martin Hanzal, Rotislav Klesla and Connor Murphy

Then sign Clowe

Petr Budaj
Mike Smith

Tinordi Gorges
Bouillon Subban
Markov Klesla
Diaz Beaulieu

White
Moen Halpern Dumont
Prust Eller Galchenyuk
Pacioretty DD Clowe
Gallagher Hanzal Bourque
And how much do you think you'll sign Smith for?

I'm not sure I understand how you have Hanzal being our first line center either. You're talking about a guy that never cracked 35pts since his rookie year.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:34 AM
NewHabsEra*

My no.1 priority would be Clarkson..

Old
05-10-2013, 01:43 AM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
And how much do you think you'll sign Smith for?

I'm not sure I understand how you have Hanzal being our first line center either. You're talking about a guy that never cracked 35pts since his rookie year.
less than Price

For Hanzal let give him a chance until Galchenyuk is ready we need a big center ...

do you prefer it that way :

Clowe Eller Gallagher
Galchenyuk DD Pacioretty
Prust Hanzal Bourque
Moen Halpern Dumont
White

???

Old
05-10-2013, 02:23 AM
habsrule22

what about trading price to minnesota for a couple blue chip prospect they need to do well next year and they don t have a goalie. then trade for luongo we would be able to get him cheap. everybody make a big deal about his contract but its wiped out once he retires.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:33 AM
Draft

I think I'm ready to trade Plekanec. He's a #2C with good defensive awareness and ability. Moving into the future, he's not a game breaker and doesn't fit with our core. I love Plekanec, he's a huge part of the Habs and the team is essentially built around him at the moment. I just don't think we can be successful like that.

We lack 1st line players, simple as that. I'm still embracing the rebuild and there's no simpler way to change the face and direction of this franchise. I'm not devaluing his play, not saying our current centers would be able to handle the load, and I'm not saying the team will be better next year if we trade him. I just think now is the time to move him when his value's highest and his production isn't necessarily paramount to our future success.

Still love him doe.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:54 AM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I think I'm ready to trade Plekanec. He's a #2C with good defensive awareness and ability. Moving into the future, he's not a game breaker and doesn't fit with our core. I love Plekanec, he's a huge part of the Habs and the team is essentially built around him at the moment. I just don't think we can be successful like that.

We lack 1st line players, simple as that. I'm still embracing the rebuild and there's no simpler way to change the face and direction of this franchise. I'm not devaluing his play, not saying our current centers would be able to handle the load, and I'm not saying the team will be better next year if we trade him. I just think now is the time to move him when his value's highest and his production isn't necessarily paramount to our future success.

Still love him doe.
Just commented on this in another thread. Eller and Galchy have shown promise for our future No 1 and 2 centers. Why not just shift Pleks down to No 3? Not a game breaker, never will be, but he is stable, reliable, and does all the little things you need for a team to be successful.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:02 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_Apostle View Post
Just commented on this in another thread. Eller and Galchy have shown promise for our future No 1 and 2 centers. Why not just shift Pleks down to No 3? Not a game breaker, never will be, but he is stable, reliable, and does all the little things you need for a team to be successful.
For me, it's because his return could potentially net us a high-end offensive player or ~#2 defenceman if we trade him in the near future. In 3-4 years we could easily have another prospect play 3C. I just don't see the point in waiting until we can't get anything back for him. His production right now isn't essential as I personally don't feel the needs of the team are to win right now. That doesn't mean they need to tank or I want to see them lose, I just feel they're better off developing the players in their roles and making our run a little later.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:36 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:

I see you read what you wanted to in my post. I didn't say shop Price for a bag of pucks. This is what I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

I'd also shop Price. See what I could get for him and what it would cost me to get a goalie ready to take on starting duties. If the difference between what I could get for Price and what it would cost me for the new starter is overwhelming I'd pull the trigger on the trade.
The difference between the return for Price and the cost of the new starter has to knock my socks off. Otherwise, it's no go and we stay with Price.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Marc-E-

Priorities: Bryan Bickell, Viktor Stalberg and Mark Fistric on free agency market. They should be targets. I let walk Ryder, Armstrong and Halpern. I try to get rid of Travis Moen, Tomas Kaberle, Yannick Weber and Davis Drewiske.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:55 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

As an FYI for anyone who is trying to look at Clowe as an option. It's been reported that he is looking for 6-7 mill a season. If there is truth to this then I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:02 AM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
Priorities: Bryan Bickell, Viktor Stalberg and Mark Fistric on free agency market. They should be targets. I let walk Ryder, Armstrong and Halpern. I try to get rid of Travis Moen, Tomas Kaberle, Yannick Weber and Davis Drewiske.
Stalberg interests me, as does Rob Scuderi of the Kings. If we don't resign Halpern I'd take a look at Jerred Smithson. Very good on faceoffs and is good on the PK. Chris Stewart and Kyle Clifford would interest me through trade.

Last edited by Scotianhab: 05-10-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old
05-10-2013, 06:26 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
How many times are you going to write about Fristic? There's no room for him whatsoever and we already have a better version of him in Alexei Emelin.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post

Clarkson, gimme gimme!!!!

Old
05-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Rickkins

Trade Price.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:55 AM
Halifaxhab*

1.Kaberle - buyout (obvious I know)
2.Weber - traded for a pick (deserves a shot to play, won't get it here)
3.Resign Drewiskie (I know, I know, he's cheap and a good depth though, good team 1st guy, solid 3rd pairing in a pinch)
4. Let Ryder Walk, he'll want more than 4M over 3-4yrs. If he accepts 3.5 over 2, ok....but not likely
5.Sign a couple UFA's
-a. Eric Nystrom - excellent 4th line replacement, he actually plays a gritty finish your check game
-b.Try to sign a tough 3rd line type who can score. Clarkson? Clowe? Bickell? (Bickell would be my 1st choice as he would be the most physical and cheapest option)

Doing more would be unlikely.
Trade Gionta...sure, but where and for what? And will he even be able to play?
Trade DD....ok, but who wants him at what cost? Besides, move him to LW and he can be more useful in the short term.
Trade Moen. Ok, good luck with the new cap. Maybe at the deadline when it gets prorated

If Gionta can't play next year we'll have an added issue.

Surround Galchenyuk with some skill, leadership and experience on the 3rd line to help him along

If MB feels Tinordi needs more ice time in Hamilton, he'd need to sign another physical dman on a short term UFA deal....which is unlikely.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
DD - Eller - Bourque
Bickell - Galchenyuk - Gionta(if he can play)
Moen - Prust - Nystrom
White
(Maybe Halpern to taxi in with White if you feel White hasn't proven enough)

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Diaz
Bouillion
Drewiskie

Callups
Dumont
Leblanc
Bournival
Beaulieu
Pateryn

As the next deadline nears. Moen can be moved. Diaz will be worth alot more, and if Beaulieu is showing ready, Diaz could be moved too. At this point in time, even Markov becomes expendable to me. If we have youth that can fill a role as well as the expensive vet...why not trade and maximize your assets?

Draft:

We pick 22nd. Anthony Mantha should be available then. He's similar in style to Pacioretty and fills a need in our prospect pool (size and LW) If not than maybe Zykov

2nd round we could easily lay our hands on William Carrier and Samuel Morin two more players that fill the long term needs of the team.

EDIT: Ian McCoshen should also be a 2nd rd target. This kid is going to be a #3 dman someday (but he's a 4 year project)

3rd round, Anton Shlepyshev, he's a 1st rd talent in his 2nd go woth the draft, but the russian factor is involved. I would take a chance with our 2nd 3rd rd pick on him and try to convince him to come over with Emelin, Markov

Last edited by Halifaxhab*: 05-10-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old
05-10-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Then sign Clowe

Petr Budaj
Mike Smith

Tinordi Gorges
Bouillon Subban
Markov Klesla
Diaz Beaulieu

White
Moen Halpern Dumont
Prust Eller Galchenyuk
Pacioretty DD Clowe
Gallagher Hanzal Bourque
This will get us to the draft lottery. Brutal.

Closed Thread