HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ozolinsh

Old
09-25-2006, 04:01 PM
DontStaal

vCash: 500
Ozolinsh

I was reading over at blueshirt bulletin that the guy is at camp... this kind of struck me, i mean do you guys really expect to see bozo on the team this year? I think we, at this point, have 7/8 Dmen that can compete for the job better than he can..

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 04:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
I was reading over at blueshirt bulletin that the guy is at camp... this kind of struck me, i mean do you guys really expect to see bozo on the team this year? I think we, at this point, have 7/8 Dmen that can compete for the job better than he can..
Why did it strike you? He still has a contract.

09-25-2006, 04:10 PM
DontStaal

i just thought we were done and out with him. I realize he has a contract, i just thought itd be another mogilny situation

even he does make the team... ranger fans won't want him there. They'll practically boo him out of New York

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 04:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
i just thought we were done and out with him. I realize he has a contract, i just thought itd be another mogilny situation

even he does make the team... ranger fans won't want him there. They'll practically boo him out of New York
They might be done with him. But he's still going to go through the motions in order to get paid. He's fufilling his contract.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 04:27 PM
dkich96

Why is everyone being so harsh on Ozo? He is still the best QB we have on this team and his defensive side with a little work is better that Strudwick per se. I say give a guy a second shot, he might suprise us all.

dkich96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 04:32 PM
TheRedressor

Strudwick was MUCH BETTER defensively. However Ozo still is the best offensive defenseman on the roster. His skills on the PP are still elite.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 04:41 PM
dkich96

In addition, last season's down fall was blamed way too much on Ozo and the responsibility should have been allocated appropriately to everyone, including the coach for not employing players under the correct situations where they could flourish. (Hossa on the PK) Thus, I will argue that we as fans, should give Ozo a second shot at a limited role where he could and should succeed.

dkich96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 04:43 PM
hdw

Well he's still good on the ice, at least when sober.

Just make sure someone drives him to and from the arena

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Ola

I got a feeling that OZO just are sticking around to squess out the last dime he can get before retireing. I don't think he would be welcomed back, despite how politically correct Kaspar have been in the media.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 05:17 PM
TheRedressor

If its late Febrary I would welcome Ozolinsh back in a second to jump start our PP if Thomas Pock has not assumed the role.

Plus you never know with the end of the season, injuries happen.

Old
09-25-2006, 06:13 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkich96 View Post
In addition, last season's down fall was blamed way too much on Ozo and the responsibility should have been allocated appropriately to everyone, including the coach for not employing players under the correct situations where they could flourish. (Hossa on the PK) Thus, I will argue that we as fans, should give Ozo a second shot at a limited role where he could and should succeed.
Agreed. But he will still get booed mercilessly. Tom Poti is gone. Someone needs to fill that role. Enter "Bozo".

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 11:18 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I think Ozo has a part to play yet in a great Ranger season.

He will need to tough it out at MSG. But NYR's love a comeback. Especially if the guy delivers. All will be forgiven if we're winning

09-26-2006, 12:25 AM
Block More Shots

I'm willing to give Ozo another chance but I wouldn't be surprised if his defense doesn't improve at all. I could still see him playing like he did at the end of last season and that's just not good. The way he played during the playoffs though...man, just thinking about that is horrifying. I went to Game 2 and I can tell you now, he looked like an injury call-up playing his first NHL game. He'd pinch at the wrong times, got outplayed by the Devils forwards along the boards, and even managed to score a goal for the Devils

Let's just say that he was bad at the end of the season for us but he brought a new level of bad to the ice during the playoffs.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:30 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting for Dubi View Post
I'm willing to give Ozo another chance but I wouldn't be surprised if his defense doesn't improve at all. I could still see him playing like he did at the end of last season and that's just not good. The way he played during the playoffs though...man, just thinking about that is horrifying. I went to Game 2 and I can tell you now, he looked like an injury call-up playing his first NHL game. He'd pinch at the wrong times, got outplayed by the Devils forwards along the boards, and even managed to score a goal for the Devils

Let's just say that he was bad at the end of the season for us but he brought a new level of bad to the ice during the playoffs.
id rather see a rookie make those mistakes, cause they are young. Ozo is just a bum collecting a check.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Doyle

If hes used like Tverdovsky was with Carolina, I see no issue. And I hate him.

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:35 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRaws View Post
If hes used like Tverdovsky was with Carolina, I see no issue. And I hate him.
Tverdovsky would be an upgrade on Ozo.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 09-26-2006 at 09:28 AM.
BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Tverdovsky would be an upgrade on Ozo.
That's the thing, Ozo COULD be better than Tverdovsky if we use him better. No reason he should be seeing any PK time with his defensive abilities. Until his defense shows some improvement, he should be a 3rd pairing guy who plays a lot on the PP. Sure, he's an experienced vet, but when used too much he will end up hurting us.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 10:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Ozolinsh is making a quick recovery from his ACL surgery.He will be back by early November at the latest.Ozolinsh will count against the Rangers cap while is on LTI but when he is ready to play and come off the LTI,the Rangers will place him on waivers,he becomes a Packie and comes off the Rangers cap

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:06 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Ozolinsh is making a quick recovery from his ACL surgery.He will be back by early November at the latest.Ozolinsh will count against the Rangers cap while is on LTI but when he is ready to play and come off the LTI,the Rangers will place him on waivers,he becomes a Packie and comes off the Rangers cap

I do wonder that, if the PP continues to look turgid, if Ozolinsh going to Hartford will be a given. Clearly it bothered management enough last year for them to make the deal for Ozolinsh. If someone doesn't step up in that role, it is not inconceivable for the Rangers to give Ozolinsh another chance.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:07 AM
94now

Quote:
ranger fans won't want him there. They'll practically boo him out of New York
They are easy to please. Remember, they wanted to fire Sather badly at some point. Ozolinch has much less impressive resume than Slats, but he is an elite d-man, something we do not have at this time. One or two solid games and the crowd will love him.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:16 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Remember, they wanted to fire Sather badly at some point.
Which he was very clearly deserving.
Quote:
but he is an elite d-man
Hardly. He was never "elite", but he had some elite performances. However, he is pretty far removed from such accolades.
Quote:
One or two solid games and the crowd will love him.
Considering just how dreadfull he was, it is going to take a lot more than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I do wonder that, if the PP continues to look turgid, if Ozolinsh going to Hartford will be a given. Clearly it bothered management enough last year for them to make the deal for Ozolinsh. If someone doesn't step up in that role, it is not inconceivable for the Rangers to give Ozolinsh another chance.
Not a very cheery thought if you ask me. I think that most of us are all in agreement of just how truly mediocre last year's group of defensemen was. By bringing back Ozolinsh (presumably at the expesense of a Rachunek), the Rangers are right back to virtually the same mediocre bunch, save for replacing Poti w/ Ward. Not a very cheery thought, given how many times they were bailed out by a goalie standing on his head.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:18 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post

Not a very cheery thought if you ask me. I think that most of us are all in agreement of just how truly mediocre last year's group of defensemen was. By bringing back Ozolinsh (presumably at the expesense of a Rachunek), the Rangers are right back to virtually the same mediocre bunch, save for replacing Poti w/ Ward. Not a very cheery thought, given how many times they were bailed out by a goalie standing on his head.
I don't disagree. While I like the improvements at the forward position, and the team will benefits from the removal of Poti, and not having essentially a 7th D-man at best (Strudwick) playing regular minutes, I'm not enthralled by the look of the D right now. People can say how the PP runs through Jagr, but, IMO, there is a need for legit PP QB, and I don't think Cullen is it.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
TOzolinch...is an elite d-man, something we do not have at this time.
If Ozo is an elite defenseman, Rozsival is a lock hall-of-famer. By no means is Ozo an elite defenseman. In fact there are very few elite defensemen in the league. Off the top of my head, these are the guys I consider elite:

Pronger
Chara
Redden
Niedermayer
Lidstrom

A notch below:
Phaneuf (but getting there fast)
Blake
Pitkanen

That's it. And there is no way that Ozo is mentioned with any of those guys.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:30 PM
TheRedressor

I am sorry but Sandis Ozolinsh IS NOT and Elite defenseman. However he still possesses ELITE OFFENSIVE ABILITY.

Meaning let him play 3rd pairing with Aaron Ward and get about 8 minutes a night on even strength and then put him on the ice for the PP.

If given PP time he can STILL score 40-50 points.

Old
09-26-2006, 12:46 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If Ozo is an elite defenseman, Rozsival is a lock hall-of-famer. By no means is Ozo an elite defenseman. In fact there are very few elite defensemen in the league. Off the top of my head, these are the guys I consider elite:

Pronger
Chara
Redden
Niedermayer
Lidstrom

A notch below:
Phaneuf (but getting there fast)
Blake
Pitkanen

That's it. And there is no way that Ozo is mentioned with any of those guys.
Babcock will take him to Detroit any moment. After that he would become an elite. Is that what needs to be done to get a proof? Common, the guy anchored the entire Ducks defence at the time when Ranges were subpar (not to say garbage) team. Yes, they had a good goalie back then, but so do Rangers now.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote