HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) II

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2013, 08:14 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
This will get us to the draft lottery. Brutal.
I almost puked.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:18 AM
S Bah

The Habs have played beyond anybodies expectations this season. The playoffs though, show the actual depth in the system, in need of players at every position.

The plan as far as I know is to build the team through the Bulldogs, and they were the cellar dwellers in the AHL. So Bergevin and his Asst. GM's along with Timmins and his staff are in for a long summer. Trying to find adequate veterans to play with all the young prospects the Habs have in Hamilton. The Entry Draft is deep, but the Habs would need to trade up to acquire a player, one that's NHL ready.

Bergevin could move a player/players to accomplish getting a pick that can step into the Habs lineup, as people are suggesting. After watching their team being dismantled by the Ottawa Senators, it's obvious the Habs lack players with the talent and physical strength to succeed in the playoffs.

I have watched closely the play of Nikita Zadorov this season, he has all of the necessary skill and physicality that are required. If Bergevin can somehow arrange to acquire Zadorov, a big hole in Montreal's defence would be sealed.

Another defenceman they have looked at is Johnathan Diaby, drafting him in the 2nd round is a must in my mind. Armed with Zadorov, Tinordi and Diaby joining a defence with Subban, Beaulieu, Emelin and Thrower/Bennett within 3-4 yrs. A better group of defencemen on one team, would have to be a National All Star team like Team Canada.

The other weakness being the lack of forwards with the strength and physical wherewithal, that can punish the opposition. This meaning their forwards and defencemen being hit and checked into submission by an unrelenting attack from sizable men with a purpose.

Ryan Clowe and David Clarkson rapidly come to mind, as they are available this summer as UFA's. Adding these two players will change the way opponents take liberties with the non/combative forwards and dmen the Habs now have.

The Entry Draft should also be used to acquire more players in the Clowe/Clarkson mode for the future. These players will hopefully join the defensive group above with the offensive players such as Collberg, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty etc.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

If we go into next season with the same D we had this year, then we're off to a bad start.

Dump Kaberle, dump Weber - heck, dump Diaz or even Markov. Bouillon should go pound salt. I knew losing Emelin was tough, but the guy's a #4 D-Man. We shouldn't fall to pieces with just him out, but because he's our only physical guy (before Tinordi, and Subban only chips in infrequently) then it was a bigger loss than it should be.

We need a guy who can be strong, play the body, and insulate Subban - dare I say, like a Marc Methot?

Old
05-10-2013, 08:37 AM
CGG

We're not getting Clowe or Clarkson or other big time UFA names out there. Think smaller scale, 3rd and 4th liners, shorter term deals. These guys are more realistic:

1. Viktor Stalberg
2. Bryan Bickell
3. Boyd Gordon
4. Some guy who gets bought out.

You're not getting rid of DD, and you don't need to, he's not that bad. $3.5 million is not a crazy amount of money. With a $64.3 million cap, the average salary on a cap team is $2.8 million. Factor out the backup goalie, # 7 defense and # 13 & # 14 forwards, and you can spend $3.3 million per player on average. So $3.5 million to DD is not crazy.

Eller solves the "size" issue down the middle, he'll take on a bigger role. He's your new # 2 centre, if that makes anyone feel better, and DD will be # 3.

Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher are all potentially first line wingers. Yes, Galchenyuk, at least one more year on the wing. Look for a step up in production.
Bourque and Gionta are 2nd liners at worst.

We still have fairly good scoring depth, even if Ryder doesn't come back.

Bergevin is not going to be swinging for the fences here, look for him to fill in holes on the 3rd and 4th lines, that's it.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:41 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
We're not getting Clowe or Clarkson or other big time UFA names out there. Think smaller scale, 3rd and 4th liners, shorter term deals. These guys are more realistic:

1. Viktor Stalberg
2. Bryan Bickell
3. Boyd Gordon

You're not getting rid of DD, and you don't need to, he's not that bad. $3.5 million is not a crazy amount of money. With a $64.3 million cap, the average salary on a cap team is $2.8 million. Factor out the backup goalie, # 7 defense and # 13 & # 14 forwards, and you can spend $3.3 million per player on average. So $3.5 million to DD is not crazy.

Eller solves the "size" issue down the middle, he'll take on a bigger role. He's your new # 2 centre, if that makes anyone feel better, and DD will be # 3.

Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher are all potentially first line wingers. Yes, Galchenyuk, at least one more year on the wing. Look for a step up in production.

Bergevin is not going to be swinging for the fences here, look for him to fill in holes on the 3rd and 4th lines, that's it.

I agree. I don't see us making any big moves. I disagree with DD, though. He is that bad because he takes up a valuable roster spot and takes minutes away from better players. He takes up PP time and plays way too many minutes being a useless player. Even if he played well, his skillset is limited and he is small. I'd love to see him moved but it won't happen since Bergy just signed him and will want to give him another chance.

i see us getting maybe another dman and a couple bottom 6 guys and that's about it. The team will be much the same next year.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Beaucoup de travail a faire!!!!!

Enjoy your busy summer Marc!!!

Old
05-10-2013, 08:53 AM
thegreatgasby*

YES lets trade price just before he enter is prime....alright lets be serious.

if i am marky marc i go all in for clarkson..even tho i know toronto want him bad also..make it even better..

in the draft i take jordan subban with our first pick 27 overall and bank on it like bosses

Old
05-10-2013, 09:01 AM
otto bond

My keepers are:
Price
Subban
G11
G27
Patch

Anything else is good to go given the value.
I would love a Clarkson, Reeves, Fristic type of player added all 3 if possible.
I would keep Ryder for anything less then 4millions.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Emanresu Wen

Andrei Kostitsyn?

Would anyone else like to have him back?

He has a physical aspect of the game that we lost when sending Cole to Dallas, could take Ryder's spot as well

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Kostitsyn

Old
05-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
No no no no no! We don't need any more lazy and soff players.

This guy was a disaster, let him stay away from the team.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Bergevin must do everything in his power to get Shea Weber with only PK as the one not on the table for that trade. There's a short window for Nashville to trade Weber and it's this summer.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
We have enough lazy players, we need players that want to get involved in the play. And there is 0% change Therrien would want him if Bergevin would ask him

Old
05-10-2013, 09:06 AM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Physical aspect? Sure, Kostitsyn can hit like a truck, but he never did it on a regular basis in Montreal on his first stint.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:08 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

No, not really w/ AK used to like him but he never rose to his potential IMO. This "bring 'em back" trend, I dunno why it is so common in Montreal?

Old
05-10-2013, 09:09 AM
couris

no thanks.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:09 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Let's go foward

Old
05-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

I'm going to say yes.

Despite the popular "lazy" narrative, he would actually play well in the playoffs. He was actually becoming fairly consistent as a decent 2nd/3rd line winger last season playing with Eller, when for some reason the Randys decided to disband that successful duo.

He can score 20-25 goals, he can be one of your team's leaders in hits, he can help on the PP, he can set plays up nicely, he has proven chemistry with Eller and Plekanec, and he'll cost you much less than other comparable players (e.g. Ryder). At a 2.5M-3M/year cap hit, I think Kostitsyn would be a good signing. I also suspect he'd have terrific chemistry with Galchenyuk - Kostitsyn has the requisite skill level to complement a player like Galchenyuk nicely.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
Shoping Price ... ohh ! may I try ??

We start a Great washup !!!!!!

Price, Plekanec and Leblanc vs Right to Mike Smith, Martin Hanzal, Rotislav Klesla and Connor Murphy

Then sign Clowe

is that a Basis of a new TEAM ? :

Petr Budaj
Mike Smith

Tinordi Gorges
Bouillon Subban
Markov Klesla
Diaz Beaulieu
(balanced pair not number 1 2 3 or 4 )

White
Moen Halpern Dumont
Prust Eller Galchenyuk
Pacioretty DD Clowe
Gallagher Hanzal Bourque
Horrible plan...even worse when you consider Smith will be a UFA.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
Would anyone else like to have him back?

He has a physical aspect of the game that we lost when sending Cole to Dallas, could take Ryder's spot as well

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Kostitsyn
Too inconsistant. Would be a downgrade from Ryder.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
I'm going to say yes.

Despite the popular "lazy" narrative, he would actually play well in the playoffs. He was actually becoming fairly consistent as a decent 2nd/3rd line winger last season playing with Eller, when for some reason the Randys decided to disband that successful duo.

He can score 20-25 goals, he can be one of your team's leaders in hits, he can help on the PP, he can set plays up nicely, he has proven chemistry with Eller and Plekanec, and he'll cost you much less than other comparable players (e.g. Ryder). At a 2.5M-3M/year cap hit, I think Kostitsyn would be a good signing. I also suspect he'd have terrific chemistry with Galchenyuk - Kostitsyn has the requisite skill level to complement a player like Galchenyuk nicely.
Well said.

We didn't draft player x,y, or z from the most awesome draft ever, let it go.

Minnesota drafted Pouiliot - 4th overall, Sheppard - 8th overall and traded Leddy for Barker and they are still a much better team then us, lol.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post

1. Viktor Stalberg
2. Bryan Bickell
3. Boyd Gordon

I agree with what you're saying on DD.

At his cap hit and production, it makes no sense to do something dumb like A-rush Galchenyuk when it's plainly obvious that his all around game is not ready to play a big role or B-spend big bucks on a center(Weiss or whoever)

I see center as a position of strength that should only improve going forward. I can see DD getting moved out or moved to the wing off seson of 2014 and moving Galchenyuk to center.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

There's a reason why no team in this league want to touch AK. Now, are the Habs less smarter than them?

Look around the league, teams want players with determination and the killer instinct, not supreme floaters.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:34 AM
DenverHabsFan

I judge players based on their compete level in the playoffs. For me, that's 11,27,76 plus Eller and everyone else I could not care less. Guys like MaxPac and Gorges run their mouth but they can't walk the talk. Really mad at Gorges in particular. That's the guy who says rookies should just shut up and listen to his infinite wisdom?

These playoffs (and previous) made two things very clear to me:

(1) PK is a superstar. You can count on him to have a huge game when everything is on the line. He's now the face of the franchise and I hope he gets serious consideration as future captain.

(2) We never replaced Saku and Kovalev as far as having a forward who can score a huge goal in a playoff game. Eventually 11+27 will get there but we should try to acquire a guy like Vanek or similar game breaker. Watch Marian Hossa and see what I'm talking about.

The only silver lining of making the playoffs and losing in such a manner is that it exposes the true character of our players. We have very, very few character players.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
If we go into next season with the same D we had this year, then we're off to a bad start.

Dump Kaberle, dump Weber - heck, dump Diaz or even Markov. Bouillon should go pound salt. I knew losing Emelin was tough, but the guy's a #4 D-Man. We shouldn't fall to pieces with just him out, but because he's our only physical guy (before Tinordi, and Subban only chips in infrequently) then it was a bigger loss than it should be.

We need a guy who can be strong, play the body, and insulate Subban - dare I say, like a Marc Methot?
So let's dump everybody? What's your plan to replaced all these "dumped" players.

I'm not suggesting they bring back the whole D. Kaberle has to be bought out. Weber needs a fresh start somewhere where his skillset is the right fit. Tinordi I think he isn't ready and this series exposed him quite a few times. Let him play another yaer AHL, he can be called up for injuries or if his game takes a huge step forward.
Diaz I don't see any good reasons to move him. Pateryn could also be a factor next year.

Getting Emelin back plus adding a big stay at home guy(Regehr? Fistric?) brings us to the right mix.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

- Get rid of either Gionta or Desharnais
- Let Ryder walk
- Buyout Kaberle
- Sign Clowe or Clarkson
- Sign a crease clearing defenseman
- Sign cheap enforcer as our 14th forward

Closed Thread