HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

luongo

Old
05-10-2013, 09:11 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Full NTC (Exception 1: Player can supply five-team trade list following final game of 2013-14, valid through July 15, 2014; Exception 2: If player does not submit trade list as documented in Exception 1, team can request a five-team trade list following final game of 2017-18 season, valid through Sept. 1, 2018. If player submitted a trade list in 2014 and was not moved, team loses right to request trade list in 2018.)
Per capgeek.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Coolburn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Per capgeek.
Yup so he can be put on waivers since he doesnt have a NMC but just a NTC. You know 2 of the teams on his 5 team list is Tampa & Florida so that limits it to 3 other possible teams that he would accept a trade to.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Pantherfan12

I'm down! *If* Luongo somehow got out of his current contract and Tallon could bring him on board for a 2-3 year deal, at a decent price, then Yes! Luongo is better than Theo and Clemmer and he could help take the pressures off of Markstrom so Markstrom could concentrate on his game. Having a 1a/1b tandem of Luongo/Markstrom seems like one of the best in the league, or at least the East and it seems to be a win/win for everyone. We solidify our goaltending with Markstrom,who is currently working at molding his game,and becoming a great goaltender who should be the future of this team, all the while signing a top 10 goaltender, who doesn't have a contract that is ridiculous,and finally gets out of Van and back home with his family here in S.Fla.

Like I said, I'm down!

Mackinnon
Weiss
Luongo
and maybe Trocheck

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:41 AM
harv3317

Quote:
Per capgeek.
so does that mean he can't be traded until the end of next season if he refuses a trade?

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:56 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Islanders.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:57 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I'm down! *If* Luongo somehow got out of his current contract and Tallon could bring him on board for a 2-3 year deal, at a decent price, then Yes! Luongo is better than Theo and Clemmer and he could help take the pressures off of Markstrom so Markstrom could concentrate on his game. Having a 1a/1b tandem of Luongo/Markstrom seems like one of the best in the league, or at least the East and it seems to be a win/win for everyone. We solidify our goaltending with Markstrom,who is currently working at molding his game,and becoming a great goaltender who should be the future of this team, all the while signing a top 10 goaltender, who doesn't have a contract that is ridiculous,and finally gets out of Van and back home with his family here in S.Fla.

Like I said, I'm down!

Mackinnon
Weiss
Luongo
and maybe Trocheck
If you live in the area, you most likely feel like this!!~!! He didn't leave, he was traded.

Last edited by CHGoalie27: 05-12-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old
05-12-2013, 08:36 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
so does that mean he can't be traded until the end of next season if he refuses a trade?
Pretty much.

Full NTC means that Luongo holds all the cards and can void any trade he doesn't like, thou IMO at this point Lu will take a trade to any team that wants him.

If Yotes move or get a local owner that wants to take on Lu's contract, they could be a real dark horse in this whole thing IMO.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:16 AM
Bure All Day

Nucks fan here. just posted this on my board, wondering on ur guys' thoughts..

To FLA

Luongo + 2nd + prospect (Jensen type player)

To VAN

B. Campbell

EDIT: And if you're not in need of a Jensen type player, maybe Frankie Corrado or Chris Tanev who have looked great for us on D

Last edited by Bure All Day: 05-13-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Bure All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:06 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure All Day View Post
Nucks fan here. just posted this on my board, wondering on ur guys' thoughts..

To FLA

Luongo + 2nd + prospect (Jensen type player)

To VAN

B. Campbell

EDIT: And if you're not in need of a Jensen type player, maybe Frankie Corrado or Chris Tanev who have looked great for us on D
Dude, can you just stop posting anything regarding the Panthers, PLEASE! We have NO USE for Luongo right now, especially when you consider his contract. You've made enough ridiculous proposals regarding the Panthers, without knowing anything about our organization. No more

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:10 AM
Bure All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Dude, can you just stop posting anything regarding the Panthers, PLEASE! We have NO USE for Luongo right now, especially when you consider his contract. You've made enough ridiculous proposals regarding the Panthers, without knowing anything about our organization. No more
You don't think he could really help mentor Markstrom, the way he did with Schneider, until he's ready to be a full-time starter? Not to mention you guys would be almost guaranteed to make the playoffs with him.

Bure All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:22 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
You don't think he could really help mentor Markstrom, the way he did with Schneider, until he's ready to be a full-time starter? Not to mention you guys would be almost guaranteed to make the playoffs with him.
I think he would be motivated to be back home, but the Panthers will not take that contract back, even if someone like Upshall was included. We do not have the revenue to add that much salary to this team, and we arent going to give up anyone significant for him (certainly not Soupy). The ONLY way Luongo is a Panther again is if he signs with us after Vancouver buys him out, if it leads to that.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:04 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I think he would be motivated to be back home, but the Panthers will not take that contract back, even if someone like Upshall was included. We do not have the revenue to add that much salary to this team, and we arent going to give up anyone significant for him (certainly not Soupy). The ONLY way Luongo is a Panther again is if he signs with us after Vancouver buys him out, if it leads to that.
^ What pb said.

IMO Markstrom becoming a bona-fide number 1 isn't that far away, then what? We're just going to let the 6.7 million dollar man sit on the bench again?

Yeah, rather keep our 25-30 minutes a night eating PMD than have the leagues most expensive backup.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:24 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
^ What pb said.

IMO Markstrom becoming a bona-fide number 1 isn't that far away, then what? We're just going to let the 6.7 million dollar man sit on the bench again?

Yeah, rather keep our 25-30 minutes a night eating PMD than have the leagues most expensive backup.
If Luongo were to be bought out, and wanted to come back to Florida, I dont want to stunt the growth of Markstrom. Id like to see Theodore re-signed, and Clemmer gone somehow, as I think that would be the ideal tandem for us.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
I love how everyone guarantees we're in the playoffs with him. Remember, we've had him in FL before and he never got us into the playoffs. There's zero guarantees that adding him would do anything for the team. We need scoring more than we need goaltending help. Losing the #1 d-man (who does add to the offense) would not help at all and would most likely make us worse both offensively & defensively so we wouldnt be guaranteed of making the playoffs at all.

As everyone has said, the only way he's gonna be back with the Panthers is if Vancouver buys him out first. Roberto admitted it that his contract "sucks" and if he didnt have that, he'd probably be moved by now (and possibly to FL). So if the Canucks do that, I'd be okay with signing him to a 2 yr deal max.

Old
05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I love how everyone guarantees we're in the playoffs with him. Remember, we've had him in FL before and he never got us into the playoffs. There's zero guarantees that adding him would do anything for the team. We need scoring more than we need goaltending help. Losing the #1 d-man (who does add to the offense) would not help at all and would most likely make us worse both offensively & defensively so we wouldnt be guaranteed of making the playoffs at all.

As everyone has said, the only way he's gonna be back with the Panthers is if Vancouver buys him out first. Roberto admitted it that his contract "sucks" and if he didnt have that, he'd probably be moved by now (and possibly to FL). So if the Canucks do that, I'd be okay with signing him to a 2 yr deal max.

With Marky becoming RFA, What do u see as a new contract for him? If we had luongo signed, would that mitigate some of that cost as Luongo would be our leverage?

Last edited by adam graves: 05-13-2013 at 11:57 AM.
adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
With Marky becoming RFA, What do u see as a new contract for him? If we had luongo signed, would that mitigate some of that cost as Luongo would be our leverage?
Assuming Tallon doesnt want to just qualify him for what we be $826,875 next yr, I think its hard to find a comparable contract for him right now. Markie hasnt quite proven enough yet so I would say something like a 2 yr deal for him, something in the range what Holtby got ($1.85M/yr) and what Bishop got ($2.3M/yr). If I'm Tallon, I would offer $1.75M on a 2 yr deal personally and let him prove that he's gonna be the true #1 those next 2 yrs.

I dont think having Luongo signed would be any kind of leverage at all. Markstrom needs a mentor but not a guy that will be in his way after next season and thats what Luongo would be. If we wanted leverage in the negotiations of Markstrom, re-signing Theo would give Tallon that IMO. I can definitely see that happening too and that wouuld actually be to our benefit. If Theo can return to form, he'd form an excellent tandem with Markie and then we can unload Clemmensen ASAP.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Marky is not going to get anything significant with a contract until he shows something at the NHL level. If he establishes himself as a starter and posts a .910 save percentage and is over .500, then he'll get maybe a 2 year deal worth a couple million, but given his injury troubles, mediocre stats, and inconsistency, he's not yet anywhere close to the point of becoming a concern to sign.

I think he accepts a qualifying offer or something just north of that on a 2 year deal. He really has almost no leverage yet.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:59 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Assuming Tallon doesnt want to just qualify him for what we be $826,875 next yr, I think its hard to find a comparable contract for him right now. Markie hasnt quite proven enough yet so I would say something like a 2 yr deal for him, something in the range what Holtby got ($1.85M/yr) and what Bishop got ($2.3M/yr). If I'm Tallon, I would offer $1.75M on a 2 yr deal personally and let him prove that he's gonna be the true #1 those next 2 yrs.
Anything over 1.5 per is overpayment at this point. DT holds all the cards and Markstrom hasn't proven anything yet, thou most of that is because of the piss poor defence we had this year, but anyway.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Anything over 1.5 per is overpayment at this point. DT holds all the cards and Markstrom hasn't proven anything yet, thou most of that is because of the piss poor defence we had this year, but anyway.
Maybe, but I was looking for comparable contracts (which is what most agents & GMs do BTW) and recently signed ones too. Holtby only this yr established himself as the starter for Washington. He just signed a 2 yr extention at $1.85M/yr. Holtby never had super stats in the minors either and never played more than 40 games in the AHL. Holtby just had one half season more of development in the AHL than Markstrom. So I'm thinking Markie's agent is gonna try to use that as a comparable to negotiate a contract. Bishop has proven less than both and he is getting $2.3M/yr for the next 2 yrs so its not gonna be impossible to see Markstrom get more than $1.5M/yr easily.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:43 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Maybe, but I was looking for comparable contracts (which is what most agents & GMs do BTW) and recently signed ones too. Holtby only this yr established himself as the starter for Washington. He just signed a 2 yr extention at $1.85M/yr. Holtby never had super stats in the minors either and never played more than 40 games in the AHL. Holtby just had one half season more of development in the AHL than Markstrom. So I'm thinking Markie's agent is gonna try to use that as a comparable to negotiate a contract. Bishop has proven less than both and he is getting $2.3M/yr for the next 2 yrs so its not gonna be impossible to see Markstrom get more than $1.5M/yr easily.
Holtby had the run in the playoffs last year and he did guide Caps to division champs this year, so he's proven something already and IMO could have gotten more than 1.85 if he had just waited longer.

Bolts, or more like Yzerman showed already last year that he's not afraid to overpay an unproven goalie. We all know how that turned out this year lol.

Point is, Markstrom hasn't proven anything yet on the NHL level. And I've said since last offseason, that IMO money isn't going to be the most important thing for him, but that he gets a 1-way deal.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Holtby had the run in the playoffs last year and he did guide Caps to division champs this year, so he's proven something already and IMO could have gotten more than 1.85 if he had just waited longer.

Bolts, or more like Yzerman showed already last year that he's not afraid to overpay an unproven goalie. We all know how that turned out this year lol.

Point is, Markstrom hasn't proven anything yet on the NHL level. And I've said since last offseason, that IMO money isn't going to be the most important thing for him, but that he gets a 1-way deal.
Like I said, I struggled to find a comparable contract. The closest ones I could find were Holtby, Bishop, and (though I didnt mention him) Reimer ($1.8M/yr on a 2yr deal). All did have more experience than Markstrom so its hard to judge. I think if Tallon wants him signed to a 2 yr deal, he'll pay a little more to do that than what his value is. Otherwise, he can just qualify him for next yr and pay him just over $825K. I can see that as more of a possibility than signing him long term TBH. But then we could be paying closer to Bishop money+ in that following yr (assuming Markie establishes himself next yr) so it would probably even out in the long run that it'll be more than $1.5M/yr.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:03 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
That's not the problem. What do we do with him when Markstrom surpasses him in a year? We don't have deep pockets for a buyout like you.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:04 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Only thing makes me worry is Markstrom's chances of injuries...

DiPietro was actually worth that oh so classic contract too.

Either way, I'd feel pretty ****ing safe with Markstrom and Luongo fighting for the spot.

For as long as we'd have Luongo at this point, we have enough talent coming in that'll cost us ELC dollars to afford them. Marky really hasn't proven **** yet, lucky for our GM that knows how good he is. (SEE: PanthersRule96 most recent post.)

Upshall is as good as gone IMO, no offense to him, we just ran out of room.

I'm afraid in the mix of his goodwill, Grimaldi might donate his salary to the church and ask for more because he feels the church is worth way more than him. SO we might have to get rid of the second coming of MSt.Louis.

Sorry for the BS, the more I think about it, the more I want him to come home, rejuvenated. He's still Roberto MF Luongo, just needs to get his mind right, and very well could back home.

Old
05-24-2013, 03:40 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Only thing makes me worry is Markstrom's chances of injuries...

DiPietro was actually worth that oh so classic contract too.

Either way, I'd feel pretty ****ing safe with Markstrom and Luongo fighting for the spot.

For as long as we'd have Luongo at this point, we have enough talent coming in that'll cost us ELC dollars to afford them. Marky really hasn't proven **** yet, lucky for our GM that knows how good he is. (SEE: PanthersRule96 most recent post.)

Upshall is as good as gone IMO, no offense to him, we just ran out of room.

I'm afraid in the mix of his goodwill, Grimaldi might donate his salary to the church and ask for more because he feels the church is worth way more than him. SO we might have to get rid of the second coming of MSt.Louis.

Sorry for the BS, the more I think about it, the more I want him to come home, rejuvenated. He's still Roberto MF Luongo, just needs to get his mind right, and very well could back home.
If Lu was signed for 4-5 years, could we afford him? Probably. Would Tallon have already traded for him? Probably.

Bottom line is, Lu is signed for 9 years. No way ownership is taking on that contract, if they're worrying about Santorelli's 1.6 million in the minors and forcing Kovalev to retirement to skip paying him a massive 1 million.

Old
05-24-2013, 05:40 PM
GernBlanston

I don't want to get into the should/shouldn't we with Luongo - that's been beaten to death. But I will share something I heard Scott Laughlin talking about with someone on his XM show a few weeks ago.

While the CBA forbids the negation of his contract with Vancouver, there is a possible out. It would probably be messy and might even get someone in trouble with the league... BUT... if Luongo failed to report to training camp in September, the 'Nucks could simply void his contract for breach of contract. The "how" is a little more involved than that, but it was pointed out that a dozen players in the last 10 years or so have had their contracts voided for exactly this reason. Of course, none of them were as high-profile as Lu, and none of their contracts were nearly this contentious.

I honestly don't know if I have an opinion one way or another about whether I'd like to see him in a Panthers' sweater again... but I thought it was an interesting conversation, and a loophole I'd never heard of.

GernBlanston is offline   Reply With Quote