HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who's to stay and who's to leave?

Old
05-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Bieber fever

vCash: 500
So you have 2 " prust type of player" and the real prust on the 4th line

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:44 AM
WestIslander

I would ONLY build around:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Bourque - Plekanec - XXXXX
Prust - Eller - XXXXX
XXXXX - Dumont - White

Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
XXXXX - XXXXX

Price
Budaj

Players coming up: Kristo, Collberg, Hudon, Bozon, Leblanc, Bournival, Thrower, Ellis, Dietz, Pateryn, Tokarski

DRAFT BIG CENTRES, WINGERS AND DEFENSEMAN WITH THE TOP 6 PICKS IN THE FIRST 3ROUNDS THIS SUMMER!!!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Moroccan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
probably not the best time for a Bruin fan to post, so sorry in advance, but wanted to give an outsider opinion, I thought you guys were much tougher this year and don't think you need a lot of turnover this offseason to improve. I'd buy out Kaberle and let Ryder walk. Wait out the other buyouts from around the league and use some cap space to fill out your top lines and move some guys down the depth chart. You have one of the top goalies, and top defenseman in the league already, and there should be lots of guys available this offseason for teams that have a few bucks (which it looks like you do).
I rarely agree with Bruins fans but I do in this case

Moroccan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:47 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I forgot about Markov and Bouillon.

Markov started the season like a Norris candidate, he was so damn good. Not sure what happened but he then started to look like Patrick Traverse. Couldn't skate, make a pass, shoot, etc. It was weird watching Markov struggle like that. Still, he's an elite Dman and it's his first season back from serious injuries. See what he can bring next year.

Bouillon better be the 7th dman next year.
I would not be surprised if it was fatigue. He had not played many games in the previous few seasons but played overseas during the lockout and all 48 Habs games along with the 5 in the playoffs. He played about as much this season as the 3 last ones combined actually.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Netro

I think a lot of us, myself included, need to let the emotions of the elimination pass because the next day is a little quick to get over them and make rational decisions about this team.

Also - reality is that we won't see an overhaul of this team, it just doesn't happen like in fantasy leagues.

We are all disappointed with the elimination - a season isn't a success when the cup isn't won - but this team did a lot of great things this year and is on the uptick.

I think we can assume that Kaberle will be bought out and that Ryder won't be back so that Bergevin can use those dollars elsewhere. I think we will see Gionta and Markov back on the last year of their contracts. As much I'd like to see DD moved, he was just resigned, so I'd be stunned if he is moved. I think we are more likely to see him moved to LW so that Pleks-Galchenyuk-Eller become the top 3 centres.

I think we will see some more size brought in in the offseason. I think Bergevin will try to bring in a sizeable skilled forward, not sure who. Moen may be a candidate to be moved and I'm curious as to how they handle the defence. I'd expect to see Tinordi obviously given a shot at an everyday spot. If he wins it then the top 6 becomes Markov-PK-Emelin-Gorges-Tinordi-Diaz with Bouillion as the #7. Is that good enough though?

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:50 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I would ONLY build around:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Bourque - Plekanec - XXXXX
Prust - Eller - XXXXX
XXXXX - Dumont - White

Gorges - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
XXXXX - XXXXX

Price
Budaj

Players coming up: Kristo, Collberg, Hudon, Bozon, Leblanc, Bournival, Thrower, Ellis, Dietz, Pateryn, Tokarski

DRAFT BIG CENTRES, WINGERS AND DEFENSEMAN WITH THE TOP 6 PICKS IN THE FIRST 3ROUNDS THIS SUMMER!!!
Ya that worked well for the team during the 90s. Draft big if there is actual skating ability and some talent to go with that size. If you don't you end up with the likes of Terry Ryan, Turner Stevenson, Brad Brown, Lindsay Vallis, Jason Ward, Eric Chouinard, Brent Bilodeau etc.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:52 AM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Bye: Gionta Gorges Kaberle Moen Armstrong Bouillon Ryder...

CaptainIginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
-Tinordi(played like our 2nd best d-man in the playoffs)
You can't possibly be serious? Either you didn't watch the playoffs or have no clue about hockey.

Tinordi has a bright future but he was a liability out there the last 2 games. Needs to start next year in hamilton.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Ya that worked well for the team during the 90s. Draft big if there is actual skating ability and some talent to go with that size. If you don't you end up with the likes of Terry Ryan, Turner Stevenson, Brad Brown, Lindsay Vallis, Jason Ward, Eric Chouinard, Brent Bilodeau etc.
Tampa Bay's early 2000's drafts are also a perfect example. Some of the worst drafting in NHL history!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00008385.html

Old
05-10-2013, 08:58 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You can't possibly be serious? Either you didn't watch the playoffs or have no clue about hockey.

Tinordi has a bright future but he was a liability out there the last 2 games. Needs to start next year in hamilton.
meh, think he could "easily" rotate in and out the line-up with Bouillon.

May have been bad on some plays but with one more year of NHL experience he will improve alot more, and next season there will be less condensed schedule meaning more practice time.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I'm not a fan of Desharnais, especially after this season, but he showed two years ago that he can put up points. Give him another year, we just re-signed him afterall... if he's not up to par, then look to move him, I'd say.

Other than that, I agree with letting Ryder walk (unless he wants to play for real cheap), and buying out Kaberle.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
I think a lot of us, myself included, need to let the emotions of the elimination pass because the next day is a little quick to get over them and make rational decisions about this team.

Also - reality is that we won't see an overhaul of this team, it just doesn't happen like in fantasy leagues.

We are all disappointed with the elimination - a season isn't a success when the cup isn't won - but this team did a lot of great things this year and is on the uptick.

I think we can assume that Kaberle will be bought out and that Ryder won't be back so that Bergevin can use those dollars elsewhere. I think we will see Gionta and Markov back on the last year of their contracts. As much I'd like to see DD moved, he was just resigned, so I'd be stunned if he is moved. I think we are more likely to see him moved to LW so that Pleks-Galchenyuk-Eller become the top 3 centres.

I think we will see some more size brought in in the offseason. I think Bergevin will try to bring in a sizeable skilled forward, not sure who. Moen may be a candidate to be moved and I'm curious as to how they handle the defence. I'd expect to see Tinordi obviously given a shot at an everyday spot. If he wins it then the top 6 becomes Markov-PK-Emelin-Gorges-Tinordi-Diaz with Bouillion as the #7. Is that good enough though?
I think it's far from automatic that Ryder isn't back. The UFA market is not very good and as much as I like Gallagher and Galchenyuk, expecting them to improve enough to replace a 35 gaol scorer is a big stretch.

I don't think Galchenyuk moves to center next year. They'll play him in an insulated role again next year on LW and fill in at center with injuries. I think he moves to center at 20.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:05 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
I think it's far from automatic that Ryder isn't back. The UFA market is not very good and as much as I like Gallagher and Galchenyuk, expecting them to improve enough to replace a 35 gaol scorer is a big stretch.

I don't think Galchenyuk moves to center next year. They'll play him in an insulated role again next year on LW and fill in at center with injuries. I think he moves to center at 20.
if the EGG line is reunited at the beginning of next season, they'll probably become our 2nd line (with everything that comes with that role) within 15/20 games.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Ryder and Desharnais can GTFO, Markov can politely go away.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
meh, think he could "easily" rotate in and out the line-up with Bouillon.

May have been bad on some plays but with one more year of NHL experience he will improve alot more, and next season there will be less condensed schedule meaning more practice time.
Would he not be better off playing 23-25 minutes a night AHL than 15-18 and skipping games though? Plus it lets you add depth in the form of a Regehr, Fistric or similar player.

Old
DenverHabsFan

It probably won't happen but DD has to go. Bring Lappy back to mitigate the French factor. Eller is ready to move up in the chart. Him and Pleks are a toss for #1 or #2 C and Chucky needs to take Eller's spot as our #3 C and develop his game. Having DD prevents a natural progression / meritocracy at that position. Either move DD to the wing or trade him.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:08 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Would he not be better off playing 23-25 minutes a night AHL than 15-18 and skipping games though? Plus it lets you add depth in the form of a Regehr, Fistric or similar player.
usually yes, but when they're that close to being ready you want your players to get NHL action (in form of games or practices) whenever you can.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:11 AM
habsrule22

what about we trade price to minnesota for a couple blue chip prospect like a jonas brodin, minnesota doesn t have a goalie going into next year and they have to do well or coach and gm will probably be fired there. then we can get luongo on cheap trade, he has a couple of good year in hoim yet and once he retires his cap number is off the books.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:27 AM
habfaninvictoria

The 2 players who were invisible the most were DD and Ryder.

Ryder does well in the regular season but his compete level just disappears in the PO's.

Ironically DD really missed Cole. He did well when he had 2 big guys on his line crashing...not so much now.

Ryder will not be offered another contract. The only way DD goes is if MB can convince another GM to take Kaberle for a bag of pucks so we can buy out DD.

Moen and Armstrong are very hard to judge because they were forced to play far outside their roles. I'm convinced patches was injured and I'll give him a pass.

DO NOT TRADE PLEKANEC he was our best player.

We need size on D .... I like Diaz but we have other players that fill his role. We need a big experienced shut down D. We also need room for him on the Blueline. Diaz has great trade value and frees up space.

???? Subban
Markov Emelin
Cube Tinordi
Beaulieu

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Nedved

let's not forget pacioretty was playing injured and not at his best. when he started to play his game, he ended up having surgery and never really recovered from it, imo. he's a player tough to come by...just an off year.

gionta, dd, moen would be 3 I would be looking to move for anything.

I hope dumont and white are in our line-up from the start of the year, and believe leblanc makes it out of camp.

Next year is still a growth year:

Pacioretty Pleks leblanc
whoever Eller bourque
Prust Galchenyuk Gallagher
whoever white dumont

d:

markov subban
emelin diaz
tinordi gorges

I think beaulieu surprises, and might steal a spot at some point, and a guy like diaz is moved...

moving markov is a possibility, but the compressed schedule would wear him down. I think he's a better player next year...

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Galchenyuk4habs

Are some of you seriously implying that we go into next season with the line-up that we had last night? It didn't take long for other teams to figure us out, hit us, don't take penaltys and because we're so ****ing small we can't score on 5 on 5. Thank god some of you are not GM's.

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
Are some of you seriously implying that we go into next season with the line-up that we had last night? It didn't take long for other teams to figure us out, hit us, don't take penaltys and because we're so ****ing small we can't score on 5 on 5. Thank god some of you are not GM's.
Lineup last night was missing Price, Gionta, Eller, White and Emelin. We finished 2nd in the East, don't make it sound like our team is awful.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:49 AM
LesHabs66

Leave:
Moen- did not show up until the last 2 games of the playoffs (or so it seems).
Gionta- too much $ and not enough production at his age with the injuries piling up each season.
Ryder- not sure if he was playing hurt but he looked apathetic and slow for the month of April.
Kaberle- no explanation needed.

Not Sure Yet:
Gorges- was this year one of those slump seasons for a guy that had been reliable in the past?
Pacioretty- was he playing hurt of late? Didn't see much spark and jump in his play over the past month. Needs to use his size and play more aggressive.
Price- he didn't have a great deal of support but at what point in time is it finally going to be his fault for being leaky in net?
Markov- made great strides in his comeback but the pounding, ice time and Father Time are catching up quickly.
Plekanec- needs to produce more for what he is being paid and get paired with the proper match at the wings.
Armstrong- not bad for the salary but needs to be more of a physical player/grinder.
Budaj- not a bad backup and who else do they have to replace him? Halpern- was one of the better guys on the ice since he came back. Need his leadership and centering skills.
Dumont- liked his effort and willingness to throw a hit.
White- needs to step up and stop the stupid plays.
Diaz- needs work but has potential.

Stay and Build Around:
Emelin- sorely missed on the blueline as no one was afraid to enter the zone or have their head down with the puck once his knee checked out for the season.
Bourque- started off well and looked like he had some heart in the playoffs.
Gallagher/Galchenyuk- no comments needed.
Tinordi/Beaulieu- young/raw talent at D with the size the Habs need. No more AHL for them. Make them take the NHL leap this fall. PK/Prust- keepers as long as Brandon can stay healthy and PK signs a reasonable new deal.
Eller- made solid strides and is young enough to learn and grow into the position.

I like the direction the team is taking but they do need to get bigger and stronger to compete at the next level.

LesHabs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
let's not forget pacioretty was playing injured and not at his best. when he started to play his game, he ended up having surgery and never really recovered from it, imo. he's a player tough to come by...just an off year.

gionta, dd, moen would be 3 I would be looking to move for anything.

I hope dumont and white are in our line-up from the start of the year, and believe leblanc makes it out of camp.

Next year is still a growth year:

Pacioretty Pleks leblanc
whoever Eller bourque
Prust Galchenyuk Gallagher
whoever white dumont

d:

markov subban
emelin diaz
tinordi gorges

I think beaulieu surprises, and might steal a spot at some point, and a guy like diaz is moved...

moving markov is a possibility, but the compressed schedule would wear him down. I think he's a better player next year...
So you want to dump Gionta to promote a guy that had a crappy year(20 points) in the AHL this year in his spot? Seriously? ...like really?

Old
05-10-2013, 10:00 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Oui:
Gionta
Gorges
Ryder
Halpern
Drewiske
Weber

To stay: All the rest. So 3-4 regulars out.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote