HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

WC: Oilers at the World Championships

Old
05-10-2013, 12:13 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
I'm guessing you didn't watch the game? Smith did have to be sharp on some chances but Sweden also got great goaltending. Canada dominated offensively in the first 2 periods but shut it down in the 3rd and the game was already decided by then and that's where Sweden got most of its shots.

The stats were flattering to Sweden frankly.
Yep, Canada dominated that game. It easily could have been 6-0 if it weren't for Enroth.

I thought Smith was shaky in the first period, but settled down in the second and third.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I missed that these guys are playing on Team Canada. Yeah I don't get it. Maybe tell me what accomplished, brilliant, star veterans are taking up all the minutes instead of Hall.

A Team Canada that can't score goals to save its life benches a player that finished topten in scoring. Makes a lot of sense.
Past versions of Team Canada.

Guys getting more minutes that have actually won cups or proven things like reliable production and playing a two way game are all of the guys on the top two lines. Guys that have won awards. Guys that have longer track records. Look them up yourself.

Seems they scored enough to win today. I noticed none of our guys were on the score sheet. I am sure this is due to a conspiracy.

Why can you not accept that Hall is playing a different role? It's like you are four and somebody took your blanket away. Sure, you post eloquent garbage, but it is still garbage. Sorry that the truth about how this team and our players are being handled is not your perceived reality.

I used to think you were a good poster. Then I started following you a bit. You are more like an educated troll.

Guess what? Post count is not a sign of knowledge or intelligence. I am done with you.

Nowhere did you even attempt to counter that this is what I have offered up. Our guys are not the only options. This is not The Oil. It's Team Canada and they are being trusted with 3 rd line minutes and duties. If you cannot check your ego at the door, don't make the trip.

You can go cry about how life isn't fair because poor Taylor hall is the bestest ever. It won't change what's happening and you seem to not grasp why it is being done, even when given comments from Struds who very much supports the coach.

Peace.

Last edited by Seedling: 05-10-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:29 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Yep, Canada dominated that game. It easily could have been 6-0 if it weren't for Enroth.

I thought Smith was shaky in the first period, but settled down in the second and third.
No doubt CAN was the better team but if we're going to do the what-if's here you could just as easily say it would have been 3-3 if Smith didn't play great (and had some luck, for example one post and one "blind" blocker save). That would imply that Enroth played as he did of course. Or it could have been 3-2 Sweden in the same scenario as above but with a correct penalty called 30 secs before Canada's 3rd goal...

"What-if's" are useless. Who cares about all of this anyway, Canada was the better team and won, Sweden put up a good fight (better than expected I might add). In terms of Hall I can only say that he was one out of about 2-3 players on the Canada team that "scared" me every time he was on.

After seeing three game with Canada I don't understand why Hall is not played more. Maybe that's a homer attitude but honestly I could not care less for the success of the Canadian team so there's that. I am not talking about stats etc, I am talking about just watching the games and for me it has been obvious that he is one of the players that, if let loose, could go into to WHC-beast-mode...

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:41 AM
Panda Bear

Seedling, I didn't know that Matt Read had a more extensive resume than Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle.

That's probably Replacement's point.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post

Guys getting more minutes that have actually won cups or proven things like reliable production and playing a two way game are all of the guys on the top two lines. Guys that have won awards. Guys that have longer track records. Look them up yourself.

Seems they scored enough to win today. I noticed none of our guys were on the score sheet. I am sure this is due to a conspiracy.

Why can you not accept that Hall is playing a different role? It's like you are four and somebody took your blanket away. Sure, you post eloquent garbage, but it is still garbage. Sorry that the truth about how this team and our players are being handled is not your perceived reality.

I used to think you were a good poster. Then I started following you a bit. You are more like an educated troll.

Guess what? Post count is not a sign of knowledge or intelligence. I am done with you.

Nowhere did you even attempt to counter that this is what I have offered up. Our guys are not the only options. This is not The Oil. It's Team Canada and they are being trusted with 3 rd line minutes and duties. If you cannot check your ego at the door, don't make the trip.

You can go cry about how life isn't fair because poor Taylor hall is the bestest ever. It won't change what's happening and you seem to not grasp why it is being done, even when given comments from Struds who very much supports the coach.

Peace.
My guess is, from your fervent need to paint what's happening to Taylor Hall as "just", you may still be pining for Tyler Sequin.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:36 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:

Peace.
That's just the thing though - what role does he fill?

Taylor Hall is a scorer and a scorer only. He's been brought up that way since he was in junior. He's not a shut-down forward, he's not a physical grinder, nor is he a penalty killer.

There is no point to putting that guy on a team unless it's in a point-producing role. If Ruff's plan is to use him sparingly in a checking role, then it's just a waste of a roster spot.

IMO it's him that should be getting time with Giroux, not Simmonds. Simmonds is better suited for that 3rd line role. As is Read. These guys can actually play those roles in the NHL.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Lewy

Hall is just a kid, in a year or two maybe he makes it up the Depth chart. Only the very very very best players jump right into the top 6 of team Canada without earning it. You gotta earn it with blood, sweat and tears. Winning helps too.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:03 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Hall isn't playing as many minutes because he isn't on the power play and got benched in an early, meaningless, game. Who cares?

The team beat Sweden 3-0 and dominated all aspects of the game.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:07 AM
mactforcoach

Try to see the bright side on Hall playing limited minutes. He's learning another side of the game that he rarely experiences as an Oiler. This will just make him a better player in the long run. He doesn't need to learn how to score but better puck management and defensive play won't hurt him one bit. All at no cost to the Oilers. Maybe Ruff is shaping Hall into something he wants as an NHL coach next season?

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Man, too mant posters here are getting their feathers ruffled over Hall's ice time. It's TEAM Canada and I'm sure Taylor Hall is happy to be there playing for the country.

It's almost embarrassing the amount of butt hurt that is going on on these boards regarding him.

Why do people complain so much?

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:21 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Man, too mant posters here are getting their feathers ruffled over Hall's ice time. It's TEAM Canada and I'm sure Taylor Hall is happy to be there playing for the country.

It's almost embarrassing the amount of butt hurt that is going on on these boards regarding him.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Peace.
Seems like its your issue with Hall. I have no horse in this race, I simply realize Hall is a good producer, one of the best in the NHL this season, and to not be seeing him on a PP and with topsix minutes is strange at best on a team assembled from losing clubs. Ask yourself how many players in front of Hall in the rotation and playing in topsix and PP production roles are better then Hall at this role.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Hall isn't playing as many minutes because he isn't on the power play and got benched in an early, meaningless, game. Who cares?

The team beat Sweden 3-0 and dominated all aspects of the game.
A team Sweden containing around 4 NHL players and that would have trouble beating a competitive AHL club.

golf clap

Old
05-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Pretty much says it all, doesn't it.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:47 AM
CupofOil

Quote:

Agreed, it's beyond ridiculous.
Hall mentioned in an interview with Oilers Now that he's just happy playing with Team Canada and gaining the experience. He said he's happy playing any role on the team, any way that he can help.
I just don't understand the ******** over every little issue this offseason. It has always been like that around here but some posters seem particularly testy this offseason, maybe due to the frustration of another losing season i guess.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:51 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
A team Sweden containing around 4 NHL players and that would have trouble beating a competitive AHL club.

golf clap
And they dominated that Swedish team. What more did you want? Ultra-domination?

AUAIOMRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:56 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:

Says the person complaining about the complainers. Maybe some self introspection is in order.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:04 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Another thing to consider is that this is a new ice surface for Hall. Canada hasn't win Olympic Gold on an international surface in 60-70 years now. NHL stars seemingly struggle with the larger surface, especially in their first couple encounters. Definitely may be a factor that Ruff has picked up on.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

I hereby officially complain about your complaint about complaining..

Old
05-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:

But it's not simply Hall's ice time, although that's tied to the position they have him playing.
Hall is not a 3rd line player. Neither is Eberle. Duchesne is more flexible and can fit on all 3. If the team wants to win, and I have to assume it does, you put the players on the 3rd line that are better suited for it. Pretty simple. Those 3rd line players on this particular team are Read, Simmonds and J Staal.
Hall, Duchesne and Eberle should be the 2nd line and be getting 2nd PP time. There's no doubt in my mind that the production from the top lines would increase with this scenario.

Canada has some great offensive players and they've gotten away with the lines they have (except against the Swiss) but it will only get tougher going forward.

I just don't have a good feeling about the mix the way it is but I guess we'll see if Ruff is right. If they don't win the gold, or at least the silver, with the current skill available, it's all on the coaching staff.

Last edited by Oilfan2: 05-10-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:16 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Personally I'd opt for pre-existing chemistry (Giroux-Simmonds-Read) then try and force lines together. It's a short tournament with minimal prep time. Lines in this tournament are built around C's, and Giroux is the clear cut #2C

Old
05-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Says the person complaining about the complainers. Maybe some self introspection is in order.
Yeah, OK.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:36 AM
oiLowe

Quote:

Peace.
The real question here is WHY would Hall be playing a different role?

He's a more productive point producer than many of the players getting more ice. It defies logic to put players in positions they aren't suited for when there are other viable options. Especially in short tournament such as this.

To me, it just reinforces the lack of awareness Ruff has as a coach.

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:42 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Personally I'd opt for pre-existing chemistry (Giroux-Simmonds-Read) then try and force lines together. It's a short tournament with minimal prep time. Lines in this tournament are built around C's, and Giroux is the clear cut #2C
And Hall and Eberle don't play on the PP together is probably due to no pre-existing chemistry as well right...err...wait...

Ruff is just clueless at this point and only using his "knowledge" and comfort in Eastern players over Western. Why else does he toss the Western players on a line and keep the East on theirs? It's because he probably doesn't know what to expect from the WC players....all but 4 players from the forward corps are EC players

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
And "I know you are but what am I" makes an appearance.

The quality of this board is fecal.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote