HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who's to stay and who's to leave?

Old
05-10-2013, 10:06 AM
sharks9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
Are some of you seriously implying that we go into next season with the line-up that we had last night? It didn't take long for other teams to figure us out, hit us, don't take penaltys and because we're so ****ing small we can't score on 5 on 5. Thank god some of you are not GM's.
Ummmm we were 5th in the league for 5 on 5 GF so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, people who are thinking about trading Pacioretty are insane. You seriously want to trade our 24-year old points leader? You don't see any way that might bite us in the ass?

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Ummmm we were 5th in the league for 5 on 5 GF so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, people who are thinking about trading Pacioretty are insane. You seriously want to trade our 24-year old points leader? You don't see any way that might bite us in the ass?
That was in the regular season

Bring me the playoff stats buddy if you like stats so much

/ I've always said this and I'll say it again, offence and speed gets you into the playoffs, size and defence wins you the cup.

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:13 AM
sharks9

Quote:

/ I've always said this and I'll say it again, offence and speed gets you into the playoffs, size and defence wins you the cup.
And we had the same team in the playoffs.

That was more to do with Anderson than our size. We could barely score on him period, not just at 5 on 5.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Runner77

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Galchenyuk4habs

Our problem is not DD or Gionta or Bouillon or Diaz or Plekanec, it's we have TOO MANY OF THESES SMALL PLAYERS. It's ok to have one or two in your line-up. But when you got pee-wee sized players going up against 230lbs d-man of course they won't be able to score, specially in a tight-checking series.

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:24 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
It's to draw attention to my posts...clearly it works.

Any other Qs that might derail this thread anymore than its already being done. Make a list of Qs and PM me, I'll answer them when I can.
Dyed blonde, way too much makeup for her age, and some problems chestily. Otherwise, great taste in women. Not.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:33 AM
MarkovsKnee

Markov is going to return. Subban, Tinordi, Emelin and Bouillon are also here next year. That's 5 defensemen right there.

The big question is do we keep Gorges? Right now, he doesn't really add anything to our D. He plays better with a bigger D man beside him (see Gill). He also doesn't provide any offense. He has a long contract but not an overly expensive one. Habs should see if they can trade him to a team that is desperate for D-men (Colorado, Edmonton or Tampa Bay come to mind).

Weber will be traded. Kaberle is a buy-out. Drewiske could come back as depth.

Patches is going nowhere. Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gallagher, Eller, Galchenyuk, and Prust are all core players for us. That's 6 players. Gionta will be back, 7. White showed enough that he should be re-signed. He can take Armstrong's spot. That's 8.

That leaves: Ryder, Bourque, DD, Moen, Halpern and Armstrong as bubble players up front. If none of these players come back next year, I won't be disappointed.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
I don't think we can expect a major overhaul this summer. This is not NHL13, guys. Deals where we improve the team significantly won't materialize out of thin air.

Of course, we can assume that Kaberle is gone 100%. Same with Weber?

DD: you don't extend for 4 years and dump the guy. He's staying. Surround him with big wingers and voilą.

Ryder: I would make him an offer but he will most likely get a huge deal as a UFA. Won't be back and we'll need somebody to score those goals.

Maybe a minor upgrade on D, but that's about it. I said it before: Markov may actually play better next year. This year was a huge uphill comeback for him.

Price? Come on. He was most likely playing injured down the road.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:47 PM
shawdowmaker

My must Returns:

Gallagher
Galchenyuk
Subban 2A
Pacioretty
Markov A
Plekanec C
Prust 1A
Eller
Tinordi
Beaulieu
White
Emelin
Bourque

Pacioretty -Plekanec - xxxxx
Bourque - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Prust - Eller - XXXXX
XXXXX - xxxxx - White

Markov - Subban
Tinord - xxxxxx
xxxxx - Emelin

Beaulieu still has to prove-himself

Last edited by shawdowmaker: 05-10-2013 at 02:08 PM.
shawdowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:03 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
So you want to dump Gionta to promote a guy that had a crappy year(20 points) in the AHL this year in his spot? Seriously? ...like really?

Indeed that is facepalm worthy. Leblanc has barely shown he should be in the AHL this season let alone the NHL. So let's replace a proven 20+ goal scorer with him...

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:31 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:

So because you said it, it must be the truth right?

Old
05-10-2013, 02:32 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Our problem is not DD or Gionta or Bouillon or Diaz or Plekanec, it's we have TOO MANY OF THESES SMALL PLAYERS. It's ok to have one or two in your line-up. But when you got pee-wee sized players going up against 230lbs d-man of course they won't be able to score, specially in a tight-checking series.
Yes they are pee wee size...You see many 5'9 195lbs players in pee wee (The Cube)? You can't just switch that many players over night. Likely one or two of the smaller players will be gone but sometimes that size does not matter if there is no skating or skill that comes with it.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
And we had the same team in the playoffs.

That was more to do with Anderson than our size. We could barely score on him period, not just at 5 on 5.
Yeah but shots from small players are easy to stop and shots from big players are not. Also, don't you knoiw? All our forwards are 5'8" 145lbs.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:20 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Which player would you expect to not come back next season?

Players to leave next season (for ME, THIS IS MY OPINION)

Negatives:
-Moen(Do I really need to explain?)
-Desharnais(Needs to be traded, to small to compete in the playoffs, in a small team anyways)
-Budaj(horrible performance in game 4 and 5, solid in the regular season, would keep if no better options are available)
-Ryder(Can't afford, also small, no character, 1 dimensional, disappeared towards the end)
-Bouillon(solid player, but age and size hurts the habs)
-Armstrong( I'm against the idea of a 4rth liner who can't score, skate, pass, hit, and fight)
-Weber(too small, 1 dimensional)
-Kaberle(buyout)

Players I would call a few GM's and see what their market value is for further evalutions:

-Pacioretty(young player, very talented, but lack of effort and grit is a big question mark going forward, specially in the playoffs, would not trade unless a good offer was proposed)
-Gorges(played solid for the past few years, but hard a difficult season, too soft for a defenceman going forward)
-Diaz( Difficult end of season and playoffs, undersized d-man could hurt the team in the playoffs long-term)
-Price( I KNOW, he's an elite talent blah blah blah, did not show up the last 2 months, never won a playoff round, shades of Fleury and Luongo, would look at market-value)
-Markov(age is really catching up, did bad playoffs towards the end of the season, and in the playoffs, shades of Kaberle)
-White(Always been a fan of him, bad luck this season, would give the kid another go, but is expendable)
-Gionta(age is catching up, not the same player)
-Plekanec(Did show up in the playoffs, but did not produce, solid player but either him or DD has to go, we are too small down the middle and Galchenyuk and Eller are stepping up)

Positives:

-Galchenyuk(exceptionable talent, looked like our best forward in game 4 and towards the end of the season)
-Gallagher(big surprise of the season, looked solid throughout the playoffs)
-Bourque(looked good in the playoffs, hopefully keeps on playing like that)
-Tinordi(played like our 2nd best d-man in the playoffs)
-Subban( did not like his attitude in the playoffs but played well despite having an alright end of the season, lots of room for improvement which is scary)
-Prust(our leader on and off the ice, type of player we needed, and still need more of)
-Eller(played like our 2nd best center for the entire season, is big and strong, still young, lots of room for improvement)

MY line-up for next season (IF I WAS GM AND COACH, THIS IS PURELY MY OPINION)

Bourque-Plekanec-Clarkson
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Clowe-Eller-Gionta(could be replaced)
(insert HW/Prust type of player)-Prust-White(or HW/Prust type of player)

Tinordi-Subban
Markov(expendable)-Emelin
Beaulieu-(physical 6'2+ right handed d-man via trade)

Price
Budaj(Or another backup)
The following are gone with me at some point

Ryder, Boulion, Weber, Kabbie, Colby , Dias , DD , Gio, Halpern , Moen

Tinordi , Nathan , Kristo are promoted

Bickell is my primary target as a UFA ( with $ reason )

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
what about we trade price to minnesota for a couple blue chip prospect like a jonas brodin, minnesota doesn t have a goalie going into next year and they have to do well or coach and gm will probably be fired there. Then we can get luongo on cheap trade, he has a couple of good year in hoim yet and once he retires his cap number is off the books.
you

can't

be

serious

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
So you want to dump Gionta to promote a guy that had a crappy year(20 points) in the AHL this year in his spot? Seriously? ...like really?

we have plenty of guys who can put up points. we need guys that can work hard along the boards, and go to the net.

I'm sick of perimeter play. I doubt leblanc is there, but I would move away from gionta, yes. I can only go by what we have, and leblanc played hurt all year. He started to turn it around near the end...he's smart in his own end, and can play the pk.

it's like cole, for me. people complained about him, but the habs played their best hockey ALL YEAR with him in the line-up. they controlled the play, and were tough to play against in the middle of the ice and own end.

gionta, I do not want. he's done. I would rather play moen there all year..

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Ya that worked well for the team during the 90s. Draft big if there is actual skating ability and some talent to go with that size. If you don't you end up with the likes of Terry Ryan, Turner Stevenson, Brad Brown, Lindsay Vallis, Jason Ward, Eric Chouinard, Brent Bilodeau etc.
Oh no!

Please don't remind us!

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:39 PM
MXD

- One of DD/Plekanec
- One of DD (winger version)/Gionta
- Moen
- One of Diaz/Gorges

Those are the ones that must leave. Provided we get appropriate compensation, of course.

I already consider Armstrong, Ryder and Kaberle out. I couldn't care less about Weber. White is obviously back unless we get an offer we can't refuse.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Corncob

Quote:

So Prust gets a bye from you for his playoffs because he was injured, but Pacioretty played three games with a separated shoulder and gets no such consideration?

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:51 PM
NLHabsFan

I know a lot of people want DD out. But he just signed a 4 year extension. Do you actually expect him to be out? I don't see it. I wouldn't mind seeing him play some wing so he can have less defensive responsibilities. But I definitely want to see his role reduced a bit. He shouldn't get the majority of O zone starts IMO. I really liked the way Eller played this year and believe he is again going to take the next step and improve more this upcoming season. And of course, Plek's is our #1 guy.

NLHabsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Masuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I know a lot of people want DD out. But he just signed a 4 year extension. Do you actually expect him to be out? I don't see it. I wouldn't mind seeing him play some wing so he can have less defensive responsibilities. But I definitely want to see his role reduced a bit. He shouldn't get the majority of O zone starts IMO. I really liked the way Eller played this year and believe he is again going to take the next step and improve more this upcoming season. And of course, Plek's is our #1 guy.
Ppl need to understand, Plecs, DD, Gorges, Diaz, Boullion even Gionta not going anywhere. Ryder might since going for big bugs as UFA, and I think Colby might get extension, White should get short extension, Moen I'm not sure. Halpern should be kept as short term. Emelin needs to be resigned long term. We are rebuilding. Not gearing for cup run.

Masuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:59 PM
dutchy29

Dump Price, Ryder, Moen, Weber, Bouillion.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Its Alright Ma

As an outsider looking at the Habs roster

Pacioretty, Subban, Gallagher, Eller, Galchenyuk should be untouchable.
Beaulieu and Tinordi should make the team full-time
Prust, Bourque are excellent pieces to keep.

Might be a bit of a small group but as far as a "core" goes it's not bad at all.
Most of the rest of the roster could be kept or moved depending on their value, lots of decent players but nobody who couldn't be moved. Plekanec in particular probably has good value and if you're serious about upgrading at center moving him is a possibility, but too much turnover is usually a bad thing and he's a pretty solid player, so I could see him staying.

Negatives:
Markov. I know Habs fans love him so this might be hard, but he really became a liability down the stretch and you've got arguably the best offensive D-Man in the league in Subban already. No idea what his value would be in a trade so it might be better just to give him another go and hope as he continues to stay healthy he'll improve.

Desharnais. I'm sure most of you agree that he was terrible, you need to improve at center and getting rid of this guy is the start of that.

Price. I'm probably still the minority but I don't see him as the guy. He's a good goaltender usually but you're paying for elite, and frankly he's probably still got decent trade value so moving him to upgrade eslewhere could be a smart plan. Of course you can't just get rid of him without having a replacement in mind, which is why he probably stays, but its something to keep in mind for next offseason depending on how Price does next year.

Ryder. Talk about disappearing. Yeesh
Diaz. I can't imagine this guy is very popular in the locker room after that series, and he's easily replaceable.

Just opinions obviously, and I'm sure Habs fans who followed the team more carefully all season long will know better than me on most of these guys, but some food for thought anyways

Its Alright Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:14 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
I hope we can get a 5th for Ryder at the draft.
Don't get this one

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:18 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I would not be surprised if it was fatigue. He had not played many games in the previous few seasons but played overseas during the lockout and all 48 Habs games along with the 5 in the playoffs. He played about as much this season as the 3 last ones combined actually.
He played 74 games this season and a lot of game at the beginning of the year around 24 minutes a game, the guy is just dead

As your 3rd, with powerplay and a max of 18-21 minutes a game in the regular season, he will still be serviceable for the last year of his contract.

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote