HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are the Blues the Chicago Cubs of hockey?

Old
05-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Market Street Heroes

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
Oh, trust me. It is.

Knowing the Blues pattern of luck in the playoffs, it is. I could go on, but I'll stop it here.
With the Blues pattern of luck, we will win tonight. Then Game 7 will go to triple overtime, at which point the Kings will take a penalty. As the Blues pull the goaltender for an extra man during the delayed penalty, Patrik Berglund will make a pass back to the point, however, Roman Polak will have tripped and then the puck will get past him and go into our empty net on the other end of the ice.

Market Street Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Dr Quincy

vCash: 500
Blues are the Milwaukee Bucks of the 80s. A good team, but lacking that one real superstar equal to the superstar of the elite teams of that era (Dr. J, Bird, Magic). Won their division, but just happened to be in the wrong conference at the wrong time to ever break through to the finals.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:29 AM
BladesofSTEELwFIRE

This is why I started this thread. This is what the very well respected sports columnist Bernie Miklasz said about the Blues yesterday:

Now the Blues travel to Los Angeles and the Staples Center. Back to the same spot of the crash that ended their 2012 postseason. Back to the brink for a franchise that seems trapped in an endless cycle of doom. For the cursed Blues, history always repeats itself.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...631b3f156.html

BladesofSTEELwFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

He said it: "To be a Blues fan, to stay a Blues fan — to live and die as a Blues fan — you must be mentally strong, incredibly stubborn and conveniently numb on preferred medication."

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:51 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Now that I think about it, the more valid comparison to the Blues would've been the Atlanta Braves in the 90's if they never won a World Series. Very long playoff streak, but they're often knocked for "only" winning it once.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:57 AM
BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Now that I think about it, the more valid comparison to the Blues would've been the Atlanta Braves in the 90's if they never won a World Series. Very long playoff streak, but they're often knocked for "only" winning it once.
The Blues have never won it all.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:00 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSTEELwFIRE View Post
The Blues have never won it all.
Which is why I prefaced that statement with...

Quote:
Now that I think about it, the more valid comparison to the Blues would've been the Atlanta Braves in the 90's if they never won a World Series.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:11 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

It's always been a moronic comparison that never really made sense, and it's good to hear fans from other cities confirm just how arbitrary and fallacy laden this comparison is.

Cubs aside, make no mistake though, the Blues are definitely "cursed" in their own regard.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:15 AM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
It's always been a moronic comparison that never really made sense, and it's good to hear fans from other cities confirm just how arbitrary and fallacy laden this comparison is.

Cubs aside, make no mistake though, the Blues are definitely "cursed" in their own regard.
ehh so were the Kings up until last season and the Maple Leafs are at 44 seasons without a Stanley Cup as well (yes i know they won it before that). You guys have a great team and are going to be a force for the next several years. If you guys get passed us this series i fully expect you guys to make it to conference finals, if you can win that series, despite who you play out East i think you guys are the favorite.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:22 AM
snoop88

Quote:

not a good comparison

The Braves made the World Series 5 times in the 90's
The Blues haven't been to the Finals in 40 years.

The Atlanta Hawks or the Milwaukee Bucks are a decent comparison. From the 80's- present they were typically pretty good teams, lots of deep playoff runs, but could never even reach the Finals. Played in the "tougher" conference

I can't think of a good MLB comparison. NFL maybe the KC Chiefs who at least won a Super Bowl in 1970, but have been an early playoff exit ever since.

The Blues are really quite unique in that regard.

snoop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:26 AM
useless

Omg no, the blues actually have a chance of winning. The Cubs are just awful.

useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:37 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
50 huh? Come back to this thread in 54 more years and we'll talk about it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSup3rM4ri0x View Post
Wait another 50 years then create another thread like this
Ha ha...by then the Cubs will be at 154 years and counting...

I've been a Cubs fan since 1968. I was weaned on Banks, Williams, Jenkins, Santo, Kessinger, et al.. I've watched hundreds of games from the bleachers since. I knew all the stats when I was a kid. They had some fine teams over the years, with some excellent individual players. They've never put it all together though. Very frustrating.

I stopped following them completely when they passed over Sandberg for Sveum. Sandberg had paid his dues from the low minors up to AAA ball, winning every step of the way. Now he's gone from the organization, and the Cubs are losing at an epic pace.

The Blues and Leafs are nowhere near as pathetic as the Cubs.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:41 PM
pcruz

The closest any NHL team comes to the Cubs is the Leafs.
St. Louis was consistently a good team as far back as I can remember (early 90's).
The Leafs were terrible for most of the time since their last cup 67.
Argument can be made that the Leafs of the Ballard era (wasn't around back then) were the Cubs of hockey, but even they are better now.

pcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Louie the Blue
Because it's a trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
ehh so were the Kings up until last season and the Maple Leafs are at 44 seasons without a Stanley Cup as well (yes i know they won it before that). You guys have a great team and are going to be a force for the next several years. If you guys get passed us this series i fully expect you guys to make it to conference finals, if you can win that series, despite who you play out East i think you guys are the favorite.
The Kings, Sabres, and Canucks aren't/weren't cursed in the same way the Blues were.

The Kings made the SC in the 90's. Sabres made it in two decades the Blues haven't been in the SC final. The Canucks made it in 2011 and 1994, both going to a game 7.

The Blues are winless in the SC finals and haven't been in the final since the 70's. It isn't the same thing at all.

Louie the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Fresh Prince
Go Red Wings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyNote View Post
Pretty sure they'll still be losers.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Meob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie the Blue View Post
The Kings, Sabres, and Canucks aren't/weren't cursed in the same way the Blues were.

The Kings made the SC in the 90's. Sabres made it in two decades the Blues haven't been in the SC final. The Canucks made it in 2011 and 1994, both going to a game 7.

The Blues are winless in the SC finals and haven't been in the final since the 70's. It isn't the same thing at all.
the blue's trips to the finals their first 3 years are pretty meaningless too. they were just the best of the expansion teams but none of them had much of a chance against the other conference.

Meob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:53 PM
bcd051

Here we go again...haha...

I'm sad now

bcd051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:03 AM
blueswede22

0,2 seconds...well that´s a new one...hopefully it will be as enjoyable having that slapshot repeting itself over and over in the back of my mind as it was having Stevie Y:s slapshot there for all of those years...

Oh happy times...

blueswede22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:28 AM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
The Cub fan reputation is (from a Sox fan)...

I dont know anything about baseball and dont really watch the games, but hey, i love the Cubs so come down to Wrigley and we'll get wasted in an area where there just so happens to be baseball being played
That would be the reputation of the people attending games (and it's only close to being true for the bleachers.) It's not the real fans fault that Wrigley is a huge tourist destination that prices many of them out of attending games.

Cubs fans overall are knowledgable and passionate about baseball and their team. And as a Chicago person, if you allow the stereotype of Cubs fans than you should raise no objection to the no-less-true-but-worse "huge bandwagoner" stereotype of hawks fans.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Kirikanoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie the Blue View Post

Do you think it`s some how easier to lose in the Final rather than earlier rounds? Believe me after spending all that time and emotion for nearly 2 months watching your team fight it`s way to the Stanley Cup Final only to lose in the end is a extra level of pain beyond just the usual disappointment of losing a playoff series.

If you want cursed, try losing two 7 games final series, including one that was a goal post away from OT in game 7, and another where your team led 3 games to 2 and had two opportunities to win it all and failed.

Kirikanoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Hawkimus

STL has the Cardinals.....be happy

CHI only has the Blackhawks(Bulls don't count)

Hawkimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:34 AM
Thallis
DO I LOOK ANGRY

vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkimus View Post
STL has the Cardinals.....be happy

CHI only has the Blackhawks(Bulls don't count)
Nothing like spring training games being televised over hockey...

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:36 AM
skroonk2002*

The problem with the Blues now (currently a top-4 team in the West) is the same as it was 10-15 years ago (they were a top-4 team in the West then too).

They lack the top-end talent that other powerhouses have.

Backes, Steen, Stewart, and Berglund, etc., are all solid players. But they aren't quite Kopitar, Richards, Carter, and Brown.

Just like Tkachuk, Weight, and Turgeon were never quite Sakic, Forsberg, and Hejduk/Tanguay/Drury. Or Yzerman, Fedorov, and Shanahan.

The Blues needed a true gamebreaker to win some of these close/tight games for them.

skroonk2002* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:42 AM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
The Cub fan reputation is (from a Sox fan)...

I dont know anything about baseball and dont really watch the games, but hey, i love the Cubs so come down to Wrigley and we'll get wasted in an area where there just so happens to be baseball being played
That would be the reputation of the people attending games (and it's only close to being true for the bleachers.) It's not the real fans fault that Wrigley is a huge tourist destination that prices many of them out of attending games.

Cubs fans overall are knowledgable and passionate about baseball and their team. And as a Chicago person, if you allow the stereotype of Cubs fans than you should raise no objection to the no-less-true-but-worse "huge bandwagoner" stereotype of hawks fans.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:22 AM
jimslob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Yes to the first part. Before every season I traditionally say to my wife, "So, how are they going to break my heart this year?" They've yet to fail me and I've been following this team religiously since the mid 80's.

As for the lovable losers part, give it another 20-30 years without a Cup and I bet you'll see a very Cub like embracing of all the failure. Being a Canuck fan will become a badge of honour just because you'll have to be a very dedicated fan to put up with all the losing and abuse continually taken.

My grandfather died never seeing a Cup winner, my Dad will be joining him soon and I fully expect to be the 3rd generation to pass without seeing one Cup. Maybe the curse dies with me!
I've been following the Canucks from day one and I've already died once a few years ago.

I don't want to die again before they win the cup as next time I may very well stay dead and that would be a shame.

Also my Dad is in the same boat as yours and I would love to see him experience having his team win the cup.

For F'ks sake the last time a team he cheered for won was 1967!

At last I had the Habs as a second team in the 70's.

jimslob is offline   Reply With Quote