HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Del Zotto

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2013, 09:46 AM
  #201
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
To me, it's about maximizing the value of MDZ as an asset. Right now, Staal remains a question mark, and, while Moore has been very impressive, it has been a small sample size. If you're telling me that next year at this time, Staal has been healthy and returned to form, Moore is close to what he's advertised to be, and McIlrath has made a successful transition into the lineup, then, yes, I would hope the Rangers have maximized the trade value of Del Zotto. But, that's a lot to ask at this moment.

jas is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 09:48 AM
  #202
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
To me, it's about maximizing the value of MDZ as an asset. Right now, Staal remains a question mark, and, while Moore has been very impressive, it has been a small sample size. If you're telling me that next year at this time, Staal has been healthy and returned to form, Moore is close to what he's advertised to be, and McIlrath has made a successful transition into the lineup, then, yes, I would hope the Rangers have maximized the trade value of Del Zotto. But, that's a lot to ask at this moment.
I guess my main thing is the same as the above. He should be very far from untouchable. McDonagh? Absolutely. Girardi should be re-signed. Staal should be if he will accept it this off-season. If not, he is the one to be moved.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 09:57 AM
  #203
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,470
vCash: 500
These guys are so young, Jesus.

I would trade Girardi before MDZ. MDZ is the kind of player whod go to Boston and be a Norris finalist.

He was drafted 5 years ago but has 4 yrs experience with playoffs to boot. All this exposure and he's not close to his peak.

Patience.

GWOW is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 10:07 AM
  #204
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
Staal is a major question mark. The vision in the right eye is blurry. There's no guarantee the vision will be clear. Staal will need to learn how to play with the issue if it doesn't clear up. He had trouble with eye last week. Then he played one game. Then he took himself out of the lineup. It will be a summer of the unknown with Staal. He won't say anything. The Rangers won't say anything.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 11:01 AM
  #205
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He had zero issue with sending MDZ down to Hartford a couple seasons ago. Hes had zero issue with cutting his minutes as hes struggled these first few games of the playoffs. I think you're making the special treatment stuff up.
When he was ass skating on the Caps first goal after he flopped in the first and took a tripping penalty was it him I saw on the bench or Eminger?

He was sent down because he was God awful...he lost the Devils series last year and he will lose another for us this year.

Sad part is...I like him but I would have still taken John Carlson over him in the draft.

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 11:40 AM
  #206
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 5,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
These guys are so young, Jesus.

I would trade Girardi before MDZ. MDZ is the kind of player whod go to Boston and be a Norris finalist.

He was drafted 5 years ago but has 4 yrs experience with playoffs to boot. All this exposure and he's not close to his peak.

Patience.
Sorry but I just don't see it. He doesn't skate, shoot or play defense well enough for this to happen.

McDonaghisGod is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 11:49 AM
  #207
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
I think his peak is about a Visnovsky level defenseman.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 11:51 AM
  #208
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I think his peak is about a Visnovsky level defenseman.
Not very comparable to me. Visnovsky has elite vision and can walk the line on the PP. He is also a crazy fast skater, even to this day. I guess a comparable to MDZ would be Dennis Wideman.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 11:52 AM
  #209
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,228
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
These guys are so young, Jesus.

I would trade Girardi before MDZ. MDZ is the kind of player whod go to Boston and be a Norris finalist.

He was drafted 5 years ago but has 4 yrs experience with playoffs to boot. All this exposure and he's not close to his peak.

Patience.
MDZ will never be a Norris finalist.

Way to many holes in his game that have not been addressed in his four NHL seasons.

still to slow.

Cannot rush the puck

make sawful decisions at the point on the PP

has a real hard time gettign his shot on net

while calm with the puck in his own zone, he's often times over confident and gets pressued into losing it.

not nearly as physical as he should be (and he has made good strides addressing that)

Regarding that last part, that seems to be a teamwide issue as they are more apt to poke-check the opposition than take the body. The Rangers play a pretty timid game in their own zone and it maddening.

If we could get a Simmonds for him, I do that in a heartbeat. The Flyers need an offensive defenceman, we need a gritty winger for the top 6. It's a good fit.

prefer to send him out west, but I'm not seeing a team that has what we are looking for while having the need that MDZ would address.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 12:08 PM
  #210
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
McILrath will be on the team next year and he will destroy people.

Torts holds almost of his players accountable except MDZ, I don't know why...but he does.
Torts needs Del Zotto to play well to get out of this series. MDZ is an important puck moving defenseman and with Staal out he becomes even more important but he's not playing that well. He can't really afford to bench him unless he's really ******** the bed and he's not been that bad--that's why he stays in.

If anything if there is a player Torts is not holding accountable it's Richards but as long as Brassard keeps on doing what he's doing and Stepan plunks in a goal or helps on one now and again our offense should be passable.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 12:24 PM
  #211
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
These guys are so young, Jesus.

I would trade Girardi before MDZ. MDZ is the kind of player whod go to Boston and be a Norris finalist.

He was drafted 5 years ago but has 4 yrs experience with playoffs to boot. All this exposure and he's not close to his peak.

Patience.
eh no....I would hate to see Girardi go. Our defense is lopsided if anything on the left side--not on the right and you'd move the guy that plays the most minutes?

Del Zotto is not only no Zubov--he definitely is no Leetch--this idea that he'll someday be a Norris trophy winner---really? Think in terms of Erik Karlsson or Drew Doughty for two. This Hamilton guy playing for Boston--maybe someone like him. Pietrangelo. When I think of a player Del Zotto could turn into I think of guys like Kimmo Timonen.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 01:33 PM
  #212
Blueshirt Special
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
MDZ

not nearly as physical as he should be (and he has made good strides addressing that)

Regarding that last part, that seems to be a teamwide issue as they are more apt to poke-check the opposition than take the body. The Rangers play a pretty timid game in their own zone and it maddening.

.
MDZ aside, this is a team thing that is absolutely infuriating.

Blueshirt Special is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:22 PM
  #213
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
The Rangers D.



The Rangers need more toughness on D. Physical play. Size. The Rangers selected McIlrath for a reason.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:25 PM
  #214
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
McILrath will be on the team next year and he will destroy people.

Torts holds almost of his players accountable except MDZ, I don't know why...but he does.
Not sure if serious here

You are talking about the same Torts who banished MDZ to the minors for a season?

NHRangerfan is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:29 PM
  #215
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
MDZ will never be a Norris finalist.

Way to many holes in his game that have not been addressed in his four NHL seasons.

still to slow.

Cannot rush the puck

make sawful decisions at the point on the PP

has a real hard time gettign his shot on net

while calm with the puck in his own zone, he's often times over confident and gets pressued into losing it.

not nearly as physical as he should be (and he has made good strides addressing that)

Regarding that last part, that seems to be a teamwide issue as they are more apt to poke-check the opposition than take the body. The Rangers play a pretty timid game in their own zone and it maddening.If we could get a Simmonds for him, I do that in a heartbeat. The Flyers need an offensive defenceman, we need a gritty winger for the top 6. It's a good fit.

prefer to send him out west, but I'm not seeing a team that has what we are looking for while having the need that MDZ would address.
Been saying this for a while now and it drives me crazy, but you can't play a collapsing system and throw a lot of checks...

NHRangerfan is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 03:15 PM
  #216
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers D.



The Rangers need more toughness on D. Physical play. Size. The Rangers selected McIlrath for a reason.
Mmmm...looks good to me!

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 03:46 PM
  #217
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,228
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Not sure if serious here

You are talking about the same Torts who banished MDZ to the minors for a season?
half a season, in fact it was less than a month.

Played in 11 games for the Wolfpack.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 04:09 PM
  #218
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
Everyone keeps calling MDZ a puck moving defensemen... has anyone ever see him, ya know, move the puck...?

Barnaby is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 05:22 PM
  #219
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Not sure if serious here

You are talking about the same Torts who banished MDZ to the minors for a season?
that was 2 years ago and since...he has been good on occasions, bad on occasions and basically medicore most of the time.

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 05:58 PM
  #220
3rd Guy High
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would rather have a power forward like Simmonds or someone like that and have the d I proposed. You were just looking at the defense without looking at the return.



This.



Considering both Moore, MDZ, McDonagh, Girardi and Stralman have played top-4 minutes in the playoffs and with Staal having an entire off-season to heal and rest he should be back.
You're still missing the point. If we trade DZ and have ONE injury in our top 4 (which is not unreasonable at all considering our D are always getting hurt), we would have two players like Eminger or Hamrlik playing 5 minutes a game in the playoffs. As if one wasn't bad enough.

It's not the top 4 minutes I'm worried about. It's the bottom pairing. We all saw last year how important it was to have two good bottom pairin guys to not burn our top 4 out. Rather than trading our biggest strength away why don't we keep it and roll 6 studs. The cap is not a concern yet. We will cross that road when we reach it.

3rd Guy High is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 06:18 PM
  #221
ltrangerfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
Some thoughts:

1)The Rangers aren't dumping DZ. As of this moment they have MCD,

Girardi, and Strahls to count on. Maybe Stahl comes back in top shape? Maybe Moore upgrades? Maybe the minors ads a piece or two? At the moment, only 3 D to count on.

With that said, they will evaluate who's available in the summer and decide the best way to go. The inconsistency in MDZ's game is simply giving the Rangers an excuse to listen to offers rather than cutting off the conversation with "he's not available".

2)Yes MDZ is only 23.

What kind of player was Stahl at 23? Girardi? Mcdonagh?

They fit right in with fewer problems. If MDZ became a DG, MS, or RM It would be enough. In the meantime we're 4 years into the experiment and he is not a Brian Leatch. Is 23, with 4 years of pro experience young? Maybe? maybe not?

3)Zubov was a one dimensional player. He was pure offense. He had 12 goals and 77 assists on the championship team. If you could live with his defense he was your puck moving, great shot special teams specialist. He was a major contributor to the Rangers championship team at the age of 23.

ltrangerfan is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 06:19 PM
  #222
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Rangers fans still don't know how to spell "Staal?"

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 06:21 PM
  #223
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,243
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Everyone keeps calling MDZ a puck moving defensemen... has anyone ever see him, ya know, move the puck...?
Yes.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 06:21 PM
  #224
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Rangers fans still don't know how to spell "Staal?"
Who. Are you trying to spell Marc Stahl's name?

JohnC is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 06:22 PM
  #225
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
Who. Are you trying to spell Marc Stahl's name?
Mark Stahl
Stall
No. It's Marc Staal. Not that hard.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.