HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I don't much like O'Leary's on-air persona (does anybody?) but his radio segments all either teach me something I didn't know or at least give me something to think about. When it comes to radio, I'd take listening to him over super-dull nice guys Russ Dratwa & Brent Bullis any day.
I seem to unknowingly tune into the money show sometimes, by chance, and Brent Bullis is quite good IMO, he's dull but knowledgable, sensible and you can learn a lot more from him than you can O'Leary.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:35 PM
bleed_oil

Does anyone else think that its ridiculous that the TEAM hosts (both Fraser\Nelson and Gregor) were calling for Gillis's head after the Canucks got swept. Seriously Edmonton media! You guys dont have the balls to call KLowe out after YEARS and YEARS and YEARS of ineptitude and you are more than happy to drop the bomb on a guy who's made a winning team year in year out. I have no love for the Canucks, but the Canucks under AV and Gillis are light years ahead of the KLowe lead Oil in every respect.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Slats432

Sadly, today was probably my worst experience listening to Neilson/Frasier.

What they probably don't understand is that not everyone thinks the same thing as they do as to what is funny. The Segway schtick went on for way too long.

I had this Rome feeling where they drew everything out.

The things they love should be done, without doing them to death.

Encarnacion songs, making fun of a woman that knows nothing about sports calling in for Kindofeasy Trivia, etc etc.

Make sure you keep your material fresh and new for regular listeners.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:50 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post

What they probably don't understand is that not everyone thinks the same thing as they do as to what is funny. The Segway schtick went on for way too long.

Encarnacion songs, making fun of a woman that knows nothing about sports calling in for Kindofeasy Trivia, etc etc.

Gregor and Struds go into a lengthy dj or karoke bit far too often as well. It's funny at first, but when you kinda zone out and then realize they spent 15 minutes on this it's kinda embarrassing.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:05 PM
abootzky

I cut the morning guys and Gregor a little slack for stretching or repeating ideas because 4 hours, 5 days a week is a ton of airtime to fill in a talk format. Still, everything has a shelf life and they need to realize that.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Oilception

vCash: 50
Quote:

I thought the Segway bit was pretty funny, and i enjoyed it quite a bit

on a different note, they were talking to Ryan Rishaug today and he was saying that the Oilers were offered something for Hemsky at the trade dead line, but right before he said wat it was i lost my connection and didnt catch it. anyone hear what it was?

Old
05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I cut the morning guys and Gregor a little slack for stretching or repeating ideas because 4 hours, 5 days a week is a ton of airtime to fill in a talk format. Still, everything has a shelf life and they need to realize that.
I agree with you as I don't think it's their fault, but whoever thinks it's a good idea to give them that much airtime needs to give their heads a shake.

I feel that what is going on with the Team 1260 programming is going to end up hurting people's careers. Going from quality to quantity is a bad mistake.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Does anyone else think that its ridiculous that the TEAM hosts (both Fraser\Nelson and Gregor) were calling for Gillis's head after the Canucks got swept. Seriously Edmonton media! You guys dont have the balls to call KLowe out after YEARS and YEARS and YEARS of ineptitude and you are more than happy to drop the bomb on a guy who's made a winning team year in year out. I have no love for the Canucks, but the Canucks under AV and Gillis are light years ahead of the KLowe lead Oil in every respect.
I didn't listen to the show, but you're right, that is ridiculous. I get it's a lot easier for them to lob grenades at someone when he's in a different time zone. Sad.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
I think Gillis is extremely Lowe-like, and does deserve to be fired. Most of the moves he's made are poor, and will only look worse with the passage of time. Hopefully Vancouver doesn't realize it and retains him long term so he can ruin the franchise just like Lowe ruined the Oilers.

So no, I don't think it's ridiculous at all. But agree that it's pathetic that the Edmonton media never called for Lowe, MacT, Tambo, Renney, etc. to be fired when clearly they needed to be. Unfortunately all of Edmonton media are terrified that they'll be banned from the dressing room by the Oilers if they start calling for everyone to get fired. They'll keep silent, then dogpile on a guy once he actually does get fired saying what a great move it was.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:

I actually like that the morning show is becoming Rome-like in their use of soundbites and reccurring jokes. But I love Rome, so naturally I like that sort of stuff, but I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

This is the result of a station deciding to format itself as Oilers radio. 12 consecutive hours of mainly Oiler/NHL talk is impossible to fill with meaningful serious discussion, even when the team is playing let alone now, and that's why there are entire segments devoted to discussing the hot Wendy's girl, ficticious Linus Omark trade proposals, Strudwick kareoke contests, etc.

Old
06-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Fuhryous

Just a heads up...for those are interested, Mac-T will be on Spector's show in a few minutes.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:12 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
Just a heads up...for those are interested, Mac-T will be on Spector's show in a few minutes.
Saying some interesting things. Seems very keen on trading the 7th overall pick, and now, instead of at the draft.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:14 PM
joestevens29

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 1m
"Sometimes change is good for both the org and the player." — Craig MacTavish on Hemsky and Horcoff.

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 30s
MacTavish on Hemsky, Horcoff: "Ideal scenario would be to move them on and wish them the best."

ya so how do they come to camp?

Old
06-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Lindo

Sooo Taylor Hall, new Oilers captain?

And very worried about the moving back trade talk.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:22 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Sooo Taylor Hall, new Oilers captain?

And very worried about the moving back trade talk.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Lindo

^ At this point, I'm just waiting for it to happen. He seemed sold on trading down.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Lazar has 61 points in 72 games.

Sean Monahan (for example) has 78 points in 58 games (and he's bigger).

Is there something I'm missing here?

Old
06-06-2013, 02:47 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Lazar has 61 points in 72 games.

Sean Monahan (for example) has 78 points in 58 games.

Is there something I'm missing here?
Apparently the Oilers love their Oil Kings and will make suspect draft decisions when it comes to them. First Moroz last year and Lazar this year. They'd better be right about this kid, because every time I have seen him, I get a distinct 3rd line C impression. And, imo, passing on one of the top 7 in this year's draft for a 3rd line C is a poor start for a new GM.

I don't know why he isn't busting his ass trying to move players and later picks for a mid round 1st if they love Lazar so much. A number of them are reportedly in play.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:48 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
^ At this point, I'm just waiting for it to happen. He seemed sold on trading down.
Maybe there's a really good deal in the works and he's just waiting for the playoffs to end so he can pull the trigger? Trading down won't hurt us if the return is right. I recognize that lots of posters aren't exactly sold on MacTavish as GM but at least his diagnosis of the team's issues seems pretty spot on. If anything I'm encouraged hearing that he's ready to send Hemsky and Horcoff packing.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:50 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Apparently the Oilers love their Oil Kings and will make suspect draft decisions when it comes to them. First Moroz last year and Lazar this year. They'd better be right about this kid, because every time I have seen him, I get a distinct 3rd line C impression. And, imo, passing on one of the top 7 in this year's draft for a 3rd line C is a poor start for a new GM.

I don't know why he isn't busting his ass trying to move players and later picks for a mid round 1st if they love Lazar so much. A number of them are reportedly in play.
Do we know that he isn't? How MacT was talking about Horc and Hemsky one has to think he already knows there is a market for them. So who knows what he has lined up for the draft.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

Exactly what is your basis for saying that?

Old
06-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Hoogaar23

Oh wow. Anyone have a link to the clip? Would like to hear it myself.

As for trading down - don't like it one bit. Many believe that there are 7 players, then a dropoff. I would like to get one of those 7, whether they play for us next year or not. Like has been mentioned, if they have a boner for Lazar, then find a way back into the 1st round - use 2014 1st+ if need be.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:05 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Oh wow. Anyone have a link to the clip? Would like to hear it myself.

As for trading down - don't like it one bit. Many believe that there are 7 players, then a dropoff. I would like to get one of those 7, whether they play for us next year or not. Like has been mentioned, if they have a boner for Lazar, then find a way back into the 1st round - use 2014 1st+ if need be.
I'm starting to wonder just how deep it is. First Rutherford now MacT talking about leaving the top 7.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'm starting to wonder just how deep it is. First Rutherford now MacT talking about leaving the top 7.
Year after year...

March: "this is the deepest draft since 2003/in years!"

June: "not that deep, huge drop off after first X picks"

Old
06-06-2013, 03:15 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Do we know that he isn't? How MacT was talking about Horc and Hemsky one has to think he already knows there is a market for them. So who knows what he has lined up for the draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Exactly what is your basis for saying that?
I phrased that very poorly. I meant that I would prefer that MacT do everything possible to trade up to take Lazar if he wants him, but that I still wanted whoever was there at 7, and wouldn't sacrifice that. Basically, I am not a fan of trading down. The return is never that significant and you generally end up with the worse player out of the deal.

Closed Thread