HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2013, 08:11 PM
  #801
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I don't much like O'Leary's on-air persona (does anybody?) but his radio segments all either teach me something I didn't know or at least give me something to think about. When it comes to radio, I'd take listening to him over super-dull nice guys Russ Dratwa & Brent Bullis any day.
I seem to unknowingly tune into the money show sometimes, by chance, and Brent Bullis is quite good IMO, he's dull but knowledgable, sensible and you can learn a lot more from him than you can O'Leary.

Philly85 is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 08:35 PM
  #802
bleed_oil
Registered User
 
bleed_oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
Does anyone else think that its ridiculous that the TEAM hosts (both Fraser\Nelson and Gregor) were calling for Gillis's head after the Canucks got swept. Seriously Edmonton media! You guys dont have the balls to call KLowe out after YEARS and YEARS and YEARS of ineptitude and you are more than happy to drop the bomb on a guy who's made a winning team year in year out. I have no love for the Canucks, but the Canucks under AV and Gillis are light years ahead of the KLowe lead Oil in every respect.

bleed_oil is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 12:32 PM
  #803
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,438
vCash: 500
Sadly, today was probably my worst experience listening to Neilson/Frasier.

What they probably don't understand is that not everyone thinks the same thing as they do as to what is funny. The Segway schtick went on for way too long.

I had this Rome feeling where they drew everything out.

The things they love should be done, without doing them to death.

Encarnacion songs, making fun of a woman that knows nothing about sports calling in for Kindofeasy Trivia, etc etc.

Make sure you keep your material fresh and new for regular listeners.

Slats432 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 12:50 PM
  #804
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,864
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
Sadly, today was probably my worst experience listening to Neilson/Frasier.

What they probably don't understand is that not everyone thinks the same thing as they do as to what is funny. The Segway schtick went on for way too long.

I had this Rome feeling where they drew everything out.

The things they love should be done, without doing them to death.

Encarnacion songs, making fun of a woman that knows nothing about sports calling in for Kindofeasy Trivia, etc etc.

Make sure you keep your material fresh and new for regular listeners.
Gregor and Struds go into a lengthy dj or karoke bit far too often as well. It's funny at first, but when you kinda zone out and then realize they spent 15 minutes on this it's kinda embarrassing.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:05 PM
  #805
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,010
vCash: 500
I cut the morning guys and Gregor a little slack for stretching or repeating ideas because 4 hours, 5 days a week is a ton of airtime to fill in a talk format. Still, everything has a shelf life and they need to realize that.

abootzky is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:20 PM
  #806
Oilception
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Albert
Country: Canada
Posts: 805
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
Sadly, today was probably my worst experience listening to Neilson/Frasier.

What they probably don't understand is that not everyone thinks the same thing as they do as to what is funny. The Segway schtick went on for way too long.

I had this Rome feeling where they drew everything out.

The things they love should be done, without doing them to death.

Encarnacion songs, making fun of a woman that knows nothing about sports calling in for Kindofeasy Trivia, etc etc.

Make sure you keep your material fresh and new for regular listeners.

I thought the Segway bit was pretty funny, and i enjoyed it quite a bit


on a different note, they were talking to Ryan Rishaug today and he was saying that the Oilers were offered something for Hemsky at the trade dead line, but right before he said wat it was i lost my connection and didnt catch it. anyone hear what it was?

Oilception is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
  #807
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,864
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I cut the morning guys and Gregor a little slack for stretching or repeating ideas because 4 hours, 5 days a week is a ton of airtime to fill in a talk format. Still, everything has a shelf life and they need to realize that.
I agree with you as I don't think it's their fault, but whoever thinks it's a good idea to give them that much airtime needs to give their heads a shake.

I feel that what is going on with the Team 1260 programming is going to end up hurting people's careers. Going from quality to quantity is a bad mistake.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:35 PM
  #808
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Does anyone else think that its ridiculous that the TEAM hosts (both Fraser\Nelson and Gregor) were calling for Gillis's head after the Canucks got swept. Seriously Edmonton media! You guys dont have the balls to call KLowe out after YEARS and YEARS and YEARS of ineptitude and you are more than happy to drop the bomb on a guy who's made a winning team year in year out. I have no love for the Canucks, but the Canucks under AV and Gillis are light years ahead of the KLowe lead Oil in every respect.
I didn't listen to the show, but you're right, that is ridiculous. I get it's a lot easier for them to lob grenades at someone when he's in a different time zone. Sad.

Asher is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 05:35 PM
  #809
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ghana Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Does anyone else think that its ridiculous that the TEAM hosts (both Fraser\Nelson and Gregor) were calling for Gillis's head after the Canucks got swept. Seriously Edmonton media! You guys dont have the balls to call KLowe out after YEARS and YEARS and YEARS of ineptitude and you are more than happy to drop the bomb on a guy who's made a winning team year in year out. I have no love for the Canucks, but the Canucks under AV and Gillis are light years ahead of the KLowe lead Oil in every respect.
I think Gillis is extremely Lowe-like, and does deserve to be fired. Most of the moves he's made are poor, and will only look worse with the passage of time. Hopefully Vancouver doesn't realize it and retains him long term so he can ruin the franchise just like Lowe ruined the Oilers.

So no, I don't think it's ridiculous at all. But agree that it's pathetic that the Edmonton media never called for Lowe, MacT, Tambo, Renney, etc. to be fired when clearly they needed to be. Unfortunately all of Edmonton media are terrified that they'll be banned from the dressing room by the Oilers if they start calling for everyone to get fired. They'll keep silent, then dogpile on a guy once he actually does get fired saying what a great move it was.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 05:41 PM
  #810
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ghana Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
Sadly, today was probably my worst experience listening to Neilson/Frasier.

What they probably don't understand is that not everyone thinks the same thing as they do as to what is funny. The Segway schtick went on for way too long.

I had this Rome feeling where they drew everything out.

The things they love should be done, without doing them to death.

Encarnacion songs, making fun of a woman that knows nothing about sports calling in for Kindofeasy Trivia, etc etc.

Make sure you keep your material fresh and new for regular listeners.
I actually like that the morning show is becoming Rome-like in their use of soundbites and reccurring jokes. But I love Rome, so naturally I like that sort of stuff, but I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

This is the result of a station deciding to format itself as Oilers radio. 12 consecutive hours of mainly Oiler/NHL talk is impossible to fill with meaningful serious discussion, even when the team is playing let alone now, and that's why there are entire segments devoted to discussing the hot Wendy's girl, ficticious Linus Omark trade proposals, Strudwick kareoke contests, etc.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 01:56 PM
  #811
Fuhryous
Registered User
 
Fuhryous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Medicine Hat, AB
Country: Hungary
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Just a heads up...for those are interested, Mac-T will be on Spector's show in a few minutes.

Fuhryous is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 02:12 PM
  #812
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,600
vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
Just a heads up...for those are interested, Mac-T will be on Spector's show in a few minutes.
Saying some interesting things. Seems very keen on trading the 7th overall pick, and now, instead of at the draft.

R S is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 02:14 PM
  #813
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,864
vCash: 688
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 1m
"Sometimes change is good for both the org and the player." — Craig MacTavish on Hemsky and Horcoff.

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 30s
MacTavish on Hemsky, Horcoff: "Ideal scenario would be to move them on and wish them the best."

ya so how do they come to camp?

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 02:17 PM
  #814
Lindo
Registered User
 
Lindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
Sooo Taylor Hall, new Oilers captain?

And very worried about the moving back trade talk.

Lindo is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 02:22 PM
  #815
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,225
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Sooo Taylor Hall, new Oilers captain?

And very worried about the moving back trade talk.



I am the Liquor is online now  
Old
06-06-2013, 02:34 PM
  #816
Lindo
Registered User
 
Lindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
^ At this point, I'm just waiting for it to happen. He seemed sold on trading down.

Lindo is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 02:41 PM
  #817
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Lazar has 61 points in 72 games.

Sean Monahan (for example) has 78 points in 58 games (and he's bigger).

Is there something I'm missing here?

Hockey Nightmare is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 02:47 PM
  #818
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Lazar has 61 points in 72 games.

Sean Monahan (for example) has 78 points in 58 games.

Is there something I'm missing here?
Apparently the Oilers love their Oil Kings and will make suspect draft decisions when it comes to them. First Moroz last year and Lazar this year. They'd better be right about this kid, because every time I have seen him, I get a distinct 3rd line C impression. And, imo, passing on one of the top 7 in this year's draft for a 3rd line C is a poor start for a new GM.

I don't know why he isn't busting his ass trying to move players and later picks for a mid round 1st if they love Lazar so much. A number of them are reportedly in play.

s7ark is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 02:48 PM
  #819
The Big Unit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
^ At this point, I'm just waiting for it to happen. He seemed sold on trading down.
Maybe there's a really good deal in the works and he's just waiting for the playoffs to end so he can pull the trigger? Trading down won't hurt us if the return is right. I recognize that lots of posters aren't exactly sold on MacTavish as GM but at least his diagnosis of the team's issues seems pretty spot on. If anything I'm encouraged hearing that he's ready to send Hemsky and Horcoff packing.

The Big Unit is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 02:50 PM
  #820
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,864
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Apparently the Oilers love their Oil Kings and will make suspect draft decisions when it comes to them. First Moroz last year and Lazar this year. They'd better be right about this kid, because every time I have seen him, I get a distinct 3rd line C impression. And, imo, passing on one of the top 7 in this year's draft for a 3rd line C is a poor start for a new GM.

I don't know why he isn't busting his ass trying to move players and later picks for a mid round 1st if they love Lazar so much. A number of them are reportedly in play.
Do we know that he isn't? How MacT was talking about Horc and Hemsky one has to think he already knows there is a market for them. So who knows what he has lined up for the draft.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 02:56 PM
  #821
Billybaroo*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Apparently the Oilers love their Oil Kings and will make suspect draft decisions when it comes to them. First Moroz last year and Lazar this year. They'd better be right about this kid, because every time I have seen him, I get a distinct 3rd line C impression. And, imo, passing on one of the top 7 in this year's draft for a 3rd line C is a poor start for a new GM.

I don't know why he isn't busting his ass trying to move players and later picks for a mid round 1st if they love Lazar so much. A number of them are reportedly in play.
Exactly what is your basis for saying that?

Billybaroo* is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 02:59 PM
  #822
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Oh wow. Anyone have a link to the clip? Would like to hear it myself.

As for trading down - don't like it one bit. Many believe that there are 7 players, then a dropoff. I would like to get one of those 7, whether they play for us next year or not. Like has been mentioned, if they have a boner for Lazar, then find a way back into the 1st round - use 2014 1st+ if need be.

Hoogaar23 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 03:05 PM
  #823
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,864
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Oh wow. Anyone have a link to the clip? Would like to hear it myself.

As for trading down - don't like it one bit. Many believe that there are 7 players, then a dropoff. I would like to get one of those 7, whether they play for us next year or not. Like has been mentioned, if they have a boner for Lazar, then find a way back into the 1st round - use 2014 1st+ if need be.
I'm starting to wonder just how deep it is. First Rutherford now MacT talking about leaving the top 7.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
  #824
Skm
Registered User
 
Skm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'm starting to wonder just how deep it is. First Rutherford now MacT talking about leaving the top 7.
Year after year...

March: "this is the deepest draft since 2003/in years!"

June: "not that deep, huge drop off after first X picks"

Skm is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 03:15 PM
  #825
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Do we know that he isn't? How MacT was talking about Horc and Hemsky one has to think he already knows there is a market for them. So who knows what he has lined up for the draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Exactly what is your basis for saying that?
I phrased that very poorly. I meant that I would prefer that MacT do everything possible to trade up to take Lazar if he wants him, but that I still wanted whoever was there at 7, and wouldn't sacrifice that. Basically, I am not a fan of trading down. The return is never that significant and you generally end up with the worse player out of the deal.

s7ark is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.