HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 06:55 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
It just occurred to me that Ristolainen will probably have to stay overseas no matter what because of military service.
I would assume if he was in the CHL when he was drafted he could avoid it? Or do they have to go regardless?

Old
05-09-2013, 07:01 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I would assume if he was in the CHL when he was drafted he could avoid it? Or do they have to go regardless?
I have no idea how it works. Oli Maata left Finland at 17 for the CHL and I haven't heard anything about him having to go back and finish military time.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:34 PM
SuchySays

the Isles should be gooning it up now.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:59 PM
daynus

yah i was wondering about the finnish military service myself.

so the reason finnish grads have to put time in the military is because of a war with their neighbor russia going back a long time ago. i am curious about barkov, this guy would be in an altogether crazy category having a russian father and a finnish mother. would he even be able to serve.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Krishna

If you let Ristolainen stay in Finland for another year, it's not a problem.

A good bit of Finns play while doing the military servers

Old
05-09-2013, 11:00 PM
FLYguy3911

The last Finn to make the jump straight to the NHL was Olli Jokinen back in 97 and that was only for an 8 game trial. Aki Berg was the last one to play a full season (51 games) after his draft year back in 95. Ristolainen is a decent player, but I don't see him breaking that trend. Maybe Barkov will though.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
If you let Ristolainen stay in Finland for another year, it's not a problem.

A good bit of Finns play while doing the military servers
It would help us if he was forced to stay overseas a year or two. I fear Homlgren will rush any Defenseman he picks into the lineup next year. I still want Haag.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I wonder if they make exceptions on the military service for athletes. I think US Army/Navy/Air Force allows players to go right into the NFL or NBA if they are drafted and they just defer their military service until after their careers or something.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Flyers2point0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...-lavys-future/

Last section:

On pursuit for a No. 1 defenseman to replace injured star Chris Pronger:

“Us and 29 other teams are looking for that guy. It’s a never-ending quest to try to find that defenseman that can play all situations. Maybe you have to draft that guy. I don’t know. I like our defensemen when the top 5 guys are healthy. If we could find the right guy and put him into that mix, it would make them better. Obviously, you’re not going to replace a Chris Pronger, but if you can find the right guy who plays on your power play and kills penalties …”

People might not see it as much, but fact is, Holmgren pretty much admits that the only way to get a number one defenseman is to draft one.

As for acquiring a defenseman, if the rumours are true about the Canucks blowing things up, I'd be certainly interested in seeing if a Hartnell/Edler swap could be arranged......
Yeah I don't see us moving our pick or not drafting a d man with it. Hartnell for Edler I would do in a heartbeat.

edit: and at 11 I don't see Hagg being BPA? They'd probably trade down if they wanted to draft Hagg but I don't see them taking him over Zadorov/Risto/Pulock.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2point0 View Post
edit: and at 11 I don't see Hagg being BPA? They'd probably trade down if they wanted to draft Hagg but I don't see them taking him over Zadorov/Risto/Pulock.
Well, he certainly wouldn't be BPA on most consensus lists, but he could easily be on the Flyers. He could also have a 3rd round grade in their eyes.

Brendan Gaunce was, what, 13th going into last year's draft, but the Flyers took Laughton at 20 instead of him.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:19 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2point0 View Post
Yeah I don't see us moving our pick or not drafting a d man with it. Hartnell for Edler I would do in a heartbeat.
Yeah I would too. I don't imagine it being a straight up deal though Flyers would almost certainly have to add something of considerable value. I am a huge Hartnell fan and would not really want to shop him around, but if that deal was out there, you simply can't turn it down. Deal Hartnell for Edler. Sign Malone when he is bought out from TB.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:20 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Well, he certainly wouldn't be BPA on most consensus lists, but he could easily be on the Flyers. He could also have a 3rd round grade in their eyes.

Brendan Gaunce was, what, 13th going into last year's draft, but the Flyers took Laughton at 20 instead of him.
I think Maata was up there pretty high too (that's who I wanted).

Old
05-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I wonder if they make exceptions on the military service for athletes. I think US Army/Navy/Air Force allows players to go right into the NFL or NBA if they are drafted and they just defer their military service until after their careers or something.
Didn't this come up with a guy from Army that was drafted? IIRC, he had to do 2 years and then buy out his contract to repay the free schooling

Old
05-10-2013, 01:00 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Didn't this come up with a guy from Army that was drafted? IIRC, he had to do 2 years and then buy out his contract to repay the free schooling
He had to finish military requirements before he could play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caleb_Campbell

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-10-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old
05-10-2013, 02:46 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
That's not correct. Former Eagles Kyle Eckel and Chad Hall had to fulfill their two year commitments before joining the NFL. Caleb Campbell, Collin Mooney, Eric Kettani, and Roger Staubach all had to do the same.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:05 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
That's not correct. Former Eagles Kyle Eckel and Chad Hall had to fulfill their two year commitments before joining the NFL. Caleb Campbell, Collin Mooney, Eric Kettani, and Roger Staubach all had to do the same.
As did David Robinson, before starting his NBA career.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Nope. i.e. David Robinson. Drafted 1st overall in 1987 played first game in 1989

Old
05-10-2013, 06:58 PM
flybynite77

The Department of Defense allowed the Army to change the rule for their cadets to allow them to immediately begin playing in a sports-league after their graduation from the academy. However they would be in the reserves and have to fulfill certain requirements after their playing career.

However this rule was contested and never actually allowed to be used. The first two army players who would have benefited from it I believe actually were in NFL training camps when told the rule had been suspended and thus they were sent to active duty.

I believe it was probably being based on rules from other countries with mandatory service requirements who have options like this for athletes.

In South Korea every male is required for serve I believe it's now a 22 month stint in the army. It's possible to 'delay' the enlistment, but you have to begin by the end of the year in which you turn 30(Korean age which is 29 in the US).

However they have some favorable rules for athletes. If an athlete wins a gold medal in the Asian Games or Olympics they don't have to serve. Shin Soo Choo who at the time was playing for the Indians would have had to go back to serve his time, but he won with Korea a gold medal in the Asian Games for baseball so he was saved.

The Korean pitcher who's a rookie for the dodgers Ryu Hyun Jin is also exempt for the same reason. Although he he has two gold medals since Korea won the gold in baseball for what may be the last time baseball was in the Olympics(2008 Beijing)

Old
05-10-2013, 07:54 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Nope. i.e. David Robinson. Drafted 1st overall in 1987 played first game in 1989
Robinson was 6'6" when he entered the Navy then grew to 7'1"so they said he couldn't fit on a sub any longer.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
The Department of Defense allowed the Army to change the rule for their cadets to allow them to immediately begin playing in a sports-league after their graduation from the academy. However they would be in the reserves and have to fulfill certain requirements after their playing career.

However this rule was contested and never actually allowed to be used. The first two army players who would have benefited from it I believe actually were in NFL training camps when told the rule had been suspended and thus they were sent to active duty.

I believe it was probably being based on rules from other countries with mandatory service requirements who have options like this for athletes.

In South Korea every male is required for serve I believe it's now a 22 month stint in the army. It's possible to 'delay' the enlistment, but you have to begin by the end of the year in which you turn 30(Korean age which is 29 in the US).

However they have some favorable rules for athletes. If an athlete wins a gold medal in the Asian Games or Olympics they don't have to serve. Shin Soo Choo who at the time was playing for the Indians would have had to go back to serve his time, but he won with Korea a gold medal in the Asian Games for baseball so he was saved.

The Korean pitcher who's a rookie for the dodgers Ryu Hyun Jin is also exempt for the same reason. Although he he has two gold medals since Korea won the gold in baseball for what may be the last time baseball was in the Olympics(2008 Beijing)
I knew I heard that somewhere!

Old
05-10-2013, 09:45 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 589
This was posted on the main board:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nh...-mock-draft-10

Quote:
David Burstyn, McKeen's Hockey Director of Scouting, has put together the first round of the Mock Draft, using the reverse point order of where the team's finished at the end of the regular season for the final 16 selections. This will change by the end of the playoffs.

McKeen's Hockey will put out their top 120 picks for the Entry Draft on May 22. In addition, they will also preview the 2014 and 2015 Drafts. Click here to enter their site, it's a great buy.
Quote:
11 Flyers Samuel Morin Samuel Morin is this year's most intriguing prospect as he stands a whopping 6'8, can skate and make offensive plays, his stock is at a premuim after a solid showing at the U18 World Championships where he helped Canada capture gold

Old
05-10-2013, 09:53 PM
IronMarshal

My two cents, probably not worth two cents.
FWIW: I have never seen any of these guys play (other than video clips) and base my assessment on what I have read (and seen in a few clips).
My top four are not really different than most people:
1. Jones
2. Drouin (I think he looks superior to MacKinnon as a scorer, hands and hockey sense)
3. MacKinnon
4. Barkov
After those I am focusing on the Flyers pick and would choose players in this order if they fell to number 11.
1. Nurse
If I were Holmgren, that is how I would rank them. After those 4, I would go for Nurse. I know this is not where most people would go, thinking BPA, but the Flyers D need is so great, and I do not think the other forwards are necessarily going to be better than Nurse, who seems to excel defensively and on the PK, has a cannon shot, is a good passer out of the zone, is a strong mobile skater, very good fighter with leadership intangibles and a desire to improve. I think he is the perfecet pick for the Flyers.
2. Pulock
Most will disagree with this, but the Flyers biggest need is a dominant defenseman which I think Jones and Nurse will be. Barring that a power play QB and point shot is their biggest need IMO. Pulock looks like the man. Everything I read about him I like, Cannon shot, maybe THE cannon shot in this draft, good passer, skater, tremendous open ice hitter, and good at engaging the crease. High character player and leader.
As good as Nichushkin, Lindholm and Monahan are, I think Pulock is a far better fit for the Flyers. Fortunately, I think they will be gone before Pulock. Unfortunately, I think Nurse will be gone before the Flyers pick (thanks to their honest effort at the season's end - no Penguins these Flyers, no tank job).
Obviously after these two DMen, one would have to think about Nichushkin, Lindholm and Monahan.
Next up would be Zadorov.
Love his size and physical play. Good shot and mobility for size. I think he will be a fine player with a lot of upside.
Ristolainen would be next.
That would be 11 picks.
If they trade down and get two picks, a Dman like any of the above or Morin, Morrissey or Haag and maybe Manthato bolster the attack would be nice.
In the scond round, I really like Dillon Heatherington who could still be there (Theodore is another but I think he will be gone). I think Marc Olivier Roy is an interesting prospect there as well, and Ian McCoshen, should he fall to that spot (doubtful, but I did see him in a mock there).
I'd be ecstatic with Nurse, very happy with Pulock, and really would like one of those guys in the second round.
So that is my two cents, worth nothing.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

That mock draft from McKeen's is pretty outrageous. I would be pretty pissed if they took Morin over Nichushkin and Ristolanien.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Clown Baby

I'm going with Robert Hagg. This video does a very good job of illustrating his skills, minor as some plays seem. His first pass looks crisp. His skating is fluid. His puckhandling is very fluid, very natural. He's not afraid to engage players physically. He has a hammer of a shot that gets on net. I think if he played in the CHL, he'd be talked about more.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:33 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

While Haag is a good prospect, he's a reach at 11, flat out. There will likely be better defensive prospects on the board at that position. I'd be thrilled if we were able to get Haag in the 2nd round, but I'm not picking him in the 1st round if guys like Nurse, Ristolainen, Pulock or Zadorov are there. That would be a travesty.

Closed Thread