HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread Part III - Squeezed Into The Top Ten

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Caller View Post
Lazar, Zykov, Gauthier, etc. I know people compare Lazar to Mike Richards but I don't see it happening. I would much rather take Nurse or Ristolainen. Obviously if you have a choice of Domi, Shinkaruk, Nichushkin, or Lindholm, you take the forward.
Zykov projects higher than a third liner. Not sure about the other two.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Another player - outside of the obvious bunch (Carrier, Duclair etc.) - most likely listed in the 2nd round I wouldn`t be disappointed about if we picked him is Oliver Bjorkstrand. Winterhawks` Danish import. The guy has such a great feel around the net, has soft hands, good wheels and a great release. A bit undersized at 5ft11 170 lbs, but can make up for it with his hockey sense. Unfortunately, since many scouts have visited Portland`s games during the year (Jones and Petan), it`s probably unrealistic to expect him to fly under the radar. Especially because he was a PPG player during the regular season (and the POs; plays for a powerhouse so his +38 shouldn`t be a surprise to anyone).

I`ve seen a couple of their RS games and the last two series and he`s been nothing short of impressive.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:12 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

http://hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1522

Old
05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
take that flier on slepyshev late in the draft if he's still there! i remember a bunch of us pleading for that last year too

Old
05-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Also, my boy Sven Andrighetto who I wanted the Devils to draft last year (nobody did) is proving all the scouts wrong. The Swiss really improved his point totals (recorded 98 points in the RS; lead his team) and went from -23 to +25 this year. He also had 30 points in just 14 games in the POs (probably played with Kucherov though) for the Huskies (Q). Yes, he`s small and already 20yo but he`s worked his butt off to get where he`s at right now. This is the last year of his eligibility and I`m curious where he gets picked. If he`s still on the board, I wouldn`t be upset if we used a late round pick on him.

Overager or not, the kid looked great in the WJC too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
So Pronman has Bjorkstrand #52. I like that.

Forgot to mention he`s a RW.

Other things I noticed:
Duclair at #37 is right where he should be, bit of a bummer.
Carrier at #41.
Daňo (watched him closely during the year, if you have any questions just ask) at #43/Cehlarik (another Slovak) at #50.
Subban at #54.
Tolchinsky at #56.

And well oh well, look who we got here. Another one of "my" picks in Slepyshev at #45. Then again, he should`ve been taken already and his KHL deal still doesn`t help his situation, but as I`ve said many times, it`d be a crime not to use a late round pick on him.

I`m also pleased to see Hartman at #42, but much like Brodeur, I don`t expect him to last that long/past the Canes. I should also say that Rychel being that low on Pronman`s list isn`t a surprise to me. I`ve watched a couple of the Spitfires games too and he hasn`t been very noticeable in those. I`ll gladly eat my words if he becomes a regular impactful NHLer though.

As for Zykov and Gauther, who have been mentioned above. I only watched the Drakkar in the finals, but Zykov has been very good. He doesn`t look or play like a prototypical Russian. As for Gauthier, I`ve only seen one Rimouski game earlier this year and he appears like one of those boom/bust big guys who can either become very good or vanish to eternity. That`s a risk I wouldn`t take if we`re talking about trading down.

EDIT: he has Andrighetto at #84 and Reway (another very talented Slovak) at #112.

And JC Lipon (played at the WJC; he`s got a mean streak to his game) at #118. Mironov at #119, Alex Basso at #193, Dominik Kahun at #199 and Tomas Mikus (SVK) at #217.

Just listing the players I watched. I could also get you a scouting report on Kubalik and Yarullin/Sigaryov.

Last edited by Getzo5: 05-10-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old
05-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Now before we get to serious business. How about we draft Burnside or Cangelosi?

Old
05-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
We should think about Slepyshev with our 2nd too.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
We should think about Slepyshev with our 2nd too.
I don`t know if I`d take him that high. There`s still some risk involved. Then again, it`s not up to us to make that decision and they are the ones who should gather enough info to make sure they don`t take a step nowhere. The tools are still there, his upside hasn`t changed. Unfortunately, neither has his status.

Do you or Jason have some horses in this race? Have you been following some of the prospects this year? Just curious.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Jack Griffin

I really liked Dano from watching him at the WJC this year. He also has decent numbers in the KHL considering he only played 10 minutes a game. I think he'd be a solid option at 39.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:17 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Lazar, Zykov, Gauthier, etc. I know people compare Lazar to Mike Richards but I don't see it happening. I would much rather take Nurse or Ristolainen. Obviously if you have a choice of Domi, Shinkaruk, Nichushkin, or Lindholm, you take the forward.
I mentionned Zykov and Lazar if ever we were to trade down in order to grab a forward and add a extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Zykov is a real solid offensive player and wouldn't mind him one bit if we traded down a couple of spots and took him at #12 or something in that range. Lazar isn't a "sexy" pick but the kid is just money. Having those type of players on your team is always a plus and if I had to compare him to something, I'd say he's like a "Swiss army knife"... he can do just about anything very well

If Philly is really really high on Nurse or Ristolainen, I'd squeeze out as much as possible from Holmgrem but knowing Lou, he'd never deal with the enemy in fear of having that player bite him in the ass, wich is also understandable.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

He`s not "money", he just plays a pro-style of game in the juniors and that naturally makes him more visible, much like in Horvat`s case. That means he`s close to someone like Josefson.

What we need is a game-breaking type of a player. Lazar isn`t that. At least not yet and from what I`ve seen, it doesn`t seem like he could become one in the future. Who knows though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
I really liked Dano from watching him at the WJC this year. He also has decent numbers in the KHL considering he only played 10 minutes a game. I think he'd be a solid option at 39.
That`d be cool for one reason - I could get as close to him as his family. lol

The kid has some minor issues. He takes quite a lot of careless penalties/at stupid times and has some defensive flaws but yes, there is some potential. For a guy of his size, he hits (good stability on the skates), he drives hard to the net, he`s not afraid to shoot, has some leadership qualities and his puck control is solid too. He`s also a son of a former player. That means a couple of things. He knows how to handle himself on and off the ice, knows what`s expected of him (2nd youngest player to make a debut in the Slovak Extraleague - only to Gaborik) and he also gets some recognition from the national teams` coaches because of that. That can sometimes be a double edged sword though, he`s always been put in a perfect situation (if you disregard the fact that there has always been extra pressure on him).

Quote:
Now before we get to serious business. How about we draft Burnside or Cangelosi?
Or Prokhorov. Could be a distant relative. lol

Last edited by Getzo5: 05-10-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old
05-10-2013, 03:40 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
He`s not "money", he just plays a pro-style of game in the juniors and that naturally makes him more visible, much like in Horvat`s case. That means he`s close to someone like Josefson.

What we need is a game-breaking type of a player. Lazar isn`t that. At least not yet and from what I`ve seen, it doesn`t seem like he could become one in the future. Who knows though.
Josefson? Geez, that's a pretty brutal comparision right there for more reasons then I can think of.

Curtis is the type of player you win with. He'll do just about anything for the good of the team and that's something you can never have enough of. Looking at his stats alone, you're right, he's not like the rest of the "sexy" picks who'll go before him or the middle part of the draft like Domi or Shinkaruk. He doesn't have the same skillset they do offensively but he's a much more rounded player who has a NHL caliber shot and is real solid on draws.

He got off to a very average start this year when he had like 8 goals and 17 points in 27 games but he finished strong, racking up 30 goals and 44 points in his final 45 games.

Again, he'd be a prime candidate IMO, if we were to trade down in that #12 to #16 range, for whatever reason.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Josefson? Geez, that's a pretty brutal comparision right there for more reasons then I can think of.

Curtis is the type of player you win with. He'll do just about anything for the good of the team and that's something you can never have enough of. Looking at his stats alone, you're right, he's not like the rest of the "sexy" picks who'll go before him or the middle part of the draft like Domi or Shinkaruk. He doesn't have the same skillset they do offensively but he's a much more rounded player who has a NHL caliber shot and is real solid on draws.

He got off to a very average start this year when he had like 8 goals and 17 points in 27 games but he finished strong, racking up 30 goals and 44 points in his final 45 games.

Again, he'd be a prime candidate IMO, if we were to trade down in that #12 to #16 range, for whatever reason.
That`s exactly why I used that comparison and you`re taking it too far, as usual. His shot or body presence might be what separates him from players like Josefson, but you get the point, I hope.

That`s all I was saying. When we were around the #20 spot, I said (even here) he`s one of those guys I want us to take. We`re in a different ballpark now. He might be one of the most ready prospects, but that doesn`t say much. We need upside and we need to think long term. I`m not saying I`m against selecting a player like Lazar or Horvat, I just don`t think it`s the best we can do. That is the end of discussion for me (on this matter). I`ve made myself clear, move on (no reason to spend more time talking about nothing, as usual).

Old
05-10-2013, 04:04 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
That`s exactly why I used that comparison and you`re taking it too far, as usual. His shot or body presence might be what separates him from players like Josefson, but you get the point, I hope.

That`s all I was saying. When we were around the #20 spot, I said (even here) he`s one of those guys I want us to take. We`re in a different ballpark now. He might be one of the most ready prospects, but that doesn`t say much. We need upside and we need to think long term. I`m not saying I`m against selecting a player like Lazar or Horvat, I just don`t think it`s the best we can do. That is the end of discussion for me (on this matter). I`ve made myself clear, move on (no reason to spend more time talking about nothing, as usual).
And if all the usual suspects are off the board at #9, who or what is your "2nd option"?

Old
05-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
And if all the usual suspects are off the board at #9, who or what is your "2nd option"?
One of them will be available. Most likely Shinkaruk. I truly believe so.

If not, Domi or Mantha, obviously. Wouldn`t be upset if we took Zykov, honestly. Next question!

Old
05-10-2013, 04:07 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 1050
If Monahan,Lindholm,Nichuskin are all gone I wouldn't mind Ristolainen.

Just because our defensive prospect pool is strong I don't think its worth it to trade down and get another pick.
And if we really have a surplus in defensive prospect pool, Lou can trade one of them for a forward.

And plus its not like our defense is all that good, so having an NHL ready prospect like Ristolainen would be good.

But that is only if one of Monahan,Lindholm,or Nichuskin isn't there.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalchukR8 View Post

Just because our defensive prospect pool is strong I don't think its worth it to trade down and get another pick.
And if we really have a surplus in defensive prospect pool, Lou can trade one of them for a forward.

And plus its not like our defense is all that good, so having an NHL ready prospect like Ristolainen would be good.

The problem with Ristolainen (who I have quite a lot of faith in btw.) is that I tend to think that NONE of our D prospects (at least those who I wouldn`t have a problem parting ways with) can bring us THAT kind of a young forward in a trade. I think our chances are higher if we just select one in this year`s draft.

Then again, it`s this never ending circle argument: who is the BPA and will we take him or take the more immediate need?

Thank God I`m not the one making the judgement call. But yes, THIS YEAR I`d rather go after a forward no matter what. It makes the most sense to me.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:

This is my line of thinking as well. I wouldn't mind a Ristolainen pick if the alternative is a higher-risk forward. Taking him at 9 would be a very good pick considering he's near NHL ready and is a potential top-pairing two-way guy. THOSE are the players I think you can't have enough of.

That being said, I wouldn't mind Shinkaruk either and I'm coming around on Domi. At this point, I think the Devils need to draft for upside. The nice thing about guys like Lazar and Horvat is that if they don't become top-notch offensive guys, they're still likely to be very good depth players. The Devils have enough potential depth guys in their system that I don't think drafting "safe" is necessary.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
This is my line of thinking as well. I wouldn't mind a Ristolainen pick if the alternative is a higher-risk forward. Taking him at 9 would be a very good pick considering he's near NHL ready and is a potential top-pairing two-way guy. THOSE are the players I think you can't have enough of.

That being said, I wouldn't mind Shinkaruk either and I'm coming around on Domi. At this point, I think the Devils need to draft for upside. The nice thing about guys like Lazar and Horvat is that if they don't become top-notch offensive guys, they're still likely to be very good depth players. The Devils have enough potential depth guys in their system that I don't think drafting "safe" is necessary.
Schizofrenic much? Sounds pretty equal to me. I mean, see, this is exactly where you have to make up your mind.

I`m not saying I can. Just pointing fingers.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Schizofrenic much? Sounds pretty equal to me. I mean, see, this is exactly where you have to make up your mind.

I`m not saying I can. Just pointing fingers.
Basically what I WILL mind is Nurse or Zadorov or reaching for someone like Wennberg, who has that whole Josefson "questionable offense but great all-around" thing going on.

If I'm Lou and my pick is up and all the top 6 forwards are gone, I probably take Ristolainen and look for the best "go-for-broke" forward at the 39th spot.

But I'm NOT Lou, so I can't see myself being upset unless he trades way down to 20 or something just to grab another defenseman.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
The problem with Ristolainen (who I have quite a lot of faith in btw.) is that I tend to think that NONE of our D prospects (at least those who I wouldn`t have a problem parting ways with) can bring us THAT kind of a young forward in a trade. I think our chances are higher if we just select one in this year`s draft.

Then again, it`s this never ending circle argument: who is the BPA and will we take him or take the more immediate need?

Thank God I`m not the one making the judgement call. But yes, THIS YEAR I`d rather go after a forward no matter what. It makes the most sense to me.
I want the best player available unless its a close call. Would you rather have Dougie Hamilton, Jonas Brodin, Cam Fowler, or Ryan Strome, Peter Holland, Zach Kassian, etc.

If the best player on the board is a forward go forward. If a defenseman is unanimously the best player available by your scouts, go defense. Maybe the forward at our spot will be more like a Skinner, Granlund, or Tarasenko. If so then obviously take the forward. My point is do not draft based on position. Take the best player because who really gives a **** what positional need was in a few years. If Boston needed a forward (hypothetically) I really don't think they give a **** when Dougie Hamilton is on their blueline.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
I want the best player available unless its a close call. Would you rather have Dougie Hamilton, Jonas Brodin, Cam Fowler, or Ryan Strome, Peter Holland, Zach Kassian, etc.

If the best player on the board is a forward go forward. If a defenseman is unanimously the best player available by your scouts, go defense. Maybe the forward at our spot will be more like a Skinner, Granlund, or Tarasenko. If so then obviously take the forward. My point is do not draft based on position. Take the best player because who really gives a **** what positional need was in a few years. If Boston needed a forward (hypothetically) I really don't think they give a **** when Dougie Hamilton is on their blueline.
Hindsight 20/20, eh? As a scout, you can only ASSUME who`s the BPA. It doesn`t mean you`re right. Not to mention the term itself is relative. But that`s a different discussion and I don`t have time for that. We`ll see I guess.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:04 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:

Except we already have a bunch of those.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:44 PM
nugg
McDive for McDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I remember Conte telling a horror story about the 1988 Draft. Devils were at #12 and figured one of Selanne, Roenick, or Brind'Amour would be there. And then they went 8-9-10 and the Devils drafted a guy named Corey Foster.
Note to Devils: NEVER DRAFT OR TRADE FOR A FOSTER!!!

Old
05-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Hindsight 20/20, eh? As a scout, you can only ASSUME who`s the BPA. It doesn`t mean you`re right. Not to mention the term itself is relative. But that`s a different discussion and I don`t have time for that. We`ll see I guess.
That makes no sense. You obviously have players ranked according to your scouts due diligence. So because you don't know what's going to happen it justifies picking a lower player on the board? You do your best to evaluate the prospects and you pick the one you feel will be the best player. Simple concept.

Since they can only assume the best player available and nobody really knows, maybe they should just draft me in the first round? I have pretty good hockey sense and after all, there's no way of knowing I won't turn out to be better than Darnell Nurse. He may have a foot on me, but that's not a big deal. In all seriousness, it makes no sense to take Zack Kassian over Dougie Hamilton because your organization needs offense more. Now, if it's a close call in terms of your scouts' rankings, like Tarasenko and Hamilton, go ahead and take Tarasenko. (Note: I know these players were drafted in different years. It's for hypothetical purposes).

Closed Thread