HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 08:19 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Like what other teams?

Old
05-09-2013, 08:41 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Like what other teams?
you probably need to quote the post lol

Old
05-09-2013, 09:24 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Horton is easily the best forward for for us. Can smash bodies, score goals, and is a leader. Love the guys game and would love him as a predator.

Imagine how much better he would be if given way more ice time and being permanent first line, whereas in Boston he is buried behind some first liners.

If poile gets Horton streit and drafts barkov, he is sooooo in my good books!!

We should also draft some defense in later round after first, cupboards a little bare there, that's my wish list all in all for the offseason.
I don't know how you came to that conclusion. He isn't burried behind first liners, he's playing along side them. The Lucic-Krejci-Horton line has been the Bruins' top line for years. He gets more offensive zone time than anyone, and does so with elite linemates. The Bergeron line takes the tough matchups night in and night out, leaving Horton's group to take on the secondary opposition. He gets less total icetime than the rest of Boston's top 6 forwards, but two of those forwards play significant PK time (where Horton is not asked to kill penalties).

I can't imagine Horton ever being in a better situation than he's currently in with Boston, and I don't think an extra 1:00 - 1:20 of icetime per game is going to result in much more production, if any.

Even when he was a Panther, he was only ever effective when on Weiss' line. When he played with anybody else, he was a disaster. Horton can be a nice complimentary piece, but if you're looking for a guy who can lead the charge and be a difference maker (which is how you'd have to pay him), I'd look elsewhere.

05-10-2013, 06:19 AM
Jubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Like what other teams?
Philly for one. Article suggests Toronto too.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:37 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
you probably need to quote the post lol
Noticed that, but I can't edit anything.

Philly better use what cap space they have to find some defense.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't know how you came to that conclusion. He isn't burried behind first liners, he's playing along side them. The Lucic-Krejci-Horton line has been the Bruins' top line for years. He gets more offensive zone time than anyone, and does so with elite linemates. The Bergeron line takes the tough matchups night in and night out, leaving Horton's group to take on the secondary opposition. He gets less total icetime than the rest of Boston's top 6 forwards, but two of those forwards play significant PK time (where Horton is not asked to kill penalties).

I can't imagine Horton ever being in a better situation than he's currently in with Boston, and I don't think an extra 1:00 - 1:20 of icetime per game is going to result in much more production, if any.

Even when he was a Panther, he was only ever effective when on Weiss' line. When he played with anybody else, he was a disaster. Horton can be a nice complimentary piece, but if you're looking for a guy who can lead the charge and be a difference maker (which is how you'd have to pay him), I'd look elsewhere.
I agree with you and it's why I would rather go after Stalberg than Horton. They both are big and play physical. The difference to me is Stalbberg has more speed.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I agree with you and it's why I would rather go after Stalberg than Horton. They both are big and play physical. The difference to me is Stalbberg has more speed.
Yep agreed. If Poile adds another forward in FA around the 4-5mill dollar range that's who I'd want. VS is really fast and always seems to be around the puck. He brings alot of energy to the ice every time he is out there. Really like this player.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 142
You guys can sure tsalk your way in to mediocre players.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:02 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Free agency is usually a beggar's pit. What sort of move do you expect?

We can only do what we can.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Byrddog

The last full year Horton played he was 44th in the league in goals and 75th in points and that was a good year for him and we want to pay the guy 4,5 to 5 mil??????? Now 3.5 to 4 may be ok in this market for this guy but when you only going to be able to sign 1 forward why not buy up 5.5 r 6 would get someone that would be able to make a much bigger impact. And there will be a couple of them out there when teams start to dump salary to get under the cap.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:12 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
The last full year Horton played he was 44th in the league in goals and 75th in points and that was a good year for him and we want to pay the guy 4,5 to 5 mil??????? Now 3.5 to 4 may be ok in this market for this guy but when you only going to be able to sign 1 forward why not buy up 5.5 r 6 would get someone that would be able to make a much bigger impact. And there will be a couple of them out there when teams start to dump salary to get under the cap.
What forward do you envision being available? No one's going to be dumping Ryan Kesler to get under the cap. No one's going to be dumping Claude Giroux. It's going to broken down players like David Booth, like Daniel Briere. The best "buyout" option might be Dany Heatley, honestly.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Byrddog

There are going to be players looking for a home I would not touch Briere or Booth either. It does not have to be players that are bought out, DP could still work a deal to get I have a list of 10 that he could have a chance to get due to circumstance but people here think im kookie enough so I will not list them. But to settle paying a 20 goal scorer 5 mil a year is not something this team needs to do again.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:26 PM
JPE123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Barry Trotz would hang the Sedins in the press box by their nuts.
Quote of the day!

Old
05-10-2013, 01:28 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
There are going to be players looking for a home I would not touch Briere or Booth either. It does not have to be players that are bought out, DP could still work a deal to get I have a list of 10 that he could have a chance to get due to circumstance but people here think im kookie enough so I will not list them. But to settle paying a 20 goal scorer 5 mil a year is not something this team needs to do again.
Have to give to get. What's your plan?

Old
05-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Persona5

Quote:
I agree but I also think Stalberg can be had for around 3.5m a year. That would be worth it.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I agree but I also think Stalberg can be had for around 3.5m a year. That would be worth it.

I would love to see him here for that price. I just have a feeling the market will drive his price closer to 5mill.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:47 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
The last full year Horton played he was 44th in the league in goals and 75th in points and that was a good year for him and we want to pay the guy 4,5 to 5 mil??????? Now 3.5 to 4 may be ok in this market for this guy but when you only going to be able to sign 1 forward why not buy up 5.5 r 6 would get someone that would be able to make a much bigger impact.
Who are you going to pick up in that range that costs us nothing asset-wise? Sure, we'd take Martin St Louis for 5.5m, but we'd have to give up Josi+ in the process.

If Horton can put up 25-30 goals with some big body play (not to be confused with major physical presence), he'd well worth 4-5m. We are a goal starved team at he's a proven mid-level goal scorer, but certainly not elite. If he was elite, you're looking at 7m+.

I'd take both Staalberg and Horton at $9m total. Both are entering their prime, and are the right age vets to add to a rebuilding team.

Get rid of SK, Gaustad. That's only a net add of $3m and a significant upgrade.

Get rid of Gill. Target Douglas Murray and maybe Babchuk-- different players but both would fill needs on D.

Keep eyes open for other guys who become available with salary cam purge. There are other guys we can cut too. If we add Stallberg and Barkov, we'll have a surplus of centers and can move at least one pricey one.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Who are you going to pick up in that range that costs us nothing asset-wise? Sure, we'd take Martin St Louis for 5.5m, but we'd have to give up Josi+ in the process.

If Horton can put up 25-30 goals with some big body play (not to be confused with major physical presence), he'd well worth 4-5m. We are a goal starved team at he's a proven mid-level goal scorer, but certainly not elite. If he was elite, you're looking at 7m+.

I'd take both Staalberg and Horton at $9m total. Both are entering their prime, and are the right age vets to add to a rebuilding team.

Get rid of SK, Gaustad. That's only a net add of $3m and a significant upgrade.

Get rid of Gill. Target Douglas Murray and maybe Babchuk-- different players but both would fill needs on D.

Keep eyes open for other guys who become available with salary cam purge. There are other guys we can cut too. If we add Stallberg and Barkov, we'll have a surplus of centers and can move at least one pricey one.
UFA to be David Clarkson ... I loved the way the dude played last year ... I think he'll get 4-5, and I would cry tears of joy if we were able to get him, Barkov & a UFA Dman (who may be bought out or trade for another top 4 dman, tbqh, I think we only have 3 top 4 Dmen), can always use Radulov as a chip wrt upgrading our back-end

Old
05-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Such is the way of free agent talk. Does the guy have a recognizable name, did he burn our team this season, did he have a few good televised performances, and is he currently not part of the roster? If so, he would instantly make this team better and we should overpay him. This isn't to mention the players we're coveting that we have no realistic shot at acquiring because they are either staying with their current team, have no interest in moving to the "Western" Conferences, or just don't really have an interest in playing for us. I so HATE free agency, October can really not come soon enough.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:22 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Has anyone mentioned Tyler Bozak? He's not going to be a monster offensively but will put up around 50 points and is as solid a faceoff guy as you will find in the league. To me that's not a bad thing. If we could deal Gaustad and use his salary+ to land Bozak I think it would be worth exploring.

I know that Poile has talked about making moves but looking at the UFA's out there, I'm not all that impressed. Maybe a move towards a RFA? Not sure if that's the way to go either. Trades seem to be an option and with Blum and Ellis basically being redundant, one could be moved or should be moved.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:49 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
This isn't to mention the players we're coveting that we have no realistic shot at acquiring because they are either staying with their current team, have no interest in moving to the "Western" Conferences, or just don't really have an interest in playing for us.
Either that, or Poile is sitting by the phone waiting on them to call?

It's been 8 years since we've acquired any significant UFA (Jason Arnott). All 3 significant UFA additions in our history (Kariya, Arnott, Dumont) have had to call us.

But maybe we'll see a new Poile? I'm not banking on it.

But I do think a guy like Staalberg would welcome the opportunity to play more meaningful minutes. Possibly Horton too, though he's playing decent minutes it's 6th-ish on the forward depth chart. I don't think paying them 4m (Staalberg) / 5m (Horton) would be much overpayment.

What are our other options? Other than seeing SK laze it up all year again-- which is unfortunately the most likely scenario.

Last edited by dulzhok: 05-12-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old
05-13-2013, 09:00 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
I really think the biggest mistake Poile made was signing SK to a two year deal. I just think he totally didnt give a crap this year because he knew he was still under contract. I expect that since he's going to be playing for money next year he will turn it up a notch. He strikes me as really mercenary, and so if he wants another good deal, either here or elsewhere, he's gonna need to score at least 20.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I really think the biggest mistake Poile made was signing SK to a two year deal. I just think he totally didnt give a crap this year because he knew he was still under contract. I expect that since he's going to be playing for money next year he will turn it up a notch. He strikes me as really mercenary, and so if he wants another good deal, either here or elsewhere, he's gonna need to score at least 20.
Your post suggests he cares about money. I don't think Lazy K gives a damn about anything, including money.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:57 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Your post suggests he cares about money. I don't think Lazy K gives a damn about anything, including money.
I think he does, which is why we saw effort from him the first year he was here (he was about to wash out of the NHL) and then in 11-12 he was again playing for a contract. this was the first year his financial future wasnt on the line.

Even if he plans on going to the KHL no matter what, he still needs some good numbers to make sure he gets a payday next summer.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:12 AM
AintLifeGrand

Victor Stalberg at $4.0 mil per season is lunacy. Wouldn't pay more than 2 mil for that guy

Closed Thread