HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers at Caps Game 5 7:30 at Verizon Center

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2013, 03:20 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I really hope we see a different PP tonight. Because the Rags have figured out how to PK. Shadow Ovi, don't give Green a lane.

Adjustments are key for this game.
I'd like to see Ribs as the guy way down low, not nicky. Ribs is not a credible threat to shoot right now, not from way up high anyway. Rags are sagging way off from him and not worrying about any shot fakes. Plus, as we have seen during season (e.g. Ovie's most recent hat trick game), Ribs knows how to dish from down low just as well as anyone else.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:23 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
I'd like to see Ribs as the guy way down low, not nicky. Ribs is not a credible threat to shoot right now, not from way up high anyway. Rags are sagging way off from him and not worrying about any shot fakes. Plus, as we have seen during season (e.g. Ovie's most recent hat trick game), Ribs knows how to dish from down low just as well as anyone else.
Backstrom isn't a shooting threat either.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:28 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
i disagree. i think he shoots significantly harder than Ribs. he had quick release and good velocity on his shot from the high slot in 3rd period of Game 4, IMO. And then there was his ripper during the comeback win over Montreal a few years back. In the same way that Ovie's passing game is often overlooked, i think 19 is underestimated as a shooter. Which is partly his own fault, of course, since he always looks to pass first. But when he does let it go, i think he can bring it.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:30 PM
bags92

Quote:
While that's true, he's more of a threat than Ribeiro. And as previously stated Ribeiro has looked real good finding Ovi across the ice from that spot down low.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:32 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
I think Ovechkin, Brouwer, and Green need to work on coordinating their movement away from the puck on the PP. Puck goes low, Ovechkin goes low, if the shadow follows him, Brouwer slides over, if the defenseman drops, Green slides over. Find that open man. It's not always Backstrom. And even if it is, Backstrom knows how to cut to the net and shoot.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:36 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

If we have an opportunity for a 6v4 again I'd like to see Carlson in Rib's spot. If they want to lock Green/Ovi off and dare Carlson to shoot, I like our chances.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:40 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I think Ovechkin, Brouwer, and Green need to work on coordinating their movement away from the puck on the PP. Puck goes low, Ovechkin goes low, if the shadow follows him, Brouwer slides over, if the defenseman drops, Green slides over. Find that open man. It's not always Backstrom. And even if it is, Backstrom knows how to cut to the net and shoot.
This

Old
05-10-2013, 03:41 PM
OVs Gold Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
If we have an opportunity for a 6v4 again I'd like to see Carlson in Rib's spot. If they want to lock Green/Ovi off and dare Carlson to shoot, I like our chances.
I'd like to see this, although you are giving up Ribs' puck control and ability to skate around defenders and create space.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:42 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
This too.

And oh yeah, if you have a 6'4" man-child on your bench, stick him in front of the net and tell him to stay there. See what happens.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:42 PM
gamedotdll

edit: sold them offsite

Last edited by gamedotdll: 05-10-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old
05-10-2013, 03:44 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Speaking of a man-child, remember the year Scott Stevens scored a bunch of PP goals for us? That was fun.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
I have been keeping an eye on StubHub all day planning to grab a ticket at the end, but they never really had the last minute dip they typically do (snagged a ticket for ~$45 to Game 1). Likely not going to pay ~$85 for a ticket to tonight's contest. Good luck guys though.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:08 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I have yet to see this kind of movement on the PP. Positionally they are pretty static, by design is my guess. I don't think we can expect that type of movement for the first ttime all year in game 5 of the playoffs.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:29 PM
BrandonL

Hey guys,

Any update on Erat? I know he's not playing tonight, but I'm really hoping that was just a bad sprain and not a broken wrist.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
I have been keeping an eye on StubHub all day planning to grab a ticket at the end, but they never really had the last minute dip they typically do (snagged a ticket for ~$45 to Game 1). Likely not going to pay ~$85 for a ticket to tonight's contest. Good luck guys though.
And my willpower is weak; bought a ticket for $90 (~$8 above face). Go bandwagon!

Old
05-10-2013, 04:31 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

6-1 Rags.

Rags 5/22 on the PP.

Caps 0/1.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:33 PM
txpd

ribeiro is enough of a shooting threat that callahan totally bit on his fake and set up green's g2 winner. so....

Old
05-10-2013, 04:36 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
i disagree. i think he shoots significantly harder than Ribs. he had quick release and good velocity on his shot from the high slot in 3rd period of Game 4, IMO. And then there was his ripper during the comeback win over Montreal a few years back. In the same way that Ovie's passing game is often overlooked, i think 19 is underestimated as a shooter. Which is partly his own fault, of course, since he always looks to pass first. But when he does let it go, i think he can bring it.
Just because he can shoot, doesn't mean he does.

I would like to see Green and Backstrom passing the puck up high and including Ovechkin, passing to Ribeiro, Ovechkin collapsing and Green passing to Backstrom for one timers.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:37 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
6-1 Rags.

Rags 5/22 on the PP.

Caps 0/1.
3 of the Rangers goals also come on extended 5 on 3's.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:38 PM
txpd

Quote:
This too.

And oh yeah, if you have a 6'4" man-child on your bench, stick him in front of the net and tell him to stay there. See what happens.
the way the caps pp works basically is they make the pk choose between stopping the caps perimeter shooting from green and ovechkin or stop slot shot from brouwer. both ribeiro and backstrom are capable of setting the table for brouwer to shoot straight off the pass or to cross ice shootable passes for ovechkin.

if you take the brouwer position and turn him into a pure screener, the pk's options are easier. they will just take 8 and 52 away and take their chances with the two pass first players to beat them with the shot.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:41 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera 2m
Oates “worried about our start”. Said #Caps start to the game was key difference in Games 3 and 4.
asdf

Old
05-10-2013, 04:44 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ribeiro is enough of a shooting threat that callahan totally bit on his fake and set up green's g2 winner. so....
That was poor scouting on his part. I think someone went back and looked, and Riberio had taken like 2 or 3 slappers all year on the PP.

And I think after all the publicity that play got, the Rags PK wised up and hence their change to a more passive setup.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:49 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Yes. And then NYR made the adjustment. It was a very obvious change in games 3 and 4. They are not defending against a Ribs shot from up high. That's why we are suggesting the counter-adjustment.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:50 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
He maybe injured. Was going really fast down the left wing 7 minutes in during Game 3 on the PP and Stralman hip checked him along the boards...
Good point. I remember him getting up slow, and thinking uh oh.

But after what he did at the beginning of this and last year, I am not making excuses for him. Just as possible that he was being a baby after the stupid penalty calls.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:59 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
the way the caps pp works basically is they make the pk choose between stopping the caps perimeter shooting from green and ovechkin or stop slot shot from brouwer.

if you take the brouwer position and turn him into a pure screener, the pk's options are easier. they will just take 8 and 52 away
Yeah. The problem is, Brouwer isn't potting that shot lately, and the Caps' previously scorching PP has looked mediocre of late. That's why we were brainstorming these adjustments. Under the theory that PP needs improvement.

Anyway, you could also use the Man Child Screen on the 2nd unit, too. Yes, we haven't tried it much since early in the season, but the flip side is also that the NYR PK isn't dialed in on it.

Honestly I don't expect Oates to make any of these changes. I think PP success is a recent enough memory that he won't change the template.

Closed Thread