HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official FC Edmonton 2013 NASL Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
I saw plenty of walk ups buying tickets on Sunday at Clarke. I called ahead and asked about game day tickets, and I still bought 3 seats side by side on Sunday morning with no problems.

The on field product was great and features a local homegrown player (Saiko) who is actually a pretty nifty player. Also several other players were called out by nick names from the loud crowd so the supporters are taking to the team.

The team also saluted and applauded the crowd after the game and acknowledged the support which was classy. Admittedly I never have been to a game at foote, but I appreciate the Clarke venue. It was sawmill catered and like the other fella said, had actual facilities which is great because I had my 5mo daughter and a diaper change isn't impossible.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:30 PM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
Replacement, while I will agree with you on a number of points (the club/FO does make mistake after mistake, they have over promised and under delivered on the new stands at Clarke, marketing of the club has been non-existent), you are completely wrong about the game day experience at Clarke.

Clarke, while it is a dump, is a much, much more enjoyable venue to watch football than Foote. If you actually go to a match at Clarke, the atmosphere is exponentially better, the sightlines are better, and you don't have to piss in a port-a-potty. Come out to a match and please explain how the game day experience is better at Foote. Iíll take 1,500 rammed into 1 small stand vs 1,500 scattered in a 3,500 seat stadium, with one stand miles from the pitch.

In regards to the stated attendance of 992, that had to have been incorrect. The stands were just as full as any match last year, which had much higher stated attendance. I can attest to this, due to the fact that nobody bothered to check my ticket upon entry (another FO blunder).

The on field product is much better this year as well. Roster turnover is annoying, I agree, however Colin Miller knows what he is doing and dropped some dead weight, although the loss and treatment of Paul Hamilton was unfortunate. The squad took it to the Whitecaps last Wednesday and looked decent on Sunday afternoon.

I am probably the most critical member of the Edmonton Supporters Group, however, give the team a (another) shot before you write it off.
Thank you for your response to someone who just needs to complain. I've never seen anything positive come out of his posts.

Last years roster was a disaster given how much was put into it last year, especially with the long push to have Dutch-style football come in play. Losing Hamilton hurt, but the roster needed to be overhauled.

I was one who was against going the Clarke but more so because of the idea that the team needed to keep up the attendance numbers from the previous season, especially with Montreal now gone. Moving to Clarke when the job was completed would've been a better option, but the contingency wasn't in place (even though the turf at Foote was problematic).

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I watched a few games at Foote from a streaming source and it seemed like the ball was verrrrrrrrry active, bouncing everywhere. Seemed tough to put passes together.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleG View Post
Thank you for your response to someone who just needs to complain. I've never seen anything positive come out of his posts.

Last years roster was a disaster given how much was put into it last year, especially with the long push to have Dutch-style football come in play. Losing Hamilton hurt, but the roster needed to be overhauled.

I was one who was against going the Clarke but more so because of the idea that the team needed to keep up the attendance numbers from the previous season, especially with Montreal now gone. Moving to Clarke when the job was completed would've been a better option, but the contingency wasn't in place (even though the turf at Foote was problematic).
For one thing bs. You can check any of the previous editions of this FC Edmonton thread and I've been an ardent positive supporter of the club and encouraged people to come out. To be clear I didn't like last years style of play much either. I did mention the team changed personnel who I did like from the inaugural years.

That said I can't stand Clarke park, simple as that, a lot of people apparently agree.

One association I don't want to remember is Clarke park is where Edmonton soccer clubs go to die. That history being invoked by the Brickmen, Aviaters, even Drillers afairc.

Move a team there and watch it fold. Most people don't like that hovel. Not hard to figure out. Its a two bit facility and the home of high school football. Its sad that with better facilities out there that this is where the team decides to play. Embarrassing really for Edmonton to be viewed in this light.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

You don't see the irony in saying with one breath you want to club to be supported and stick around, but with the next saying you refuse to support them at Clarke?

Oooooookay.

BACK ON TOPIC

See you guys on May 12th.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
You don't see the irony in saying with one breath you want to club to be supported and stick around, but with the next saying you refuse to support them at Clarke?

Oooooookay.

BACK ON TOPIC

See you guys on May 12th.
You don't see the irony of calling out someone that has been a supporter since day one when you just discovered the product? In fact in past years I was telling you and others to go to this and support this team. I even remember some exchanges.

I never said I refused supporting them at Clarke. I am stating I don't enjoy that facility at all, have been turned away from that facility, and have bad memories of supporting past incarnations of Edmonton pro soccer teams in that facility.

Superstitious? Maybe, but Clarke park has been a graveyard for Edmonton pro soccer teams. Bad memories as I state.

I am disgusted that yet another club is making all the same mistakes in this market. Its unfortunate how this has been run.

Want an example of incompetence?

Try to buy tickets online.

You get "best available" that are not that at all but that are just the tickets on sale in numerical order at that moment. With no accompanying diagram of the seating chart to go with it. With no available diagram of Clarke park seating available anywhere on the internet and certainly not on the site. On FC Edmonton site go to "Clarke park" site and it links back to FC Edmonton. There is no Clarke Park site and no info of any kind on the seating layout. Fail.

Wanna know why I consider the above ridiculous? The Fath's made the same mistake while at Foote field with not offering any diagrams of the seating there. Something I brought to their direct attention immediately, notified them, and which they rectified at the time. Now they're making the same mistake elsewhere out of sheer laziness. When people buy tickets they like to know where their seats are actually located. This is no mystery, its not rocket science, just common sense. But its symbolic of how this org is run.

I used to offer constuctive feedback to this org and they would likely know who I am. I've stopped doing that because they just can't be bothered.

Last edited by Replacement: 04-30-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old
04-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I just went to my first game, but I've been following the team on twitter and on the score sheet.
I also have Edmonton FC merch.
So no, I didn't "just discover'" the team but thanks.

I don't know why you've had such trouble with tickets at Clarke. I bought 3 side by side tickets on game day for myself, my wife, and our friend. We brought our kids (5mo and 17mo) and had a great afternoon. There were multiple people in line buying tickets when we got to the game.

One thing I will give you, several people were confused about seating and I was even approached about it. The team had several reps/ushers to help out with that though and nobody I could see was turned away. Also not sure if this is old news but apparently the team is working to get an 8,000 seat stadium dedicated to the soccer/the team - so that would probably mean real grass and no football lines.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I just went to my first game, but I've been following the team on twitter and on the score sheet.
I also have Edmonton FC merch.
So no, I didn't "just discover'" the team but thanks.

I don't know why you've had such trouble with tickets at Clarke. I bought 3 side by side tickets on game day for myself, my wife, and our friend. We brought our kids (5mo and 17mo) and had a great afternoon. There were multiple people in line buying tickets when we got to the game.

One thing I will give you, several people were confused about seating and I was even approached about it. The team had several reps/ushers to help out with that though and nobody I could see was turned away. Also not sure if this is old news but apparently the team is working to get an 8,000 seat stadium dedicated to the soccer/the team - so that would probably mean real grass and no football lines.
So after the experience of buying tickets to one April game in which its bad weather you are the authority on this topic? Try buying tickets to games in June, July, August close to those home dates. Then get back to me.

Maybe before calling me out as clueless note that several of the games last year the stands were sold out with Standing room on the field being all that was available if anything. Watching soccer from ground level and trying to figure out what is going on on the pitch 100yds away is not viable. Its a non starter. So a few games I wanted to go last season were sold out and so I didn't go. One I actually went to was sold out.

Clearly you can see it being a problem that the team is turning back fans that wanted to go to see the product in its stubborn determination to play at Clarke.

Again why not the much superior Foote field that already HAS the seating that the team is currently erecting in Clarke park?

Makes a lot of sense hey?

One more time because I asked at FC Edmonton and never got a reply. When are the new bleachers available? Anytime this season?

Old
04-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

It may have been a windy April afternoon but the stands were still packed. Full house.
Anyway, don't care to argue about the venue, this thread is supposed to be to support the team.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:42 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

The stands were not put up last season cause of issues with the city. They do have the stands and will be put up for the May 12th game.

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:01 PM
stevieeatworld

New stands currently being built @ Clarke

stevieeatworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:20 PM
stevieeatworld

Seats are ready for sunday!

The game will also be broadcasted nation wide on The Score

Replacement, I urge you to give Clarke another chance!

Old
05-12-2013, 10:21 PM
chrisj

I went today for the first time. Very much enjoyed the game. The new seats are great and give an amazing view of the field.

I'll be back again for a 2nd game for sure.

There were some issues - lots of people were looking to buy water, but it didn't see like you could find it anywhere?

It also looks like they're building some bleachers a little south of the field... I do wonder why though?

I dislike the football lines as well....

chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Six in O6

I caught games in their first NASL season @ Foote and last year at Clarke. Looking forward to catching some games later this year with the new stands. They got a big win last night, hopefully they can keep up the momentum.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieeatworld View Post
Seats are ready for sunday!

The game will also be broadcasted nation wide on The Score

Replacement, I urge you to give Clarke another chance!
I had too much work to do and couldn't make it out. Looks good though. I watched a bit of the game on the Score.

Does look like a stronger side though. I think its important that they have games on TV as it allows viewers to develop a connection with players and product. I didn't like that almost all the players are new but theres some good additions I see.

Also note that as soon as I complained about the lack of Clarke Stadium seating map(to buy tickets) one was developed. lol.

I'll try for the next game.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:14 PM
stevieeatworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I had too much work to do and couldn't make it out. Looks good though. I watched a bit of the game on the Score.

Does look like a stronger side though. I think its important that they have games on TV as it allows viewers to develop a connection with players and product. I didn't like that almost all the players are new but theres some good additions I see.

Also note that as soon as I complained about the lack of Clarke Stadium seating map(to buy tickets) one was developed. lol.

I'll try for the next game.
Yeah, I was very skeptical with Miller, especially since he let go of some fan favorites. but after watching a few games I am convinced this team is the best team we have produced yet! I plan on driving up for Paul Hamilton's return on the 16th.
Also, Colin miller will be coaching the Canadian National Team when we play the friendly against Costa Rica on the 28th at Commonwealth Stadium.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:56 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I went today for the first time. Very much enjoyed the game. The new seats are great and give an amazing view of the field.

I'll be back again for a 2nd game for sure.

There were some issues - lots of people were looking to buy water, but it didn't see like you could find it anywhere?

It also looks like they're building some bleachers a little south of the field... I do wonder why though?

I dislike the football lines as well....
Glad you enjoyed the game

They sold out of water actually. I tried to get some during the second half and no luck. It was a pretty hot day out. they need to understand that not everyone drinks beer

Not sure about the other bleachers myself, but I am assuming that more is still being put together.

I really wish they would do something about the grid lines...

Old
05-23-2013, 11:22 AM
stevieeatworld

After a bi-week, FC Edmonton returns home to Clarke on Sunday vs Fort Lauderdale Strikers, who currently sit in last place. Lets try and fill the new stands at Clarke!

They have launched a new ticket purchasing system where you can actually pick your seats and see what seats are all taken.

Check it out here
Just click on the section of the stadium in the seating chart to view available seats.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:18 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Beat me to it

And if any of you want to join in on the atmosphere and don't mind standing, come to the ESG section. We don't bite

Old
05-24-2013, 08:35 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieeatworld View Post
After a bi-week, FC Edmonton returns home to Clarke on Sunday vs Fort Lauderdale Strikers, who currently sit in last place. Lets try and fill the new stands at Clarke!

They have launched a new ticket purchasing system where you can actually pick your seats and see what seats are all taken.

Check it out here
Just click on the section of the stadium in the seating chart to view available seats.
I am not a fan of watching soccer on tv, never been to anything live since the drillers, but I think I'm going to try make it out to this one. Time to start enjoying more outside events in this city in our short summer.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:50 PM
stevieeatworld

Well tomorrows game is on the road but you can still have a blast watching it if you want to swing by the Pint off Whyte. The viewing partys are set up in the back and everyone is welcoming and just out to cheer on The Eddies with other footy fans!

Old
06-16-2013, 10:09 AM
stevieeatworld

Well today is a big one. FC Edmonton vs Carolina Railhawks at Clarke stadium and the return of fan favorite Paul Hamilton. Kick off is at 2pm and the club is reporting the Clarke is nearly sold out. If you don't plan on catching the game at Clarke, you can watch it live on The Score. COME ON YOU EDDIES!!!

Old
06-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Trizent

I'm watching on the Score. There are more empty seats than people. Easily.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:11 PM
capta

Send a message via ICQ to capta
Can someone explain the Schedule to me? After June 30th's Game they don't play until August?!

capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:52 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
I'm watching on the Score. There are more empty seats than people. Easily.
There were lots of people sitting on the other side of the stadium. I'm sure there would have been way more people if it wasn't for the chances of rain, which never happened during the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Can someone explain the Schedule to me? After June 30th's Game they don't play until August?!
The season is split up into 2 legs. The team that finishes 1st in the first leg which is between March till June will have a spot in the NASL soccer bowl final & have home field advantage. There is a month break after that before the 2nd leg begins, and the winner of that (August till October) will face the team that finished first in the first leg for the soccer bowl championship.
I personally don't agree with this system that was just introduced this season cause a team can finished first in the first leg then completely tank the second leg not giving a rats ass, yet can still win the league title. Would prefer if they all can compete all season and have a playoff like how it was before.

BTW I like your avatar. I'm a Chelsea fan myself