HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part 17: What does "bold" mean?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2013, 02:03 PM
  #151
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,288
vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Obviously Berglund.

But what makes the organization stronger...adding a top-end(borderline elite) prospect, Nurse, to the pipeline who you have 7+ years of contractual control of and has the potential to be better than anything on your current roster or a minimum of two years of Berglund who is only arguably better than the 5th or 6th best forward you already have in place?

Or swap in Monahan/Nischushkin...two guys who could be as good as Berglund now, but with 7-9 years of contractual control.
Pretty narrow choices...
Here's another...In those 3 years while waiting for that draft pick we could also be bottom feeders again, by which the current crop of young stars become disenchanted with the organization and want to leave..

Lots of things can happen with or without the pick. We've been bottom for enough years. Make use of the asset and get a player(s) to help now...If that isn't available, fine, take what's left in the draft..

Oilfan2 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:06 PM
  #152
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,288
vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkanen View Post
So no chance we pick at 7 and keep him?
Yeah, could have split in enough to get a 1% for taking the pick...

Oilfan2 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:08 PM
  #153
stoff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Eakin and Dillon.

What would it take?

Gotta remember Eakin was part of the Ribeiro deal.
I think too much. Ive read Dallas wants to trade some vet d men to make room for some of their youngsters. I woul rather go after Trevor Daley. Can play all situations, has a reasonable cap hit, and wouldn't cost as much as Dillon.

stoff is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:12 PM
  #154
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,991
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Eakin and Dillon.

What would it take?

Gotta remember Eakin was part of the Ribeiro deal.
I can't see them dealing either guy to be honest.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:17 PM
  #155
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,991
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
I think too much. Ive read Dallas wants to trade some vet d men to make room for some of their youngsters. I woul rather go after Trevor Daley. Can play all situations, has a reasonable cap hit, and wouldn't cost as much as Dillon.
It will be interesting to see what type of approach Nil goes with. Does he make instant changes or does he do what Jarmo did and just make minor ones off the start?

I guess the other issue which pretty much is the biggest factor is ownership. I'm not sure that ownership what type of payroll they are going to give Nil.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:23 PM
  #156
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,143
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Obviously Berglund.

But what makes the organization stronger...adding a top-end(borderline elite) prospect, Nurse, to the pipeline who you have 7+ years of contractual control of and has the potential to be better than anything on your current roster or a minimum of two years of Berglund who is only arguably better than the 5th or 6th best forward you already have in place?

Or swap in Monahan/Nischushkin...two guys who could be as good as Berglund now, but with 7-9 years of contractual control.
The problem is that Nurse isn't even the best prospect available at 7 and lots of write ups support my opinion including Bob Mackenzie so calling him elite is misleading. Some people in here obviously aren't watching the St. Louis series and haven't seen a lot of Berglund. Other then his face offs which are average he's exactly what you'd want in a 2nd line centerman and would really give us some nice center depth if he played on the 3rd line. For the guys using stats you need to look very in depth. Things like number of defensive zone start, quality of competition, etc would prove a lot more about his defensive awareness then simply looking at his GA/60. Make no mistake about it Berglund wouldn't even be available if it wasn't for his RFA status and the Blues internal cap structure, even given that I could see the Blues turning down this deal. Also him being an RFA is a bonus for us as we could work out a deal that had him sign a reasonable contract for 5-6 years before we made the trade.


Last edited by raab: 05-10-2013 at 02:41 PM.
raab is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:25 PM
  #157
stoff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It will be interesting to see what type of approach Nil goes with. Does he make instant changes or does he do what Jarmo did and just make minor ones off the start?

I guess the other issue which pretty much is the biggest factor is ownership. I'm not sure that ownership what type of payroll they are going to give Nil.
Nill is interesting to me. He has turned down numerous interview request from good teams, dropped out of the Montreal job after it appeared they were going to give him the job an then out of nowhere takes a low profile job with the stars.

We've got to assume there is a reason he chose Dallas above other teams. I wouldn't be surprised if they open their budget a little bit, otherwise I'm perplexed as to why he chose Dallas.

stoff is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:25 PM
  #158
MinnesotaFats
Registered User
 
MinnesotaFats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,942
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Obviously Berglund.

But what makes the organization stronger...adding a top-end(borderline elite) prospect, Nurse, to the pipeline who you have 7+ years of contractual control of and has the potential to be better than anything on your current roster or a minimum of two years of Berglund who is only arguably better than the 5th or 6th best forward you already have in place?

Or swap in Monahan/Nischushkin...two guys who could be as good as Berglund now, but with 7-9 years of contractual control.
Lets start from a point I think we can both agree is true, and not debatable: MacT's mandate is to make this team better immediately, and likely to make the playoffs next year.

If he keeps the pick, he has to improve the team through some combo of trades and UFA acquisitions (the addition of a 7th round pick to the roster next year, or anyone from the farm is not going to achieve the goal identified above). Given that the UFA market is thin and competition will be fierce for that talent, keeping the pick means MacT is likely looking at trades to improve the team which means dealing roster players and prospects to improve the team. We've been stockpiling young talent on the roster and in the system for a few years now. The hole that MacT is going to have to create in our system by dealing prospects and young roster players is going to be a lot greater than the hole created by dealing the 7th OA pick.

I'd argue that dealing the pick makes us stronger next year through the addition of NHL ready talent, and it makes us stronger down the road as well because MacT won't have to deal as many prospects and young players to fill the holes that need to be addressed to be competitive next year.

If I was in MacT's shoes, I'd be looking at the best ways to add while subtracting as little as possible. Trade the 7th OA pick and offersheet somebody. If you're successful, you could add 2 NHL bodies while giving up nothing but picks and maybe a another body that you need to add to 7th OA. With all the high end talent we have upfront now, and the defensive propsects we have in the pipeline, I have no problem giving up first round picks for the next few years.

MinnesotaFats is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:36 PM
  #159
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,991
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Nill is interesting to me. He has turned down numerous interview request from good teams, dropped out of the Montreal job after it appeared they were going to give him the job an then out of nowhere takes a low profile job with the stars.

We've got to assume there is a reason he chose Dallas above other teams. I wouldn't be surprised if they open their budget a little bit, otherwise I'm perplexed as to why he chose Dallas.
I wonder if part of it now is the Wings aren't looking as golden as they once did. It could be a lot of things though that we don't know about such as family.

Maybe he likes the fact that they have Campbell, Oleksiak and Faska as the last 3 first rounders? Along with some very good young players in Benn/Eriksson and some other younger guys like Eakin and Dillion.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 02:48 PM
  #160
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,143
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I wonder if part of it now is the Wings aren't looking as golden as they once did. It could be a lot of things though that we don't know about such as family.

Maybe he likes the fact that they have Campbell, Oleksiak and Faska as the last 3 first rounders? Along with some very good young players in Benn/Eriksson and some other younger guys like Eakin and Dillion.
His wife has terminal cancer. She probably was in a bad state when he dropped out of the Montreal position.

raab is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 03:14 PM
  #161
czar99
Registered User
 
czar99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shultz'z Place
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkanen View Post
I doubt Monhan/Lindholm , in an especially deep draft, share the same projection as Berglund did in his draft year where he was drafted 25th overall. Don't get wrong I think Berglund is a fine player and I would love have to him but not at the cost of 7th overall. Berglund is big, has a good shot, goes to the net and is sound defensively but I think he is ideally a 3rd line center (which he currently is) for what he brings.
I don't think trading a 3rd line Center for the 7th overall pick is a fair trade for us.
Wow! I'd ever feel dumb I thought you guy were debating if Berglund was worth a 7th round pick. I was like where is all the and . Then I read 7th over all pick!

czar99 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 03:51 PM
  #162
backhandsauce
Registered User
 
backhandsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
His wife has terminal cancer. She probably was in a bad state when he dropped out of the Montreal position.
And the fact that Dallas is a sweet city! Nice weather and great steak houses!

backhandsauce is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 04:01 PM
  #163
stoff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
His wife has terminal cancer. She probably was in a bad state when he dropped out of the Montreal position.
I did not realize that. Makes sense. Anyways Dallas has a lot of nices pieces I think they need some depth among their forwards and they should be a playoff team. Hopefully they expand the budget then I can see Nill having a great impact.

stoff is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 04:21 PM
  #164
hossy316
Registered User
 
hossy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kensington, PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,225
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to hossy316
I want two guys this summer.

Lindy Ruff

Ryan Miller

If anyone thinks that Dubby is a guy that'll lead us through a deep playoff run, I have to disagree. Just don't see him being "the guy" after watching the playoffs thus far. Let's go get a bonefide # 1 guy in Miller and go from there.

hossy316 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 04:36 PM
  #165
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossy316 View Post
I want two guys this summer.

Lindy Ruff

Ryan Miller

If anyone thinks that Dubby is a guy that'll lead us through a deep playoff run, I have to disagree. Just don't see him being "the guy" after watching the playoffs thus far. Let's go get a bonefide # 1 guy in Miller and go from there.
Miller wont come cheap. Think Klefbom+. No thinks for a guy who has been very average for 3 years straight and is mentally fragile and not a great teammate.

nabob is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 04:36 PM
  #166
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,043
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossy316 View Post
I want two guys this summer.

Lindy Ruff

Ryan Miller

If anyone thinks that Dubby is a guy that'll lead us through a deep playoff run, I have to disagree. Just don't see him being "the guy" after watching the playoffs thus far. Let's go get a bonefide # 1 guy in Miller and go from there.
**** no to either. Have you seen how Ruff has handled Eberle and Hall at the WC's? Miller will cost too much and is on the down swing of his career.

Joey Moss is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 05:30 PM
  #167
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
**** no to either. Have you seen how Ruff has handled Eberle and Hall at the WC's? Miller will cost too much and is on the down swing of his career.
I agree. Also, Dubnyk is far from the problem on this team. Sure, of you could get a Lundqvist you do it but I'd rather use our assets to fix our terrible defence. Very few teams in the playoffs have elite goaltenders. I'd rather focus on the Chicago model.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 06:23 PM
  #168
jeetz
Registered User
 
jeetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Keep the 7th pick. Move up if possible but never move down. Your odds of getting a NHLer drops pretty significantly each pick. Teams have to have a quality player feeder system o matter what your roster is.

We do need a guy who can play #1 center for the next 3 years. Shelter RNH and let him develop right. I don't know who though. Even a 30-31 year old established #1 centerman with a defensive concience to play with Hall and Yak.

Obviously a top pairing dman. Definitely a priority and the Oil should be willing to pay in spades. I would consider Eberle as a player to move for the right guy back

And grit. Here is where you look at the UFA market and be willig to over pay. I'll take 2 please.

jeetz is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 06:31 PM
  #169
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,408
vCash: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossy316 View Post
I want two guys this summer.

Lindy Ruff

Ryan Miller

If anyone thinks that Dubby is a guy that'll lead us through a deep playoff run, I have to disagree. Just don't see him being "the guy" after watching the playoffs thus far. Let's go get a bonefide # 1 guy in Miller and go from there.
so you want to fire a 4th coach in 6 years?

sorry-- Give Krugar one more year and sees what happens. Quinn was given one year, Renney was given two year-- we just can not keep firing coaches. Makes the organization look more unprofessional than it already is

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 06:44 PM
  #170
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,836
vCash: 50
It will be interesting to see what the Oilers do for their backup in net next season. The strong rumours were that they were fishing for Bishop.. so you've got to think they would like someone a little better than just a filler to back up Dubnyk.

They likely want someone who is relatively young to push Dubby and basically play a co-starter type role rather than a 35+ vet to just sub in 20-25 games per year.

Who is out there on the market that would fill that role and what would the cost be?

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 07:02 PM
  #171
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
It will be interesting to see what the Oilers do for their backup in net next season. The strong rumours were that they were fishing for Bishop.. so you've got to think they would like someone a little better than just a filler to back up Dubnyk.

They likely want someone who is relatively young to push Dubby and basically play a co-starter type role rather than a 35+ vet to just sub in 20-25 games per year.

Who is out there on the market that would fill that role and what would the cost be?
Khudobin?

frag2 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 07:13 PM
  #172
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Khudobin?
He's my pick right now.

The other candidates are all injury/attitude issue guys (Emery, Thomas) or they aren't good enough for my liking. (LaBarbera)

I know he's small, but Buffalo picking up Hackett probably means Enroth is available too.

Paralyzer008 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 08:26 PM
  #173
Bergeron47
Registered User
 
Bergeron47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,582
vCash: 500
Khudobin makes sense. Bruins have 2 other young goalie stud prospects to fill the void.

Bergeron47 is online now  
Old
05-10-2013, 10:29 PM
  #174
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,592
vCash: 500
I think Thomas Greiss is a guy going under the radar in the back-up goalie market.

Has put up some good numbers in San Jose and is still just entering his prime.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
05-10-2013, 11:16 PM
  #175
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec
 
nofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,907
vCash: 500
What would you offer Khubodin in free agency? Enroth or Greiss in trade?

Khubodin has posted decent to solid numbers behind a VERY good NHL defence. God knows what the adjustment rating is for the Oilers, a decent AHL defence.

nofool6110 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.