HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Rolston named head coach (Patrick, Adams fired)

Old
05-09-2013, 07:44 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Guy Boucher is currently unemployed. May not be a bad assistant (or AHL coach if Cassidy is called up).

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:53 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fish View Post
Going out and getting some proven assistants would certainly make keeping Rolston an easier pill to swallow.
With 2 worthy assistants that can benefit the team it makes it a bunch easier if Rolston pans out.

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:22 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Which is another reason this sucks.

The best job this guy could get was in the AHL, where he belongs, and we just hand him the job for being mediocre at best in Rochester and for 2 months here....

You're have to be a moron to spend money on this team as far as merchandise and tickets.
Remember a lot of the same feelings when the Bills hired a coach who was completely out of football for two years following a 5-13 record in the USFL, previously he was a head coach in the CFL and had a mediocre stint as coach of the KC Chiefs that he was fired from. Of course 4 superbowls later now he's in the Hall of Fame, so you never know.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
Remember a lot of the same feelings when the Bills hired a coach who was completely out of football for two years following a 5-13 record in the USFL, previously he was a head coach in the CFL and had a mediocre stint as coach of the KC Chiefs that he was fired from. Of course 4 superbowls later now he's in the Hall of Fame, so you never know.
Congrats on finding one example against many that prove the original statement.

Eichel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:45 PM
archie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
How about some worthwhile trades? What has Darcy done since he's been here? He has to go, we need someone that is way more pro active. Did Lindy have much to work with the past several years?
When Darcy does get fired, everyone will say "Should have done it years ago"

archie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:08 PM
flashsabre

Anyone know how long Larry Robinson signed for in San Jose. You want to talk about the PERFECT guy to have working with the D and mentoring Myers not to mention helping to guide Rolston along. Use some Pegula bucks and make it happen!!!!!

flashsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:51 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
How about 5 guys in the last 10 years or so like Dan Bylsma, Bob Hartley, Ken Hitchcock, Peter Laviolette, and Mike Babcock, all with good junior, minor, or college coaching experience but little to no NHL experience or less than stellar record before they were hired and eventually won Cups.

Last edited by TP: 05-10-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: mod
Old
05-09-2013, 09:58 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
How about 5 guys in the last 10 years or so like Dan Bylsma, Bob Hartley, Ken Hitchcock, Peter Laviolette, and Mike Babcock, all with good junior, minor, or college coaching experience but little to no NHL experience or less than stellar record before they were hired and eventually won Cups.
Hitchcock had 3 years as a NHL assistant before going to the minors as a head coach, and then the Stars head coach.
Peter Laviolette was an assistant in Boston, then head coach for the Isles for 2 years before going to Carolina, making the playoffs both years with the Isles.
Babcock had 2 years with the Ducks before going to Detroit--and made the SC Final in one of those years.

Not disagreeing with your overall point, but just the specific examples you chose.

Last edited by TP: 05-10-2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: mod
New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:09 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Hitchcock had 3 years as a NHL assistant before going to the minors as a head coach, and then the Stars head coach.
Peter Laviolette was an assistant in Boston, then head coach for the Isles for 2 years before going to Carolina, making the playoffs both years with the Isles.
Babcock had 2 years with the Ducks before going to Detroit--and made the SC Final in one of those years.

Not disagreeing with your overall point, but just the specific examples you chose.
I think they're good examples. They were all limited resumes as assistants with no serious HC experience at the NHL level except for Laviolette, and he was fired from the Isles. They didnt have the proven NHL caliber head coaching track record that fans are holding against Rolston, and they all eventually did alright. sometimes you just gotta let a guy do his job and see what happens.

Last edited by zbubble: 05-09-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old
05-10-2013, 07:53 AM
CrankyJay

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyimmark View Post
bucky and bobby mac say adams and patrick fired, teppo staying.
i'm back in, baby!

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:47 AM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker View Post
Anyone know how long Larry Robinson signed for in San Jose. You want to talk about the PERFECT guy to have working with the D and mentoring Myers not to mention helping to guide Rolston along. Use some Pegula bucks and make it happen!!!!!
Not happening. He moved to California to be closer to his grand kids. Plus he doesn't travel often IIRC

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
TBN's take:

Sabres assistants Patrick, Adams out

I remember Patrick when he signed here as a 1-year UFA for the first time. Six times they did that dance, each time for another single season. I'm glad he grew as an assistant under Ruff and his loyalty is commendable. It will be no surprise to see him take his place beside Ruff when Lindy gets his next HC job this summer.

05-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
TBN's take:

Sabres assistants Patrick, Adams out

I remember Patrick when he signed here as a 1-year UFA for the first time. Six times they did that dance, each time for another single season. I'm glad he grew as an assistant under Ruff and his loyalty is commendable. It will be no surprise to see him take his place beside Ruff when Lindy gets his next HC job this summer.
"Sources said neither had a good relationship with Regier..."

Those are some bad sources right there.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:38 PM
archie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
"Sources said neither had a good relationship with Regier..."

Those are some bad sources right there.
Patrick has been in the league since I think 1984, 21 years as a player, then a coach. Very well respected by the players and very knowledgable. Ruff has been in the league for almost 30 years.
They both know a lot more about hockey than Darcy. They NEVER were given the players to win a cup. But whether they are together again or not, one of them will be on the staff of a Stanley Cup winner.... while Darcy will still be in the rebuilding stage.

archie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:46 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie20 View Post
Patrick has been in the league since I think 1984, 21 years as a player, then a coach. Very well respected by the players and very knowledgable. Ruff has been in the league for almost 30 years.
They both know a lot more about hockey than Darcy. They NEVER were given the players to win a cup. But whether they are together again or not, one of them will be on the staff of a Stanley Cup winner.... while Darcy will still be in the rebuilding stage.
aaaand none of that matters.

I had somebody try to make the argument that Fluery was a good goalie "because he won a cup". This is just as stupid. By your logic, most GM's are bad and most coaches are great.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan213 View Post
This is going to be the 1st season in quite a while that will have very little hype going into it.
This is likely also going to be the 1st season since the 1997-98 season kicked off where fan disenchantment with management may be the biggest story/topic - just as it was when Nolan was fired unceremoniously and newbies Regier/Ruff were brought in, the mood over how the entire Pegula/Black/Regier/Rolston context is unfolding doesn't seem to be inspiring any optimism or positive vibes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Teppo hasn't had a shot as a proper assistant coach though has he?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Numminen stays, nice. Always like him as a player, will be interesting to see how he does in a larger role.
Quote:
Is Teppo staying as an assistant or is he staying as a development consultant for the defensemen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
I would have thought Cassidy gets the full time job down in Rochester to be honest. Be interesting to see who he picks.
Quote:
Basically said Regier didn't have a good relationship with Patrick or Adams, but did with Teppo, that's why the first two were fired and Teppo is still on staff.
It may be the deciding factor but I definitely think it was one reason in keeping Numminen - Armia will be coming to North America this fall and having a big adjustment. Whether it's in Rochester or in Buffalo, it's foreseeable that the Sabres want to try to make his adjustment as smooth as possible - and without any other Finns on the roster or organization, having a veteran / hero like Numminen to help oversee Armia (even if more of a "big brother" / mentor rather than skills coach) makes sense. A lot of the talk coming out of Regier and Rolston has been on the importance of teaching the young players the responsibilities and requirements of being a professional - and Numminen's career and history surely help in that regard, especially for a young guy like Armia who probably grew up watching and idolizing Numminen in Finland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
What's this about a power struggle on the Sabre's bench? Patrick's firing was apparently fallout from him being passed over for interim?
Quote:
Nothing in this article says there was a power struggle on the bench or that Patrick was fired because if it. All it says is that he was upset with being passed over.
Paul Hamilton mentioned in an interview on Schopp's program the other day that he had heard reports of Patrick not being involved in some of Rolston's decisions this past season. Combined with probably feeling he paid his dues with the Sabres to earn consideration as Ruff's replacement - and, if he was left out of the loop on some decisions by Rolston, it may very well have led to Patrick arguing with Regier / Rolston on how things were being done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker View Post
Anyone know how long Larry Robinson signed for in San Jose. You want to talk about the PERFECT guy to have working with the D and mentoring Myers not to mention helping to guide Rolston along.
I still think that Robinson was brought in as a contingency plan in case the Sharks go through another playoff implosion / underachieving and McClellan has to be fired. Wilson may have wanted an insurance policy JIC.

Quote:
It will be no surprise to see him take his place beside Ruff when Lindy gets his next HC job this summer.
I think it's all but guaranteed that wherever Ruff goes, Patrick will end up shortly thereafter.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by archie20 View Post
How the hell do you know they know more than Darcy? Darcy is probably more intelligent for one thing, second he has a ******** of experience himself. Guy's been a GM for a long time, questioning whether he knows enough about hockey is ridiculous.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:51 PM
joshjull

Its incredible how much drama has been manufactured out of a nothing move (firing Patrick/Adams).

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its incredible how much drama has been manufactured out of a nothing move (firing Patrick/Adams).
Off-season, nothing else to talk about / complain about until after the draft and finding out how Darcy had an offer for the #1 overall pick but wouldn't add a 2nd rounder to the #8 to move up.

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Even just something that is normal -- it's unusually for an assistant to stay on when the head coach gets canned. The whole staff normally gets shown the door. That's why I'm wondering what Teppo's role will be. Is he going to be a skills coach for defensemen in the organization or is he actually on staff?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:02 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Off-season, nothing else to talk about / complain about until after the draft and finding out how Darcy had an offer for the #1 overall pick but wouldn't add a 2nd rounder to the #8 to move up.
I'm not talking about speculating on their replacements. I'm talking about Bucky going off the deep end and some of the lemmings on here following him.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:22 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
I'm not talking about speculating on their replacements. I'm talking about Bucky going off the deep end and some of the lemmings on here following him.
I think some lemmings enjoy following Bucky, Sullivan, and Harrington is because they usually write negative things about the hockey team. And the lemmings are negative toward the team no matter what the organization does. They love drama in their life, they love drama in their sports teams. They love complaining about every aspect of the team. Nothing is or will ever be good enough to enjoy and like the team. They can't pick out aspects they like AND aspects they hate. Therefore the negative writings of TBN are a match made in heaven for the lemmings. It makes me wonder why they consider themselves fans. I think fans have the ability to enjoy and like aspects of the team/organization AND dislike aspects at the same time. The writers and lemmings seem to lack that ability.

But ... I could be wrong

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Sabresfansince1980

No...you're most definitely right.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Well Darcy could trade Stafford for Crosby and Malkin, and Bucky still wouldn't be happy that he was still the GM. Nothing will be right in Bucky's / Sullivan's or Harrington's world until Darcy is fired and they're given a one on one and unfettered access to Terry's guesthouse and garage.

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:11 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

What are the chances Ott-Porter-Flynn is our top line next year?

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote