Hockey in Britain part 3

Old
04-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Scarecrow Boat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
he would be a perfect player to send to OHA

There's another kid playing U12 for Guildford called Mason Biddulph with 112 points in 15 games
Maybe they're related http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=99085

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
04/25/2013 Craig Peacock (F) Belfast Giants Italy 0
They want him for the national team!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
04/26/2013 Robert Dowd (F) Troja-Ljungby Sheffield Steelers 0
Disappointed to see this, I was hoping he'd keep it going in Sweden. Peacock is listed as rumor & Dowd as doubtful rumor though

Old
04-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

I think it's likely Dowd will stay as Paul Thompson is now the coach of that team, well, assistant coach according to EP

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
I think it's likely Dowd will stay as Paul Thompson is now the coach of that team, well, assistant coach according to EP
According to EP they also already have 11 forwards on that roster

I wish Ben O'Connor would go to that league, it's actually World Championship friendly

Old
04-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
According to EP they also already have 11 forwards on that roster

I wish Ben O'Connor would go to that league, it's actually World Championship friendly
but look at how many they had last year

The Allsvenskan is a proper league so they actually have 4 lines and spares unlike the EIHL

Old
04-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
but look at how many they had last year

The Allsvenskan is a proper league so they actually have 4 lines and spares unlike the EIHL
Well rumors have him leaving

This is that boring time of year when I'm just waiting for the QMJHL/Import/NHL Drafts then the signings (which is usually slow paced and not all that exciting)

Old
04-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
This Friday (May 3) the Hull Arena hosts the traditional Under 19 international between England and Scotland (8pm face off). The event has previosuly been held at the Elite League Finals, but this year has moved to be the curtain raiser to the EIHA Conference Finals Weekend. The Conference tournament will features over 400 players in four age groups from all over the UK.
The DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms’ Dan Lane and Luke Barber are named on the England team, alongside Declan Balmer who was on a 2-way contract with the Phantoms last season. Phantoms Jordan Cownie is named in the Scotland team. Harry Harley, who guested for the Phantoms just before Christmas is also named in the England Team.

ENGLAND (Head Coach Pete Russell, Assistant Coach Ryan Aldridge).
Netminders – Adam Goss (Coventry), Dan Lane (Peterborough).
Defence – Zach Sullivan (Slough), Samuel Godfrey (Slough), Declan Balmer (Solway/Peterborough), Scott Robson (Hull), Jonathan Kirk (Sheffield), Chris Cooke (Guildford), Jordan Gregory (Bracknell), Matt Selby (Coventry).
Forwards – Oliver Betteridge (Swindon), Danny Rose (Telford), Cameron Wynn (Basingstoke), Floyd Taylor (Swindon), Elliott Knell (Sheffield), Harry Harley (Whitley Bay), Sam Towner (Hull), Adam Taylor (Telford), Luke Barber (Peterborough), Miles Dacres (Blackburn), Aidan Doughty (Isle of Wight).
SCOTLAND (Head Coach: Scott Neil, Assistant Coach: Richard Hartman).
Netminders – Kieron Hobbins (Solway), Craig Chalmers (Dundee).
Defence – Matthew Farmer (Fife), Beth Scoon (Fife), Connor Spiers (Solway), James Wallace (Solway), Robbie Hill (Dundee), Daniel Moffat (Dundee), Ryan Thomson (Dundee).
Forwards – Sean Beattie (Edinburgh), Kieran Black (Edinburgh), Liam Riddle (North Ayr), Jordan Cownie (Peterborough), Robin Flloyd (Fife), Josh Leslie (Fife), Grant Youngson (Fife), Blair Campbell (Fife), Calum Henderson (Solway), Joe Coulter (Solway), Jamie Vincent (Dundee), John Gordon (Dundee).
The inclusion of Beth Scoon in the Scotland team marks the first time a girl has played for either side in this fixture. Beth plays her junior hockey in Kirkcaldy, Womens Premier League for Kingston and is a Great Britain U18 and senior international.
Admission to the England v Scotland game is free for all spectators and doors open at 7pm.
The Junior Inter-Conference tournament begins at 7am on Saturday 4 May and continues all weekend, with Finals around 4pm on Bank Holiday Monday. There are teams at U11, U13, U15 and U17 representing the North, Midlands, South East, South West and Scotland.
Never heard of this U19 International before

Old
04-28-2013, 04:33 PM
mattski93
Poo Brain

Send a message via MSN to mattski93 Send a message via Skype™ to mattski93
Quote:
Never heard of this U19 International before
They've usually played it on the Sunday morning of the EIHL finals weekend, but it got shunted this year for the awards and 3rd/4th place match (which is a shame, because it's usually a good game though never as good as the U10s friendly) so they're playing it at the Conference weekend. Generally England are too strong nowadays but the inclusion of Beth Scoon is an interesting one; she's very highly thought of so will be interesting to see how she gets on.

mattski93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

England usually walks it

This years Scotland team has what, 2 GB players? Cownie and Wallace

On a side note they should have kept it at the EIHL finals as the 3/4th game was stupid and pointless and all the players were hanging out of their arses

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 04-28-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Not sure I asked this before but what's the deal with the Latvians in GB U16/U18. Are they born in Latvia, raised in GB?

Old
04-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Not sure I asked this before but what's the deal with the Latvians in GB U16/U18. Are they born in Latvia, raised in GB?
I'm 95% sure most of them weren't born in GB, and aren't citizens either. They're all just kids whose parents moved here for work (Latvia is in the EU of course)

edit: Latvia did not join the EU until 2004 so it is highly unlikely that any of these players were born in GB.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 04-29-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old
05-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Scarecrow Boat

mattski doing detective work?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=167509

So Kieran Brown does have a father who played hockey

Old
05-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Scarecrow Boat

OHA Update

Quote:
OHA 2013 - 14

The Okanagan Hockey Academy UK are delighted to announce their first group of returnees
for next season. Returning for their second season with OHA are Mac Howlett, James Hounsome, Darren Stattersfield, Ben Nethersell, Oliver Stone, Ethan James, Simon Kunin, Arthur Joselowitsch and Harry Gulliver with more names to follow in the next week.

With the first ever season drawing to a close, it is a massive buzz for OHA Head Coach Pete Russell to have so many of the original group returning for their second season. He said, "It's great to have these young athletes in the line-up again for next season. Each and every one of them has developed both on and off the ice in so many ways. They are a true credit to their families and are becoming ambassadors for OHA UK."

Prospects Program Launched

Due to the success of the Okanagan Hockey Academy, we are proud to announce an exciting new Prospects Program for players born in 1997 which focuses on players making the next step.

Hot prospects Luc Johnson and Michael Stratford are both joining this program. The Prospects will be combined with Swindon U18 Cougars and the players will also play in Swindon's ENL 2 side and challenge games with OHA, all designed to help progress successful players into senior hockey.

The program is only for those who are dedicated. As it has a strong emphasis on both on-and-off-ice
activities, participants need total commitment. It's not just ice hockey players we're developing - it's leaders and better citizens too!
Sam Duggan should get in on that Prospect Program, so much hockey/ice time available to guys

Old
05-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

I'm glad most of the same guys are staying next year, that's probably the best for development. We need to produce a few star players not just a lot of mediocre ones.

Sam Duggan is a 98 born so he could join the OHA if he wanted, but I think he'll be fine at Bracknell, he gets games with the 16's and 18's and they will probably let him train with the NIHL Hornets too, possibly the Bees.

- ixcuincle
Old
05-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

I saw on twitter that Ethan James and Ben Nethersell were named to the all star team for their age group at the conference tournament

Meanwhile, on THF...

Quote:
Sorry but my own personal opinion is that it's a very expensive (for the parents) way to come 5th in the league. If over subscribed I would hope for a far superior showing next season. That said doesn't Michael Stratford (OHA's best player) move on this season. Someone I may add is a product of the Swindon junior system, rather than the OHA.
Quote:
This one is a bit of a Catch 22 to me, you come fifth in the league and how do you say you have progressed. Surely if the players are now better, smarter, fitter , stronger then they would come higher than that? Plenty of people say that the standard of Junior hockey is not that good on here, so to come 5th in a league that by many peoples stance isnt to a good standard is no real achievement at all I really like the initiative that the OHA has taken but sadly like most things you have to be able to gauge its success on the progress that it makes. I fully agree that results arent the only thing, I cant stand the approach of having 20 on a bench and playing 12 but those accusations have been levelled at OHA as well. To me its how they progress as players in the longer term, Stratford moving straight into an ENL2 team is hardly a huge achievement is it?, surely they would have been looking for him to make the jump to the EPL team? I love the principle but to me we need 7 or 8 of these sorts of academies before we can see any real progress. OHA on its own comes across as the right idea in the wrong place somehow. Time will tell how they do but lets be honest now, will 5 th place be acceptable next year or are people expecting progress to be made in that department.
Quote:
Can someone please explain the full benefit of the OHA above a child for example going to a good school and training 3 times a week in an established training programme. At the moment from my point a view I see very little. In addition your post seems to imply that people are jealous and somehow try to discredit OHA as they cannot afford t send their child there. I would be amazed if that was the case in all example's. And its more the case that people cannot see the added value to their investment.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Scarecrow Boat

lol it's been 1 season and these guys are already complaining about the program because of their results in a tournament?

There's only like 5 '97 borns on OHA... a U16 team. Both goalies are double underage. 4 other skaters are double underagers. They were 11-7-0 during U16 league play (something like 6th or 7th during the season?), is 5th place really that shocking and is it not progress?

The old saying, Rome wasn't built in a day. Well OHA won't be built in a season. If they recruited a roster of all the top prospects in GB & had a 5th place showing, I'd understand the complaining a bit more lol

Just shows idiots will complain about anything, even if it doesn't really effect them at all.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Not to mention the U16 league was really good this year, I can't remember it ever being so good and competitive. The teams who finished above OHA were all very good teams, as were Slough who finished below them (I actually caught a bit of Slough v OHA and Slough beat them with Ethan James standing on his head)

But even then, the results don't matter

Old
05-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Lots of people in Canada/North America talk down prep school hockey as well. Believe it or not I've heard people talk down Shattuck St. Mary's (If you don't know the school, look at a couple alumni and you'll laugh at the people talking it down lol

A lot of it has to do with people being jealous like one of the quotes you posted said. I remember a guy from my team when I was 14 left for Notre Dame. We always made fun of it but in fairness he was playing on their worst team that never won a game that year Come to think of it, it may have been around the same time Charles Kaylor was there

Old
05-07-2013, 05:25 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Lots of people in Canada/North America talk down prep school hockey as well. Believe it or not I've heard people talk down Shattuck St. Mary's (If you don't know the school, look at a couple alumni and you'll laugh at the people talking it down lol

A lot of it has to do with people being jealous like one of the quotes you posted said. I remember a guy from my team when I was 14 left for Notre Dame. We always made fun of it but in fairness he was playing on their worst team that never won a game that year Come to think of it, it may have been around the same time Charles Kaylor was there
Yeah from the start most of the complaints from them were about the cost and how it is "unfair" to kids whose parents can't afford it, well that's life. In an ideal world we could have what they have in America with the USNTDP but for reasons I've explained numerous times that's not financially or logistically possible given our situation.

Also some news on Oxford, they decided to stay in NIHL2 to continue rebuilding with the aim to go back up to NIHL1 in the future http://www.oxfordstars.co.uk/?q=cont...-201314-season

I particularly liked to hear this part:

Quote:
We believe that the primary contributor that led up to the team folding was that we had become too reliant on external talent, which we also meant that the development of Oxford home-grown talent was being blocked. There must be a balance between providing a pathway for our own talented juniors into the senior team and ensuring that we field a competitive side. This season we believe that we have improved this balance than in seasons past, but know that there is still a great deal of work to be done

Old
05-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Yeah from the start most of the complaints from them were about the cost and how it is "unfair" to kids whose parents can't afford it, well that's life. In an ideal world we could have what they have in America with the USNTDP but for reasons I've explained numerous times that's not financially or logistically possible given our situation.

Also some news on Oxford, they decided to stay in NIHL2 to continue rebuilding with the aim to go back up to NIHL1 in the future http://www.oxfordstars.co.uk/?q=cont...-201314-season

I particularly liked to hear this part:
Same, I'm glad people are getting it. Easy to say it, it's also easy to get frustrated and go back to relying on external resources. Hopefully they stick to it though

Old
05-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Scarecrow Boat

21 rounds of USHL drafting tonight. Hoping to see Conway get picked at some point. Based on his numbers and the clips I've seen he can go to the USHL no problem.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Wow Conway went 7th overall in the USHL draft lol I was not expecting him to go so high

Edit: I guess I can mention he went to the Indiana Ice results can be found here:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/draft_...raft&year=2013

& here:
http://ushl.rinknetcloud.com/draftNoAuto27.htm

Last edited by Scarecrow Boat: 05-07-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old
05-09-2013, 06:01 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Peter Russell named head coach of GB U20's (again)

http://www.icehockeyuk.co.uk/russell...coach--p183637

Old
05-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Peter Russell named head coach of GB U20's (again)

http://www.icehockeyuk.co.uk/russell...coach--p183637
Rightfully so. The best years at U20's were with him as the coach.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Apparently we have applied to host the U20 WJC, in Dumfries to be exact

Edit: yes http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u...08.05.2013.pdf

I would love to go but it's too far

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 05-10-2013 at 06:03 PM.