HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should The Habs Replace MT With Patrick Roy ?

Old
05-10-2013, 05:25 PM
E = CH²

vCash: 500

Holy crap...

We have one of the best season of the past 15 years... almost all young players progressed nicely... let's fire the coach !

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:26 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
So we're starting a new trend where we fire a coach and hire a new one each year?

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:27 PM
LastRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
MT just coached a team to the playoffs in a 48 game schedule, where we stumbled mightily to the finish line and never played anyone from the West. I'm not saying our fortunes never changed this season, but I'm betting an 82 game schedule may not have been pretty.

He didn't impress me in the playoffs, as is the norm with MT. He was outcoached on many instances, and his whiny little pressers didn't do much for the average person either.

Then again, we've seen MT here before, and I'm curious why anyone would think he would be different this time around?
That's pretty much it. It was a 48 game schedule, and I doubt the Habs finish 1st in a full season. MT got smoked in the playoffs. Thats when a coach has to have his thinking cap on. MT dropped his somewhere. A lot of teams have to deal with injuries. I hate using that as an excuse every damn year so it seems.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
This thread is cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

You don't fire a coach that turned a 15th place team into a 2nd place team. He's coached 53 games, how about we give him a full season and see if he can do even better.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:30 PM
LastRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
So we're starting a new trend where we fire a coach and hire a new one each year?
Better than waiting and wasting 6 years like Bob Gainey and finding out he sucked ass as a GM.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Undraft Galchenyuk! Burn the BC to the GROUND....

Exile Subban to Nepean!

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:35 PM
LastRide

Therrien was pretty much our only option for coach at the time. Not like there were some good candidates. There was nobody else to hire but him. It's just my opinion, but I don't see this guy as an all that great of coach. MT has been around since 2000 with no cup, and thats with Crosby and Malkin.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:36 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Therrien was pretty much our only option for coach at the time. MT has been around since 2000 with no cup, and thats with Crosby and Malkin.
I have the same doubts about him, and the whining this week really put me off, but realistically they won't be firing him this quick.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
MT coached the Pen's to the Stanley Cup finals and got fired. We don't have Crosby and Malkin. MT is an "ok" coach nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure MB won't fire him by default because we finished first.

The way some of you guys think. You can't fire a coach for finishing first, and you can't fire a coach because he has a crappy team to work with.
Dude, this is a ridiculous thread. Not only for Roy but for suggesting to fire MT to begin with.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
What about Reggie Dunlop?

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:57 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
Bring back Jacques Martin at least with him we made it further....
i'm sure you are just joking but I'll tell you one thing i don't remember so many 6-1 6-2 loses with jack martin behind the bench, he did some stupid things be defensive play was not one of them at least we were in almost every game

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

If for some weird reason we would want to replace MT, I would go for Boucher instead. But Roy? Come on. He's nothing special as a coach, aside from the fact that he's a big name and he's popular.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Montreal Typical

Roy is a mediocre coach. Why would we want him?

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:06 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Therrien was pretty much our only option for coach at the time. Not like there were some good candidates. There was nobody else to hire but him. It's just my opinion, but I don't see this guy as an all that great of coach. MT has been around since 2000 with no cup, and thats with Crosby and Malkin.
Lindy Ruff has never won a Cup, I guess that makes him a bad coach, right?

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:07 PM
LastRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Dude, this is a ridiculous thread. Not only for Roy but for suggesting to fire MT to begin with.
Better yet, next year lets take another one of those 2 games 6-1 beatings again and 4 games to 1 exit. Plus get our heads kicked in. A lot of times the regular season doesn't mean much. Its the playoffs that count. That is where the true colors show.

I like the fire Roy brings to the Habs. Don't worry MT will still be coaching the Habs next year. Besides we don't have the team to win a cup for atleast 2-3 more years if things go in the right direction. He might as well be the plug behind the bench for the time being. You guys give MT too much credit.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:07 PM
FinnHab

All Therrien haters must admit one thing: he did good job this year.

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:08 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Wanted Roy in the first place... but what the org would look like "sorry MT but Roy has more swag"

CaptainIginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
That's pretty much it. It was a 48 game schedule, and I doubt the Habs finish 1st in a full season. MT got smoked in the playoffs. Thats when a coach has to have his thinking cap on. MT dropped his somewhere. A lot of teams have to deal with injuries. I hate using that as an excuse every damn year so it seems.
That's just silly.
Ya, you can doubt whether or not the Habs would have finished 1st. I seriously doubt you believed, if we go back to before the season, that this was a question you were gonna ask yourself come May.
How did MT get smoked? If Price doesn't crap the bed in game 1, we win. If the refs do their actual job in Game 4, we win. This series could have easily been 3-1 for us, and those aren't things Therrien had the power of changing.
Heck, even quite a few of the Sens players and coach said that we probably deserved a better fate and that Anderson was really the series changer.

You can hate having to use injuries as an excuse, but when you have 6 regulars out of your lineup, with a few more playing injured, you can expect to be affected.
And no, not every team has that many important players out. Here's the list:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/injuries/

Now you can argue that we got injured because we're not big enough, and that would make sense if the guys injured would be small, but that's not the case.

In any event, this was a great season. For whatever reason, we suffered major injuries during the POs and faced arguably the best goalie of the NHL this year, it had nothing to do with being out coached.

Our team had a great year. The bar was very low seeing how we finished 28th last year. Now we finished 2nd, so expectations will be higher next season. We'll see how we do.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:15 PM
25get

Roy was interviewed for the job and they choose Therrien.

Bergevin has his team setup. He even waited months for Dudley to be available.
Given 24 players already signed, MB seems to be a GM looking for stable and patient improvement.

Expect two or three players in the line-up from the UFA market.
The rest will come from draft picks.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Better yet, next year lets take another one of those 2 games 6-1 beatings again and 4 games to 1 exit. Plus get our heads kicked in. A lot of times the regular season doesn't mean much. Its the playoffs that count. That is where the true colors show.

I like the fire Roy brings to the Habs. Don't worry MT will still be coaching the Habs next year. Besides we don't have the team to win a cup for atleast 2-3 more years if things go in the right direction. He might as well be the plug behind the bench for the time being. You guys give MT too much credit.
Dude, you don't even have arguments...

I'll make a bet with you. Next year, we will not lost 4 games to 1 with two blowouts.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:17 PM
LastRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Wanted Roy in the first place... but what the org would look like "sorry MT but Roy has more swag"
Pretty sure Roy didn't want to be just a coach but also wanted some say as part of a GM. At least thats what the reports were.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:30 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
This thread is cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

You don't fire a coach that turned a 15th place team into a 2nd place team. He's coached 53 games, how about we give him a full season and see if he can do even better.

This. Taking a team from 15th to 2nd isn't good enough apparently. I know we have high expectations but still.

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:39 PM
HatTricK09

So he went from genius during the season to fire-worthy with a shortened playoff?

HatTricK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
This. Taking a team from 15th to 2nd isn't good enough apparently. I know we have high expectations but still.
I already said that Habs fans would still find some things/some players to criticize if we win the cup.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:41 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
So he went from genius during the season to fire-worthy with a shortened playoff?
insert 'thatescalatedquickly.jpeg'

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote