HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should The Habs Replace MT With Patrick Roy ?

Old
05-10-2013, 06:48 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Why am I not surprised to see this thread?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:59 PM
aaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
If for some weird reason we would want to replace MT, I would go for Boucher instead. But Roy? Come on. He's nothing special as a coach, aside from the fact that he's a big name and he's popular.
I would go for Boucher as well. Had he been available he would have almost certainly been hired over Therrien . He also has familiarity with some of the players through his Hamilton experience. He's an innovative coach who I think the players will respond more to than someone who relies more on the motivation and fitness aspect that Therrien does. Sometimes it pays to be proactive when a good coach is available rather than sit and wait until the players tune Therrien's message out.

aaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

MT can stay; let the Avs get Jacques Martin. Perhaps Roy can coach the Dogs or the Lake Erie Monsters...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
There is

- Stupid ideas
- Very stupid ideas
- Extremely stupid ideas
- This idea.
/thread

Worst thread ever.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:19 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Bring in Boucher plz

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

Keep Roy at a minimum distance of 10,000 Chara-length hockey sticks from the Habs!

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:02 PM
HCH

NO!!

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:03 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Bring in Boucher plz
Another no!

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:09 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

If anything, hire someone to fix the PK. The rest was fine. Well, they could also hire Yanic Perreault as a special consultant on face offs.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:15 PM
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That's just silly.
Ya, you can doubt whether or not the Habs would have finished 1st. I seriously doubt you believed, if we go back to before the season, that this was a question you were gonna ask yourself come May.
How did MT get smoked? If Price doesn't crap the bed in game 1, we win. If the refs do their actual job in Game 4, we win. This series could have easily been 3-1 for us, and those aren't things Therrien had the power of changing.
Heck, even quite a few of the Sens players and coach said that we probably deserved a better fate and that Anderson was really the series changer.

You can hate having to use injuries as an excuse, but when you have 6 regulars out of your lineup, with a few more playing injured, you can expect to be affected.
And no, not every team has that many important players out. Here's the list:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/injuries/

Now you can argue that we got injured because we're not big enough, and that would make sense if the guys injured would be small, but that's not the case.

In any event, this was a great season. For whatever reason, we suffered major injuries during the POs and faced arguably the best goalie of the NHL this year, it had nothing to do with being out coached.

Our team had a great year. The bar was very low seeing how we finished 28th last year. Now we finished 2nd, so expectations will be higher next season. We'll see how we do.
All the things you just said pretty much sum up the whole situation. They are all facts and they all fit together as clear as day. It shocks me that so many fans can't see that. A lot of people were thrashing all of our players in the GDT, trashing the coach, the system, every choice made since the dawn of time... fans booed, left before the end of the 3rd...

But a lot of fans were psyched when Martin was coaching the most boring and ineffective team on the planet that had no shot at going anywhere or do anything except on a miracle run like the one we went with Halak.

It's all just mind boggling to me.

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Account Terminated

vCash: 50
Awards:
Or... we could keep Therrien?

- He coached a last place team to first in their division.
- He coached two young rookies who had the time to slowly adapt to the NHL level and become comfortable without being given too many roses.
- He brought back emotion to the dressing room.
- He held players accountable when they really messed up -- see White, for example.
- His benching and scratching of Eller is what made Eller the beast he turned into.
- His emphasis on playing as a team gave the Habs the chemistry they needed to be successful during the season.

Their playoff run only lasted five games but take into account that they suffered injuries that teams normally don't see after three or four games. Also remember, Ottawa was a seventh seed but that was without Spezza, Karlsson, Anderson and Michalek for long stretches. With three of them back in the line-up, they were a much better team than a 7th seed.

Account Terminated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Why am I not surprised to see this thread?
Because if there is anything Habs fans can do better than any other fanbase in the league, it is to embarrass themselves to no end.

05-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Therrien was pretty much our only option for coach at the time. Not like there were some good candidates. There was nobody else to hire but him. It's just my opinion, but I don't see this guy as an all that great of coach. MT has been around since 2000 with no cup, and thats with Crosby and Malkin.
Roy is in the same place this year as he was last year. Why wasn't he an option last year but he is one now?

Yeah....makes total sense.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
MT coached the Pen's to the Stanley Cup finals and got fired. We don't have Crosby and Malkin. MT is an "ok" coach nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure MB won't fire him by default because we finished first.

The way some of you guys think. You can't fire a coach for finishing first, and you can't fire a coach because he has a crappy team to work with.
You can't be serious. I don't even know where to begin with all that ****.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Therrien was pretty much our only option for coach at the time. Not like there were some good candidates. There was nobody else to hire but him. It's just my opinion, but I don't see this guy as an all that great of coach. MT has been around since 2000 with no cup, and thats with Crosby and Malkin.
Bob Hartley and Patrick Roy?
Larry Robinson? Benoit Groulx? Crawford?

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa View Post
I would go for Boucher as well. Had he been available he would have almost certainly been hired over Therrien . He also has familiarity with some of the players through his Hamilton experience. He's an innovative coach who I think the players will respond more to than someone who relies more on the motivation and fitness aspect that Therrien does. Sometimes it pays to be proactive when a good coach is available rather than sit and wait until the players tune Therrien's message out.
Not so sure about that. Boucher seems to coach only one system and it's a 1 high forechecker systeme while all the other plers wait at the blueline. A "Trapp+" if you will. I really don't think this is the type of game Bergevin wanted his team to play. He wanted something more offensively oriented than what Martin was coaching so no, I don't think he would have hired Boucher.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:54 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

if we ever fire therrien then..i dont think he speaks french but he is a hab through and through..CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!

BRAD HABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:26 PM
aaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Not so sure about that. Boucher seems to coach only one system and it's a 1 high forechecker systeme while all the other plers wait at the blueline. A "Trapp+" if you will. I really don't think this is the type of game Bergevin wanted his team to play. He wanted something more offensively oriented than what Martin was coaching so no, I don't think he would have hired Boucher.
Good point. I agree Bergevin would probably not be a fan of another trapping system and I couldn't say for certain whether Boucher would've budged from employing that system had the timing worked out and he got the chance to interview for the job. I think Boucher would probably have to reassess his coaching strategy at this point to gel with Habs management but if he were willing to do that I think he would maximize the potential of these players more so than Therrien. I just feel like he can develop a Galchenyuk, Subban and Pacioretty whereas Therrien is more concerned with them not making mistakes. At the end of the day I have faith that Bergevin will do what's best for the team.

Last edited by aaa: 05-10-2013 at 10:31 PM.
aaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:45 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
HaHaHa ....

LOVE IT!! ..... made me laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
There is

- Stupid ideas
- Very stupid ideas
- Extremely stupid ideas
- This idea.

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:03 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
No there was an other option last year, a road that Marc Bergevin didn't take, maybe you heard of the guy, is name is Patrick Roy...

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Better yet, next year lets take another one of those 2 games 6-1 beatings again and 4 games to 1 exit. Plus get our heads kicked in. A lot of times the regular season doesn't mean much. Its the playoffs that count. That is where the true colors show.

I like the fire Roy brings to the Habs. Don't worry MT will still be coaching the Habs next year. Besides we don't have the team to win a cup for atleast 2-3 more years if things go in the right direction. He might as well be the plug behind the bench for the time being. You guys give MT too much credit.
'
This post is so stupid I don't even know where to begin.

MT wasn't outcoached and we easily could've won this series. The fact that we made it to the playoffs at all is a huge accomplishment. And don't give us this "the regular season doesn't count" ****. That's an absolutely stupid argument right now.

Young team, played reasonably well in most of the games (though we didn't go to the net) and could've won. Guys were hurt and it's a very inexperienced group. Yet, because we lost a playoff series it's time to call MT a total failure and throw him out?

How about we just throw this stupid thread out instead?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
'
This post is so stupid I don't even know where to begin.
That's where you should've end it.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:52 PM
bsl

Quote:
Looks like the Av's are ready to steal him away. They Av's love digging through our organization. Losing MT isn't that big a deal as far as I am concerned. No big loss. Plus I didn't like some of the payers he was sending out on the PP among other things. I also read MT's games speech's are uninspiring. I would love to see Roy behind the bench.
This again. Will it ever die?

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:59 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Roy is going to Colorado. Rumors have Sakic talking to Roy.
Good, let Colorada suffer with his learning curve. Not Habs coach material. The team is too close to contending to **** it up with a hot headed junior coach.

And the OP puts too much emphasis on coaching also. Habs will be better and better on the ice the next 3 years, and what you want with a good team is a coach that supports his players, keeps them in line, and otherwise shuts his gob.

Roy is exactly the wrong type of coach for a contending team. He'd just **** everything up with his ego and need for attention.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:07 AM
bsl

Quote:
Better yet, next year lets take another one of those 2 games 6-1 beatings again and 4 games to 1 exit. Plus get our heads kicked in. A lot of times the regular season doesn't mean much. Its the playoffs that count. That is where the true colors show.

I like the fire Roy brings to the Habs. Don't worry MT will still be coaching the Habs next year. Besides we don't have the team to win a cup for atleast 2-3 more years if things go in the right direction. He might as well be the plug behind the bench for the time being. You guys give MT too much credit.
You actually think NHL coaches make that big a difference? I laugh, seriously. They are glorified cheerleaders and the good ones are good because they have good players, who are not injured, or fantastic goalies that save the team's ass, IE: Maclean. That is all. What a joke this is.

In fact , I'll go further: In 3 years with good moves by Bergy, the Habs could coach themselves to a cup. After all, they did that in 86. Joke ass thread.