HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Sakic Takes Over All Hockey Operations

Old
05-10-2013, 05:34 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Still seems quite nervous.
whaaattt??? That interview seemed nearly perfect, what part of nervous did you catch? No stuttering, great answers, prepared, perfect IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
Stellar interview imo. Super Joe really is everything he is advertised as. He always makes me so happy I am an Avs fan

Edit - Also they usually post the interviews online not very long after they happen, Ill try to post the link to the direct interview when its up.
Looks like I'm not alone on this either.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Yeah, thought he seemed great on the radio. Much better than on TV.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
whaaattt??? That interview seemed nearly perfect, what part of nervous did you catch? No stuttering, great answers, prepared, perfect IMO.
There was some stuttering and quiver in his voice (to be expected as this is one of his first interviews in a long time), but I thought he answered everything as good as he could. I didn't have a problem with it and was good to hear the front office of the Avs speaking on the radio again.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
anleva

Quote:
Edit - Also they usually post the interviews online not very long after they happen, Ill try to post the link to the direct interview when its up.
Yeah they post their whole show everyday in 3 segments, hour 1,2,3. This one will be hour 2 when they post it later today at this link (interview started 15 past the hour)

http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/E....aspx?PID=1623

anleva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:39 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Stellar interview imo. Super Joe really is everything he is advertised as. He always makes me so happy I am an Avs fan
An honest, quiet but confident man who seems to know what he's talking about. I think he'll do well.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
Yeah they post their whole show everyday in 3 segments, hour 1,2,3. This one will be hour 2 when they post it later today at this link (interview started 15 past the hour)

http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/E....aspx?PID=1623
They also post individual interviews here

http://www.1043thefan.com/thedrive/

ATM the interview is not up, but it should be soon

Avs For Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Commander Enigma

It will be a hard sell for some folks to accept that JK may be a different man than ESK. But there are some good signs. Just the fact that he sat there at a press conference and answered questions is a huge departure from his father. Also the fact that Lacroix has been removed from his position of authority, and likely ultimately the organization all together in time, another huge departure. My inclination is to give him the benefit the doubt.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
This might be near the bottom of the list of their priorities but they really need to change the perception fans and media have of this team. Kroenke said he's going to be interacting with fans more (whatever that means).

One of the reporters also mentioned today how Sherman hasn't been made available to the media. Others have previously said that Sherman doesn't even return phone calls like pretty much every other GM in the league does. I hope Sakic is the one everyone contacts now and maybe they won't be that secretive.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I don't know if this was a slip or what, but the guys on the Fan ridiculed Pierre LaCroix for not even being in Denver - instead he was apparently at times running this franchise from Las Vegas.

Connections to the Jiggy comments? I don't know.

But after doing about 30 seconds of googling, apparently LaCroix had a tumor in 2006 and it did list Las Vegas as his home.

In fact, Pierre and his wife are listed as the owners of this home (geez it's scary how fast you can find this stuff)

http://lasvegas.blockshopper.com/pro...a_modena_court

Pierre's home wasn't even in Denver. ugh.

The puzzles from the last few years are finally putting themselves together here. Eric most likely took over the franchise a few years ago. Pierre has been hands off 500+ miles away. This organization was in disarray.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

That has been brought up a few times here. PL hasn't lived in Denver for a while now. I think the only games he attended recently were in Phoenix, Los Angeles, and Anaheim because those cities aren't too far from Vegas.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:48 PM
zoomzoom

vCash: 50
Question:

Lappy was low-balled with an offer, im assuming that wont happen anymore but what will happen if this scenario happens again? Im assuming Sakic will deal with it?

zoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
I think it will bring a change in the Avs culture , They needed to bring new guys with new ideas . PL ( like him Hate him ) had a great run but it was time for him to go . They will bring a new coach ( hopefully from outside the organisation ) soon and it will change things on the ice too . Something that i find a bit weird is that it looks like they will keep Sherman as a GM . Right now, they are cleaning house and starting everything from scratch, with new ideas and that was a great timing to let Sherman go too . If you're gonna start all over , you might as well get new guys at every level of your organisation.

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
The new positions as others have mentioned is a bit like reshuffling the deck and definitely there is a serious lack of experience at the top of this organization now.

However, I am cautiously optimistic for the simple reason that the Lacroix era is over. I'm sure Sakic will make plenty of mistakes, though hopefully he isn't anything like Kevin Lowe, but bottom line is that so many things about the organization where we always knew what they were going to do might finally change. Like trading any difficult players, hire whichever unqualified scrub has connections to the organization as coach, media blackout, etc

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:14 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

The one-minute report by TSN of the 25+ minute Avs press conference which introduced Joe Sakic as Colorado's new executive v.p. addressed the possible Patrick Roy as head coach and Seth Jones as draft pick rumours but really missed the meat of the matter, what the press conference really conveyed (not just sideward token vague comments about outstanding rumours leaguewide). I watched the whole thing and clearly three things TSN overlooked:

1) Both Sakic and the new president (from ownership) emphasized that winning is the focus, not managing or developing, but working toward a "championship" (Sakic mentioned twice). They repeatedly spoke of a new direction and focus on winning with none of the kind of 'doing my job managing' talk that comes out of Winnipeg and Toronto. Watch the press conference and you'll see a half dozen references by Sakic to their commitment to winning a championship and making a major shift toward doing so.

2) A core group is needed, including a top level goaltender, according to Sakic, which suggests he may be looking at making moves in that regard (Miller? Luongo?). Sakic clearly said having a great goaltender is key to winning. Unfortunately, the sheepish media in Colorado threw him softball questions and didn't follow up on that.

3) the new president (from ownership) said they will be adding one big contract, and more when needed (plus mentioned youth, so seems like a cup run isn't necessarily in the immediate future, but playoff hopes is).

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:20 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
The one-minute report by TSN of the 25+ minute Avs press conference which introduced Joe Sakic as Colorado's new executive v.p. addressed the possible Patrick Roy as head coach and Seth Jones as draft pick rumours but really missed the meat of the matter, what the press conference really conveyed (not just sideward token vague comments about outstanding rumours leaguewide). I watched the whole thing and clearly three things TSN overlooked:

1) Both Sakic and the new president (from ownership) emphasized that winning is the focus, not managing or developing, but working toward a "championship" (Sakic mentioned twice). They repeatedly spoke of a new direction and focus on winning with none of the kind of 'doing my job managing' talk that comes out of Winnipeg and Toronto. Watch the press conference and you'll see a half dozen references by Sakic to their commitment to winning a championship and making a major shift toward doing so.

2) A core group is needed, including a top level goaltender, according to Sakic, which suggests he may be looking at making moves in that regard (Miller? Luongo?). Sakic clearly said having a great goaltender is key to winning. Unfortunately, the sheepish media in Colorado threw him softball questions and didn't follow up on that.

3) the new president (from ownership) said they will be adding one big contract, and more when needed (plus mentioned youth, so seems like a cup run isn't necessarily in the immediate future, but playoff hopes is).
When did he say that specifically? He said what he usually says when asked about the cap, and that's that they would spend smartly and when its appropriate. I never heard him say anything about "One big contract".

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Hans Landaskog

video on tsn

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422861#

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:28 PM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I don't know if this was a slip or what, but the guys on the Fan ridiculed Pierre LaCroix for not even being in Denver - instead he was apparently at times running this franchise from Las Vegas.

Connections to the Jiggy comments? I don't know.

But after doing about 30 seconds of googling, apparently LaCroix had a tumor in 2006 and it did list Las Vegas as his home.

In fact, Pierre and his wife are listed as the owners of this home (geez it's scary how fast you can find this stuff)

http://lasvegas.blockshopper.com/pro...a_modena_court

Pierre's home wasn't even in Denver. ugh.

The puzzles from the last few years are finally putting themselves together here. Eric most likely took over the franchise a few years ago. Pierre has been hands off 500+ miles away. This organization was in disarray.
Eric calling the shots would explain why Sacco lasted as long as he did, since it was stated that they were friends and EL believed in him.

GeoffL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Kroenke is a pretty tall guy.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:42 PM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
When did he say that specifically? He said what he usually says when asked about the cap, and that's that they would spend smartly and when its appropriate. I never heard him say anything about "One big contract".
If I'm remembering correctly I think he was alluding to the contract for a number 1 draft choice.

anleva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Landeslog

People worried about Josh just need to look at the Nuggets.
He has experience being a president in a major sports league and it seems he's been taking the steps to learn how the NHL works. The Nuggets' coach and GM won their respective "best in the NBA" trophies and they have a very transparent organization as far as media representation goes. There's no reason to assume Josh won't apply the same techniques to the Avs. It's also going to be great having his wallet a little more involved with the team.

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Kroenke is a pretty tall guy.

That hairstyle.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I think it will bring a change in the Avs culture , They needed to bring new guys with new ideas . PL ( like him Hate him ) had a great run but it was time for him to go . They will bring a new coach ( hopefully from outside the organisation ) soon and it will change things on the ice too . Something that i find a bit weird is that it looks like they will keep Sherman as a GM . Right now, they are cleaning house and starting everything from scratch, with new ideas and that was a great timing to let Sherman go too . If you're gonna start all over , you might as well get new guys at every level of your organisation.
They pretty much relegated Sherman to Assistant GM. Sherman is a numbers guy and a day-to-day petty stuff worker. Big decisions and everything will be Sakic's job.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I'm getting a kick out of the moving goalposts from some.

It used to be: Kroenke don't care about Avs. They only care about Nuggets.

Now when Kroenke becomes president of Avs and is showing intentions of being more involved its: Kroenke isn't a hockey guy.

Josh Kroenke lives in Denver. Being the president of Nuggets and Avs is his job. Him being involved with Avs is a great thing for Avalanche. Switching Lacroix with Sakic as the guy they listen to is a massive change.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I agree with this

Bring on September

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
They pretty much relegated Sherman to Assistant GM. Sherman is a numbers guy and a day-to-day petty stuff worker. Big decisions and everything will be Sakic's job.
No problem with that , but when you start all over again and want to bring a winning culture to the team, bring new guys and get rid of the ones that were part of the losing seasons . You look infront of you and it's all about winning from now on, a fresh start with no reminder of what happend . To me , Sherman is that "reminder" ( even if he did good moves ) and that's why i dont understand why he's still in place .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote