HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post
I am of the opinion that Price was playing with a tweaked groin all season.

not saying this caused it but it is one of several examples over the season of Price favouring a tender groin
There were several times where he would be seen wincing in pain after making a routine save. He was definitely hurt.

05-09-2013, 10:37 PM
zzoo

vCash: 500
While Price is not bad in this series, Anderson is clearly better than him.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:38 PM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael Sonnen View Post
Trade Price and have who in between the pipes? Budaj and Tokarski? Yeah... we'll go far there.

Price is the franchise in net here and he's a damn good guy to put that title on. WE HAVE SEEN HIM ON HIS GAME. When he is on his game, he's a top five goaltender in the league, this year, obviously, he had some issues, quite possibly a lingering injury which affected his mobility, which did look iffy compared to other seasons.
Then our franchise is in jeopardy unless we get the 2 best center in the game because Price is no better than Fleury.

Ho... And we've seen Brian Boucher in his game and when he was on there was no goalie better than him too. Where is he now ?

It's not a question of how good your game is when your on top. It's a question of how often can you get there... In Price's case it's once a year for the span of a month or 2.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He has earned... stop with this nonsense about how he got is with a silver spoon. He came into the league and was awesome. He was awesome in his second season before getting hurt too. He's been among the best goalies in the game over the past few years and logs more games than anyone.

Stop being stupid here. It's one thing to argue that he's not among the very best goalies in the game, it's a whole other ball of wax to suggest that he hasn't earned the starters job and that he's unproven.

You guys need a serious reality check.
You can earn a job and then lose it too with bad play. (maybe not in MTL) All I'm saying is healthy competition would be good for him, and would give us a better chance than...Budaj.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Et le But

Was it a groin injury that caused them to shut down Price last year or a concussion? I know we were tanking by that point, but he had a groin injury to start this year and that's something to be very concerned about. Unless they think the Condon man is the real deal we strongly need to consider drafting a goalie regardless of what Price does next year.

The last thing we need is a Dipietro situation.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:40 PM
WeeBey

He was great in games 2 and 4. Whether or not Zibenajad's goal was legit is irrelevant, cause someone should have been on him. Other teams seem to be able to do whatever the hell they want in and around his crease. Whereas, every time Gallagher got in Andersons face, Neil was there to put him in a head-lock.

And maybe I'm making excuses but I really felt like the whole team was shaken up by the hit on Eller, Price included. They didn't seem focused after that. They had like a minute and a half of 5-on-3 and they looked awful.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:41 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Was it a groin injury that caused them to shut down Price last year or a concussion? I know we were tanking by that point, but he had a groin injury to start this year and that's something to be very concerned about. Unless they think the Condon man is the real deal we strongly need to consider drafting a goalie regardless of what Price does next year.

Pretty sure it was a concussion.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:50 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

He hurt himself in training camp on a Pacioretty shootout attempt. I remember it.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
It could be a solution it depends on the return you get for him. And if he's just average like you said you could find another average goalie that's paid less. But like I said it all depends on what you can get for him.
Luongo is a more proven goalie and Vancouver couldn't get anyone to bite and you think the market will fall head over heels for Price? If the GMs even dislike Price 1/5 as much as this thread has shown the return wouldn't even be close.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Are you argumenting that all the shot Price let in at bad times were good goals and screened goals ?

At the number of scoring chances the Habs had that maybe weren't always screened like you said Price would still not have been as good as Anderson. The goals that hurted the most weren't the good goals
It was the softies.
I didn't see game one... can't say. I saw the highlights and remember him giving up a softie though, no doubt about it. But to sit there and say he lost the game when the team only managed 2 goals is silly. 50 shots doesn't mean anything unless you're putting pucks in the net. If you score 2 goals, you're probably going to lose.

But yeah, most of the goals Price let in were screens, PPs or total defensive breakdowns. I remember a stoppable puck in game three but again... OUR TEAM DIDN'T SHOW UP.

Anderson was good but we made him look a lot better than he was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
While Price is not bad in this series, Anderson is clearly better than him.
No. And neither is Brian Elliot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
You can earn a job and then lose it too with bad play. (maybe not in MTL) All I'm saying is healthy competition would be good for him, and would give us a better chance than...Budaj.
Healthy competition? Yeah, when has that ever been bad? Every team needs a goalie controversy. We're already paying 6+ mil for goaltending, let's spend more there instead of fixing our D and forwards... It sure worked out in Vancouver.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Luongo is a more proven goalie and Vancouver couldn't get anyone to bite and you think the market will fall head over heels for Price? If the GMs even dislike Price 1/5 as much as this thread has shown the return wouldn't even be close.
Totally different situation. Luongo's contract is retarded.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Hullois

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
He hurt himself in training camp on a Pacioretty shootout attempt. I remember it.
I agree with this, I remember the same thing and so many times this season he seemed in pain afer a routine save.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Healthy competition? Yeah, when has that ever been bad? Every team needs a goalie controversy. We're already paying 6+ mil for goaltending, let's spend more there instead of fixing our D and forwards... It sure worked out in Vancouver.
I'm honestly too tired to do this tonight. Not bailing out on the discussion but we have a long offseason to discuss. Cheers.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
I'm honestly too tired to do this tonight. Not bailing out on the discussion but we have a long offseason to discuss. Cheers.
Well then go visit the arcade machine thread... much more fun to talk about.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Concussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Wasn't there also something in the pre-game warm up earlier this season where people wondered if he was going to play, and he ended up playing and continuing through to this point? Maybe I'm confusing the two scenarios. Either way, Price was probably in a lot of pain this year physically as the season went on. His mobility was affected for sure.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:16 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Also Halak will be on the market this summer if the rumours are correct.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:34 PM
CN_paladin

Carey sucked in game 1 but our D has been worse!

A mini rebuild is in order.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:35 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

we need to fire that goaltending coach

Old
05-09-2013, 11:42 PM
Teufelsdreck

Budaj took 2 of the 4 losses, so it seems the team wasn't up to the task. Neither were the Leafs, another hopeless non-playoff team last season that made it this time. Still, don't overlook the progress both teams made. Who would have predicted it?

Old
05-10-2013, 08:29 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael Sonnen View Post
Concussion.

Wasn't there also something in the pre-game warm up earlier this season where people wondered if he was going to play, and he ended up playing and continuing through to this point? Maybe I'm confusing the two scenarios. Either way, Price was probably in a lot of pain this year physically as the season went on. His mobility was affected for sure.
That was a Diaz shot that hit him where the sun don't shine.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:31 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Then our franchise is in jeopardy unless we get the 2 best center in the game because Price is no better than Fleury.

Ho... And we've seen Brian Boucher in his game and when he was on there was no goalie better than him too. Where is he now ?

It's not a question of how good your game is when your on top. It's a question of how often can you get there... In Price's case it's once a year for the span of a month or 2.
Did you just compare Carey Price to Brian Boucher?

Old
05-10-2013, 08:35 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Also Halak will be on the market this summer if the rumours are correct.
I'm assuming he wants a #1 job, but had we not signed Budaj, how funny would it be if we traded one of our 2nd rounders for Halak, give him and CP31 some nice goaltending battles and then, quite possibly, have Carey traded away instead.

But what am I saying, this is NEVER going to happen.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:36 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
That was a Diaz shot that hit him where the sun don't shine.
God damn it, #61...

Old
05-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
People who were crying for Budaj and who are crying for us to deal Price should take a long hard look at this game and realize what they are actually asking for...
I'm almost encline to agree with what Mathias Brunet said after game 4 :

Quote:
Je me demande de plus en plus d’ailleurs si, dans un marché exigeant comme celui de Montréal, il ne vaut pas mieux de miser sur des “goaleux” puisque les gardiens de talent sont bouffés tout rond par les fans et les médias qui n’attendent que leurs faux pas pour les crucifier. C’est encore le cas aujourd’hui alors qu’on blâme Price pour la défaite d’hier alors qu’il n’a accordé deux buts sur lesquels il ne pouvait rien, avant de se blesser. On déteste Price comme on a détesté José Théodore (malgré son Vézina et son Hart) et Patrick Roy (sauf lors des courtes périodes où il a remporté la Coupe en 1986 et 1993, alors que les Hackett, Halak, Huet et compagnie ont l’absolution complète.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Roulin

Just spitballing, some potential destinations and returns for Price should the Habs choose to go in a different direction:

Colorado - ROR & Varlamov
Edmonton - Eberle & Dubnyk
Philly - Couturier

Of course I'm not sure any of those 3 teams would have that kind of interest. I suspect his value is all over the map, depending on which GM you ask. If Bergevin decides to move him, I bet he could find a team who is head over heels for Price.

Aside from the difference with Luongo's age and contract, if capgeek is correct Price doesn't have a NTC, so teams often portrayed as unattractive to players like Edmonton and Colorado become possibilities.

I'm personally in between camps on Price the player, but generally against big commitments to goalies, given the surplus of goalie talent in the league.

Closed Thread