HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Biggest post season choke job by a team

Old
05-09-2013, 02:28 PM
PRMan

vCash: 500
How about Marty McSorely's stick? It was all Kings until that penalty and all Canadiens afterward...

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Big Phil

It has to be the 1993 Pens at #1. It isn't as if this team wasn't experienced. They just won two Cups, were the best team in the NHL by far at that time and for whatever reason were unable to put the nail in the coffin on a weak Islander team. That still comes down to one of those moments where time hasn't gotten any kinder to the 1993 Pens. It was ugly then, and it remains sinfully ugly to this day.

The 1982 Oilers hadn't won anything at that point so I'm not sure they rank as the #1 case here. However, it was still a giant choke job. Losing to a team you had 48 more points than, blowing a 5-0 third period lead in Game 3. Having a home game in the deciding game and still losing 7-4.

The 1945 Habs come to mind as well. The Leafs had lost their best players to the war but Montreal still had the Punch line of Rocket, Blake and Lach. Not to mention a HHOF defenseman in Bouchard and a HHOF goalie in Durnan. Somehow they still lost to the Leafs in the first round. They weren't green either, they had won the Cup in 1944.

Part of me wants to put the 1971 Bruins here, but looking back at it just take a gander of that 1971 Habs lineup. There is certainly no shame losing to that crew.

I'll nominate the 1986 Oilers at this time as well. The 1986 Flames weren't slouches by any means, but there was certainly enough seperation between these two teams where it should have never gotten to the point where poor Steve Smith made on little mistake to cost them the series. The Oilers had won two Cups at this point, so it is fair they weren't rookies anymore. Definitely the definition of a choke job.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
The best team in the West losing to an expansion team in their 3rd year isnt a choke job? Who exactly on Detroit was still young? I dont know if its the biggest choke job but its up there.
Fedorov, 24
Primeau, 22
Kozlov, 21
Lidström, 23
Drake, 24
Sillinger, 22
McCarty, 21
Osgood, 21
Lapointe, 20
Konstantinov and Chiasson, 26

Plus Yzerman only played 3 games.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:32 AM
Evincar
Not God, Grodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Fedorov, 24
Primeau, 22
Kozlov, 21
Lidström, 23
Drake, 24
Sillinger, 22
McCarty, 21
Osgood, 21
Lapointe, 20
Konstantinov and Chiasson, 26

Plus Yzerman only played 3 games.
Here are the number of playoff games they played prior to the series vs San Jose:

Fedorov-25
Lidstrom-18
Primeau-23
Konstantinov-18
Chiasson-39
Kozlov-4
Lapointe-3

Osgood and McCarty had 0. Drake and Sillinger didnt play vs San Jose.

Detroit was 2-2 without Yzerman.

As for San Jose's young players (age in brackets), Ozolinsh(21), Falloon(21), Whitney(21), Pederson(24), More(25), Kroupa(18), Gaudreau(24) and Irbe(26) had not played a single NHL playoff game before!

Rookie head coach Kevin Constantine had never coached a playoff game before obviously.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
The Pens did lose Kevin Stevens to a concussion/face explosion.

He was the most dominant power forward in the league at the time, and it wasn't even close. If he's not injured, the Pens win the Cup. That WAS the difference.
All Kevin Stevens did that series was run his mouth. then he ran himself to the hospital trying to put a dirty hit on Pilon after an icing call early in game 7.

Stevens at the time was good, but nowhere near their best player. the pens had TONS of talent to rely on and couldnt get it done.

Mario, Jagr, Francis, Tocchet, Joey Mullen, Larry Murphy, Ect.

Islanders without Pierre Turgeon for the series, except for a PP cameo or two in Game 7, in which he was clearly not a factor because of the shoulder injury.

'93 pens has to be right up there for biggest Choke

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Here are the number of playoff games they played prior to the series vs San Jose:

Fedorov-25
Lidstrom-18
Primeau-23
Konstantinov-18
Chiasson-39
Kozlov-4
Lapointe-3

Osgood and McCarty had 0. Drake and Sillinger didnt play vs San Jose.

Detroit was 2-2 without Yzerman.

As for San Jose's young players (age in brackets), Ozolinsh(21), Falloon(21), Whitney(21), Pederson(24), More(25), Kroupa(18), Gaudreau(24) and Irbe(26) had not played a single NHL playoff game before!

Rookie head coach Kevin Constantine had never coached a playoff game before obviously.
Obviously it was two young teams facing eachother where one did more mistakes (Detroit). Hardly a choke job.

Who was that Sharks team led by, oh, just Larionov, Makarov, Dahlen and Errey. Irbe was already an experienced top-level goalie because of his international career. While Osgood experience was a losing effort in the memorial cup.

As a team Red Wings didnt choke but some players did, most notably Sheppard. I just don't see how a very marginal loss to that Sharks team is worth noting in a biggest choke thread when we have the '01 Red Wings for example.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:13 PM
nutbar

How about some stacked teams that inexplicably missed the playoffs altogether? Penguins in 1990, Rangers in 1993, Nordiques in 1994 come to mind.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:38 PM
yave1964
22 and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Obviously it was two young teams facing eachother where one did more mistakes (Detroit). Hardly a choke job.

Who was that Sharks team led by, oh, just Larionov, Makarov, Dahlen and Errey. Irbe was already an experienced top-level goalie because of his international career. While Osgood experience was a losing effort in the memorial cup.

As a team Red Wings didnt choke but some players did, most notably Sheppard. I just don't see how a very marginal loss to that Sharks team is worth noting in a biggest choke thread when we have the '01 Red Wings for example.
As a huge 48 year old lifelong Red Wings fan I could come up with an agonizing top five chokes off the top of my head including 2001, but I try my best to forget them, lol.
The reason the series against the Sharks hurts so bad is because I drank the Koolaid and was ready to go to the Cup Finals before the playoffs started. I had watched soooo much bad hockey for so long, then under Demers they started turning around, by 1994 we had Bowman and nobody by God NOBODY was gonna stop my boys from winning a cup. I remember thinking it was all about the matchup in the finals and being healthy when we got there. That is why TO ME PERSONALLY that is the hardest one ever. By 1999, 2001, 2006 ect... we had cup runs that resulted in victories, so at least I could sigh and say well at least we won a cup two years ago or whatever. In 1994 the Wings last cup appearance was the year I was born, 1964 and their last cup win was a decade earlier. I usually watch the playoffs after the Wings get knocked out but that year I didn't, I still don't watch the Rangers beating the Canucks in game seven when it airs on the hockey network, I just keep thinking about how the Wings would have crucified them. So that is my story, I know there are worse upsets, but this was the worst to me. Thanks for reading.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Kyle McMahon

1994 was still a time before a 30-team league and excessive parity made upsets commonplace. I mean last year we had the #8 Kings beat the #1 Canucks, and it was hardly even a shock. A #8 seed was generally a lot weaker in the West pre-2001; there were only 12 teams in the conference in 1994. So you have to look at how the upset was viewed when it happened, not through a revisionist lens with how it might be viewed today.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:10 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
The 2010 Canucks were perilously close in their opening series against Chicago.
That was an amazing series though. I know it'd be looked at as a huge choke job but man that was a great 1st round matchup

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
1994 was still a time before a 30-team league and excessive parity made upsets commonplace. I mean last year we had the #8 Kings beat the #1 Canucks, and it was hardly even a shock. A #8 seed was generally a lot weaker in the West pre-2001; there were only 12 teams in the conference in 1994. So you have to look at how the upset was viewed when it happened, not through a revisionist lens with how it might be viewed today.
No doubt it was a huge upset. The Wings may have been chokers at that time in general, but no one could imagine a Bowman-coached team losing in a playoff series to a team that had just lost an NHL record 71 games a year earlier. That's where this upset is big in my opinion. Not so much on the Wings side of things, but just to who the team they lost to, an expansion team in their 3rd season and once removed from a horrible season.

That being said, I still take the Pens in 1993 over this because they had the championship experience and were heavy favourites to win it all, while Detroit was a hesitant choice in 1994.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Fresh Prince
Go Red Wings!

2009 New Jersey Devils HAS to be mentioned.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWO View Post
If we're talking a single game, it has to be up there in terms of recent happenings. Winning Game 7 at home with a minute left....and you lose in regulation?!

The fact that they lost in regulation is really just an interesting sidebar though. Is it any bigger of a choke to lose 10 minutes into OT instead? Not really, you gave up a late lead and lost in both instances.

Anybody know the latest a team has ever given up a lead in a Game 7 and gone on to lose? I seem to remember the Devils tying the Rangers in the dying seconds in 1994, but they eventually lost in OT.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:27 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Quote:
Anybody know the latest a team has ever given up a lead in a Game 7 and gone on to lose? I seem to remember the Devils tying the Rangers in the dying seconds in 1994, but they eventually lost in OT.
1979 CF Game 7. Boston led Montreal 3-1 at the start of the 3rd period. Montreal tied it, then Boston scored with under 5 minutes left to play. Hardly a choke job though. Playing on the road against the reigning cup champs.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:11 PM
seventieslord

1999 and 2006 sens?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:15 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
No, it wasn't.

He was injured during game 7.

Too little too late.
So you're saying that losing a physically dominant scoring winger who has scored 54 and 55 goals in the two most recent seasons and has 190 in 332 in his five-year career, and is coming off of a 111-point season (after finishing second with 123 the year before).

A player who (at the time of the injury) has 71 playoff points in 56 career playoff games?

That's not a player who might make a difference in a Game 7?

Riiiiight.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Evincar
Not God, Grodd

Quote:
So you're saying that losing a physically dominant scoring winger who has scored 54 and 55 goals in the two most recent seasons and has 190 in 332 in his five-year career, and is coming off of a 111-point season (after finishing second with 123 the year before).

A player who (at the time of the injury) has 71 playoff points in 56 career playoff games?

That's not a player who might make a difference in a Game 7?

Riiiiight.
But he was injured DURING Game 7 not before. And yeah no Turgeon for the Isles, so there's no real argument here.

Old
05-11-2013, 05:15 AM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
1999 and 2006 sens?
With regards to the 2006 Sens (and something I've been thinking while reading this thread), I feel it's not really "choking" if the team still legitimately outplayed the other team. IIRC, the Sens got around 60% of the shots in that series, and pretty badly outplayed Buffalo. The difference was Emery letting in everything and Miller playing excellent.

With the amount of variance that exists over the sample size of a series, I find it difficult to claim a team "choked" without going into a greater level of analysis. If a team got legitimately outplayed by a poorer opponent, then yeah. But just getting stoned by a hot goalie? Having the pucks not bounce your way? Having your own goalie just be a sieve? I find it hard to call that "choking."

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWO View Post
The two teams weren't that far apart in talent since the Canes had Staal and Ward playing great hockey, but yeah as far as a turn of events goes that was just downright criminal to lose like that. Talk about swinging the pendulum the other way. You would think you'd play a little conservative just after a team tied the game up. I'm not a Jersey fan so I enjoyed this turn of events, but wow, that was just really a choke job in a single game for sure.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Evincar
Not God, Grodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
With regards to the 2006 Sens (and something I've been thinking while reading this thread), I feel it's not really "choking" if the team still legitimately outplayed the other team. IIRC, the Sens got around 60% of the shots in that series, and pretty badly outplayed Buffalo. The difference was Emery letting in everything and Miller playing excellent.

With the amount of variance that exists over the sample size of a series, I find it difficult to claim a team "choked" without going into a greater level of analysis. If a team got legitimately outplayed by a poorer opponent, then yeah. But just getting stoned by a hot goalie? Having the pucks not bounce your way? Having your own goalie just be a sieve? I find it hard to call that "choking."
Agreed. 2006 wasnt really a choke. Buffalo had the 5th best record in the league. The Sens probably shouldnt have down 3-0 but losing to a team that has a similar record isnt a choke. And Emery was brutal. Its really Muckler's fault for not getting a veteran goalie at the trade deadline.

But 1999 and 2001...

Old
05-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
They were the underdog though
I think I'm understanding the word "choke" differently from most other posters here. I'm using it to mean "team that was in a commanding position in a series and lost it" while a lot of posters are using it to mean "team that on paper was substantially superior to their opponents, and lost".

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Sentinel

96 Wings loss was epic. 62 regular season wins, 3-0 up on St. Louis in the second round... and then it just unraveled. It's as if the whole team stopped caring all of a sudden. Yzerman OT heroics saved the team's face, but the Avs were next. There's little doubt in my mind that had Detroit finished the Blues in 4, they would have had far easier time with Colorado in the next round.

94 was pretty bad too, but then again, it was Larionov / Makarov / Irbe... hardly a poor roster. 99 loss stung big time because Wings were up 2-0 on the Avs and they had everything going. Then Ranford ****ted the bed. In 01 after they blew that 3-0 lead in the 3rd period, I was so disgusted, I didn't even care anymore.

But, ultimately, the biggest chokejob of all times is known as "Miracle on Ice." AINEC.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:32 PM
pdd

Quote:
But he was injured DURING Game 7 not before. And yeah no Turgeon for the Isles, so there's no real argument here.
What happens if he's not injured, though?

Remember, this is a guy who had 28 and 33 points in the playoffs the previous two seasons.

The injury was five minutes into the game; there were no goals at that point.

The final game score was 4-3 in OT.

Is a healthy Kevin Stevens and a non-shortened bench worth an extra goal in regulation? I say probably.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:36 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
96 Wings loss was epic. 62 regular season wins, 3-0 up on St. Louis in the second round... and then it just unraveled. It's as if the whole team stopped caring all of a sudden. Yzerman OT heroics saved the team's face, but the Avs were next. There's little doubt in my mind that had Detroit finished the Blues in 4, they would have had far easier time with Colorado in the next round.

94 was pretty bad too, but then again, it was Larionov / Makarov / Irbe... hardly a poor roster. 99 loss stung big time because Wings were up 2-0 on the Avs and they had everything going. Then Ranford ****ted the bed. In 01 after they blew that 3-0 lead in the 3rd period, I was so disgusted, I didn't even care anymore.

But, ultimately, the biggest chokejob of all times is known as "Miracle on Ice." AINEC.
Unless hockeyreference.com is wrong, the Wings were up 2-0 and then lost 3 straight and had to win the last 2, they weren't up 3-0.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/team...996_games.html

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Evincar
Not God, Grodd

Quote:
What happens if he's not injured, though?

Remember, this is a guy who had 28 and 33 points in the playoffs the previous two seasons.

The injury was five minutes into the game; there were no goals at that point.

The final game score was 4-3 in OT.

Is a healthy Kevin Stevens and a non-shortened bench worth an extra goal in regulation? I say probably.
The point was the series shouldnt have even have gotten to a 7th game considering that Turgeon wasnt even playing...

Yes it hurts to lose Stevens but its not like they lost Lemieux. This was a team that won 2 straight Cups. Im pretty sure they were capable of raising their game after an injury to defeat an inferior team.