HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brewer/Smith

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Boston_Baked

vCash: 500
Brewer/Smith

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you've heard the rumors from Boston offering a combination of Hal Gill and/or Brian Rolston to acquire Eric Brewer and potentially Jason Smith too. Just interested in thoughts from an Edmonton fan's perspective.

Old
01-02-2004, 07:19 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Baked
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you've heard the rumors from Boston offering a combination of Hal Gill and/or Brian Rolston to acquire Eric Brewer and potentially Jason Smith too. Just interested in thoughts from an Edmonton fan's perspective.
I believe that Rolston is a UFA at the end of the season. If that is the case he is of no interest here. It is very likely that Smith could be on the move if he does not sign a contract by the deadline. For Brewer I think you have to overpay. I know very little about Hal Gill.

Old
01-02-2004, 07:29 AM
Obsessed

Take a pick from this list.

JOE THORNTON BOS C $5,500,000
GLEN MURRAY BOS R $3,850,000
BRIAN ROLSTON BOS R $3,175,000
PATRICE BERGERON BOS C $900,000
SERGEI SAMSONOV BOS L $3,650,000
NICK BOYNTON BOS D $1,550,000
JEFF JILLSON BOS D $1,025,000
DAN MCGILLIS BOS D $3,200,000
P.J. AXELSSON BOS L $1,300,000
HAL GILL BOS D $2,000,000
TRAVIS GREEN BOS C $1,600,000

Old
01-02-2004, 09:11 AM
Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Baked
Hey guys,

I would like that trade. I think Rolston could really help us. He may even be a No.1 centre on this team. Gill's size and physical play could help us too. Frankly, the Oilers are hurting at centre. I don't see Oates being here next year and York is really doing an unbelievable job as a centre. He's a natural right winger who's been shifted to the centre ice roll with the loss of Marchant and Comrie.

However, if it was just Brewer for Rolston, I wouldn't think Lowe would do it. Our defense is quite thin as it is. Plus, if Rolston is unrestricted next year it probably is an unlikely trade. I think it's fair value for Brewer though - definitely. I can't see both Brewer and Smith being traded though.

Old
01-02-2004, 09:23 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Oilers' D is too thin as it is i don't want to see Freguson as the team's 4th defensemen

we all know MacT puts Fregy ahead of semenov, bergeron, and every other oilers defensemen out there not named brewer smith staios

Old
01-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Mizral

Sorry Boston, but Rolston's value would not even hold enough for one of these guys.

Gill is essentially another Malik. Not bad, but he's not a top 3 guy or anything.

I look at it this way:

Smith >> Gill

Brewer (value wise) >>>> Rolston

Seriously underpaying for Boston.

Something more like:

Boynton, Gill, and PJ Axelsson for Brewer, Smith, and a draft pick perhaps

Old
01-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Sorry Boston, but Rolston's value would not even hold enough for one of these guys.

Gill is essentially another Malik. Not bad, but he's not a top 3 guy or anything.

I look at it this way:

Smith >> Gill

Brewer (value wise) >>>> Rolston

Seriously underpaying for Boston.

Something more like:

Boynton, Gill, and PJ Axelsson for Brewer, Smith, and a draft pick perhaps
Name a trade in the history of hockey that has two of a teams top 3 blueliners going the other way.

This is all just crazy talk.

Old
01-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Name a trade in the history of hockey that has two of a teams top 3 blueliners going the other way.

This is all just crazy talk.
Yep, agreed.. I'd look at a deal just involving Smith + maybe Laraque going to Boston for something (maybe Boynton.. ) but certainly not both Smith and Brewer..

Old
01-02-2004, 11:25 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

While Brewer hasn't lived up to the hype, it's not like he sucks. I see no reason to move him, period, unless the Oilers have a chance to get something special. Like, if there's a trade available that can bring in that franchise centerman we're lacking, then get back to me.

Old
01-02-2004, 02:09 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it

vCash: 1072
yes it is rather ridiculous trading our two arguably best defensemen for more forward depth. brewer i dont expect to be traded, smith on the other hand is very enticing for other teams out there.

Old
01-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Just because Brewer hasnt developed into the type of defenseman that he was touted to be on draft day, doesn't mean he is a bust. He is still horse on the blueline, and although there are still some inconsistencies in his game, I dont think we'd realize how much we'd miss him until we seen him playing in another teams jersey. IMO, he is a guy who stays unless a team overpays tremendously. Boston wants him? then they can start with Boynton and Samsonov; we'll through in Laraque and a pick.

Old
01-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Just because Brewer hasnt developed into the type of defenseman that he was touted to be on draft day, doesn't mean he is a bust. He is still horse on the blueline, and although there are still some inconsistencies in his game, I dont think we'd realize how much we'd miss him until we seen him playing in another teams jersey. IMO, he is a guy who stays unless a team overpays tremendously. Boston wants him? then they can start with Boynton and Samsonov; we'll through in Laraque and a pick.
SOLD--To the man in the Mickey D's uniform!!!

Old
01-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibbb
SOLD--To the man in the Mickey D's uniform!!!
hehe, unfortunately the Oil couldn't afford them. Boynton is great at 1.5 but Samsonov at 3.6 is waaay out of the Oil's league.

Closed Thread