HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hatcher and Rathje paired together....it's a possibility, maybe even a probability

Old
09-25-2006, 01:24 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Hatcher and Rathje paired together....it's a possibility, maybe even a probability

Now I know that Hitch has officially lost his marbles. I was on philly.com reading an article about the defense and I wanted to include this paragraph that Hitch was talking about Hatcher and Rathje:

"If we could afford to play Rathje and Hatcher together we'd be in great shape," Hitchcock said. "They would be effective, they would be able to play against the other team's best players no matter what type of style it was because they're both positionally sound and smart."

And to think, three more years of that kind of thinking. It's absolutely amazing how people still think the man's a genious and he comes out with that kind of statement. I was really hoping that he was going to embrace speed and skating and really open things up. That statement right there convinces me otherwise and that we're going to be in for another long year in which we score 2 or 3 goals in the first two periods and then we play trap hockey for the final period. Thank you Hitch for effectively killing my hopes for the team this year. One and done again folks, one and done.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

That's ****ing disgusting. Especially the part about them playing the other team's best players. The other team's best players will skate circles around them, I don't give a **** how "positionally sound and smart" they are.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
It'll last about five seconds.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 02:39 PM
malfeasance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
It'll last about five seconds.
During which, the Sabres will draw 3 penalties and score four goals.

malfeasance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Jester

honest to god, Hitch and Clarke talk out of their a**es about 90% of the time... why would you get up in a bunch over any quote that came out of him?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Nacho
Special

I see no problems with having these two on the same line, Hatcher has been all over the ice.

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 02:42 PM
NJFlyer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
honest to god, Hitch and Clarke talk out of their a**es about 90% of the time... why would you get up in a bunch over any quote that came out of him?
Exactly! You can't take anything either one of them says at face value.

NJFlyer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 03:49 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I love it - the Hitch brigade will be out in full force soon to protect the fat man from his own foot in the mouth comments.

I'll tell you why I get upset with the coach - because Hitch will do something like that. And no matter how bad they stink it up, he'll continue to let them play together because: A) he's convinced that they can play together and B) if they stink, he'll let them try to play out of any funk they might be in. They'll be given more of an opportunity to play together than say the CCR line. And while Hitch will never admit his veteran bias, it's clearly written all over the walls. Veterans get more of a free ride in Philadelphia than talented youngsters.

You should read the rest of the article. Hitch talks about how he only has two defensemen that can play 20+ minutes a night (Hatcher and Rathje) and that he needs other defensemen to do the same. I obviously musn't be watching the same team as him, but I also thought Pitkanen was 20+ minute guy and Meyer was the same. Do you not see it? Do you not see his blatant veteran bias? And you're telling me you'd be comfortable with playing Rathje and Hatcher 20+ minutes a night? I don't know about you, but I'd rather someone fire four ounces of lead in behind the ears of Hatcher and Rathje, but that's not going to happen. With that being said though, their ice time should be limited and Hitch should let the youngsters loose. It's not as if we're a Stanley Cup contending team anyways.......

EDIT: I thought I would add in the next two paragraphs after Hitch's comment about playing Hatcher and Rathje together. It just goes to show how little confidence he has in the defense after Hatcher and Rathje.....and people think this guy is a good coach....what a joke.

"But we're not in that position yet. You've got to be able to have four guys that can carry big minutes. Then your third pair, that's the decision we're making. Do we put a guy that tilts toward the power play [Jonsson]? We're still looking at Baumgartner to see how much ice time he can carry. We're looking at Picard, we're looking at Freddy, we're looking at Gauthier."

"We know the eight or nine guys looking for spots, but we're still looking at who can carry what responsibility and I can tell you we're not 100 percent sure yet"

Thank you coach for having confidence in the young players like Meyer, Pitkanen and Jonsson. Thank you for your public addressing that only Hatcher and Rathje you have confidence in. You really know how to inspire confidence in your players and you really know how to build them up. But, that's what a good coach does, right?

Last edited by BobbyClarkeFan16: 09-25-2006 at 03:59 PM.
BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I love it - the Hitch brigade will be out in full force soon to protect the fat man from his own foot in the mouth comments.

I'll tell you why I get upset with the coach - because Hitch will do something like that. And no matter how bad they stink it up, he'll continue to let them play together because: A) he's convinced that they can play together and B) if they stink, he'll let them try to play out of any funk they might be in. They'll be given more of an opportunity to play together than say the CCR line. And while Hitch will never admit his veteran bias, it's clearly written all over the walls. Veterans get more of a free ride in Philadelphia than talented youngsters.

You should read the rest of the article. Hitch talks about how he only has two defensemen that can play 20+ minutes a night (Hatcher and Rathje) and that he needs other defensemen to do the same. I obviously musn't be watching the same team as him, but I also thought Pitkanen was 20+ minute guy and Meyer was the same. Do you not see it? Do you not see his blatant veteran bias? And you're telling me you'd be comfortable with playing Rathje and Hatcher 20+ minutes a night? I don't know about you, but I'd rather someone fire four ounces of lead in behind the ears of Hatcher and Rathje, but that's not going to happen. With that being said though, their ice time should be limited and Hitch should let the youngsters loose. It's not as if we're a Stanley Cup contending team anyways.......
Pitkanen and Rathje

Hatcher and Meyer probably.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=2947

shocking...

and maybe you need to go back and read that article...

Quote:
Since preseason started, coach Ken Hitchcock has said he is sure about how he will play three veterans: Joni Pitkanen, Mike Rathje and Derian Hatcher. Pitkanen is the big-minute, skating, power-play guy. Rathje and Hatcher are big-minute defensive defensemen.

Old
09-25-2006, 04:21 PM
bungle
Casual Observer

It also says in that article that Downie and Eager both got sent back down yesterday.

I know this is the "new" NHL and all, but is Mike Richards really going to be the only Flyer who can drop the gloves this season?

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0flyers View Post
It also says in that article that Downie and Eager both got sent back down yesterday.

I know this is the "new" NHL and all, but is Mike Richards really going to be the only Flyer who can drop the gloves this season?
one would hope that Eager will be the first call up... was really hoping that he would be on this team.

Old
09-25-2006, 06:31 PM
BringBackStevens

read this it puts pretty much all your worries away
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=2947

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 06:43 PM
RoDu

Quote:

EDIT: I thought I would add in the next two paragraphs after Hitch's comment about playing Hatcher and Rathje together. It just goes to show how little confidence he has in the defense after Hatcher and Rathje.....and people think this guy is a good coach....what a joke.

"But we're not in that position yet. You've got to be able to have four guys that can carry big minutes. Then your third pair, that's the decision we're making. Do we put a guy that tilts toward the power play [Jonsson]? We're still looking at Baumgartner to see how much ice time he can carry. We're looking at Picard, we're looking at Freddy, we're looking at Gauthier."

"We know the eight or nine guys looking for spots, but we're still looking at who can carry what responsibility and I can tell you we're not 100 percent sure yet"

Thank you coach for having confidence in the young players like Meyer, Pitkanen and Jonsson. Thank you for your public addressing that only Hatcher and Rathje you have confidence in. You really know how to inspire confidence in your players and you really know how to build them up. But, that's what a good coach does, right?

RoDu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 06:54 PM
paxtang

Quote:
one would hope that Eager will be the first call up... was really hoping that he would be on this team.
Softest.Flyers.Team.Ever.

Thank god for the Phantoms.

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 07:12 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang View Post
Softest.Flyers.Team.Ever.

Thank god for the Phantoms.
honestly who cares. that style of play is all but the past. i like eager a lot and want him in the lineup but not because it makes us soft without him.

Old
09-25-2006, 07:16 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
honestly who cares. that style of play is all but the past. i like eager a lot and want him in the lineup but not because it makes us soft without him.
Who cares? Physical play is an asset to the team. Forget fighting, if that makes you feel better.

We have no consistent physical presence in our forwards.

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 07:22 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang View Post
Who cares? Physical play is an asset to the team. Forget fighting, if that makes you feel better.

We have no consistent physical presence in our forwards.
Ok? do you really think eager hitting a couple of guys in a game is going to mysteriously grind the other team down or something?

Old
09-25-2006, 07:32 PM
John Flyers Fan

I do think Eager's presence is needed on the 4th line.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Ok? do you really think eager hitting a couple of guys in a game is going to mysteriously grind the other team down or something?
The injuries caused by Eager's forechecking are a bonus. It's the jump that our players get from watching him that we need so desperately.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
Lets see...

Carolina... No, definitely not a "build you up" in the papers type of coach.

Tampa Bay... Torts is actually impressively harsh to his players in the paper... and you could go so far as to say he publicly embarassed Vinny (which worked).

Devs... Burns, not a softy.

Wings... Bowman commanded so much respect and they were all 35, so hard to really work with him.

Avs... Hartley doesn't shy away from criticism.

Devs... Robinson, definite players coach... however, wasn't really letting Gomez and co. fly last time around.

Dallas... Hitch.

coddling young players is completley overrated. i think ripping players publicly is going too far and Hitch almost never is guilty of that, but saying his comments above are somehow detrimental to the young guys -- especially when all he does is rave about Pitkanen, and Jonsson has been getting nothing but praise at camp as well -- is ridiculous. these are big boys they should be able to handle Hitch saying some good things about Vets.

not to mention what is arguably the most important point: Rathje and Hatcher are ON this team... they will be on this team no matter what. they are the players that Hitch has to work with and he needs THEIR confidence up. what have we and they been hearing all offseason? "Rathje and Hatcher cannot play in the new NHL." you want the young guys to feel good about themselves? i would bet you money that Meyer is feeling great about himself after last year and is stoked about being in here again... i'm sure Pitkanen doesn't care one bit because he's clearly the best defensemen on this squad. if you take anything from those comments, you take the fact that Gauthier and Baumgartner should maybe not be feeling so comfy about their position with this club right now.

Old
09-25-2006, 09:52 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
The injuries caused by Eager's forechecking are a bonus. It's the jump that our players get from watching him that we need so desperately.
i really dont think these guys need extra motivation to go out and perform, especially something like ben eager hitting someone.

i look at it this way. with kapanen and robitaille assured 4th line duties this season there is essentially 1 spot being competed for, although 14 forwards may be carried by the team. If eager didnt make this 1 spot (which he didnt) then he is better off playing in the AHL.

Although i like Eager and think he could be very effective this season, hitch/clarke's thinking is probably from a utility stand point. The last regular spot will probably be filled by murray who can kill penalties. Eager wont do much if any PK with the big boys so using murray here instead makes a lot of sense in keeping an extra player from our top 6 off the PK and fresh for even strength and PPP time.

Old
09-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Yes. Physicality brings emotion and intensity, it leads by example. Physical play is still a part of hockey. "The New NHL" is still hockey, it's not figure skating.

Didn't Hatcher used to be willing to drop the gloves? We're going to need that this year I think. We can't have Richards taking everyone on.

Does Calder fight? He seems like a scrappy guy. Even if they lose their fights, you still need someone to drop the gloves or get in peoples' faces just to say that the team isn't a bunch of pushovers and to stand up for one another if something should go down.

The way Richie would go after guys for "revenge" last year was great for building team unity. The way he stuck up for Umberger, the way he dropped the gloves with Asham in that come-from-behind win over the Islanders, are things that really stand out in my mind as reasons why fighting and SOME toughness is still important.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 08:35 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

If you guys want to speed up this supposed line, I came up with a good idea.

Dump Rathje and sign this guy:

Not Rocky himself, the statue. He's a harder hitter, and I'm SURE he can move a LOT faster than Rathje.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Stonehands77

I would love to respond to this, but it's just so completely over the top I don't know how. But since I'm a sucker, I'll try anyway. First thing: BCF16, READ THE FREAKING ARTICLES. He never trashes on Pitkanen, most definitely. Pitkanen is the one great known thing he has, and the articles always mention him as the big minute, puck moving, offensively minded D-man for the team. Meyer gets mentioned as most likely being the 4th dman, and Jonsson has been the surprise of camp. Everything I've read about him has been glowing, from the coach, the GM, the writers, everyone. So I have no idea what you're complaining about there.

Second, nothing in that quoted section says Hitchcock is actually going to do this. Nothing. The first four words indicate, if you know the English language at all, that he's discussing a hypothetical. "IF WE COULD AFFORD..." does not mean "I'm going to play them together", it means "If I thought I could do this, it would be great." He then goes on to explain why he thinks it would be good. And he has a decent point. Rathje is a defensive defensman. He'll never win a fastest skater competition, but at the start of last season, before his hip exploded, he did a very solid job. Hatcher, when he was healthy, also played well for a solid 25-30 games. If those two were completely healthy and everything fell into place, of course he'd love to have these two out there. It would be a solid defensive pairing, since as Hitch mentions they're smart, usually positionally sound players who could handle the other teams first line players. I don't necessarily agree with him (they don't have enough speed, I think, to play together as a pairing and deal with the really speedy forwards), but I understand his thinking. And let's be honest, if Hitch could play those two together and not have any worries, this team would be set. It would mean they'd be skating well, completely healthy, and able to shoulder a decent number of minutes. These are good things, people. We will all be very happy if Rathje and Hatcher can play like that all season.

Meh, this whole rant is based on a preconceived notion of what Hitch wants, and not reality. Here's the reality: The Flyers d corps will consist of Pitkanen, Hatcher, Rathje, Meyers, and three of Baumgartner, Jonsson, Gauthier, and Jones. Considering that this means that almost definitely half the defensive corps will be on the young side of 28, I fail to see how the kids are not being appreciated. Pitkanen is the star #1 dman on this team, and that has never been in doubt. Jonsson/Meyers will get PP time, and significant amounts of it, apparently, and Gauthier might not even make the team (which should please people who think he sucks or is not what the Flyers need right now). So really, this is a non-event. And I'm not even touching the "lack of toughness" debate.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 09:57 AM
ArchieIsGod

excellent post Stonehands

ArchieIsGod is online now   Reply With Quote