HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who's to stay and who's to leave?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2013, 12:41 AM
  #76
HABsurde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Goal

We have Budaj sign so he stay's as the backup

Price, of course he stays, even his hardest defender must agree that he didn't have the greatest season... and even then, we finished 2nd in the east! He needs to be monitered closely as i'm not totally sold on him having the mental toughness to be the goalie he could be in Montréal, but i'm not going to throw him Under the bridge just yet....

DEFENSE

ALL HAIL SUBBAN, MT needs to get it now and use him more next year, he should not get Under 23 minutes a game, all the games unless in blowout for or against us.

Markov: The guy is 34, turning 35 next december, he played in 09-10, 45 games, in 10-11, 7 games and in 11-12, 13 games, that 65 games in three season, this year, with the Habs and the KHL, he played 74 games.... Can we give the guy a break? If we put him on a second pairing, with lots of powerplay at a max of 20 minutes a game in the regular season.... he'll do OK...

GORGES: i'm worried about his season, but i'm willing to give him another year, is career with us deserves that. And i think he's not the most talented guy, so lock-out hurt him a little more as he probably didn't do much to stay in optimum shape...

DIAZ: was okay before the concussion, didn't get back at top level, If Beaulieu progresses well enough in training camp, he could be a good trade bait, but need to stay for now

EMELIN: we missed his play when he got injured, but more, we missed what he represents in other teams head.... a tough, physical hitting defenseman. I'm almost certain that if he would have not gotten injured, the end of the season would have been different for the Habs.

BOUILLON: Frankie B is sign for another season, he will be here next year, but if he plays 82 games and if he plays more than 15 minutes a game, we are in trouble, he his the perfect depth player but should not be more than that....

TINORDI: Will play in Montreal next year, but maybe not all year....

WEBER: Like Yannick, but we have better solution coming for depth, so we should be nice and trade him at the draft for a pick

KABERLE: Enjoy retirement and the nice severance package....

FORWARD

DD: Let's start with the most hated Hab: We sign him to a four years extension, was it the wisest move, maybe not, but in his sophmore season in the NHL (This year) he was not that good, but like Price and Gorges, i will not fully judge him on this season... but he shall remain Under surveillance and he might need to consider moving on the wings.....

PACIORETTY: Got injured or sick more than once this year, did not play his best hockey but still finish the team top scorer, he'll be fine.

GALLAGHER: He ends his season with at least 85 games Under his belt (AHL + NHL, not counting exhibition with Hamilton) He's a keeper, but coaches will need to monitor his time on the ice in the future cause the way he plays, i doubt he can maintain an 82 game Schedule at that level every year

GALCHENYUK: Next year he will probably alternate again on the wing and at center (If Eller, Plekanec, and DD prove's in camp that they are up to the task...) but sooner than later, he will be the HABS number one center for a long time

ELLER: Came out of his shell this year, i hope they get it that he should remain at center, on the second or third, depending of Galchenyuk's role next year.... future looks bright.

BOURQUE: Before the concussion was playing well enough to garantee his place on the top 2 lines. and he did well in the playoffs, he's a keeper....

GIONTA: One year left, and you don't trade your captain, unless your out of playoff contention at the trade deadline, BUT, may need to accept a new role next year, maybe on the third line

PLEKANEC: People who talks about trading him don't realize how a complete player he his, the guy as 84 games played this year, so he was a little wear down by the end of the year. In the near future, he will be the Habs 3 line center, doing defensive mission, some offense and he will be healthier by the end of the season when the load his more evenly split between him, Eller and Gally.

RYDER: Unless he comes cheap, we are not going to see him back... We could use his offense, but can't handle is defensive weakness and his streaky play.... finally was not much better the second time around.....

PRUST: All heart and soul, needs help on the toughness front so he can spent an 82 game season in one piece, but definetly and important part of the this on the 3rd or 4th line.

THE REST OF THE BUNCH

MOEN: If Bergevin can onload him that would be sweet, has he did nothing for us this season....

WHITE: I like Ryan, as depth, unless we get a better option on the FA Market, i'd like him back

ARMSTRONG: Good guy in the room, but we need to move on, bye bye

HALPERN: A right centerman that his good on face off, if he understand that he might not play more than 40 games and come at minimum wage, i think i'd take him back.

DUMONT: Could learn the rope with Halpern or be on the list for 4th line center, part of the future me think

NOKELAINEN: Bye bye....

IMMEDIATE FUTURE
We might see some games next year from Beaulieu, Kristo, Leblanc, Bournival, Pateryn, Ellis, but none of these guys should be a regular.......

DRAFT
The main point his to get better, in front, in the back everywhere, and if these guys are tough good, but as soon as they are bigger than what we usually get, that will be okay

possible prospect in the first 2 rounds that could feel our needs

In no particular order and i will sure be missing some names

John Hayden
Anthony Mantha
Dillon Heatherington
Adam Erne
Michael mcCarron
Samuel Morin
Justin Bailey
Emile Poirier
Michael Downing
Jacob de la Rose
Carl Dahlstrom

I think that next year is still a work in progress, but the year after should be the beginning of our window of opportunity....

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:57 AM
  #77
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,118
vCash: 500
Most people in this thread posted their fantasies for the next season. The reality is: David Desharnais, Josh Gorges & Brian Gionta, among others, will be opening the 2013-14 season with the Montreal Canadiens. It's almost impossible to predict a major transaction, so I will keep it simple (and optimistic):

In the lineup:

Mike Blunden - RFA. I believe he will be sign, but in the same role as last year: top-6 in the AHL
Michael Bournival - Long shot to make the squad, one of the many that will fight for a spot on our last forward line.
Rene Bourque - Was better in 2012-13 than the year before. Partial NTC, decent cap hit, good potential. He's part of our lineup
David Desharnais - A lot of people want to see him gone. I disagree. But opinion apart, Desharnais just sign a 4-years extension with the Canadiens. Do anyone think Bergevin will trade Desharnais, a French-Canadien whom he just signed? Not happening. I do hope that Michel Therrien and his crew start the transition of playing him on the wing. With Plekanec, Galchenyuk & Eller in the fold, the future of Desharnais doesn't lie at the centre position.
Gabriel Dumont - A good, young bottom-6 forward. He will stay in the NHL, although he will have to share ice-time and will be benched once in a while.
Lars Eller - Eclosion season for Eller. A favourite of mine, I want him to play at the centre position all season long.
Alex Galchenyuk - Our future elite centre. Play him exclusively on C
Brendan Gallagher - An amazing bright spot on this team.
Brian Gionta - Our captain. One more year at 5M. NTC. Although not essential at our success, he's not moving.
Louis Leblanc - Unlikely, but if he can regain his form, he could slip on our 4th line, bringing hard work and decent defensive skills. I'm pessimistic about him though.
Jeff Halpern - Showed me enough that I want him re-sign for another year. With our lack of face-off skills, he would fit well. Definitely someone that could be let go though, especially if the organization is confident with Bournival/Leblanc. He will share ice-time with Dumont, Moen and White
Travis Moen - Shaky season, but still sign for 3 more years. While he showed sign of slowing down, I don't think it's worth trading him for a pick and I would be extremely surprise to see him waive. He will start the year on the bottom-6.
Max Pacioretty - our #1 LW
Tomas Plekanec - I would love to see Plekanec centering our 2nd line, while acquiring an elite #1 centre (ala Getzlaf, Toews). The reality is: almost none are available, and the price would be exuberant. I think Plekanec will still play the role of our #1 pivot, until Galchenyuk is ready to take the torch.
Brendan Prust - Worth every penny of his 10 millions/4 years contract. A great 3rd liner with grit and skills. A heart&soul guy who gives it all on the ice
Ryan White - A good bottom-6 forwards that play with heart and grit. Need to kee phis head straight. Dime-a-dozen player, but I like him in his role.

Nathan Beaulieu - Will see NHL time next season, but as a call-up only IMO. Still need a full-time season in the AHL IMO.
Francis Bouillon - Signed a one-year extension. No trade value. Never gonna get waived. With that in mind, I like him as a #6/#7 defenceman with heart and experience. I would guess his last season in the NHL though.
Raphael Diaz - Had a great season, but the playoffs were a bit more difficult for him. Did gain good experience and he's fairly young. At a time where we had to choose between Weber and Diaz, he step up and earn his regular spot on this team. I definitely have him pencilled in the lineup, and we will see if he can play with more consistency in 2013-14.
Alexei Emelin - Hopefully his recovery will be fine. We need him to ante up his play in 2013-14, like he did the year before.
Josh Gorges - Not a good season for Gorges, but people are so harsh on him. One of the true heart&soul player on this team, I truly believe he will rebound. He obviously stay.
Andrei Markov - Another year to his contract. Partial NTC. He definitely start the season in Montreal and I believe will play excellent hockey.
P.K. Subban - Norris candidate. Give him whatever money he wants. He will own Montreal city very soon.
Jarret Tinordi - I'm on the fence on him. Obviously, I don't wanna him trade, and he will be an important part of our future on defence, but it would be my priority in the offseason to find a physical and reliable top-4 defenceman for this team. If we can obtain one, I would like to see Tinordi back in Hamilton, and be our #1 call up. If not, he shown enough to be a reliable bottom pairing defenceman.

Carey Price - Don't need to say much. Our #1 goaltender for the present and future who's sign until 2018.
Peter Budaj - Terrible in the playoffs, but Budaj is one of the most competent backup in the league, the perfect teammate, signed for the next few years. He stay, obviously.

On the move:

Colby Armstrong - We took a gamble on this guy, and it didn't pan out. Showed heart, but not enough skills to play in the NHL. A dime-a-dozen player, that can easily be replace by a player in our farm.
Petteri Nokelainen - A big fan of his, but being hurt all year will realistically not earn him a contract over Jeff Halpern. Good luck finding an NHL spot somewhere else, but perhaps he will return to Europe.
Michael Ryder - I would prefer the Montreal Canadiens going another direction than signing the one-dimensional Ryder. He played more than decent for us this season, but good luck with another squad.

David Drewiske - He was worth a shot, didn't work out. Good luck somewhere else.
Tomas Kaberle - One more year at 4.25M, but I believe he will be buyout. No reason to keep him around. Some NHL team will pick him up and sign him cheap.
Yannick Weber - RFA. Weber regressed this year, and Therrien didn't show he was incline to play him. Did he even deserve it? Weber do have NHL potential, but I think his time is over with the Montreal Canadiens. He will be traded for a low-round pick in either 2013 or 2014.


Welcome to Montreal:

The 2013-14 salary cap hasn't been decided yet. However, we don't have much cap space, even with the buyout of Tomas Kaberle. It would be nice to add a top-6 forward, but I believe the priority should be a strong top-4 defenceman. I would also like the acquisition of another good bottom-6 forwards.

Robyn Regehr or Rob Scuderi - Regehr or Scuderi or two players I would like to see play with either Subban or Markov. I believe Regehr would cost more, and would probably ask for multi-years contract, while Scuderi would ask for less money on a two-years contract. I don't want to sign long term any of the defenceman available on the market. Two-years, and then re-evaluate. We have so many young and talented defenceman that are progressing well. Although he's not as good as when he played in Calgary, I would offer 8M/2 years or 11M/3 years to Regehr. Would it be enough? If not, try Scuderi for less.

Cal Clutterbuck - RFA - via trade. Cal Clutterbuck is a favourite of mine. A crash-and-bang forward with speed and skills. Not the most available player, but I would be ready to overpay from this type of player. I would throw one of our 2nd round pick + a prospect. Would Minnesota bite? Clutterbuck would mesh very well with Desharnais & Eller IMO. I would guess he would get a rasie from 1.4M to 2.0M-to-2.4M on a multi-year contract.


2013-14 Lineup:

Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Brian Gionta
Rene Bourque - Alex Galchenyuk - Brendan Gallagher
David Desharnais - Lars Eller - Cal Clutterbuck
Travis Moen - Brendan Prust - Ryan White
Gabriel Dumont
Jeff Halpern


PK Subban - Robyn Regehr
Andrei Markov - Alex Emelin
Josh Gorges - Raphael Diaz
Francis Bouillon

Carey Price
Peter Budaj

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:15 AM
  #78
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Moen outplayed Prust in the playoffs.
Prust was playing with one shoulder.

Going:

1.Moen. Replaced by young tough as nails 4th line W who fights and actually cares, and to support Prust.
2. Halpern. Replaced by Dumont.
3. Ryder. Replaced by one other tough big 2-3rd line winger who can score 15-20. This is Bergy's biggest challenge.
4. Kaberle: Bought out.
5. Weber: Traded for a third.

Incoming:

2 UFA or trade tough young wingers to replace Moen and Ryder.
1 Tough big UFA or trade top 6 D man to support Emelin and Tinordi.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:24 AM
  #79
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Ya that worked well for the team during the 90s. Draft big if there is actual skating ability and some talent to go with that size. If you don't you end up with the likes of Terry Ryan, Turner Stevenson, Brad Brown, Lindsay Vallis, Jason Ward, Eric Chouinard, Brent Bilodeau etc.
BINGO!

Trade for or UFA catch the big winger we need. The guys we draft this year will not be in the cup window for 3 years, if ever, and by then, size may not be an issue.

Always go for speed and talent first 2 rounds, and avoid total midgets. On D, go for size, yes, but with speed and skill. For forwards, the draft is for talent and speed, not size, unless talent and size falls in your lap, which it won't , drafting 23rd.

Tough guys can be drafted rounds 4 and 5 if desired, unless there's a Zetterberg lurking there.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:29 AM
  #80
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You can't possibly be serious? Either you didn't watch the playoffs or have no clue about hockey.



Tinordi has a bright future but he was a liability out there the last 2 games. Needs to start next year in hamilton.
Tiny was fine under enormous pressure, called up last minute. What did you expect? He's what? 20? He will start with Habs next year. I am super pleased with his progress, and he will be 10 pounds heavier in October.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:06 AM
  #81
24get
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 50
I really liked the two extensive post that preceeded, full of wisdom.

We need to understand that we have the team in place for the next year.
There will be one or two players added but this is only the first part of a multi-year plan.

Given the current situation and the opposition, we will not be a true SC contender before two years.
Next season will help to establish us further.
In two years, we have Plek, Galchenyuk, Pac, Gallagher, Eller, Bourque and DD to build a top-9.
On defense, we have Subban, Gorges, Tinordi, Beaulieu to start a top-6.

We need two more for the top-9 with: Prust, Leblanc (let's see next season), Bournival, Hudon, Dumont, Kristo, Collberg, Bozon.
We need two more for top-6 D: Pateryn, Nygren, Dietz, Ellis, Bennett.

There is plenty of talent in the pipeline and with the drafts picks we will have this season, we should be OK.

Those who are looking for size must understand that there are two paths available to us:
- Hiring one UFA per year that fits our needs;
- Trading some of our top-9 players for assets we need.

Looking at our situation, I feel that we are pretty well positioned.
We do need to has some size. If it does not come from our prospects, we will find the missing pieces in the UFA market.

Let's see how this summer pans out.
For now, our conclusion should be:
- We went from a team who could barely make the PO to a team who is going to be a true top-4 contender.

We need two years to be a true SC contender. Let's give at least 30 months to see what MB can do.

24get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:17 AM
  #82
24get
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Tiny was fine under enormous pressure, called up last minute. What did you expect? He's what? 20? He will start with Habs next year. I am super pleased with his progress, and he will be 10 pounds heavier in October.
Seems he is already 218 lbs. I am not so rushed to see him get to the weight he will have at 23-25 years old (should be between 230 and 240).

I prefer him to keep his mobility and speed. A d-men with his size with mobility is exceptional.
For now, he can handle himself in the crease and on the boards.

What I want him to get is more defensive awareness so he does the right move most of the times. In the PO, we have seen that he needs to learn more. Hopefully, 20-40 games in NHL (at least) should help him get better.

I love the flashes that JT is giving us on offense but we should wait.
He should also improve his slap shot but he is already good to support the offense.

24get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:08 AM
  #83
Galchenyuk4habs
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk4habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Seems he is already 218 lbs. I am not so rushed to see him get to the weight he will have at 23-25 years old (should be between 230 and 240).

I prefer him to keep his mobility and speed. A d-men with his size with mobility is exceptional.
For now, he can handle himself in the crease and on the boards.

What I want him to get is more defensive awareness so he does the right move most of the times. In the PO, we have seen that he needs to learn more. Hopefully, 20-40 games in NHL (at least) should help him get better.

I love the flashes that JT is giving us on offense but we should wait.
He should also improve his slap shot but he is already good to support the offense.
He is listed at 6'6 205lbs on the Habs website, it seems the bulldogs add a little size to their players.

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:10 AM
  #84
Physical HABuse
Registered User
 
Physical HABuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Moen outplayed Prust in the playoffs.
In what reality?

Physical HABuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:03 PM
  #85
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin
 
AllanMTL46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
Country: Canada
Posts: 627
vCash: 500
Gone for sure

Ryder: will cost too much because of stats, disappears too often, no physical presence
Kaberle: no explanation needed
Armstrong: was a good veteran presence, but we can do without his play
Halpern: liked what he brought to the table late in the season, but guy is done
Weber: get a pick for him somewhere, guy will never succeed here
Drewiske: was a non-factor

Guys I'm ready to fully give them another shot to have the success they can have:

Desharnais: as said, went through sophomore slump, give him another shot even though I'm skeptical
Moen: contract not as bad as some make it look, can maybe bring back what he brought before, lockout was bad for him I think
Gorges: lockout was also bad for him, can still bring something good to the table even though maybe a couple of dollars overpaid
White: we saw in game 2 what he can bring to the table, have to monitor him

Guys I'd like us to chase on the market

David Clarkson
Cal Clutterbuck (even though RFA)
Dustin Penner?

As for goalies, even though some believe it's not looking good for Carey, I think we're set with a soon-to-be elite top-3 goalie imo. Even though I understand he didn't have a great season, I still have full confidence in him. Budaj back there, great backup.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:04 PM
  #86
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin
 
AllanMTL46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
Country: Canada
Posts: 627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical HABuse View Post
In what reality?
It's somewhat true, but Prusty was playing "amoché en tabarslack", like Ron Fournier would say.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 05:25 PM
  #87
hockeyrules123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
Which player would you expect to not come back next season?

Players to leave next season (for ME, THIS IS MY OPINION)

Negatives:
-Moen(Do I really need to explain?)
-Desharnais(Needs to be traded, to small to compete in the playoffs, in a small team anyways)
-Budaj(horrible performance in game 4 and 5, solid in the regular season, would keep if no better options are available)
-Ryder(Can't afford, also small, no character, 1 dimensional, disappeared towards the end)
-Bouillon(solid player, but age and size hurts the habs)
-Armstrong( I'm against the idea of a 4rth liner who can't score, skate, pass, hit, and fight)
-Weber(too small, 1 dimensional)
-Kaberle(buyout)

Players I would call a few GM's and see what their market value is for further evalutions:

-Pacioretty(young player, very talented, but lack of effort and grit is a big question mark going forward, specially in the playoffs, would not trade unless a good offer was proposed)
-Gorges(played solid for the past few years, but hard a difficult season, too soft for a defenceman going forward)
-Diaz( Difficult end of season and playoffs, undersized d-man could hurt the team in the playoffs long-term)
-Price( I KNOW, he's an elite talent blah blah blah, did not show up the last 2 months, never won a playoff round, shades of Fleury and Luongo, would look at market-value)
-Markov(age is really catching up, did bad playoffs towards the end of the season, and in the playoffs, shades of Kaberle)
-White(Always been a fan of him, bad luck this season, would give the kid another go, but is expendable)
-Gionta(age is catching up, not the same player)
-Plekanec(Did show up in the playoffs, but did not produce, solid player but either him or DD has to go, we are too small down the middle and Galchenyuk and Eller are stepping up)

Positives:

-Galchenyuk(exceptionable talent, looked like our best forward in game 4 and towards the end of the season)
-Gallagher(big surprise of the season, looked solid throughout the playoffs)
-Bourque(looked good in the playoffs, hopefully keeps on playing like that)
-Tinordi(played like our 2nd best d-man in the playoffs)
-Subban( did not like his attitude in the playoffs but played well despite having an alright end of the season, lots of room for improvement which is scary)
-Prust(our leader on and off the ice, type of player we needed, and still need more of)
-Eller(played like our 2nd best center for the entire season, is big and strong, still young, lots of room for improvement)

MY line-up for next season (IF I WAS GM AND COACH, THIS IS PURELY MY OPINION)

Bourque-Plekanec-Clarkson
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Clowe-Eller-Gionta(could be replaced)
(insert HW/Prust type of player)-Prust-White(or HW/Prust type of player)

Tinordi-Subban
Markov(expendable)-Emelin
Beaulieu-(physical 6'2+ right handed d-man via trade)

Price
Budaj(Or another backup)
So basically 16 guys out of a team that just finished 2nd in conference?

hockeyrules123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:31 AM
  #88
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 20,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
It's somewhat true, but Prusty was playing "amoché en tabarslack", like Ron Fournier would say.
Yea on his last play, he lost one of his kidney.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:39 AM
  #89
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 20,877
vCash: 500
A lot of players we want to go will not go cause Professional Organisations rarely do a magor cleanings with half the team if they're not all UFAs like Gainey did. Plus Bergevin made of mistake of locking up DD and Bouillon so we're stuck with them. I want Gorges, Markov and Gionta to leave but MB will keep them cause he has the old school mentality of keeping the leadership intact. That's a lot of things to consider. He'll probably keep Plek for the same reason. And Bourque is untradeable.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:51 AM
  #90
Corncob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He'll probably keep Plek for the same reason.
No, he'll keep Plekanec because he's not insane.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:44 AM
  #91
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man
 
MsChanandlerBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
Keep:
Price
Prust
Plekanec
Bourque
Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Eller
Gorges
Subban
Bouillon
Armstrong
Halpern
Tinordi
Emelin

Trade/Let go:
Desharnais
Ryder
Diaz
Markov (unless he is given under 18min/game)
Weber
Kaberle (buy out)
Drewiske
Moen
White (tough call)

Acquire:
Big top 6 winger (Stalberg, Clowe, etc.)
Big physical bottom 6 winger (Clarkson, etc.)
Big physical stay-at-home #5-6 defenseman

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 04:20 AM
  #92
FinnHab
Registered User
 
FinnHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: overseas...
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
Honestly, i want Moen, Kaberle and Desharnais to leave. And Ryder will want too much money.

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:04 AM
  #93
Lshap
Registered User
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Most people in this thread posted their fantasies for the next season. The reality is: David Desharnais, Josh Gorges & Brian Gionta, among others, will be opening the 2013-14 season with the Montreal Canadiens. It's almost impossible to predict a major transaction, so I will keep it simple (and optimistic):

In the lineup:

Mike Blunden - RFA. I believe he will be sign, but in the same role as last year: top-6 in the AHL
Michael Bournival - Long shot to make the squad, one of the many that will fight for a spot on our last forward line.
Rene Bourque - Was better in 2012-13 than the year before. Partial NTC, decent cap hit, good potential. He's part of our lineup
David Desharnais - A lot of people want to see him gone. I disagree. But opinion apart, Desharnais just sign a 4-years extension with the Canadiens. Do anyone think Bergevin will trade Desharnais, a French-Canadien whom he just signed? Not happening. I do hope that Michel Therrien and his crew start the transition of playing him on the wing. With Plekanec, Galchenyuk & Eller in the fold, the future of Desharnais doesn't lie at the centre position.
Gabriel Dumont - A good, young bottom-6 forward. He will stay in the NHL, although he will have to share ice-time and will be benched once in a while.
Lars Eller - Eclosion season for Eller. A favourite of mine, I want him to play at the centre position all season long.
Alex Galchenyuk - Our future elite centre. Play him exclusively on C
Brendan Gallagher - An amazing bright spot on this team.
Brian Gionta - Our captain. One more year at 5M. NTC. Although not essential at our success, he's not moving.
Louis Leblanc - Unlikely, but if he can regain his form, he could slip on our 4th line, bringing hard work and decent defensive skills. I'm pessimistic about him though.
Jeff Halpern - Showed me enough that I want him re-sign for another year. With our lack of face-off skills, he would fit well. Definitely someone that could be let go though, especially if the organization is confident with Bournival/Leblanc. He will share ice-time with Dumont, Moen and White
Travis Moen - Shaky season, but still sign for 3 more years. While he showed sign of slowing down, I don't think it's worth trading him for a pick and I would be extremely surprise to see him waive. He will start the year on the bottom-6.
Max Pacioretty - our #1 LW
Tomas Plekanec - I would love to see Plekanec centering our 2nd line, while acquiring an elite #1 centre (ala Getzlaf, Toews). The reality is: almost none are available, and the price would be exuberant. I think Plekanec will still play the role of our #1 pivot, until Galchenyuk is ready to take the torch.
Brendan Prust - Worth every penny of his 10 millions/4 years contract. A great 3rd liner with grit and skills. A heart&soul guy who gives it all on the ice
Ryan White - A good bottom-6 forwards that play with heart and grit. Need to kee phis head straight. Dime-a-dozen player, but I like him in his role.

Nathan Beaulieu - Will see NHL time next season, but as a call-up only IMO. Still need a full-time season in the AHL IMO.
Francis Bouillon - Signed a one-year extension. No trade value. Never gonna get waived. With that in mind, I like him as a #6/#7 defenceman with heart and experience. I would guess his last season in the NHL though.
Raphael Diaz - Had a great season, but the playoffs were a bit more difficult for him. Did gain good experience and he's fairly young. At a time where we had to choose between Weber and Diaz, he step up and earn his regular spot on this team. I definitely have him pencilled in the lineup, and we will see if he can play with more consistency in 2013-14.
Alexei Emelin - Hopefully his recovery will be fine. We need him to ante up his play in 2013-14, like he did the year before.
Josh Gorges - Not a good season for Gorges, but people are so harsh on him. One of the true heart&soul player on this team, I truly believe he will rebound. He obviously stay.
Andrei Markov - Another year to his contract. Partial NTC. He definitely start the season in Montreal and I believe will play excellent hockey.
P.K. Subban - Norris candidate. Give him whatever money he wants. He will own Montreal city very soon.
Jarret Tinordi - I'm on the fence on him. Obviously, I don't wanna him trade, and he will be an important part of our future on defence, but it would be my priority in the offseason to find a physical and reliable top-4 defenceman for this team. If we can obtain one, I would like to see Tinordi back in Hamilton, and be our #1 call up. If not, he shown enough to be a reliable bottom pairing defenceman.

Carey Price - Don't need to say much. Our #1 goaltender for the present and future who's sign until 2018.
Peter Budaj - Terrible in the playoffs, but Budaj is one of the most competent backup in the league, the perfect teammate, signed for the next few years. He stay, obviously.

On the move:

Colby Armstrong - We took a gamble on this guy, and it didn't pan out. Showed heart, but not enough skills to play in the NHL. A dime-a-dozen player, that can easily be replace by a player in our farm.
Petteri Nokelainen - A big fan of his, but being hurt all year will realistically not earn him a contract over Jeff Halpern. Good luck finding an NHL spot somewhere else, but perhaps he will return to Europe.
Michael Ryder - I would prefer the Montreal Canadiens going another direction than signing the one-dimensional Ryder. He played more than decent for us this season, but good luck with another squad.

David Drewiske - He was worth a shot, didn't work out. Good luck somewhere else.
Tomas Kaberle - One more year at 4.25M, but I believe he will be buyout. No reason to keep him around. Some NHL team will pick him up and sign him cheap.
Yannick Weber - RFA. Weber regressed this year, and Therrien didn't show he was incline to play him. Did he even deserve it? Weber do have NHL potential, but I think his time is over with the Montreal Canadiens. He will be traded for a low-round pick in either 2013 or 2014.


Welcome to Montreal:

The 2013-14 salary cap hasn't been decided yet. However, we don't have much cap space, even with the buyout of Tomas Kaberle. It would be nice to add a top-6 forward, but I believe the priority should be a strong top-4 defenceman. I would also like the acquisition of another good bottom-6 forwards.

Robyn Regehr or Rob Scuderi - Regehr or Scuderi or two players I would like to see play with either Subban or Markov. I believe Regehr would cost more, and would probably ask for multi-years contract, while Scuderi would ask for less money on a two-years contract. I don't want to sign long term any of the defenceman available on the market. Two-years, and then re-evaluate. We have so many young and talented defenceman that are progressing well. Although he's not as good as when he played in Calgary, I would offer 8M/2 years or 11M/3 years to Regehr. Would it be enough? If not, try Scuderi for less.

Cal Clutterbuck - RFA - via trade. Cal Clutterbuck is a favourite of mine. A crash-and-bang forward with speed and skills. Not the most available player, but I would be ready to overpay from this type of player. I would throw one of our 2nd round pick + a prospect. Would Minnesota bite? Clutterbuck would mesh very well with Desharnais & Eller IMO. I would guess he would get a rasie from 1.4M to 2.0M-to-2.4M on a multi-year contract.


2013-14 Lineup:

Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Brian Gionta
Rene Bourque - Alex Galchenyuk - Brendan Gallagher
David Desharnais - Lars Eller - Cal Clutterbuck
Travis Moen - Brendan Prust - Ryan White
Gabriel Dumont
Jeff Halpern


PK Subban - Robyn Regehr
Andrei Markov - Alex Emelin
Josh Gorges - Raphael Diaz
Francis Bouillon

Carey Price
Peter Budaj
I really like this post, because it recognizes that the Habs are much closer to the top than they are to the bottom. It also refuses to get caught up in the melodrama of five playoff games and totally forget the 48 games that preceded them. For that reason, there is absolutely no need for major overhauls.

Yes, added size would be nice. And I love the idea of another big D to complement the size of Tinordi, not to mention the hopeful addition of Beaulieu at some point. Regehr was on my wish list as a good fit, though at 33 he'd have to settle for a max of three years. Clowe might be back on the list if he's healthy and available. If not, a stronger, meaner version of Colby Armstrong.

As to who leaves, it always depends on who the other GMs want. There is no way to predict which key players might be expendable if the right deal came along. None of us could've predicted Bergevin would trade Eric Cole, so almost no one is safe, except...

The Untouchables:

Subban: The Star.
Emelin: Became much smarter and effective on D, along with his physical play. Essential.
Diaz: A huge leap forward last year. Very smart Markov-Lite type player. Works perfectly within the system.
Gorges: Usually solid and a great leader.

Pacioretty: Reliable 1st or 2nd line production.
Plekanec: Leader by example and solid production. Mr. Hab.
Eller: The potential arrived and it was great to watch.
Galchenyuk: The future
Gallagher: The present, the future, the template for the whole frikkin team.
Prust: Mr. Character. Where he goes, success seems to follow.

Price: With all the issues and questions, he's still only 25. More important, the chances of replacing him with anyone better are slim to none.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:18 AM
  #94
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,682
vCash: 500
Who I want out (trade, let go, waivers, whatever):

Moen (Enough. Let's move on, somebody please take him for a pick)
Kaberle (Time to change the face of our defense)
Weber (Time to give the kid his chance...and chance the face of our defense)
Armstrong (incredibly dissapointing for me)
Ryder (From incredibly strong to a big question mark and a dissapointment in the playoffs. I do not give 4 M$ to dissapointments...)
Blunden (Have your chance somewhere else, we'll grab some other big body somewhere else)
Diaz (Only for the reason to change the face of this D. He is a good player that will be serviceable elsewhere. Never be a Mark Streit but then...still serviceable)
Drewiske ( I want my 5th rounder back...)
Gionta (If we want to change the face of the D, we have to change the face of our forwards a little. I'd call New Jersey.....)
Mayer (Small detail...but enough already. Go away and don't come back.)
Nokelainen (Wasn't with us but could still be returning...I don't want)
St-Denis (Time for a chance somewhere else. We will need to pick a vet or 2 for Hamilton though)

2 guys I'm really on the fence with....

Markov and Gorges. Always for the sake of changing the face of our defense. Markov will be going for slower to slowest real soon. Gorges was pretty average this year. Yet, I don't see any team going for Markov, but Gorges? We might actually have a decent return. So Gorges, I'm fine to let go ONLY if the return is good. If not, you keep him....but then it will mean that your D next year will be composed of: Emelin, Subban, Tinordi, Markov, Gorges and Bouillon. Sorry....but we are not improving. Of course a more seasoned Tinordi is an improvement. And Emelin back in the lineup is....but it's still not a tremendous defense.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:28 AM
  #95
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,851
vCash: 500
I remember last summer, a lot of posters were telling me that with Markov returning the team would again become a playoff team, and that the Habs have a better record with Markov in the lineup.

Now, you all want him gone.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:33 AM
  #96
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,048
vCash: 500
We will see how MB reacts based on a semi-full season.

We know for a fact he is going to attempt to get bigger, but we don't know how loyal he will remain with our captain Gionta, supposed "future" captain Gorges, and Markov (who's been here since forever).

We have a tendency to remain loyal and honor the contracts of older vets. We might not re-sign them once UFA but very rare to see them traded, more so if they are considered "locker room" guys or if they played here all their career (Markov).

Now we wil see if MB continues this loyalty based tradition or if decides to turn the page and really shake things up.

If I was a betting man, Markov, Gorges and Gionta will all be back and there is practically no chance they are gone. My 2 cents.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:49 AM
  #97
Lshap
Registered User
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I remember last summer, a lot of posters were telling me that with Markov returning the team would again become a playoff team, and that the Habs have a better record with Markov in the lineup.

Now, you all want him gone.
Welcome to ShortAttentionSpanopolis, where the long-term weather forecast is always whatever the weather is right now.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:49 AM
  #98
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Tiny was fine under enormous pressure, called up last minute. What did you expect? He's what? 20? He will start with Habs next year. I am super pleased with his progress, and he will be 10 pounds heavier in October.
He wasn't "fine" he was a liability. I'm not blaming him, he was just put in a tough situation with Emelin out. I think he needs to start next year in the AHL and keep progressing. There are always injuries so he will get another taste of NHL at some point next year.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:54 AM
  #99
QC
Visionary.
 
QC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7,210
vCash: 500
St Louis seems like a solid dance partner for les Habs.

QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:00 AM
  #100
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I remember last summer, a lot of posters were telling me that with Markov returning the team would again become a playoff team, and that the Habs have a better record with Markov in the lineup.

Now, you all want him gone.
How about we needed some time to see how slow he was really going to be? It's called analysis with more details. Not sure why it's wrong. I'm also sure that 2 weeks after acquiring Ryder, we all wanted to give him a 10-year contract. And now we all want him gone...etc. You have to be patient and need time to analyse. Game day threads doesn't exist to be patient, they exist to vent at the present moment. Then you have threads like taht who exist after seeing things for quite some time. By the way, it's still doesn't mean we're always right...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.