HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Sedin Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRoyal14 View Post
That said, secondary scoring is a problem as well. This whole team is not good enough and that's the simple truth. Issues everywhere.
This.

Saying the Sedins were nowhere near good enough does not mean everybody else was ok - it means the Sedins were nowhere near good enough.

And they weren't.

As weren't a whole whack of other players.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:02 PM
tantalum

vCash: 500
No doubt daniel needs to put the puck in the net more. However, in his defense for 7 SCF games he had a center that was having issues skating (Henrik was hurt from the second round on and obviously so). 2 games he shouldn't have even been playing in all likelihood. No excuse this series though.

But then again it is also somewhat cherry picking of a stat. yes 1 goal in his last 16 or 9 in his last 31. Again likely not enough but including those games becomes the difference between a 5 goal pace and a 24 goal pace for instance.

Or to put it another way...yes in the last 16 he hasn't scored enough. In the previous 16 he scored at a 40 goal pace. He was a huge part of the offense against Chicago and a big part against San Jose. Which really just again illustrates the same thing over and over....the team simply depends far too much on the Sedin line putting up significantly more than a goal a game in the playoffs and well every game. They don't do that then they don't win. In the playoffs you have to be able to withstand power outages to your big name players because it will happen when they go up against someone they simply can't seem to solve. 3 series wins in the last 3 years (all in one year). Against the Hawks the Sedins scored the majority of goals for the cauncks. Against the Preds Kesler was a beast. Against the Sharks the Sedins again stepped up (namely Henrik). Against the bruins everyone was hurt so I have a hard time criticizing too heavily. Someone somewhere has to step up and win some games for the team as well. It can't always be Henrik, Daniel, and Kesler.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:11 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post

1) AV- we saw what the team could do if they were aggressive, carrying pucks into the zone instead of the passive tip in from center bs we have been seeing for a while. Your offensive players can't produce playing like this. Also something I hope people realize...our offence when we led the league in scoring wasn't because our forwards were better. It was because our defence was so active, it honestly causes so much confusion when they get involved in the cycle or creep in back door. This is what opened up so much room for the twins and co. It's the biggest change this team has made the last 3 seasons, getting away from that.

2) Officiating. No two ways around it. For the people crying about Torres being let go--> you do ****ing realize if he was here he would be in the penalty box all game right? ( if not suspended) Daniel ****ing Sedin got a boarding penalty on a shoulder to shoulder hit in OT for **** sakes. Yeah the pk sucked, but it's way too hard to play when you are getting boned as bad as we were. Not only does it cause you to be shorthanded so much, it changes how you approach the game.
Great points, but you can't do too much about #2.

Except - changing #1 will really help us because the team will be doing things that are more likely to draw penalties. When you play the passive game we were, you are mostly chasing the play or trying to break even - that's when you take more penalties, not when you are attacking.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:23 PM
StringerBell

My biggest gripe with the Sedins is that they can't create their own shots, and when they get an opportunity from 20+ feet they can't shoot it dangerously. Send them to Ryan Kesler's basement for the summer.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
My biggest gripe with the Sedins is that they can't create their own shots, and when they get an opportunity from 20+ feet they can't shoot it dangerously. Send them to Ryan Kesler's basement for the summer.
I could see that ending up something like with Clooney's character in Burn After Reading, ie not well.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:20 AM
Lindt

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
When was the last time one of Kesler's patented wresters from just inside the blueline went in? That's the last thing we want the Sedins to be doing. Kesler may have a dangerous shot but it's been figured out so it hardly ever reaches the net.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:22 AM
Derp Kassian

Sedins are too old to be trying to figure out new stuff they are what they are and need a revamp of the lineup around them that doesn't get shutdown

Old
05-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Assuming that the PP woes were not a direct result of a sub-par year for the twins, and rather some incompetent coaching, is it safe to assume that Henrik could have picked up 5 more points over the course of the shortened season? He's a top 10 scorer if that's the case. Top 5 if he added 10. How many points would he have picked up feeding a shoot-first point man with a bomb for a shot (if only they had someone like that!)?

I know, coulda woulda shoulda. But the death of the twins has been greatly exaggerated.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:50 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I disagree strongly that they played solidly game in and game out. After every game people had been complaining about how invisible the Sedins had been, so to look back now and say they played solid is really ignoring how they actually played and just saying they were solid because anything less and we'd actually have to do something to address it.

Also that's essentially the same team that we had this year. I'm not sure why you would want that. The team proved it's not good enough, so bringing it back for another shot is really just wasting another year.
You're not answering my main comments. I said they were not the only problem. They were simply just as bad as everyone else. Please tell me what you think the Canucks should do? Tear up NTC's? Trade away some ELC? You said bringing back the team is wasting another year. The Sedins, Kes, Bieska, Garrison and Hamhuis all have NTC. Instead of *****ing about the Sedins yet again, what do you suggest the Canucks do? They are going to have Cap probs, they have 3 contracts that are problems (Luongo, Booth and Ballard - and do you think at this point they are going to get anything of value for Booth or Ballard, and I know you would like to keep Luongo, but lets get realistic, but it seems that his value was what, 2 2nd rounders).

You constantly harp of the team as is, in particular the highest scoring two players. Fine. Make a realistic suggestion as what you would like the team to do. Without trading away a 1st round draft pick. Without moving a NTC. Who would you buy out? (as per the new CBA, you get 1 buy out this year and one next year). Yes the team has problems. But fixing it isn't easy.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:07 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindt View Post
When was the last time one of Kesler's patented wresters from just inside the blueline went in? That's the last thing we want the Sedins to be doing. Kesler may have a dangerous shot but it's been figured out so it hardly ever reaches the net.
Even if Kesler isn't scoring his shot is still a threat and defenders have to defend against it. With the Sedins (Henrik in particular) there's no danger of them them beating a goalie with a clean shot so the defense gives it to them.

If Henrik had the ability to walk out from the halfboards and challenge the goalie with a wrister on the PP it would force the PK to collapse move into the lane and collapse the box. Watch any other PPQB who plays the half boards and you'll see them do this all the time.

Having a legitimate shot forces defenders to play the shooting lanes more which opens up the passing lanes. I don't care if they don't score tons of goals that way so long as it's sufficient enough to make the D respect it.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:30 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
How many Sedin passes were intercepted in the SJ series? The league at large is devising Sedin strategies and they are doing it successfully. Hell, Pahlsson did it on two different teams!

Sedins are not going to be successful playoff performers because they cannot change their game to suit.

Sedins have lost a step and this also is evident in their passing and shooting. They are older and will not improve on this. Like the rest of the Canucks the Sedins have been feasting on a weak division. They are carefully sheltered by Vigneault. These things in total show the Sedins window for success has closed.

I wish the Sedins would claim Olympic fever and play for MODO, next season. This would mitigate the insanity around the sap. The Canucks can toll the year and use the Sedins as the second line in 2014.

What I think is going to happen is they return and honor their contract and steadily decline further as the extra games grind them into obscurity. Will Vig be there to make sure all their starts are well managed? Is Vancouver likely to be a single line team, again? Is Vancouver going to be a playoff team?

The Sedins are not getting better. Solving issues is not going to include them. They are thirty four next season and in their final contract year. It won't be easy to build a playoff run around these guys.

Why would they return? Really, what is Vancouver offering? What opportunity is there for this team next season?

Old
05-09-2013, 02:08 PM
doobie604

Sedins are passers, when only option is each other it's pretty easy to shut them down. Sure compared to their best years they look slower with worse passing, but they also lost the mobile active D able to jump in to the play with them, and with a less effective Burrows their production will decrease. If we're getting 1st liners with proven playoff record back then sure we should trade them, but if we're banking on high draft picks to become superstars it may be too much of a gamble. With all that said, MG made the mistake of adding size by sacrificing skill which our team isn't suited for. If he remains GM and continue to go that route, then we might need to get rid of them for some skilled goons to change the identity of the team.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:41 PM
TheBrockBoesMonster
3rd overall? Nope!

Hank and Dank

for

Turris
Zibanejad
Wiercoch or Gryba
1st
Cond. 2nd if they resign

Perhaps?

Old
05-09-2013, 06:46 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Hank and Dank

for

Turris
Zibanejad
Wiercoch or Gryba
1st
Cond. 2nd if they resign

Perhaps?
I wouldn't touch that if I were Ottawa.

05-09-2013, 06:53 PM
solitary

Quote:
Hank and Dank

for

Turris
Zibanejad
Wiercoch or Gryba
1st
Cond. 2nd if they resign

Perhaps?
Go play NHL 13

Old
05-09-2013, 07:16 PM
just22
bum

Quote:
Hank and Dank

for

Turris
Zibanejad
Wiercoch or Gryba
1st
Cond. 2nd if they resign

Perhaps?
I'd be pretty upset if I was a fan of the Sens.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:39 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
PKane 1 goal in his last 18 playoff games. Does that make him worse than Daniel Sedin? (watch him score 5 in 5 games now)

Old
05-09-2013, 11:57 PM
yoss

vCash: 50
The Sedins battled back last game. Down a goal in the 3rd, they came through with the tying goal and battled hard i thought towards the end. The first couple or few games maybe are a different story.

I sort of wonder if Daniel is not still suffering from that Keith concussion, he didn't seem the same to me this year, and obviously he scored less.

I am completely against moving the twins. I think if that happened people would start realizing just how good we have it with them.

I was a bit disappointed overall in their production this year, they didn't look as dangerous, but it would not surprise me at all if they were better next year, in particular Daniel. Would hope he can find his scoring touch again.

Passing is never an issue with either. At times the cycle seem too predictable and redundant to me. Hank stepped it up against L.A. last year, they didn't score enough or generate as many quality chances early in this series, but they did pick it up there towards the end, and i hope that they learn from the last two years playoff disappointments and adjust accordingly.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Should trade the twins for a top 20 scorer. That's what the Canucks desperately lack.

Now to press 'Submit Reply' before checking the stats sheet...

Old
05-10-2013, 12:12 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
You're not answering my main comments. I said they were not the only problem. They were simply just as bad as everyone else. Please tell me what you think the Canucks should do? Tear up NTC's? Trade away some ELC? You said bringing back the team is wasting another year. The Sedins, Kes, Bieska, Garrison and Hamhuis all have NTC. Instead of *****ing about the Sedins yet again, what do you suggest the Canucks do? They are going to have Cap probs, they have 3 contracts that are problems (Luongo, Booth and Ballard - and do you think at this point they are going to get anything of value for Booth or Ballard, and I know you would like to keep Luongo, but lets get realistic, but it seems that his value was what, 2 2nd rounders).

You constantly harp of the team as is, in particular the highest scoring two players. Fine. Make a realistic suggestion as what you would like the team to do. Without trading away a 1st round draft pick. Without moving a NTC. Who would you buy out? (as per the new CBA, you get 1 buy out this year and one next year). Yes the team has problems. But fixing it isn't easy.
I've made several suggestions on what the team can do, going both ways (blowing it up, and supplementing this core). And just because a player has a NTC doesn't mean he can't be traded. Gillis today even said that if a team wants to trade a player with a NTC, the player usually knows and it gets worked out. He didn't come out and flatly state that players with an NTC will not move.

If we go the rebuild route, I would look to move the Sedins with held back salary, and Luongo to Florida for the 2nd overall pick. In addition, I'd look to move Edler and our 1st round pick for the 3rd overall pick.

If we go the keep the core together (for the most part) route, I'd look to add some tough bad ***** like Clowe and Clarkson to our top 6.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:26 AM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
How many Sedin passes were intercepted in the SJ series? The league at large is devising Sedin strategies and they are doing it successfully. Hell, Pahlsson did it on two different teams!

Sedins are not going to be successful playoff performers because they cannot change their game to suit.

Sedins have lost a step and this also is evident in their passing and shooting. They are older and will not improve on this. Like the rest of the Canucks the Sedins have been feasting on a weak division. They are carefully sheltered by Vigneault. These things in total show the Sedins window for success has closed.

I wish the Sedins would claim Olympic fever and play for MODO, next season. This would mitigate the insanity around the sap. The Canucks can toll the year and use the Sedins as the second line in 2014.

What I think is going to happen is they return and honor their contract and steadily decline further as the extra games grind them into obscurity. Will Vig be there to make sure all their starts are well managed? Is Vancouver likely to be a single line team, again? Is Vancouver going to be a playoff team?

The Sedins are not getting better. Solving issues is not going to include them. They are thirty four next season and in their final contract year. It won't be easy to build a playoff run around these guys.

Why would they return? Really, what is Vancouver offering? What opportunity is there for this team next season?
Ever consider that AV constantly sheltering them is precisely why they struggle to adapt? Look at Phil Kessel when coached by Ron Wilson and now, by Randy Carlyle. The difference is astonishing and it primarily has to do with Carlyle forcing Kessel into the tougher plays and 'beating' defense into him. He's still mediocre on a general average but compensates elsewhere for his deficiencies. There is nothing to say the Sedins cannot score at a PPG pace, perhaps even exceeding one. People make far too big a deal about their age.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:23 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Ever consider that AV constantly sheltering them is precisely why they struggle to adapt? Look at Phil Kessel when coached by Ron Wilson and now, by Randy Carlyle. The difference is astonishing and it primarily has to do with Carlyle forcing Kessel into the tougher plays and 'beating' defense into him. He's still mediocre on a general average but compensates elsewhere for his deficiencies. There is nothing to say the Sedins cannot score at a PPG pace, perhaps even exceeding one. People make far too big a deal about their age.
I think part of the twin's problem when it comes to adapting their game is that they have played together forever. It's always been Klatt, King, Bertuzzi, Burrows, Kassian, etc. having to learn how to play with the twins. It's been forever since they played on separate lines. They've gotten too used to players adapting to them, that they haven't learned to adapt their own game to bring more diversity to it.

The Sedins are too much alike. Both more passers than shooters. Ideally, you'd like to see a Hull/Oates type combo. If Daniel made himself a better shooter like Bure/Naslund, the twins would have been a more dangerous combination. But neither possesses any sort of a dangerous shot. Daniel's goals are generally within the faceoff circles, in tight to the goal from good cycle plays. He's not going to beat a goalie who has a chance to get set for the shot from the top of the faceoff circles.

Henrik, in game 1, all alone on Niemi and doesn't shoot the puck. Too passive.

In terms of adapting their game, they have failed to develop their shooting. Now, I don't expect them to score a lot of goals like Bure/Naslund with their shot, but they should have learned how to shoot the puck so that it generates a rebound for their line mate. On the PP, do they ever shoot the puck so that Kesler can attack the round in front of the net? Hardly ever, cause Henrik just passes the puck back to the D or to his brother on the PP. They never learned that opponents have taking away passing lanes because the twins themselves are not dangerous shooters, it's the open guy that is the dangerous one, so block the passing lane. Sometimes, a well place shot on goal that gets a rebound is better than trying a direct pass. Like Raymond in OT in game 4, he could have shot the puck low far pad side and with Kelser going to the net, could have given Kesler a chance to bury the rebound, but instead he tried to pass and put it on Kesler's backhand, which he had to reach for.

Can't always have a tick tac toe passing play like the 2 Burrow's goals in the series. Sometimes, it's just off a shot and puck luck.

And the twins are too far from the net too often. They don't attack the net when a shot is taken, thus are late to the loose pucks.

And for guys who are 6'2 and 190 lbs, they get knocked to the ice way too much.

Maybe we asked for too much, but always wanted to see them change their game a bit to add a more varied attack, rather than just rely on the cycle game.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:29 AM
BC Boy

I think the perfect conclusion to the end of the Sedin's contracts would be another contract on the assumption they'd assume second line roles. I'm thinking 5 million/year for 4 years.

Henrik+Daniel+Shoot-first Winger would be a perfect second line, and most likely the best in the league. Of course, this would only be feasible if we could find a new first line; easier said than done.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:46 AM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
I think part of the twin's problem when it comes to adapting their game is that they have played together forever. It's always been Klatt, King, Bertuzzi, Burrows, Kassian, etc. having to learn how to play with the twins. It's been forever since they played on separate lines. They've gotten too used to players adapting to them, that they haven't learned to adapt their own game to bring more diversity to it.

The Sedins are too much alike. Both more passers than shooters. Ideally, you'd like to see a Hull/Oates type combo. If Daniel made himself a better shooter like Bure/Naslund, the twins would have been a more dangerous combination. But neither possesses any sort of a dangerous shot. Daniel's goals are generally within the faceoff circles, in tight to the goal from good cycle plays. He's not going to beat a goalie who has a chance to get set for the shot from the top of the faceoff circles.

In terms of adapting their game, they have failed to develop their shooting. Now, I don't expect them to score a lot of goals like Bure/Naslund with their shot, but they should have learned how to shoot the puck so that it generates a rebound for their line mate. On the PP, do they ever shoot the puck so that Kesler can attack the round in front of the net? Hardly ever, cause Henrik just passes the puck back to the D or to his brother on the PP. They never learned that opponents have taking away passing lanes because the twins themselves are not dangerous shooters, it's the open guy that is the dangerous one, so block the passing lane. Sometimes, a well place shot on goal that gets a rebound is better than trying a direct pass. Like Raymond in OT in game 4, he could have shot the puck low far pad side and with Kelser going to the net, could have given Kesler a chance to bury the rebound, but instead he tried to pass and put it on Kesler's backhand, which he had to reach for.

Can't always have a tick tac toe passing play like the 2 Burrow's goals in the series. Sometimes, it's just off a shot and puck luck.

And the twins are too far from the net too often. They don't attack the net when a shot is taken, thus are late to the loose pucks.

Maybe we asked for too much, but always wanted to see them change their game a bit to add a more varied attack, rather than just rely on the cycle game.
Not to sound like a broken record however, this brings me back to questioning AV, at least to a certain extent. He has openly admitted to not coaching the Sedins, instead opting to allow them to do their thing as they see fit. In retrospect, I find that detrimental for the reasons you've stated. They need to be coached into adapting their game to better compliment whoever is the third man in. Kassian fit the mold reasonably well, but we all know how they went. Alternatively, if we retain Roy or bring in a centre like Couturier. I would really like to try Kesler on their wing for a while.

As for shooting, I want the two of them to spend a summer with Tortorella shouting "shoot" until they get the bloody message.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:48 AM
Momesso
High-End Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post

Hit the nail on the head.

The Sedins play a style that is difficult to execute in the playoffs against grinding teams like LA, Boston and even SJ who gave them no space - in stark contrast to how SJ played in 2011.

They would have been better served on separate lines.

Skill players are often mixed in with forecheckers and grinders come playoff time. The game gets "dumbed down" and you need to adapt by forcing the other team into mistakes and pouncing on them with one-timers (like Burrows goal that won the Chicago series in 2011).

I wish a new coach played them on separate lines ES for the whole season and forced them to take quicker shots and passes off the rush all year, in anticipation of that playoff style.

It isn't rocket science.

Closed Thread