HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ferland or Downey?

Old
09-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Ferland or Downey?

I think the real, though not as dramatic, problem is between those two. Both needs to clear waivers, one is Franco, the other is Mr. Potato, Ferland seems to have a nicest touch around the net but unexperimented while the other could drop the gloves and seems to be a nice addition in the dressing room.

In the end, and with all the hype around Lats and the French debate, and I don't want to get into this, I believe Gainey will keep Ferland around and put Downey to waivers.

For whatever reason, I think that Downey will have no problem going through waivers, while Ferland could receive some attention, scored and hit hard during preseason, quite young, I would take him if I was a team in need of those types of players.

My vote goes to Ferland! The time has come for him, he paid his dues, and showed great things as well during the camp.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think the real, though not as dramatic, problem is between those two. Both needs to clear waivers, one is Franco, the other is Mr. Potato, Ferland seems to have a nicest touch around the net but unexperimented while the other could drop the gloves and seems to be a nice addition in the dressing room.

In the end, and with all the hype around Lats and the French debate, and I don't want to get into this, I believe Gainey will keep Ferland around and put Downey to waivers.

For whatever reason, I think that Downey will have no problem going through waivers, while Ferland could receive some attention, scored and hit hard during preseason, quite young, I would take him if I was a team in need of those types of players.

My vote goes to Ferland! The time has come for him, he paid his dues, and showed great things as well during the camp.
Exactly...if it's between Ferland vs. Downey, it's not even close...Downey rarely fights anymore, while Ferland brings the same physical element + better hands and the ability to play on special teams (PK, and maybe even some time in front of the net on the PP) Ferland isn't unlike what Chris Neil has become.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Darz

I don't think it's quite that easy. Gainey obviously likes Downey's game, and by all accounts I've heard, his hands have healed (hand injuries were a main reason he didn't fight much least year) and supposablely he is in great shape. He already is a good skater for a player that fills his role and a good guy in the dressing room, so I wouldn't be surprised if Downey does stick with the big club, to start the year anyways.

09-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Ferland might be an option if we want our 14th forward to be more of a pure plugger, but I don't see him competing with Downey, really. Downey is a hand-picked chemistry guy for Gainey, and he'll really have to struggle to keep up before he loses his spot.

Mind you, I could see that happening... eventually: if Downey does get bogged down taking too many penalties and his style does become clearly more detrimental than beneficial as the season progresses, he could find himself at the end of the line. But I don't think it's very likely to happen during training camp.

Ferland is in a make or break year. If for some reason we can't sign Latendresse, and if the other rookies like Kostitsyn continue to fail to make clear cases for themselves, we won't go too far wrong by keeping him around for Black Aces/grinder duty *with* Downey. But he could still benefit quite significantly from a full, healthy make-or-break season in Hamilton.

And if Matt Foy can clear waivers, then it's no contest that Ferland would as well.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Exactly...if it's between Ferland vs. Downey, it's not even close...Downey rarely fights anymore, while Ferland brings the same physical element + better hands and the ability to play on special teams (PK, and maybe even some time in front of the net on the PP) Ferland isn't unlike what Chris Neil has become.
I really believe it will be 'cause Kosty should be send to Hamilton being the first call-up. Lats will make it, Perez is in, Murray definately has an edge over Ferland and Downey so last spot belongs to one of the last 2.

I also believe Ferland has a much better hockey sense as well. I remember a goal last year in front of the net when not only was he in front of the net, ready to pay the price, but positioned himself perfectly to receive a pass, something I don't think we will witness Downey doing. That Bonk-Bégin-Ferland could be a nice, energetic but will have some scoring chances as well.

Old
09-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Qui Gon Dave

If its a choice between keeping one and getting rid (or risking losing) the other, I'd keep Ferland but its close. In terms of talent, I'd say Ferland has the upper hand, physical play, a slight edge to Downey, experience and impact in the dressing room goes to Downey as well. But I think we have enough decent leaders that losing Downey wouldn't have much impact in the grand scheme of things. They can both hit and Downey is more willing to fight, but I expect Murray and Begin would be willing to go with most of the people Downey would scrap with, for any really tough guys, if needed, we have Souray. So its not like we are losing the only guy who will stick up for his teammates. Ferland brings the physical aspect as well as some scoring touch (for a 4th liner, he's quite good) so I'd keep him.

If possible though, I'd like to keep both for at least the first half of the season. It could be useful keeping both around for the near future.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
And if Matt Foy can clear waivers, then it's no contest that Ferland would as well.
I believe Foy was supposed to be all that and then dissapointed a lot of people. Something Ferland didn't do yet 'cause he didn't have the relative hype that Foy got, even though Foy was only picked in the 6th round. Ferland just knows his role and do it well. Don't believe Foy as ever found a role in this league yet and add to that that he doesn't skate well, something Ferland does have, gives Ferland an edge I think.....

Just wondering if they'll take the chance of losing him with all that debate you know which one I'm talking about....

Old
09-26-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I really believe it will be 'cause Kosty should be send to Hamilton being the first call-up. Lats will make it, Perez is in, Murray definately has an edge over Ferland and Downey so last spot belongs to one of the last 2.

I also believe Ferland has a much better hockey sense as well. I remember a goal last year in front of the net when not only was he in front of the net, ready to pay the price, but positioned himself perfectly to receive a pass, something I don't think we will witness Downey doing. That Bonk-Bégin-Ferland could be a nice, energetic but will have some scoring chances as well.

Good post...I remember that goal as well, he parked himself in front of the net and didn't mind paying the price. Not to mention he can play on the PK, and if you look at his goals in the preseason, where was he? in front of the net...

While it may be unlikely he's picked up on waivers, say he goes down in the AHL and has a good start and gets recalled, he could get picked up then....He's paid his dues, it's time he plays in the NHL. This is a guy who I liked from the moment we drafted and i've always thought he'd be a perfect fit on the 4th line, you got to remember this guy was a pretty good player in the Q at one point, so he's got potential to be a 3rd line guy.

I also agree about the breakdown of the team...I think all of Perezhogin, Murray and should he keep up his play Latendresse will all make it, it'll come down to Ferland vs. Downey.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I believe Foy was supposed to be all that and then dissapointed a lot of people. Something Ferland didn't do yet 'cause he didn't have the relative hype that Foy got, even though Foy was only picked in the 6th round. Ferland just knows his role and do it well. Don't believe Foy as ever found a role in this league yet and add to that that he doesn't skate well, something Ferland does have, gives Ferland an edge I think.....

Just wondering if they'll take the chance of losing him with all that debate you know which one I'm talking about....
Foy certainly has a higher profile than Ferland, anyway. But regardless of which one you like better (I'll take Foy, you can argue for Ferland) he's just one example out of dozens of similar-calibre players who are moving through waivers this week and next week. Many of whom have more experience and higher profiles than Ferland does. If you're picking this kind of player, you're picking him for a bottom-line checking role. The experience factor will be important. There are many players who would draw more attention than Ferland if any team out there was still looking for that (although by the same token, most teams already signed a few guys like that during the summer, precisely so that they'd already have those bases covered heading into camp). There's a surplus of supply and not much demand.

Assuming Ferland goes on waivers, then, care to make a wager on whether he gets claimed or not?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I would take Ferland.He's more energetic,younger and also he his french and they can make some fans happy I guess

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Assuming Ferland goes on waivers, then, care to make a wager on whether he gets claimed or not?
So you want my VCash don't you....

If he is on waivers, you'll hear from me....

Old
09-26-2006, 12:43 PM
fatmax

Ferland because he has more potential than Downey, I think he might not be as fast but like most of you said, in the offensive zone, he will be a bigger treat than Downey.

Has for the hype that Downey bring in the locker room, I beleive that Ferland have a really good attitude (always positive) and I always like his comments when he's interviewed.

Hence, he's French

I wonder if he could replace Murray instead of Downey, not that I don't like Murray or that I think that Ferland is better but they play a similar game and Murray came last year and had not too much NHL experience (if I'm not mistaking) so I would wonder if he could replace him (maybe next year)

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Everyone is talking about Latendresse and it's normal but Ferland is the other kid I'd like to make the team. Him with Begin and Murray would make a great 4th line for years to come.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:49 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
ferland because he's french canadian....point and simple

my 4th line: begin-bonk-ferland

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Marchy79

Ferland and IMO as much as I like Downey... For me its not even close.
Ferland is ready for a lower line role, and to be honest I am excited to see what he can bring to this team on the fourth.
Aside from the abilities, my pure reasoning is simply that Ferland has the potential to be a longer term piece to this organiztion, and he's homegrown (aka our own draft pick)... He's finally ready for a role, and Ferland being 23 years old to Aaron Downey's 32... I believe its safe to say its very well possible that Ferland will be the better contributor to the team as well...
As much as Downey can be good in the dressing room... Ferland who has played in Hamilton with guys like Ryder, Kostitsyn, Begin, Murray (breiefly), Pleks, Ribs, LaPierre, Bouillon, Komi, Dandy, Cote, Perezhogin (and more prospects even)... Has IMO a probable good relationship with many of these guys.

Heck I even think Ferland could develop in to a possible third liner someday... maybe a 30 point physical winger for us... He's not a spoft player... He has grit. IMO its his time to hit the show... He's impressed me so far at least enough to warrant the opening roster fourth line role (to date... *knocks on wood)

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:28 PM
AH

Ferland has done nothing at the AHL level to even be getting ANY praise.

Just because he is French?

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Ferland has done nothing at the AHL level to even be getting ANY praise.

Just because he is French?
Ina a fourth line battle, wher ehe has shown just as much as Downey... Im not saying a 'little praise'... He is being the more useful player... I agree some around are using the 'french tagline' as a reason... But for me it isnt... on a pure analysis... Its essentially going to come down to the 2 of them... Downey, or Ferland.
Ferland > Downey.
Keep Ferland...
Not because he's french, but because he has more value to add..

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:37 PM
AH

No he doesnt. Ferland adds nothing as an extra forward that Downey can't add. Downey showed he could play in a checking role last season down the stretch when games counted big time. A couple of meaningless pre-season games count for nothing.

Not to mention that Downey is very well liked by his teammates. Gainey is a chemist first when it comes to GM abilities. It's no coincidence that the team took off soon after Downey's arrival last year. Team chemistry was better upon his arrival, and I dont see how it can be different this year.

Old
09-26-2006, 01:46 PM
SuperUnknown

Why is Ferland already waiver eligible?

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
No he doesnt. Ferland adds nothing as an extra forward that Downey can't add. Downey showed he could play in a checking role last season down the stretch when games counted big time. A couple of meaningless pre-season games count for nothing.

Not to mention that Downey is very well liked by his teammates. Gainey is a chemist first when it comes to GM abilities. It's no coincidence that the team took off soon after Downey's arrival last year. Team chemistry was better upon his arrival, nd I dont see how it can be different.
Just thinking out loud here...to me, Downey brings something specific...on top of potatoes, he's a quality guy to have in the dressing room (based on almost all accounts I've heard) and he's willing to drop the gloves (should be doing more of that this year if his injury has healed). But what does Murray bring that Ferland can't? I don't know why, but if I had to pick two between Ferland, Murray and Downey, I'd pick Ferland and Downey. Downey is the perfect 14th forward...you put him in for certain games, depending on the opposition.

I like Murray, but Ferland can play the same high-energy game, and I feel like he could have higher upside offensively. How proven was Murray when he started with us last year? Any more proven than Ferland is right now?

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:00 PM
AH

Ferland doesnt have Murray's speed.

Old
09-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Ferland doesnt have Murray's speed.
That's true...

I guess I don't like Garth's fro lol.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:11 PM
mcphee

I don't friggin' know. Downey gives you some energy. A goal from a guy like that is like 2 from someone else because the team feeds off of it. I can't say that I've watched Ferland enough to judge things like defensive play, etc.

It depends on what you think of fighting ? Downey isn't a heavyweight but he can play and he's willing. If Gainey feels that the role is redundant, let him go.

Personally, I think they both could go. Murray the best player of the 3 and will drop the gloves on occasion.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Wouldn't it be nice if at some point we could see

Begin-Lapierre-Ferland

IMO, that would be one hell of a grinding line that the fans would love.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:34 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if at some point we could see

Begin-Lapierre-Ferland

IMO, that would be one hell of a grinding line that the fans would love.
Begin-Lapierre-Murray would have nice speed

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote