HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which rookie forward will make the cut?

Old
09-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Turbo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Didn't remember that Ferland needed to clear waivers. I'm sorry but I firmly believe he'll be picked if he goes through waivers. Downey would clear it no problem but I understand the money issue.

But again, it ain't Ferland's problem if Gainey gave Downey immediately a contract without knowing the other possibilities inside his org.

The Habs org. won't take the chance of losing another franco for Mr. Potato....
I like what Ferland's shown during the pre-season as well. Would be a real shame to lose him to waivers.

That said, I sense that the direction is not happy with the 7th defenseman situation - especially given that none of those up for the job have stood out and now Bouillon is out until around December. Maybe a minor trade is in the works implicating some of our forwards to obtain a bottom-pairing guy? That could alleviate the bottle-neck at forward and prevent needless loss to waivers. Anyway, we'll see...

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Maybe, but why risk it?
Well, if it's "100% no-risk" as I believe it is, then what is there to risk?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, if it's "100% no-risk" as I believe it is, then what is there to risk?
Well if you put both Downey and Ferland on waivers, which is the more likely to get picked? Probably neither, but should a team need this type of player, I guarantee Ferland goes before.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:05 PM
AD

Quote:
Well if you put both Downey and Ferland on waivers, which is the more likely to get picked? Probably neither, but should a team need this type of player, I guarantee Ferland goes before.
i doubt that. Ferland has no real NHL experience and has done little in the AHL.

Downey is a sure bet atleast. for other teams anyway. They won't care if he speaks french or not.

Both would easily pass waivers. And honestly, even if they don't.. who cares?

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
i doubt that. Ferland has no real NHL experience and has done little in the AHL.

Downey is a sure bet atleast. for other teams anyway. They won't care if he speaks french or not.

I know it's unlikely Ferland is picked, although, how unlikely did most think Beauchemin getting picked up was, many people here were clamoring for Beacheming to get his shot including me, either way I know it's not the same situation.

Think about it though, what is the organization saying when a guy who's in his 5th professional pro training camp, in which he's been among the last cuts in at least 4 of them, when they send him down again, eventually you have to reward guys who've been with the organization and have improved every year, sending him down again could be sending a wrong message to the other guys who are close.

Anyways, it's no big deal. I just think he deserves a shot

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

Agreed (again... cursed Evil Banana!). If a team somehow forgot to stock up on their quota of spunky Black Ace/energy line guys in the summer, then Downey's track record and lockerroom presence speaks louder than anything Ferland has ever done.

There's a difference between fantasy hockey and the NHL. Sure, in the land of the fantasy hockey fan, we all prefer Ferland because we dream of his potential. But in reality, NHL teams aren't sitting around dreaming of potential from young pluggers who've accumulated 18 goals in 3 AHL seasons. I like Ferland. I hope he makes the Habs, and if he doesn't I hope he has a great season in Hamilton and we re-sign him next year. But regardless of that, I don't think he stands out in any way when stacked up against the borderline players that every NHL team already possesses.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:35 PM
hab

you keep seeing the same crap, and THANK GOD some people are not running the

team, lets trade perezhogin, who could puld put up big points in the future, for

what... a 3nd round pick or a 6th d man...he has only played ONE YEAR PEOPLE!!!

LOL!!!!!!

why could he not start the year on the 3rd line with lats on the fourth...whats the

big deal, I dont think downey has a hope in hell of making the team while murray

seems doubtfull as a regular because we simply have too many strong young

players, and guys like that get pushed out over time... its evolution baby.

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:43 PM
tmc

Quote:
i just hope a team like vancouver dosent pick up Danis on waivers I don't really care about 4th line pluggers

tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:53 PM
fatmax

Quote:

He has done little because he had some unfortunate injury (like his appendicitis last year, I had mine remove this summer and I wouldn't have been too great if I would have come back to play hockey) and my guess is that he plays on a defensive line so not much chance to get high stats

Downey has shown how useless, on the ice, he is last year, he skate hard but doesn't have any hockey sense which I beleive Ferland has.

And finally, I care since he's my cousin's son and if he makes the team, it means that he will have a pair of ticket for each game, since him pretty much the only familly that lives near Montreal (the rest are in Beauce), I could get some this year + I would hate it if he makes the NHL somewhere else, even if I'm not even sure if he could make the NHL on another line-up!!!

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:54 PM
fatmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc View Post
i just hope a team like vancouver dosent pick up Danis on waivers I don't really care about 4th line pluggers
Danis has to clear waiver? If true... Damn!

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote