HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

May 9 • Slovakia 3, Latvia 5

Old
05-11-2013, 04:49 AM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
Yes,but it looks like he didnt live to the expectations now did he? for me a prospect is anyone from 1994-onwards.
That is a pretty bad definition IMO, because for a lot of players it's way too early to tell at that point of time, and Slovak players have a tendenc either to dissapoint and not develop or be sort of late bloomers...And most players from that age bracket except the absolute top talents won't be playing for the men's team for quite a few years, so...

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:51 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
That is a pretty bad definition IMO, because for a lot of players it's way too early to tell at that point of time, and Slovak players have a tendenc either to dissapoint and not develop or be sort of late bloomers...And most players from that age bracket except the absolute top talents won't be playing for the men's team for quite a few years, so...
Well than that would make a guy like Indrasis for us a prospect,but hes 22 and cant play in u-20 so by my definition hes not a prospect.
Prospect is a player who is eligible to play for either u-18 or u-20.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 05:01 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
I`d say you still develop good prospects but you guys are just slightly above Latvia and Denmark.
Especially in case of Denmark we have the advantage of having some pretty decent players in good European leagues (not only KHL, but also CZE), while Denmark has actually managed to produce even more NHLers than we in recent years, but their OG qualifiers/WC result seem to show that they are lost as long as they don't have all of them.

As for Latvia, well somebody has mention last years' draft as a measuring stick (O Slovaks vs. 2 Latvians darfted), well in that case that person might have missed the 3 years before that (1 Latvians vs 11 Slovaks drafted)

I think our roughest patch when it came to developing prospects has actually been when it came to players born in late 80s and currently it's a bit better. But the lack of prospects in that time resulted in the NT management's inability/unwillingness for a generation change while building the NT. And there's still not enough willingness to say no to certain older players.

Not saying everything is bright and shiny, but we're not going to be below the level of Germany (who IMO is somewhat stagnating when it comes to developing prospects) and even in the junior categories the results don't show otherwise and the Germans don't win over us anywhere near as often as the Swiss (the other fact is that the Swiss have been having good results against us already 10-15 years ago in youth categories).

Old
05-11-2013, 05:05 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Well than that would make a guy like Indrasis for us a prospect,but hes 22 and cant play in u-20 so by my definition hes not a prospect.
Prospect is a player who is eligible to play for either u-18 or u-20.
IMO that is not a definition of a prospect, but of a junior player, which is quiet a difference IMO. Personally I define "prospect" when it comes to the men's national team as a young players who has not played or has played a limited number of games for the men's national team, but is expected/likely to play for the NT in the future and have some impact.

Old
05-11-2013, 05:20 AM
Namejs

vCash: 883
Quote:
There's Tatar and Pánik who both got a number of games in the NHL this year and chanes are they will get a full season there as well. Both of them would be likely playing this tourney if they weren't in the AHL play-offs. Same for Martin Marinčin who's our top D prospects. Tomáš Jurčo struggled a bit at the beginning, but he's found his own in the AHL play-offs. Asides fom Daňo, there was another Slovak youngster holding his own in a top European league this year 17 year old Peter Cehlárik in Sweden. In goal asides from Janus, there's also Hudáček who was pretty good in SEL and it will be interesting to see what he does in the KHL next year. Our top forward this tourney is easily Záborský, who's just 25 and still has a lot of years in the NT left in him. Then there are Marek Tvrdoň, Martin Gernát and Marek Hrivík who have all enjoyed good careers in North America, but all got their season cut short due to injuries. Also fortgo Martin Reway. And of course there are some younger prospects, but it's too early to talk about them, but maybe just metion D Erik Černák who was the youngest player at the U18s and got anmed one of the top 3 players on the team. Just a few on the top of my head. But obviously you know better what you're talking about than I...
That's not a lot of prospects. Most of them won't make it. You've got maybe a couple of more top prospects than we do. And note that I'm still not implying that we're on the same level as you are. If anything, it shows how bad the situation is in Slovakian hockey.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 05:31 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
That's not a lot of prospects. Most of them won't make it. You've got maybe a couple of more top prospects than we do. And note that I'm still not implying that we're on the same level as you are. If anything, it shows how bad the situation is in Slovakian hockey.
You can never know how many will make it or not, but half of those I named are already top Europe league players/on the brink of the NHL, so technically they have already made it in terms of being capable of being good players for the NT. After all one does not need to be an NHL star to be an impact player at a tourney like the WC (different with the Olympics). And let's not pretend Slovakia ever had dozens and dozens prospects each year, never did due to the low number of players compared to the strongest hockey nations, our strength used to be that we had few propects but even the later rounders developed well. I tried to name mainly those players who even though they might not become NHLers one day still have a chance to become impact players in European leagues at some point. Also there's the fact that this past season there have been around 115 Slovak players in the top 4 European leagues (yes, I'm counting the Czech league into iteven though people have a tendency to underrate it, but whatever you think of it's level it's still much much better than anything that let's say Danish league has to offer).

And I was never implying that you were saying that we were on the same level anywhere.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

I think the situation regarding developing is a similar (Cze,Svk) in sense, our gold generation borned from common system of training players, which was great in communist times. Sport was our showcase. The things changed then, the system was mostly ruined.

The biggest loss we felt in kids borned around 90's. We are happy for every single prospect from this years. PC generation was so poor, can't work hard mostly.

Fortunately the things changed back last years in Czech republic. Hockey academies, schools etc. are full of kids right now. Doesn't matter so much, that Slovakian hockey association fall asleep a bit. The options are here...

Anyway, the rule about obliged juniors shall enter into force from next season in Cze extraliga. Hopefully it can help our U20.

Last edited by Jeez: 05-11-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:37 AM
begbeee

Altough it´s very controversial in general..there is U20 project in Slovakian league. U20 national team plays season in highest league in country against men. Probably thanks to this project, our U20 still plays in elite division. On the other hand, there is not built any winning culture in these prospects which is bad - they lost almost every game, often with quite a big margin.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Altough it´s very controversial in general..there is U20 project in Slovakian league. U20 national team plays season in highest league in country against men. Probably thanks to this project, our U20 still plays in elite division. On the other hand, there is not built any winning culture in these prospects which is bad - they lost almost every game, often with quite a big margin.
How is it ? Whole team from 94 and younger next season ? It sounds a bit unfair...
In our condition, every extraliga team shall have two 94 or younger borned kids.

Yeah, It's highly questionable regulation, especially for these who are on that teams for long time and They must leave now, because they are overages.
I think, we just have to try it.

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:12 AM
begbeee

Quite an old story, but you easily found some articles in Slovak language.
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=82b77adf4d

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:07 AM
latvianhockeyfan

Quote:
There's Tatar and Pánik who both got a number of games in the NHL this year and chanes are they will get a full season there as well. Both of them would be likely playing this tourney if they weren't in the AHL play-offs. Same for Martin Marinčin who's our top D prospects. Tomáš Jurčo struggled a bit at the beginning, but he's found his own in the AHL play-offs. Asides fom Daňo, there was another Slovak youngster holding his own in a top European league this year 17 year old Peter Cehlárik in Sweden. In goal asides from Janus, there's also Hudáček who was pretty good in SEL and it will be interesting to see what he does in the KHL next year. Our top forward this tourney is easily Záborský, who's just 25 and still has a lot of years in the NT left in him. Then there are Marek Tvrdoň, Martin Gernát and Marek Hrivík who have all enjoyed good careers in North America, but all got their season cut short due to injuries. Also fortgo Martin Reway. And of course there are some younger prospects, but it's too early to talk about them, but maybe just metion D Erik Černák who was the youngest player at the U18s and got anmed one of the top 3 players on the team. Just a few on the top of my head. But obviously you know better what you're talking about than I...

They are good players, but they will not be 1-2 lines in NHL.

latvianhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latvianhockeyfan View Post
They are good players, but they will not be 1-2 lines in NHL.
You have a crystal ball?

Indian is offline   Reply With Quote