HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

May 11 • Switzerland 4, Denmark 1

Old
05-11-2013, 07:15 AM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

vCash: 1050
Our presence in front of the net is sooo great this year. No comparison to former worlds.

TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:23 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

vCash: 500
Talk about a misleading result.. Hate it or love, but the Swiss are effective..

But the reffing was horrible, especially for the danes..

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:35 AM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post

Agreed. You guys played a better game than this result suggests.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:37 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeutrality View Post
Agreed. You guys played a better game than this result suggests.
It's tough to watch the guys play their ***** off, and not even get a point out of it.

Old
jonas2244

Don't think that the reffing was that bad, I could see all the calls (on both sides)

Switzerland with fewer shots but more quality scoring chances. Berra played a solid game, you can see how big he is. Josi is just a pleasure to watch, best defenseman I saw at this years IHWC. And the main advantage Switzerland has this year, they can play 4 lines during 60 minutes and each line is able to play a solid defensive game but also create offense. And Denmark just don't have that depth.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Belenos

I thought the same. It was more a 3:2 than a 4:1 game. Switzerland still deserves the win.

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:42 AM
koh19

I feel like if the Danes had played a little more physical, they could have bothered the Swiss more.

Denmark has a very good team, kudos to you guys.

I've got to say, in the 10-11 years I've been following the WHC, I've never seen the Swiss play like this.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:46 AM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

Quote:
It's tough to watch the guys play their ***** off, and not even get a point out of it.
That's something we can relate to. And I'm pretty sure that, as soon as the QF start, you will read the exact same words from at least one swiss fan on this boards

Something I noticed regarding our PP. As long as the opponent plays a passive box, our powerplay is ridiculously good. But as soon as the defending team plays the boxplay aggressive we struggle to make a single play.
I wonder how many teams will adapt to this when they play us.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:47 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Just for the record, the last time Switzerland won five games in a tournament was in 1948 (without counting lower pools, obviously) when they won a bronze medal with six wins and two losses.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:49 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
Don't think that the reffing was that bad, I could see all the calls (on both sides)

Switzerland with fewer shots but more quality scoring chances. Berra played a solid game, you can see how big he is. Josi is just a pleasure to watch, best defenseman I saw at this years IHWC. And the main advantage Switzerland has this year, they can play 4 lines during 60 minutes and each line is able to play a solid defensive game but also create offense. And Denmark just don't have that depth.
Well for once I actually agreed with Olaf Eller I think the Danes have been very unlucky with the reffing through out the tourney.. Not that it matters now. The Swiss were just more effective.

Scary effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeutrality View Post
That's something we can relate to. And I'm pretty sure that, as soon as the QF start, you will read the exact same words from at least one swiss fan on this boards
Haha the curse of the smaller team Well you guys have an awesome team, so disciplined and so energetic and such great coaching. I will be cheering for you guys unless you meet Canada

And about your PP: yeah it seemed like it. But as soon as we lost Oliver Lauridsen we lost a lot of our physical box play presence.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:54 AM
M3ntalpr0
Neutral fan

Quote:

IMO the result was exactly what it should be. If you can't score you don't deserve to get any points

When the Swiss team turned it on their attacks were much more dangerous than Denmark's.

Still a very good game. I'd love to see the best lineup Denmark can put up but unfortunately we won't see you in the Olympics.

M3ntalpr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:59 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
IMO the result was exactly what it should be. If you can't score you don't deserve to get any points

When the Swiss team turned it on their attacks were much more dangerous than Denmark's.

Still a very good game. I'd love to see the best lineup Denmark can put up but unfortunately we won't see you in the Olympics.
Well it's hard to win a game when you get a lot of shady calls against you, and the same calls don't go the other way.

But I agree, The Swiss are much more effective..The Danes are going to have to let off some of the steam against Belarus. They are frustrated..

Old
05-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Bagge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
You are not the only one. Unfortunately for us our depth are horrible at the current state, so you wont see that for at least another 4 years.

Bagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:20 AM
jonas2244

a lot of shady calls? Come on. You got 4 calls, I didn't see the first one but you can call all the others. The tripping-calls were just clear, you have to call them, also that holding call on Green was ok.

Old
05-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Bank

Quote:
I don't think that Lauridsen came back.

Great goal, great play by Ambühl and Josi.
You're right. Thought I saw #25 but my eyes must have just told the brain what it wanted to hear None the less the reports are that Oliver Lauridsen is okay and will play Monday which is what matters.

Good game where Denmark did good against a opponent who's on a roll and makes the best of its chances.

Kudos to classy Swiss fans and their team. Look like they're in for a great tournament We on the other hand have ourselves a nail-biter, r-rated game against Belarus.

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:31 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
a lot of shady calls? Come on. You got 4 calls, I didn't see the first one but you can call all the others. The tripping-calls were just clear, you have to call them, also that holding call on Green was ok.
I don't know what it is with people on this site, and accepting that other people have a different opinion Yes, I think there were a few shady calls, especially since allot of the same things didn't get called the other way. And I have seen this in most games with Denmark this tourney.

And no, the holding on Green was not ok -

It's just my opinion, you don't have to follow, but im not going to change my mind because of that.

Old
05-11-2013, 08:39 AM
jonas2244

Honestly, I guess we're both not very objective on this topic.

Old
05-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Justinov

I wouldn't say that Denmark get a lot of "shady calls", but we do get many unnecessary ones. Some are bad luck, some bad judgement, some result of being a bit behind in skill level perhaps.
All teams will have some calls by referee mistake. When they come on top of all the ones we already got it feels like we are being extra punished.

If this Danish team can avoid too many penalties and start scoring (especially on power plays) it will look closer to QF than relegation.

I think it was Niklas Wikegård on SV4 that said that: The many danish penalties could be a result of our defensive system where we meet the attacking players fairly static. Fast guy vs static guy can easily end up with the static guy being to late causing penalties.......interesting perspective by the way.

Last edited by Justinov: 05-11-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:44 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Honestly, I guess we're both not very objective on this topic.
Naah, im usually pretty objective about this.. Im half Canadian and still think Canada got more help from the refs in the Denmark game.

I honestly think Denmark have had hard luck with the refs this year. The Danish players, commentators and coaching agree. And normally they are pretty objective.

OK - Maybe "shady" was a bad choice of word! But bad luck and a lot of 50/50s going to the other team is imo suiting, so ill stick with that.

Old
05-11-2013, 08:49 AM
jonas2244

With that I can agree.

Getting called 4 times is not that much, but the PK of Denmark also was not that good today.

Old
05-11-2013, 08:51 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
With that I can agree.

Getting called 4 times is not that much, but the PK of Denmark also was not that good today.
Agreed, our Box Play was horrible today.. But you guys are fantastically effective.. I really hope you run home a medal, unless it'l cost Canada one!

Old
05-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Agreed, our Box Play was horrible today.. But you guys are fantastically effective.. I really hope you run home a medal, unless it'l cost Canada one!
Out box play was probably horrible, because the Swiss PP was so great.
The Czech couldn't score on PP against us, the Swiss had a field day. Say something of how effective the Swiss team is.

Even strength this was a 1-1 game. As were the game Denmark-Czech. Difference was simply 3 PP for the Swiss. We actually outshot the Swiss 33-27, but only Nicklas Jensen could find the goal (great start for him by the way).

Last edited by Justinov: 05-11-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:55 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Out box play was probably horrible, because the Swiss PP was so great.
The Czech couldn't score on PP against us, the Swiss had a field day. Say something of how effective the Swiss team is.
Exactly, they are scary effective! And you can just sense that the team is very homogenous and well coached.

But man, did loosing Olly make a difference, you really get a sense of his presence when he is NOT present.

Old
05-11-2013, 08:58 AM
chokei

The guys from Sport 1 also mentioned the inconsistency in refereeing this year. In one game situation X gets called, in another game its a good play. I have only seen the Swiss games plus Finland-Russia yesterday, and based on that I have to say yes, refereeing is obviously a mess regarding consitency. The first Swiss penalty today was a slashing penalty, and when you compare it to the slash-fest yesterday in the Finland game, it was a love tap. If those slashes yesterday were not called, the one today definitely shouldn't have been called...

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:01 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
The guys from Sport 1 also mentioned the inconsistency in refereeing this year. In one game situation X gets called, in another game its a good play. I have only seen the Swiss games plus Finland-Russia yesterday, and based on that I have to say yes, refereeing is obviously a mess regarding consitency. The first Swiss penalty today was a slashing penalty, and when you compare it to the slash-fest yesterday in the Finland game, it was a love tap. If those slashes yesterday were not called, the one today definitely shouldn't have been called...
I think some of the non NA refs might get caught up in the game, if there are allot of good players or star players on ice..