HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

May 11 • Switzerland 4, Denmark 1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2013, 09:06 AM
  #51
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
The guys from Sport 1 also mentioned the inconsistency in refereeing this year. In one game situation X gets called, in another game its a good play. I have only seen the Swiss games plus Finland-Russia yesterday, and based on that I have to say yes, refereeing is obviously a mess regarding consistency. The first Swiss penalty today was a slashing penalty, and when you compare it to the slash-fest yesterday in the Finland game, it was a love tap. If those slashes yesterday were not called, the one today definitely shouldn't have been called...
Well since you don't have the same referee for all matches it will be refereed differently, since people are different.
Today the referee put down a line for the players to follow that was harsher than the Finland-Russia match where more stuff were allowed. A fairly non-physical game will often have "weaker" calls than a very tough game. In a tough game to have the referee have a forceful line laid down would constantly put people in the penalty box.
Refereeing is mostly about putting down a line that preserve the flow of the game and avoid escalation. Different matches calls for different judgement.
Every referee has to be consistent within the game itself - that's more important than what occurred one match before.
Inconsistency within a game often develops very badly with players trying to take advantage of a shaky referee.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:08 AM
  #52
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Well since you don't have the same referee for all matches it will be refereed differently, since people are different.
Today the referee put down a line for the players to follow that was harsher than the Finland-Russia match where more stuff were allowed. A fairly non-physical game will often have "weaker" calls than a very tough game. In a tough game to have the referee have a forceful line laid down would constantly put people in the penalty box.
Refereeing is mostly about putting down a line that preserve the flow of the game and avoid escalation. Different matches calls for different judgement.
Every referee has to be consistent within the game itself - that's more important than what occurred one match before.
Inconsistency within a game often develops very badly with players trying to take advantage of a shaky referee.
That is what pisses me off... Imo there has been A LOT of it!

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:16 AM
  #53
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
That is what pisses me off... Imo there has been A LOT of it!
Yep that is what irritates everyone - both players and fans.
The problem is that different hockey nations have different kind of acceptance levels in their leagues - and you have multi-national refereeing within each game.
Maybe you should have stable refereeing teams - "refereeing lines".

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:19 AM
  #54
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Yep that is what irritates everyone - both players and fans.
The problem is that different hockey nations have different kind of acceptance levels in their leagues - and you have multi-national refereeing within each game.
Maybe you should have stable refereeing teams - "refereeing lines".
Yeah, I guess that is a clever assesment of it! I never really considered it from that pov.

It's not like today's game was that bad ref-wise, but against the Czechs, it was really bad imo.

But what about the WC this year? Very even and not alllot of Blowouts - I only think Slovenia and Norway have been blowout so far?

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:24 AM
  #55
latvianhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Yeah, I guess that is a clever assesment of it! I never really considered it from that pov.

It's not like today's game was that bad ref-wise, but against the Czechs, it was really bad imo.

But what about the WC this year? Very even and not alllot of Blowouts - I only think Slovenia and Norway have been blowout so far?

Only 3 games. Russia 6:0 Latvia, Canada 7:1 Norway, Switzerland 7:1 Slovenia.

Next games- with 4 goals margin.

latvianhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:26 AM
  #56
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Yeah, I guess that is a clever assesment of it! I never really considered it from that pov.

It's not like today's game was that bad ref-wise, but against the Czechs, it was really bad imo.

But what about the WC this year? Very even and not alllot of Blowouts - I only think Slovenia and Norway have been blowout so far?
and Latvia 0-6 to Russia.
I think it has been a great WC with all these tight matches.

But the Norwegians will surely be proven right about the smaller nations being punished (Denmark and Norway getting a lot of penalties) if Kovalchuk doesn't even get a suspension for both slashing a Finnish guy on the bench and a glowed fist to the head of Pesonen during the match. 1 day suspension for the first and 1-2 days suspension for the second should be minimal.
I would have him removed from the entire tournament for unsportmanlike conduct and disregard for other players health.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.