HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

and the Calder goes to.... [UPDATE: Post #237 Nail Not Nominated]

Old
05-06-2013, 10:17 PM
17Kurri

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I don't get it. Up until last year I always thought that the Calder went to the player that scored the most points, but at least the point leader always got nominated. Then last year I learned that the Calder winner was all about intangibles, like GP, +/-, TOI, etc. So this year we had the guy that was first in goals, tied for first in points, played a full season, had one of the lowest TOI, threw body checks, had a respectable +/- on a bad team, was amongst the leaders in even strength points, GW goals; even though he was on a losing team, PP points, and was one of the youngest rookies. Also, lets not forget about the rookie defenceman that was 12th amongst all defenceman in scoring, had more points then one of the forward nominees as a friggin defenceman, and had 11 more points then his closest rookie defenceman competitor.

So we know that voting isn't about points or intangibles anymore. Is voting now based on playing on a division leading team, being a late pick and showing hustle? I'm so confused now.
Don't be confused, the NHL has an unofficial policy that does not allow the Oilers to win the Calder, so why even nominate any rookie on our team?

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:20 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
What a ****ing joke. What an INCREDIBLY embarrassing list chosen by what is clearly a bunch of hack writers. Gallagher I can see; but Saad and Huberdeau over Brodin and Yakupov? Oh boy... This award has lost whatever respectability it might have had; but after last year, and RNH getting fifth place votes, that tells you all you need to know about the people both voting for and choosing the candidates. Once again, incredibly embarrassing for the league.

Yakupov and Brodin both had as strong seasons--if not stronger--than any other rookies. They're also easily the best of the bunch going forward, with Brodin likely a top-2 Dman for a long time to come, and Yakupov likely a 2nd-line winger next season, and a 1st-liner very soon after, if not before. As for Gallagher, Saad and Huberdeau? Huberdeau was so brutal at the centre position, bleeding goals faster than the Titanic was taking on water, that he was moved to the wing--a position he's likely to stay at. Once the Panthers get some decent players, he's likely moving down a line to the 2nd line RW position and staying there, because he's just not a very dominate player in any respect. Saad and Gallagher are likely life time 3rd liners, unless they're being flanked by superstars by the likes of Hossa and Teows.

What matters most is that we have the best player of the bunch moving forward (along with Minny). Yakupov is going to have a career--provided he can stay healthy--to put the 3 voted candidates to shame, so we'll get the last laugh. Also, it's a slam-dunk that Gallagher will win the award anyway because of the writers' love affair with the Canadiens; but it still sucks to get snubbed on the nomination. Maybe because it would be harder to justify a Gallagher win over Yakupov or Brodin than Saad and Huberdeau; 'nothing would surprise me from these jokers.

Last edited by KarmaPolice: 05-06-2013 at 10:37 PM.
KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:49 PM
shogun99

Should the voting system be changed from writers to GM's or NHLPA voting?

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:27 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yup, there really isn't a doubt, but the Calder this year has just been stupid, they should have given it to Fasth if they were going to give it to an "off the board" pick, or Holtby(because they would have seen him before going to bed), is he still eligible?

Fasth would have been a great rookie of the year pick... but he's like 40 years old and doesn't qualify. Holtby isn't a rookie either according to the qualification criteria.

I'm not surprised at the nominations. I figured the pair of Oilers would be snubbed and sure enough, neither were nominated.

Gallagher will win it... certainly an easy pick over Huberdeau and Saad.

Yak will be a great player and so will Schultz. I have no problems with once again seeing no Calder in Edmonton... many great rookies have gone on to have excellent careers without winning any silverware in their rookie campaign.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:31 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Absolute travesty. Almost threw my phone at the ground at work today when I saw the press release.

How does the leading goal-scorer and point-getter playing with inferior talent in a lower-scoring conference not get a nomination?

Saad played with Toews and Hossa
Huberdeau played primary offensive minutes and PP time on a poorer team
Gallagher was pretty valuable for MTL and I can justify his nomination

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
IMHO: Professional Scouts, or a separate committee that actually watches all rookies play all their games.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:48 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Definitely not GMs. GMs probably don't watch games that don't pertain to their team (or potential trade targets).

It would be a lot better than writers, though. Anyone can become a writer.

Look at the vote last year. Several writers had RNH in 4th or 5th

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Fasth would have been a great rookie of the year pick... but he's like 40 years old and doesn't qualify. Holtby isn't a rookie either according to the qualification criteria.

I'm not surprised at the nominations. I figured the pair of Oilers would be snubbed and sure enough, neither were nominated.

Gallagher will win it... certainly an easy pick over Huberdeau and Saad.

Yak will be a great player and so will Schultz. I have no problems with once again seeing no Calder in Edmonton... many great rookies have gone on to have excellent careers without winning any silverware in their rookie campaign.
Saad will win it for GWG and +/-, oh and for being on the Hawks.

If Gallagher wins it, and I'm sorry but I'm going to say it, it's because he's short.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Lowe in Oil

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Hockey Nightmare

IMO, the combination of the eastern bias, russian factor, and dislike for the player, all factored in. They felt they could get away with not giving him a nom since the points were so close, so they didn't. All ********, but unfortunately the case imo. Yak needed a few more points to be nominated (lmao probably at least 10 more to win).

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:55 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

pretty sad that a rookie who lead his entire team (and NHL rookies) in goal scoring doesn't even get a top 3 consideration

Saad play with the high-flying Hawks
Huberdeau gets to shoot on TB and Carolina's goalies all year..plus plays in the SE division
Gallagher I like

Brodin and Yak got HOSED

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 11:04 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
pretty sad that a rookie who lead his entire team (and NHL rookies) in goal scoring doesn't even get a top 3 consideration

Saad play with the high-flying Hawks
Huberdeau gets to shoot on TB and Carolina's goalies all year..plus plays in the SE division
Gallagher I like

Brodin and Yak got HOSED
Just look at the timezones those players play in

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:48 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
IMO, the combination of the eastern bias, russian factor, and dislike for the player, all factored in. They felt they could get away with not giving him a nom since the points were so close, so they didn't. All ********, but unfortunately the case imo. Yak needed a few more points to be nominated (lmao probably at least 10 more to win).
He just needs to win the Art Ross in a full season to shut them up.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:30 PM
nightfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
What a ****ing joke. What an INCREDIBLY embarrassing list chosen by what is clearly a bunch of hack writers. Gallagher I can see; but Saad and Huberdeau over Brodin and Yakupov? Oh boy... This award has lost whatever respectability it might have had; but after last year, and RNH getting fifth place votes, that tells you all you need to know about the people both voting for and choosing the candidates. Once again, incredibly embarrassing for the league.

Yakupov and Brodin both had as strong seasons--if not stronger--than any other rookies. They're also easily the best of the bunch going forward, with Brodin likely a top-2 Dman for a long time to come, and Yakupov likely a 2nd-line winger next season, and a 1st-liner very soon after, if not before. As for Gallagher, Saad and Huberdeau? Huberdeau was so brutal at the centre position, bleeding goals faster than the Titanic was taking on water, that he was moved to the wing--a position he's likely to stay at. Once the Panthers get some decent players, he's likely moving down a line to the 2nd line RW position and staying there, because he's just not a very dominate player in any respect. Saad and Gallagher are likely life time 3rd liners, unless they're being flanked by superstars by the likes of Hossa and Teows.

What matters most is that we have the best player of the bunch moving forward (along with Minny). Yakupov is going to have a career--provided he can stay healthy--to put the 3 voted candidates to shame, so we'll get the last laugh. Also, it's a slam-dunk that Gallagher will win the award anyway because of the writers' love affair with the Canadiens; but it still sucks to get snubbed on the nomination. Maybe because it would be harder to justify a Gallagher win over Yakupov or Brodin than Saad and Huberdeau; 'nothing would surprise me from these jokers.
Also don't underestimate the egos of some of these so called "hockey expert" journalists and writers. Some of them will nominate dark horse candidates just so they will seem more knowledgeable and set themselves apart from the pack. Just another reason why the voting for this award is a joke.

nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:51 AM
MessierThanThou

Hopkins deserved it last year and Yakupov this year. There definitely is a conspiracy against the Oilers. I still think Pronger deserved the Smythe in 2006.

Last edited by MessierThanThou: 05-11-2013 at 03:03 AM. Reason: See below.
MessierThanThou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:01 AM
MessierThanThou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Also don't underestimate the egos of some of these so called "hockey expert" journalists and writers. Some of them will nominate dark horse candidates just so they will seem more knowledgeable and set themselves apart from the pack. Just another reason why the voting for this award is a joke.
So true.

These writers also made up their minds mid-season as to whom they wanted for the Calder, and when Yakupov started tearing it up late in the year, they didn't feel like adjusting their opinions after spending most of the year heaping praise on lesser players who were on great teams and getting better opportunities. So yeah, it's all ego.

MessierThanThou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierThanThou View Post
Hopkins deserved it last year and Yakupov this year. There definitely is a conspiracy against the Oilers. I still think Pronger deserved the Smythe in 2006.
We just gotta win. That will shut the critics up, until then we won't get any respect.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:39 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
We just gotta win. That will shut the critics up, until then we won't get any respect.
That's the sad truth. If Chicago was as bad as they were before the last lockout, I'm sure nobody would be talking about Saad either. It's a shame that, playing in the West, to be the "best" rookie, you essentially have to be on a contender, but its been proven the last 2 years with Nuge, Yak, Brodin, Schultz, etc getting snubbed

05-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Drydenwasthebest

I can understand a lot of the complaints on here. I was also stunned that Yakupov didn't get a nomination at the very least. As I have said, I think Gallagher deserves it, but it would have been equally acceptable to see Yakupov win it. For him to not even be nominated is brutally wrong.

I wish some Oilers fans would refrain from putting Gallagher down, though. I am not going to say Gallagher will have a better career than Yakupov, but I think Gallagher will have a very good career and it is not necessary to try and build Yakupov at the expense of Gallagher.

Let's hope Gallagher and Yakupov lead their respective teams to a Cup final next year!

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
I can understand a lot of the complaints on here. I was also stunned that Yakupov didn't get a nomination at the very least. As I have said, I think Gallagher deserves it, but it would have been equally acceptable to see Yakupov win it. For him to not even be nominated is brutally wrong.

I wish some Oilers fans would refrain from putting Gallagher down, though. I am not going to say Gallagher will have a better career than Yakupov, but I think Gallagher will have a very good career and it is not necessary to try and build Yakupov at the expense of Gallagher.

Let's hope Gallagher and Yakupov lead their respective teams to a Cup final next year!
So a Habs fan thinks his player deserves it? No kidding?

If Gallagher gets it, it's because he's short/small.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So a Habs fan thinks his player deserves it? No kidding?

If Gallagher gets it, it's because he's short/small.
Yes, a Habs fan thinks Gallagher deserves it. I bet Oilers fans think Yakupov deserves it. Both groups of fans have valid points. I guess you missed the part where I said "it would have been equally acceptable to see Yakupov win it". What? A Habs fan saying Yakupov would be equally deserving of winning it? Yup. I am a Habs fan, first, a hockey fan a very, very close second. I can evaluate things with an objective eye. Can you?

If Gallagher wins it, it will be based on his skill, point production, and impact on his team's success...and because he is short, I guess...

Old
05-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Tw0Shoes

Quote:
Yes, a Habs fan thinks Gallagher deserves it. I bet Oilers fans think Yakupov deserves it. Both groups of fans have valid points. I guess you missed the part where I said "it would have been equally acceptable to see Yakupov win it". What? A Habs fan saying Yakupov would be equally deserving of winning it? Yup. I am a Habs fan, first, a hockey fan a very, very close second. I can evaluate things with an objective eye. Can you?

If Gallagher wins it, it will be based on his skill, point production, and impact on his team's success...and because he is short, I guess...
equally acceptable? He led rookies in scoring and points. Give me a break.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:01 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:

If Gallagher wins, its also because he is a Montreal Canadien. More voters from Montreal, more votes for Habs players. That's why Subban will win the Norris, why when the results come in Galchenyuk will have received 4th place votes, why Jose Theodore won the Hart trophy over Jarome Iginla back in the day. The writers voting for these awards are b.s., they are too biased to decide such things.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Anybody know where to find the list of people voting? As in, how do they determine who votes? Sports writers come in all forms, including today's electronic media..

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
equally acceptable? He led rookies in scoring and points. Give me a break.
Yakupov was able to get a whopping 3 more points because he played more minutes per game (42 seconds), had more shifts (77), and played 4 more games than Gallagher. Yakupov was also a -4 to Gallagher's +10. They both had the same number of hits, and Gallagher blocked more shots. Gallagher was also instrumental in helping his team go from worst in the East to 2nd in the East. So, YES, I do believe that Gallagher is equally worthy of the Calder trophy as Yakupov. The Calder goes to the best overall rookie, not ONLY the rookie with the most points (which is why defencemen and Goalies are eligible for the Calder). Now you can enjoy your break that I willingly give to you.