HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

vCash: 500
Sign Mike Smith 3 years

Old
05-11-2013, 08:44 AM
The Angry Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Sign Mike Smith 3 years
You're more likely to get the Smith of Dallas and Tampa than the Phoenix version. Remember how signing a Phoenix goalie turned out for Philly. He's a product of Tippett's system.

Edit: I should say I don't think he's as good as he was last year in Phoenix but not as bad as he was on Tampa. In my opinion he's not the best option. Also, I know about his injuries and all but if we're going the FA route I'd wait for Halak next year. (Or Lundqvust...I wish)

Last edited by The Angry Pirate: 05-11-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old
05-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Pirate View Post
You're more likely to get the Smith of Dallas and Tampa than the Phoenix version. Remember how signing a Phoenix goalie turned out for Philly. He's a product of Tippett's system.

Edit: I should say I don't think he's as good as he was last year in Phoenix but not as bad as he was on Tampa. In my opinion he's not the best option. Also, I know about his injuries and all but if we're going the FA route I'd wait for Halak next year. (Or Lundqvust...I wish)
Suggested that rather then trade for a goalie. The best would be Vancouver buying out Luongo and becoming a ufa and see Shero go after him

Old
05-11-2013, 10:01 AM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Pirate View Post

Smith has also publicly stated that now that he's established himself as a starter he won't sign a short term deal. He specifically mentioned "one and two year" contracts, but I doubt he'd go for a three either.

I'm going to guess that we see Smith sign somewhere in the 5-years @ $5.5-million range.

The big problem Shero is facing is that the goalie market is virtually non-existent. A bunch of aging (35+) goalies who would make serviceable backups, but not shoulder the load anymore - but they already have that in Vokoun. Even with the weak market, I don't believe Fleury has any trade value anymore. Even teams who might be interested in his services aren't going to take on his contract right now - not when they could sign him much cheaper in 2 years or if the Pens buy him out.

Shero's in a position where he probably can't trade Fleury, but if he buys him out he's going to have to move other assets to bring in a replacement and I'm no so sure he'd want to do that. Regarding Bernier, I think the reported "1st rounder" is mostly speculation. They're going to qualify him, someone's going to throw a moderate ($3+-mil) or big ($5-mil) offer sheet at him, and the Kings are going to get at least a 1st and a 3rd in compensation.

Last edited by radapex: 05-11-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old
05-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Burgs

What about Ryan Miller? UFA next summer when Vokoun's contract expires and Fleury could be bought for less. Maybe the Sabres want to go with Enroth as their starter and spend those 6 million elsewhere?

Old
05-11-2013, 10:57 AM
mpp9

I'd like to see us go after a goalie who can handle the puck well. It'd make it insanely hard to dump it in on us with the way our system is set up already. I feel like a significant portion of zone time against us is due to teams exposing Fleury's idiot play with the puck.

Mike Smith would be a good example, but he's looking to get paid, seems like a wackjob and probably won't be wort his contract. If we're trading/buying out Fleury, I don't see us paying Smith similar money.

Who are some good puck handling goalies?

Old
05-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
What about Ryan Miller? UFA next summer when Vokoun's contract expires and Fleury could be bought for less. Maybe the Sabres want to go with Enroth as their starter and spend those 6 million elsewhere?
The Sabres would probably want young prospects and picks since it looks like they're rebuilding. With Enroth and now Hackett (Pominville trade) they can afford to move Miller who I doubt wants to stay there. So questionis do we really want to trade picks and propects?

Old
05-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Literally 0% chance Fleury is going anywhere.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Agreed. Sad, but true. We're stuck with him until his contract runs out.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:58 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
If Vokoun has a stellar postseason for us, I think the chances are alot higher than that. Moving his salary would allow us to retain virtually the same team we're icing this year. If I'm a GM, I'm at least thinking about it.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:59 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

This **** right here is why you don't neglect drafting goalies for so many years.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
If Vokoun has a stellar postseason for us, I think the chances are alot higher than that. Moving his salary would allow us to retain virtually the same team we're icing this year. If I'm a GM, I'm at least thinking about it.
I think it's going to be a lot more difficult than you'd think to find a team to take him at $5M/yr when he's failed repeatedly on one of the best teams in the NHL for the past 9 years.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:04 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
I think it's going to be a lot more difficult than you'd think to find a team to take him at $5M/yr when he's failed repeatedly on one of the best teams in the NHL for the past 9 years.
Let him choose his own team. Buy him out.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Let him choose his own team. Buy him out.
Doesn't a portion of his contract count against the cap if he's bought out?

Old
05-11-2013, 12:06 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Nope.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
I think the return would be next to nothing, but im sure there are a couple teams that may take him. 5M for 2 more years isn't terrible. It may even help a team get to the floor.

Leafs, Flames, Devils, Isles, Edmonton, Avalanche, and Phoenix are all teams that are going to be in search of a goalie. While inner-division and whether MAF is an upgrade over what these teams currently have can be argued, they all have a need.

The one good thing about a lot of the teams I listed is that they didn't make the playoffs this year. So Fleury exploding in the post-season shouldn't be a problem next year for them!

Old
05-11-2013, 12:17 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
If you're gonna depend on a 37 year old Vokoun next season then you'd better make damn well sure you also find a solid 1B type of goalie, because theres no way I see TV being able to maintain a high level of play for 50+ games.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:19 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
This **** right here is why you don't neglect drafting goalies for so many years.
Very few people could've anticipated Fleury struggling this much well into his late 20's...

Old
05-11-2013, 12:21 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
Very few people could've anticipated Fleury struggling this much well into his late 20's...
That's the point.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:22 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
If you're gonna depend on a 37 year old Vokoun next season then you'd better make damn well sure you also find a solid 1B type of goalie, because theres no way I see TV being able to maintain a high level of play for 50+ games.
I don't think anyone is advocating going with anything but a 1A/1B set up next year. The goalie market is in our favor right now if anything. If Shero decided to move on from Fleury, I'd worry very little about finding a suitable replacement for half the money.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Nope.

Buy the ******* out, then! Throw that money at a Bernier offer-sheet.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Jacob

I think Ryan Miller sucks myself, and to boot he costs more than Fleury.

We need to spend less than 7 million at the goaltending position, not more.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
The Sabres would probably want young prospects and picks since it looks like they're rebuilding. With Enroth and now Hackett (Pominville trade) they can afford to move Miller who I doubt wants to stay there. So questionis do we really want to trade picks and propects?
I meant in 2014 when both Vokoun and Miller are UFAs. I doubt we do anything until then, Fleury will get one last chance.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
I meant in 2014 when both Vokoun and Miller are UFAs. I doubt we do anything until then, Fleury will get one last chance.
With the cap dropping and with the ability to buy Fleury out with no penalty.. there is literally no better time than now (this offseason) to make the change.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Nope were allowed to 2 buyouts that will not affect the cap. Part of the new CBA

Closed Thread