HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 10:54 AM
hersky77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
Available that could give you the same or better:

Smith, Backstrom, Halak, Bernier, Luongo, Theodore ( he did have his superstar season under Therrien's system ). And I didn't make any research but the market for goalie is pretty strong this summer.

Mike smith- flash in the pan
Nicklas Backstrom- not going anywhere
Halak- Back up
Bernier- Back up
Luongo- Back up with a nine year contract
Theodore- Washed up

None of these goalies are remotely as good as price

Old
05-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Those quality scoring chances look like that because they're always in the back of the net.

Francois Allaire said it better, the other team doesn't always have to fight to get their goals, they come easy. Look at how hard we had to battle to get our goal against Ottawa. All Ottawa had to do is to get themselve 5 good scoring chances and they kney they would have at least 2 goals.
This is where obvious momentum shifts happen. If a team works it's collective ***** off for a goal, and the other team easily responds it's deflating.

People don't realize that this was the magic of Halak when he was here. He made goals stand up as winners. The team could expect to win in the third period and so they did.

That whole Halak/PRice BS thread was full of nonsense about quality of competition and other faux analysis. Halak was focused at the times momentum was created or lost and his team responded positively.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:01 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
This is where obvious momentum shifts happen. If a team works it's collective ***** off for a goal, and the other team easily responds it's deflating.

People don't realize that this was the magic of Halak when he was here. He made goals stand up as winners. The team could expect to win in the third period and so they did.

That whole Halak/PRice BS thread was full of nonsense about quality of competition and other faux analysis. Halak was focused at the times momentum was created or lost and his team responded positively.
You both failed to understand what Allaire was saying.

Pretty sure he wasn't talking about goaltending.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:32 AM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersky77 View Post
Mike smith- flash in the pan
Nicklas Backstrom- not going anywhere
Halak- Back up
Bernier- Back up
Luongo- Back up with a nine year contract
Theodore- Washed up

None of these goalies are remotely as good as price
Then you believe that Price is more then a back-up. One thing is for sure at least 2 or not 3 of these goaler proved something that Price never did. They can be money in the playoffs.

I've got news for you. Price is really not one of the best goalie in the league so stop treathing him like he is.

Only thing going for us is he is he had the value of one plus his potential. So why not use that to our advantage.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:06 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Available that could give you the same or better:

Smith, Backstrom, Halak, Bernier, Luongo, Theodore ( he did have his superstar season under Therrien's system ). And I didn't make any research but the market for goalie is pretty strong this summer.
I dismiss Bernier. Of all the players on the list he has proven absolutely nothing at the NHL level. Montreal is not the place for him. Has T-BO written all over him.

Theo is old.

Backstrom will cost the same as Price and has done nothing of significance to prove he is an upgrade.

Smith will command the same salary as Price. He is also 5+ years older than Price. Besides one nice little run last season, what has he done to be anointed the Habs starter? Price had one top 5 season too.

Halak...that ship has sailed. He has become injury prone. We can all be nostalgic about the magic in 2010. Hasn't done much since then has he? Can't even keep his starter's job nor can he prove that he can carry the load for 60+ games.

That leaves us with Luongo. If it wasn't for his age and contract, I'd probably do it. He's a great goalie in a bad situation. Still, he doesn't have many years left and should be beginning his decline.

Like I said, we had this discussion and couldn't find an answer that fits.

Closed Thread