HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Caps Game 5: see you on sunday

View Poll Results: 3 Stars of the Game
Henrik Lundqvist 79 85.87%
John Moore 4 4.35%
Anton Stralman 10 10.87%
Michael Del Zotto 0 0%
Dan Girardi 2 2.17%
Ryan McDonagh 18 19.57%
Steve Eminger 2 2.17%
Arron Asham 4 4.35%
Taylor Pyatt 0 0%
Derek Dorsett 7 7.61%
Ryane Clowe 2 2.17%
Brad Richards 2 2.17%
Rick Nash 4 4.35%
Carl Hagelin 11 11.96%
Derek Stepan 3 3.26%
Ryan Callahan 0 0%
Bryan Boyle 13 14.13%
Derick Brassard 34 36.96%
Mats Zuccarello 19 20.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-11-2013, 09:02 AM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Blaming this on Boyle is idiotic. Seriously. The guy has been one of our best forwards from top to bottom the entire series. Draws, physical play, hustle, scoring, PK'ing, etc...

The problem here is with the sentence that precedes what he's doing well:

The guy has been one of our best forwards from top to bottom the entire series

We should be saying that about guys like Nash, Richards, Callahan, & Stepan. We're down 3-2 because we can't say that about any of them.
It's just that there's a difference between those underachieving guys. When your players aren't performing sometimes you have to look at the opposition. Maybe they're doing a good job. Even Nash who looks absolutely lazy, gets so much attention. Boyle on the other hand did something incredibly selfish. It was just inexcusable.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:23 AM
OverTheCap

This team gets outmuscled to the puck so easily, and their boardplay has gotten worse since last year. There aren't many players on this team who are good at protecting the puck.

Brassard has been a revelation offensively in the playoffs, but he is a bit careless with the puck in the neutral zone and his own zone.

I've been quite critical of Boyle in the past, and the penalty he took was beyond stupid, but he has really exceeded expectations in the playoffs. It's silly to blame him for the loss when players such as Nash and Callahan are underperforming in comparison to how they have played in the regular season.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:24 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Conveniently ignoring the best season and post season we've had since 1994 in the analysis. Clever.
Yes. It was all coaching. Obviously last season was the exception.

Ted Sator and Colin Camble also made it to the CF. How long did they last?

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:30 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
It will only be proven an anomaly if we don't achieve something similar in the next year or 2. That's the problem with analyzing statistics before they're complete. Before our terrible start, it seemed like a natural progression (After addressing the teams primary need, a 1C in Richards).

Teams rise and fall ALL the time. We've been consistently in the mix. The only time we missed the playoffs was by, quite literally, the smallest of margins: a shootout.

If we're being truly logical here, judging a team by playoff exits is nothing short of asinine. We saw 2 game sevens last season. A bounce in the other direction, and we could have been bounced in either the 1st or second round.

Another example: the Devils. They faced OT in game 7 of the first round, and if you remember, a Flordia player struck post. The Devils would go on to reach the cup finals, but we all know that they were a quarter of an inch from an embarrassing first round loss.

Can we really complete an analysis based on a quarter of an inch.

Heroes are made in the playoffs. Stories, legends, cups, memories, they're all a result of the set up, the drama; and don't get me wrong, I love it. But if you're going to ask me what sample i'm going to lend more weight to, it's going to be the 82 game season, not the 20 playoff games.
Ill give next year bc I don't thionk its torterella's fault that both gabs AND the big Brich fell off a cliff this year. But that's it

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
So what you're telling me is they've never won a hockey game in Washington?

So they've never won a playoff game in Washington?

They've never come back from 3-2 against Washington?

They've never won an elimination game in Washington?

1 for their last 11 in washington

The Rangers have never won a game 7 on the road

in the last 4 series against they have not won an elimination game in Washington

Sorry, but these are facts. The Series is effectively over, even if they win on sunday.

They just cannot win in Washington in the playoffs. Get the offseason thread ready.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post

in the last 4 series against they have not won an elimination game in Washington

Sorry, but these are facts. The Series is effectively over, even if they win on sunday.

They just cannot win in Washington in the playoffs. Get the offseason thread ready.
So funny that someone can say a series is over because they have to win 1 game at home then 1 on the road. I mean seriously its one game, who cares about history of late in Washington just get there

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
So funny that someone can say a series is over because they have to win 1 game at home then 1 on the road. I mean seriously its one game, who cares about history of late in Washington just get there
Yeah who cares about history, it's only been constantly proving itself right with the Rangers time and time again.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:01 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Rangers suck balls on the road. Can they win game 6? I think so. Can they win game 7? Sure, but the odds of them winning game 7 on the road is quite slim.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:04 AM
segmentation fault
welp

Seriously. Rick Nash is ****ing terrible.

Quote:
Yeah who cares about history, it's only been constantly proving itself right with the Rangers time and time again.
You would think history would change after a while. Not this team. They prove day in and day out they arent going to win.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
If we could play in other areas besides our own zone then yes. Yes we have the possibility

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Brassard will become a shot blocking robot next year. Guaranteed.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Synergy27

People blaming Boyle are just ridiculous.

My take on this team right now is that it's a ****ing miracle that they're even still in the conversation given the absolute no-show performances from Nash, Callahan and Richards. The supposed backbone of the ****ing offense is completely non-existent and this team is still giving the Caps basically all they can handle. I guess there can be some solace taken from that, but I can't help but be pissed off by it because if those guys were playing at the level that they are capable of this team would probably be the juggernaut many were expecting them to be before the season started.

I'm particularly pissed because I was absolutely certain that Nash was going to be a major upgrade over Gaborik when the playoffs rolled around. I'm not saying that I think current-state Gaborik would be helping more than Nash is right now, but jeez, what a disappointment. If he's not injured, he better be seriously embarrassed, especially considering the job Brassard has done since he's been here.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:05 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

First off, if they want to win game 6, get four coherent lines and stick with them. Miller needs to play because he can play center, even if it means limiting his shifts and protecting him.

Kreider is a no brainer of course too.

Keep the offensive pressure. They either got scared or contenet when Boyle scored that goal.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:09 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I'm sorry, just because a guy scored a goal doesn't give him the right to take a SELFISH penalty like that. Not a wash. A wash would have been if he screwed up defensively. Taking a selfish penalty trumps scoring a goal.
If taking a penalty trumps a goal, what is your evaluation of the rest of the squad that didn't take a penalty or score a goal?

Seems to me that scoring the team's only goal and taking a penalty puts a player light years ahead of all of the other players who didn't hit the box score.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:22 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If taking a penalty trumps a goal, what is your evaluation of the rest of the squad that didn't take a penalty or score a goal?

Seems to me that scoring the team's only goal and taking a penalty puts a player light years ahead of all of the other players who didn't hit the box score.
Poor play is one thing, selfish play is unacceptable.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:

Here's another fact...

History is irrelevant when playing a game.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:34 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Poor play is one thing, selfish play is unacceptable.
With all due respect, what Boyle did was react. Selfishness involves conscious decision making.

You didn't answer my question, though. Which Rangers were better than Boyle in the game?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
With all due respect, what Boyle did was react. Selfishness involves conscious decision making.

You didn't answer my question, though. Which Rangers were better than Boyle in the game?
Brassard and Hank are 2. That's probably where it ends.

05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
beastly115

Watched the game DVR.

Thought it was a pretty evenly matched game. Just didn't get the bounces our way. Boyle is a moron for taking that penalty. Richards and Nash need to get their heads out of their *****. Other than the PP, I hardly noticed Richards out there. Nash looks out of his element. Doesn't look like he's the playoff type of guy. What a bummer.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Garv23

I'd love those of you imaginary internet players saying Nash has been terrible to try and play through double and triple teaming. That is no easy task. It's frustrating as hell to watch, but he's being completely blanketed every time he gets the puck.

You want to talk terrible...my top two choices would be Richards and Del Zotto. To me the penalty DZ took was much worse than Boyle's. Yeah it was stupid because reaction penalties unfortunately always get called. But to be honest, he was reacting to a real dick move by Ribero. Hard not to. DZ just empty-headedly took a guy out with the puck about 15 feet away. This kid's in another planet sometimes.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:44 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

Ok, so next time I'm holding a knife in my hands and someone says something about me that I don't like, I'll react by stabbing him/her to death. Boyle is an adult "reacting" is not a good enough excuse I'm sorry to say. We have opportunities to react quite often in life but don't for various reasons.

Did you absolve Chris Simon when he reacted to Hollweg by slashing him in the head?

Old
05-11-2013, 10:46 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
I'd love those of you imaginary internet players saying Nash has been terrible to try and play through double and triple teaming. That is no easy task. It's frustrating as hell to watch, but he's being completely blanketed every time he gets the puck.

You want to talk terrible...my top two choices would be Richards and Del Zotto. To me the penalty DZ took was much worse than Boyle's. Yeah it was stupid because reaction penalties unfortunately always get called. But to be honest, he was reacting to a real dick move by Ribero. Hard not to. DZ just empty-headedly took a guy out with the puck about 15 feet away. This kid's in another planet sometimes.
That play happens multiple times in every game. That was benign compared to a lot of **** that goes on. It really wasn't that bad. I'm not even mad that Ribeiro didn't get called for a penalty there.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:49 AM
aufheben
Global Moderator

vCash: 69
Quote:

It's almost like you want them to lose.

aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post

Imaginary internet players. Haha, ok.

Every top player gets blanketed. If he's got two/three guys on him, then that means someone is wide open to pass to. Nash has been a major disappointment in this series, no two ways about it.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:06 AM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
That's the thing for me. You want to ignore the past, you want to look at the trends over the years and say it has to end eventually, but when it comes down to it the stats and streaks are still telling. The most likely scenario is always just that. No matter how badly you want to hope and believe otherwise.

It's up to them to break the cycle and prove the past wrong.