HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reisen

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 10:23 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Reisen

Watching the Canada-Davos game, it's really clear why the Oilers drafted Reisen...

The guy has awesome skill. He is outstanding with the puck, and has great vision. It's too bad he didn't work out, because he is a pretty skilled guy.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:26 AM
speeds

I still say he never got a fair shot

Old
12-30-2003, 10:28 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I still say he never got a fair shot
He got a fair shot... he just never did anything with it...

The commentators were saying something along the lines of he was one of the most skilled players taken in that draft, but he didn't have the mental toughness required to take the time and develop his skills in the minors.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:28 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Watching the Canada-Davos game, it's really clear why the Oilers drafted Reisen...

The guy has awesome skill. He is outstanding with the puck, and has great vision. It's too bad he didn't work out, because he is a pretty skilled guy.
Ahh the Swiss Miss. Great skill but just couldn't get it done for the OILERS.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:31 AM
speeds

Quote:
He got a fair shot... he just never did anything with it...
disagree. He never did much, but wasn't put in a position to succeed either IMO

Old
12-30-2003, 10:34 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
He was given time on the top line in Hamilton, then he was on the 2nd line in Edmonton for a stretch.

After he got demoted from Edmonton, he fell apart completely, and I think he even ended up in the ECHL that year (or the year after...).

Old
12-30-2003, 10:37 AM
speeds

Quote:
He was given time on the top line in Hamilton, then he was on the 2nd line in Edmonton for a stretch.

After he got demoted from Edmonton, he fell apart completely, and I think he even ended up in the ECHL that year (or the year after...).
I'm aware of his history

Old
12-30-2003, 10:39 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
I'm aware of his history
Alright... so how come you feel he didn't get a fair shot?

Old
12-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Lowetide

Agree with speeds on this. Riesen had an exceptional camp, broke with the team on the 4th (Bulldog) line, but that was the year they were calling everything and MacT rode his pp and pk units early on. Swanson and Riesen got sent out, Cleary moved up to the 3line and that was it.

Riesen got a dozen NHL games, and I'd be surprised if he averaged 10 minutes a night.

On the other hand, it's prepared us for the amount of playing time we can expect Jani Rita to get when he comes up to Edmonton.

Scouting Europe is a waste of time if you don't play these kids. And before you sayHemsky and Semenov both are Euros who played junior in Canada.

Let me ask something: how many Euro trained prospects have had success since Craig MacTavish became coach?

Old
12-30-2003, 10:52 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

I heard that comment by the sportsnet announcers and started to laugh.
especially when that draft consisted of: Joe Thorton, Patrick Marleau, Olli Jokinen, Roberto Luongo, Sergei Samsonov, Marian Hossa, and Mike York.

The Spengler Cup is hardly the NHL. When there's next to no hitting, Riesen can excel.

You wanna talk about a player that didn't have the mental toughness to make the NHL - what about Tony Hand? I know it's the British League but those are some crazy numbers.

Tony Hand's stats

Old
12-30-2003, 10:59 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Let me ask something: how many Euro trained prospects have had success since Craig MacTavish became coach?
There you go...you have just jinxed Mikhnov.

Old
12-30-2003, 11:03 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Agree with speeds on this. Riesen had an exceptional camp, broke with the team on the 4th (Bulldog) line, but that was the year they were calling everything and MacT rode his pp and pk units early on. Swanson and Riesen got sent out, Cleary moved up to the 3line and that was it.

Riesen got a dozen NHL games, and I'd be surprised if he averaged 10 minutes a night.
If memory serves me correctly, the bulldog line ended up being essentially the 2nd power play unit, at least for the first few games that season. Also, like most callups in the past 6 or 7 years for the Oilers, he got his initial taste of NHL life and was sent back down. It was up to him to prove that he wanted to be an NHL player, and he never did. He basically gave up that year in Hamilton, and he still notched 54 points... I would have loved to have see him actually try that season.

Quote:
On the other hand, it's prepared us for the amount of playing time we can expect Jani Rita to get when he comes up to Edmonton.
Just like any other young player, you have to make sure they earn ice time to start with, and reward them as they do what you ask them too. You don't throw a callup from the AHL into 18 minutes of NHL action.

The main difference between Rita and Reisen was that when Rita has been demoted, he has shown the ability to suck it up and perform... Reisen never did. He was way to talented to not dominate the AHL, and he never did.

Quote:
Scouting Europe is a waste of time if you don't play these kids. And before you sayHemsky and Semenov both are Euros who played junior in Canada.

How many Euro trained prospects have been drafted and invited to the Oilers camps since Mac-T has been coach, and how many of them appeared to have a legit chance to make the team?

The only ones I can remember are Rita and Reisen. Guys like Haakana, Markkanen, Luoma, etc weren't prospects, so they don't really count. The Oilers have only picked two Euro trained prospects in the past 4 years within the first 3 rounds (Mikhnov and Rita), and those are the kind of guys you are thinking will make the team. Out of those 2, one of them hasn't even been to an Oilers camp yet.

Old
12-30-2003, 11:10 AM
Digger12

So what happened to Riesen after he went to St. Louis? It looks like he didn't even play in their farm system, he just went straight to Europe.

Regardless of whether or not he got a fair shake w/ the Oilers, it sure seems like he hasn't shown much interest in coming back to the NHL.

Old
12-30-2003, 04:18 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
British League is like the ECHL. or thats wot i think GB Editor said

Old
12-30-2003, 05:44 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

well we have a bunch of swiss misses on this team. lack the mental toughness or desire to actually succeed.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:08 PM
aspin

Umm no

Quote:

If I am not mistaken are you not the same person that said that the Oilers should make a spot for Henrich at the beginning of this year before training camp on their top six and that he needs that ice-time? Henrich can't even earn the top 6 in Toronto and that is the whole deal there. Reisen did not earn his ice-time. Please don't forget that St.Louis gave up on him as well.

Old
12-31-2003, 02:41 AM
tsunami

Quote:

He definitely has above average skills, but he is very frustrating to watch because he avoids so much the physical aspect of the game which maybe is possible to do here in Switerzland but totally impossible in NA - Actually it is a shame for a guy of his size

I don't think he would have made it permanently, but I also think it is true he never really got a fair chance...

Oh, by the way, is correct name is Riesen

Old
01-02-2004, 12:39 PM
GB

vCash: 370
Send a message via ICQ to GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
British League is like the ECHL. or thats wot i think GB Editor said
Yeah, it was, but I'd say it's lower this season. Anyway that was the Superleague, not the British league, which is a step below (think slightly above UHL).
Hand certainly had the skills to play in the NHL, I think he had Craig Janney like potential, with poorer skating. He has a great hockey mind. Had he been born in Canada and trained there he would have been an awesome player. Sadly he was homesick and left Victoria to return to Scotland. Two notes: First when Hand put up his huge numbers the British league was very poor. Each team had 3-5 good players, and not many of them were goalies.
Second when he put up 104 points in 2001-02 he was 35. He had a 100 points in 45 games in 2002-03 and has 27 in 16 so far this season.

Old
01-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
Oh, by the way, is correct name is Riesen
Like the Candy....mmmmmmmmmmmm Riesen.....

Old
01-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Like the Candy....mmmmmmmmmmmm Riesen.....

Didn't take long for someone to make the connection.

Old
01-02-2004, 01:41 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB Editor
Yeah, it was, but I'd say it's lower this season. Anyway that was the Superleague, not the British league, which is a step below (think slightly above UHL).
Hand certainly had the skills to play in the NHL, I think he had Craig Janney like potential, with poorer skating. He has a great hockey mind. Had he been born in Canada and trained there he would have been an awesome player. Sadly he was homesick and left Victoria to return to Scotland. Two notes: First when Hand put up his huge numbers the British league was very poor. Each team had 3-5 good players, and not many of them were goalies.
Second when he put up 104 points in 2001-02 he was 35. He had a 100 points in 45 games in 2002-03 and has 27 in 16 so far this season.
I noticed that he put up 8 points in 3 games with Victoria...

I wonder if he ever regrets that decision???

Old
01-02-2004, 01:59 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspin
If I am not mistaken are you not the same person that said that the Oilers should make a spot for Henrich at the beginning of this year before training camp on their top six and that he needs that ice-time? Henrich can't even earn the top 6 in Toronto and that is the whole deal there. Reisen did not earn his ice-time. Please don't forget that St.Louis gave up on him as well.
I also am of the opinion that Henrich has been mishandled, though I'm not sure it was this trainging camp where I said they should give Henrich a spot.

The year before (I think, maybe it was 2 years ago already now, 3 camps ago), where he had a great showing, I do think he should have been kept in EDM.

Old
01-02-2004, 02:55 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
I also am of the opinion that Henrich has been mishandled, though I'm not sure it was this trainging camp where I said they should give Henrich a spot.

The year before (I think, maybe it was 2 years ago already now, 3 camps ago), where he had a great showing, I do think he should have been kept in EDM.
His career high for points in his pro career is 38...

One 2 week stretch where he has a good camp isn't really a good indication of whether or not he deserves a shot.

Old
01-02-2004, 04:23 PM
speeds

Quote:
One 2 week stretch where he has a good camp isn't really a good indication of whether or not he deserves a shot.
you forgot the "in my opinion" part.

Old
01-03-2004, 01:23 AM
GB

vCash: 370
Send a message via ICQ to GB
Quote:
I noticed that he put up 8 points in 3 games with Victoria...

I wonder if he ever regrets that decision???
I'm sure he has some regrets about it. He is to be awarded an MBE (Member of the British Empire) in the New Year by the Queen, the first hockey player to be honoured like this.

Closed Thread