HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
03-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Zorro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
What are your thoughts on the 2011

- Mazda3
- Ford Focus
- Ford Fusion
- Hyundai Elantra

They consistently show up as the best cars in all the reviews I do. I'm potentially looking for something the size of a civic and which I would want to add features to, but isn't large. I've driven the Mazda 3 quite a bit and it drives great. It's by no means a luxury car (obviously), but does anyone have a preference for any of these and why? Civics for some reason receive an 8 while these receive 9s or 9.5s for what they are.
I would go with the Focus (hatch), we actually picked the Elantra GT over the Focus, but that was because my fiancee liked the look better and well she drives it everyday. If i would have made the decision i think the Ford would be in my driveway. The GT is a great car, but the enthusiast in me liked the Focus better.

The mazda 3 has always been a meh car for me, my bro has the hatch, he likes it and gets phemomenal fuel economy but it isn't anything to write home about.

out of those, favorite to least:

Focus 5-door
Elantra GT
Mazda 3 Sport
Fusion

Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:12 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
I love the new Focus, in fact all the Fords are going in a great direction. I think you'll really enjoy driving it. Their quality levels are very good as well.
Thanks for the review! In your opinion is the 2013 Focus significantly better than the 2011 to put it over the Mazda 3 or do you think for all years this is true (you said trending towards better essentially, so I'm willing to buy new if the '13 really is that much better).

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:48 AM
ClasslessGuy

Looking for a «minoune» something around 500-1000$. Good mecanic, with body problem, rust I don't care. I need the car for 10-15km 4-5 days a week for a year only.

I would like to stay with reliable cars ex: old Corolla, Tercel, Civic etc.

Any suggestion?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:02 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
If your looking for the best bet for an old used car. something that was NOT beat-up or anything. Look for an older Honda Accord. Kids went for the civic and well they are hard on cars.
You want an old mans car, and honda has made the most reliable engines for years.
you should get about 300-400 thousand km on a well maintained honda engine.
Agree, but I believe the 2003-2006 era had transmission issues

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:06 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Looking for a «minoune» something around 500-1000$. Good mecanic, with body problem, rust I don't care. I need the car for 10-15km 4-5 days a week for a year only.

I would like to stay with reliable cars ex: old Corolla, Tercel, Civic etc.

Any suggestion?
Kijiji ... just filter your search to Toyota and Honda with the budget you want

I bought a 2000 civic for 2600$ nearly 30 months ago and I haven't made a repair yet (changed the timing belt).

I can afford a nicer new car if I wanted and part of me is getting tired of being the guy with the beater but this Civic never gives me an issue!

I got it at 85Km and now has 126KM ... it's still a baby.

Even when I am fed up and get a new car I might just keep this one as a backup...It can go another 10 years!

Old
04-08-2013, 11:12 AM
e46330ivs*

Selling my baby if anyone is interested, 2005 M3 ZCP - Car comes completely modified with full Dinan Stage 3 Intake/Ecu, Eisenmann full race exhaust, brakes, suspension all upgraded, car is track ready, went to Tremblant once with it. Brand new Michelin PA2. Will sell as is for $35,000 or remove all parts and sell for $25,000- car as 66000km, paint is flawless interior is flawless. Very well maintained, avaible for viewing in Ottawa.untitled.png

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:24 AM
coolasprICE

Anyone drive or own a matrix?

Saw an ad for this one; http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/Ma...howcpo=ShowCPO

Would I get more for my money with a Mazda, Kia, Hyundai , etc..?

What are similar cars in the price range (10K to 15K) that would be more fun to drive, better specs, or likelihood to last long term?

Thanks

Old
05-11-2013, 10:37 AM
habsfantoronto
Ducks GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

What are similar cars in the price range (10K to 15K) that would be more fun to drive, better specs, or likelihood to last long term?

Thanks
I own a 2010 matrix that I bought last year. It runs wonderfully and has all the bells and whistles at a reasonable cost because it was used. The only thing that I wished it had was awd. I live in a small town north of Toronto and a few days this winter were challenging. Great car though. Tons of room inside. The front seats are positioned a little more like van or SUV seats so you're above the steering wheel and its comfortable to drive and get in and out of. Plus I think they look nice. It runs like new at 40,000km

habsfantoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:41 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfantoronto View Post
I own a 2010 matrix that I bought last year. It runs wonderfully and has all the bells and whistles at a reasonable cost because it was used. The only thing that I wished it had was awd. I live in a small town north of Toronto and a few days this winter were challenging. Great car though. Tons of room inside. The front seats are positioned a little more like van or SUV seats so you're above the steering wheel and its comfortable to drive and get in and out of. Plus I think they look nice. It runs like new at 40,000km
awesome.

I'm driving a beater civic right now and the thing is so low down the ground. Sounds like a Matrix will solve that issue.

I have to figure out how much more Ill pay for AWD...

Old
05-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Thanks
Can't beat Toyota quality.

I looked into the Matrix myself , the only downside for me was the relatively higher fuel consumption against other vehicles in same class. My brother in law owns a Matrix for several years and it's been a typical bulletproof Toyota quality wise.

If you are in the higher end of the price range you can look at Civic Se , or Subaru Impreza which I like stylistically.

I have never owned a Subaru but there is no doubt they are good cars ALMOST in the quality bracket of Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus.

Good car, if you buy it you will enjoy and it will serve you well.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:52 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Can't beat Toyota quality.

I looked into the Matrix myself , the only downside for me was the relatively higher fuel consumption against other vehicles in same class. My brother in law owns a Matrix for several years and it's been a typical bulletproof Toyota quality wise.

If you are in the higher end of the price range you can look at Civic Se , or Subaru Impreza which I like stylistically.

I have never owned a Subaru but there is no doubt they are good cars ALMOST in the quality bracket of Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus.

Good car, if you buy it you will enjoy and it will serve you well.
oh ya, do you guys know if it's a bumpy ride?

Would the suspension be comparable to a newer civic ? or closer to a larger sedan?

Old
05-11-2013, 10:57 AM
compile

Subaru's are fantastic machines but the maintence cost on them is high especially if you purchase a turbo one (like all turbo based cars).

Toyota is the way to go if you want reliability. If you worry about fuel consumption get a desiel.

Currently driving a 2010 TDI Jetta, get 800-1000km on a tank (55litres). Costs about on avg ~$60 to fill every two weeks or so. Have about 60k on my car and there are only small annoyances with it (push power window up to close and it re-opens).

I got a steal on a fully load Treadline (fully loaded model) for $400/month, 0 down @1.9% thanks to my cousin who is the sales manager for a VW near Yorkdale.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Kijiji ... just filter your search to Toyota and Honda with the budget you want

I bought a 2000 civic for 2600$ nearly 30 months ago and I haven't made a repair yet (changed the timing belt).

I can afford a nicer new car if I wanted and part of me is getting tired of being the guy with the beater but this Civic never gives me an issue!

I got it at 85Km and now has 126KM ... it's still a baby.

Even when I am fed up and get a new car I might just keep this one as a backup...It can go another 10 years!
Ignore what I wrote, you already changed the timing belt.

Last edited by Frozenice: 05-11-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:24 AM
habsfantoronto
Ducks GM

Quote:
oh ya, do you guys know if it's a bumpy ride?

Would the suspension be comparable to a newer civic ? or closer to a larger sedan?
It can be slightly bumpy but the town I live in has some **** roads. When I'm in Toronto I don't really notice it unless I'm driving over street car tracks or leaf fans.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:27 AM
habsfantoronto
Ducks GM

Fuel consumption is way better than my old sentra so I'm happy. Just don't get a 2.8l engine cause that's where the fuel consumption gets higher. The problem is that awd only comes with a 2.8l Camry engine. I'd rather have that mind you. That thing would probably go 600,000km.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:45 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Fuel consumption is way better than my old sentra so I'm happy. Just don't get a 2.8l engine cause that's where the fuel consumption gets higher. The problem is that awd only comes with a 2.8l Camry engine. I'd rather have that mind you. That thing would probably go 600,000km.
ha, subban will be retired by time time I get a chance to sniff at 600 KM

I'm going to test drive one this week. AWD is the way to go as I hear... but Ill pass if its going to cost me 5K more... 1-2k sure why not!

Old
05-11-2013, 11:50 AM
coolasprICE

I also hear fords are rebounding well.. but I just have this "american" label I can't get rid of.

Honestly I wish my Civic beater was giving me issues. Car never has an issue. Those cars go 300K and I`m at 128 (Bought off old couple). Just getting a bit rusted up, and I hate to admit it, I feel like a bit of a tool next to someone at the red light who is driving a nicer car (which is not hard, most cars are newer).

I guess I`m giving into the social pressures of materialism.... But I know that driving a nice car is a good feeling too, so maybe I should just consider it as an expense to spoil myself.

Old
05-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Mrb1p

You might want to look into SX4... Its the same thing as a matrix, but AWD and way cheaper.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:35 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You might want to look into SX4... Its the same thing as a matrix, but AWD and way cheaper.
Are you an owner?

Are Suzuki's reliable?

Thanks for the heads-up! Though I don't think I even driven in a Suzuki, so I need some convincing.

But prices do seem very affordable for used... Hmmm... I need some more convincing and I just might consider.

Old
05-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Are you an owner?

Are Suzuki's reliable?

Thanks for the heads-up! Though I don't think I even driven in a Suzuki, so I need some convincing.

But prices do seem very affordable for used... Hmmm... I need some more convincing and I just might consider.
Suzuki are bankrupt and are shutting their dealer network down in north America. They are junk as well.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Adamcrazy3

Hey guys,

I am currently looking to buy a sports car and I don't know what to choose between the m3, c63 amg, and audi s4. Which one do you think is better and why?

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
Hey guys,

I am currently looking to buy a sports car and I don't know what to choose between the m3, c63 amg, and audi s4. Which one do you think is better and why?
You looking for a new car or second hand? If second hand, how old would you be willing to go?

On a side issue, I wouldn't call any one of them a sports car. Performance car, okay, but in my mind at least, not a sports car. Am I alone on that and being fussy or do other people see it that way too? I don't mean to sound critical, just curious.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:28 PM
kalessin

Sports sedan, rather.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalessin View Post
Sports sedan, rather.
I know you're looking for a sedan but the new RS5 is an absolute monster.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
You looking for a new car or second hand? If second hand, how old would you be willing to go?

On a side issue, I wouldn't call any one of them a sports car. Performance car, okay, but in my mind at least, not a sports car. Am I alone on that and being fussy or do other people see it that way too? I don't mean to sound critical, just curious.
When was the last time you've driven an M3 or a C63?

Go with the Benz. It's the most ''natural'' of all of them... If you want something more practical go with the S4.

Quote:
Are you an owner?

Are Suzuki's reliale?

Suzuki is going bankrupt... They don't have any dealers anymore.
Now this may sound bad... But the mechanic is super simple and very reliable+Economic. A regular mechanic will be able to fix those cars easily. They're also at a bargain price right now.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote