HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2013 Draft Thread Part III - Squeezed Into The Top Ten

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 11:00 AM
SteveCangialosi123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I'd trade our first for Bobby Ryan in a heartbeat.
I would as well.

I guarantee that some team will make some odd pick and at least one of the perceived top tier forwards will be there and we'll take one.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:28 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Bobby Ryan is an interesting thought, but we'd have to give up more than just our pick. He's certainly worth more than Jordan Staal.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Bobby Ryan is an interesting thought, but we'd have to give up more than just our pick. He's certainly worth more than Jordan Staal.
Ryan would probably cost our #1, Henrique, and probably one of our top D prospects (either Merrill, Gelinas, Severson).

I wouldn't do it, unless Ryan agreed to a long-term extension. I'm not giving up that many assets and talent just to see him go sign with the Flyers in another couple yrs.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Kensu

vCash: 63
Anaheim has no reason to trade him.

Last edited by Kensu: 05-11-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old
05-11-2013, 07:16 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
#1 & Fayne & Boucher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensu View Post
Well they do have 2 fwds whose cap hit will be above $8 mil for the next decade. Will they be able to sign Ryan in 2 years? Maybe they try to move him now without the UFA spector dangling directly over his head.

Teemu playing another year would def put stress on their cap situation next year. Trading Ryan would offer some flexibility.

And if they lose in the first rnd, that always leaves a bad taste, especially after a big reg season.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
Not many 20 yr old D-men play everyday. And deboer gave JJ and even Ted's(well maybe not this year) plenty of oppurtunities.

Fayne did seemed to get squeezed though, and Volch got more playing time then most fans myself included, thought he should. but I don't see an overall trend that says he doesn't play young guys.
I think it's safe to say that Fayne was dealing with that wrist injury for much of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Domi was having a tough series in the OHL Final against Barrie, but came through with a goal and assist today to help extend it to a game 6.
3 assists tonight, including the primary on the OT winner to force a game 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensu View Post
Koivu and Selanne are UFAs and Kyle Palmieri is emerging as a legit top-6 winger (RFA though) who needs a new contract. Matt Beleskey's an RFA too, and Lydmam's a UFA so they need to re-sign him or find another defenseman. It's not crazy to think they might want to move Ryan now while his contract adds tons of value in order to open up their cap situation and get a good prospect back.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
3 assists tonight, including the primary on the OT winner to force a game 7.
Wow, London was up 4-0 and Barrie tied it in the final minute of regulation.

----------------------

I'd probably stay away from Ryan. Carolina at least had a reasonable assumption that Staal would sign an extension to play with his brother. I'd hate to give up a significant set of assets for Ryan only to see him test the waters in the summer of 2015. Especially knowing that his family has connections to the Flyers organization. I could see the Flyers giving up Couturier+ for him though.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:32 AM
hlaverty06

No, dont want to give what it takes for Ryan

Old
05-12-2013, 06:43 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Another player - outside of the obvious bunch (Carrier, Duclair etc.) - most likely listed in the 2nd round I wouldn`t be disappointed about if we picked him is Oliver Bjorkstrand. Winterhawks` Danish import. The guy has such a great feel around the net, has soft hands, good wheels and a great release. A bit undersized at 5ft11 170 lbs, but can make up for it with his hockey sense. Unfortunately, since many scouts have visited Portland`s games during the year (Jones and Petan), it`s probably unrealistic to expect him to fly under the radar. Especially because he was a PPG player during the regular season (and the POs; plays for a powerhouse so his +38 shouldn`t be a surprise to anyone).

I`ve seen a couple of their RS games and the last two series and he`s been nothing short of impressive.
Sorry for budding in - and congratz on the advancement But to continue on Bjork.

He is defo undersized - Some scouts actually have him listed as a 1st round pick! No kidding.. But his size will make him fall to at least 2nd.

Good thing is he already played pro among men i the Danish elite league.

Old
05-12-2013, 07:19 AM
MadDevil

I don't think the Ducks are going to move Ryan unless somebody blows them away with an offer. If anything I think they'd try to move Hiller's 4.5 million this summer. I don't think Selanne/Koivu are going to ask for too much, if they even come back at all. And Lydman will probably be replaced by Lindholm stepping in next year.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Zach View Post
Ryan would probably cost our #1, Henrique, and probably one of our top D prospects (either Merrill, Gelinas, Severson).

I wouldn't do it, unless Ryan agreed to a long-term extension. I'm not giving up that many assets and talent just to see him go sign with the Flyers in another couple yrs.
That's way too excessive. Even Henrique straight up for Ryan would be questionable nevermind a top 10 pick and Merrill. It's Bobby Ryan not Steven Stamkos. You do realize that Henrique had the same amount of goals this season as Ryan did right? Not to mention Henrique is younger and makes less. It wouldn't solve anything anyway because you would trade a top 6 forward to get a top 6 forward and there would still be a hole there. Honestly, I don't know if I would even do Henrique for Ryan straight up.

If they really wanted to make a deal I would think a top 10 pick plus Urbom or Gelinas should do it. If not, **** off because that's overvaluing your asset. If Columbus got Carter for #8 and Voracek, Ryan should be able to be had for less.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Caller View Post
That's way too excessive. Even Henrique straight up for Ryan would be questionable nevermind a top 10 pick and Merrill. It's Bobby Ryan not Steven Stamkos. You do realize that Henrique had the same amount of goals this season as Ryan did right? Not to mention Henrique is younger and makes less. It wouldn't solve anything anyway because you would trade a top 6 forward to get a top 6 forward and there would still be a hole there. Honestly, I don't know if I would even do Henrique for Ryan straight up.

If they really wanted to make a deal I would think a top 10 pick plus Urbom or Gelinas should do it. If not, **** off because that's overvaluing your asset. If Columbus got Carter for #8 and Voracek, Ryan should be able to be had for less.
I'm not saying we should do the trade, but that's absolutely what it would take to make Anaheim move him. End of story. You can't expect to give them a #1 pick and a weak prospect like Urbom and expect them to make the deal.

Ducks aren't trading Ryan unless there is a serious overpay coming. Henrique and the #1 would probably be enough, but that's the only deal the Ducks would make, getting a top prospect and a top forward to replace Ryan. The Carter trade is a pretty fair template to follow. Voracek was/is a Top 6 forward and he was a pretty darn high draftee himself.

This is the conundrum we are in. We don't have many avenues or flexibility in which to add to our forward group. It's either FA which is weak and where we have our own UFAs or the trade market which is always risky itself. Which is why I fret Lou is going to panic and give a bad contract to Clarkson.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:06 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Max Domi and Bo Horvat are having real solid playoffs ATM.

I wouldn't be pissed if we went with Domi over Shinkaruk.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Hockey Sports Fan

I was starting to come around on Domi, but this seals the deal for me in regards to Shinkaruk:

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2013/5/1...ospect-profile

I really like the notes about his work ethic and how he put a lot of effort into playing better defense. Combined with all the notes about his powerful skating and his willingness to grind, he's starting to sound like Parise with better hands and a better shot.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:53 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
I was starting to come around on Domi, but this seals the deal for me in regards to Shinkaruk:

I really like the notes about his work ethic and how he put a lot of effort into playing better defense. Combined with all the notes about his powerful skating and his willingness to grind, he's starting to sound like Parise with better hands and a better shot.
If it comes down to shinkaruk and Domi I would have a hard time deciding really. There's a lot to like about both players and either would immediately become our best offensive prospect...

Old
05-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Hockey Sports Fan

Also this thing: http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-cont...March-2013.pdf

I'm trying to find these reports on the other players. Shinkaruk sounds like he has a real good work ethic off the ice, but I don't wanna use that to make any judgments when I haven't had the chance to read anything like that from anyone else.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:56 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Two players I'd take a flyer on with our 2nd to last pick and our last pick are Alex Forsberg and Anton Slepyshev.

I know Forsberg is a bit of a head case but he was regarded as a legit top #15 pick in this years draft but had character issues that saw him nose dive big time in about every single rankings and Slepyshev for the fact that we still don't know if he has any intentions on coming over to N/A.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Two players I'd take a flyer on with our 2nd to last pick and our last pick are Alex Forsberg and Anton Slepyshev.

I know Forsberg is a bit of a head case but he was regarded as a legit top #15 pick in this years draft but had character issues that saw him nose dive big time in about every single rankings and Slepyshev for the fact that we still don't know if he has any intentions on coming over to N/A.
What character issues?

Old
05-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
What character issues?
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...024744631.html

Asked for a trade from his team, when he didnt get it he decided to not play for them and went to a Junior Hockey League

Old
05-13-2013, 03:10 PM
CerebralGenesis

lol what an article for the kid.

Not winning, get tired of playing, and leave. Enter a junior league, light it up, have fun, candy.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:17 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Would fit perfectly on a line with Matteau and Merrill

Old
05-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:

I like what I read there. The more I see on Shinkaruk, the higher he rises in my estimation. If he's available I can see us taking him.

Old
05-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Max Domi ties the game for London with 24 seconds left and Horvat scores with .1 left to win the title for London.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Max Domi ties the game for London with 24 seconds left and Horvat scores with .1 left to win the title for London.
If we were picking lower, I would have loved Horvat. When I saw London/Plymouth back in November, he played a less flashy game than Domi but generated more scoring opportunities (obviously just one game).

In my 'throw some spaghetti against a wall' mock draft, I have Winnipeg taking Horvat at #13.

Old
05-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

So the consensus is Skinkraruk over Domi?

Closed Thread