HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 12:16 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 4)

Continue here.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
C.Price: "I need to get my play to another level."
At least he's aware.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
At least he's aware.
Of course he's aware. He's the franchise goaltender that this team needs, and it's time to start playing like one at a consistent level. As long as he's aware of that, then I have hope for him. Now he needs time to rehab his injury and then work on his game during the off-season.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
At least he's aware.
Scott Gomez has been aware for some time. Didn't change a thing.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:09 PM
SeriousHabs

Least of our problems.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

vCash: 133
"I honestly believe I can win a Stanley Cup. I think I have the ability and the mentality to do that." - Carey Price

He can and will win a Cup.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:37 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Well, we will see. The sign that he has turned the corner? If he stops his foolish wrangling bit on the ranch and trains for hockey only.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:41 PM
E = CH²

I want to see Price move a bit more in his net. By that I mean come out to cut angles, and not play so deep. I also want him to get back on his feet quickly and not spend ridiculous amounts of time on his knees for no reason. Sometimes he'd go down and not get back up for a long time. I'm not an expert but I don't see other goalies do that. It looks like he's just being lazy and/or lost. I want him to read the play better and react quickly. He needs to get back to his 2010-11 level. THAT was worth all that has been invested in him (top 5 pick, top contract, seasons of growing pains, etc). The last 2 years ? No. We could get that from any other goalie.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:43 PM
sharks9

@JohnLuTSNMtl:#Habs Price says he was healthy for most of the season until near the end when old (unspecified) injuries started nagging him...

Hopefully it was just injuries that were holding him back.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:44 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I want to see Price move a bit more in his net. By that I mean come out to cut angles, and not play so deep. I also want him to get back on his feet quickly and not spend ridiculous amounts of time on his knees for no reason. Sometimes he'd go down and not get back up for a long time. I'm not an expert but I don't see other goalies do that. It looks like he's just being lazy and/or lost. I want him to read the play better and react quickly. He needs to get back to his 2010-11 level. THAT was worth all that has been invested in him (top 5 pick, top contract, seasons of growing pains, etc). The last 2 years ? No. We could get that from any other goalie.
It's the style they have him playing when the puck is below the face-off circle. I've been yelling at him all season about it. It's an incredibly flawed technique and it's cost him a lot of goals this year. He's not able to get up to his feet to react to a shot and when he's required to move laterally, instead of his skates being planted, he has to get them planted and move, meaning he is a split second slow on every play. Most goalies get up out of it as soon as the play comes near the bottom of the face-off circle, Price is playing in it too long and he has his legs in an ineffective position.

Those mechanics, that style, needs and overhaul in the off season. I can't see them not doing it. Virtually ineffective.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Scott Gomez wasn't 25 when things needed to change.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:55 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It's the style they have him playing when the puck is below the face-off circle. I've been yelling at him all season about it. It's an incredibly flawed technique and it's cost him a lot of goals this year. He's not able to get up to his feet to react to a shot and when he's required to move laterally, instead of his skates being planted, he has to get them planted and move, meaning he is a split second slow on every play. Most goalies get up out of it as soon as the play comes near the bottom of the face-off circle, Price is playing in it too long and he has his legs in an ineffective position.

Those mechanics, that style, needs and overhaul in the off season. I can't see them not doing it. Virtually ineffective.
Didn't Groulx come on board for the 2010-11 season ?

Also, here's what Whitesnake said in another thread. WS, I hope you don't mind, just want to spark the debate here. I have no idea of the truth of it, and frankly I don't care. I just hope they all fix it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Habs have accomdated him way too much. I'm not the first one who says this, and I don't have a lot of insides, and actually the "insides" that I have, while it's coming from a trusted source, I can't verify it. But Pierre Groulx exists and is loved by Price 'cause he doesn't challenge him much. The exacty word of my "source" is that Groulx is actually Price "puppet". Surely way too harsh.....and not exactly how it really is.....but that's the word out there.

As a goalie coach, you don't totally change the way your goalie plays. You drafted him 'cause you'd like what you see, you like the base that way there and want to improve it. But you don't change it. But there's a difference between changing it and just not put some pressure to correct the evident mistakes. It is PURELY impossible that Price's flaws, that EVERYBODY in the goalie circle knows, cannot be worked on. So he either ignores it....is dumb or just doesn't have the talent needed to work on it....People can choose what they want. I obviously have no idea.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael Sonnen View Post
"I honestly believe I can win a Stanley Cup. I think I have the ability and the mentality to do that." - Carey Price

He can and will win a Cup.
Empty words do not move me. They won't move the management team either once they start feeling the heat for Price's lack of results.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:58 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Empty words do not move me. They won't move the management team either once they start feeling the heat for Price's lack of results.
Thankfully our management doesn't make wild knee-jerk reactions like most of our fanbase.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
@JohnLuTSNMtl:#Habs Price says he was healthy for most of the season until near the end when old (unspecified) injuries started nagging him...

Well, it would make a lot of sense. I have no idea why he just fell off a cliff with the Toronto game. He was inconsistent for the rest of the season.

I don't see how he just falls off a cliff without some kind of reason for it.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
If Price doesn't play well, he'll be moved its as simple as that.

But it's absolutely dumb to write him off for a couple of weeks of bad play. I'm not worried about him at all.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that, imo.

$6.5 million over the next 5 years will be impossible to move if Price's play continues to spiral. We better pray he gets it together fast.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

But it's absolutely dumb to write him off for a couple of weeks of bad play. I'm not worried about him at all.
He's too big of an investment to be moved at the moment, but his disappointing play has been around a lot longer then a couple of weeks LG.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Apparently he was healthy for most of the year until a few weeks before the end of the year where recurring injuries kept nagging him. Hopefully that's the truth.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:20 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Apparently he was healthy for most of the year until a few weeks before the end of the year where recurring injuries kept nagging him. Hopefully that's the truth.
He should have let Budaj play then. We lost all the games anyway and we didn't need to win.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:59 PM
dryden1971
Rookie User

my 2 cents

I am new to the group, so my apologies if I repeat previously posted comments.
Price has definitely NOT convinced me he is capable of leading a team to a Stanley Cup. His style is way too reliant on his natural ability. He is nowhere near as aggressive as he needs to be when the moment calls for it, and most importantly, he gives up too many stoppable goals. He can make an amazing save in one instance, then a little dinky shot goes right through him.
I am also totally opposed to his new mask which depicts the Canadiens emblem backwards !!!!! What is he thinking ??? I realize this is only superstition, but as a long-time fan, I am offended. Management should not allow anything can bring in bad karma or luck. The team has struggled enough. I liken that backwards emblem to hanging a horseshoe with the opening facing downward.
I realize that Montreal is a tough place to play goal, but he needs to step up if he wants to actually earn that huge salary.

Old
05-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
...Now this is getting ridiculous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The thing is that in the 10-11 season he did not play like that... He's following coaches order... I really don't get why they make him play like that.

Old
05-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Gally11

I'm not worried about Price, a lot of the elite (or better) goalies in league had relatively bad years because of the weird season.. A lot of these goalies use practice to fix their mistakes and they didn't get any this year... Quick had .902 SV % and 2.45 GAA he's obviously better than that. Rinne 2.43 0.91, Brodeur .901, Luongo .907 2.43, Ward .908 2.84, Miller 2.81 .915

Old
05-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

vCash: 133
Quote:

It would make a lot of sense considering the way his mobility was affected near the end. You don't go from having two months of below 2 for a GAA and then it goes up past 3 without injuries taking a toll on you. Not with a goaltender like Price.

Quote:
Thankfully our management doesn't make wild knee-jerk reactions like most of our fanbase.
If they did, Price would have been traded by the deadline and Budaj would have been the starter. Eller would have been traded after a few games to start the season and Plekanec would be shopped at the draft.

05-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

The best way to have a team full of losers is by listening to the fans. Carey Price is here to say, suck it up!

Closed Thread