HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

3rd overall to Ottawa

Old
05-11-2013, 12:13 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
Cowan gets the ball rolling. But its going to take a lot more than cowan....

And no thanks to conacher. No giverbackers
You can have CowAn. CowEn is worth more anyway.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:15 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Dude 120 View Post
I think Tampa is gonna want a combination of either Lehner , Cowen, Karlsson,. Smaller peices could include Puempel, Nosen and Ceci.
Aside from how I stated no Karlsson specifically in the OP, you really think we are trading arguably the best, most exciting player in the league for a PROSPECT? Let alone ADD to Karlsson?

Old
05-11-2013, 12:17 PM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Cowen + Zibanejad

oconnor9sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:14 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
Cowen + Zibanejad
Oh come on... I love Drouin as a prospect, but that is overpayment. We don't even know 100% that Drouin is going to be there at 3, but even if he is, that is a huge overpayment. Even if Drouin turns into an all-star winger, Cowen is a top pairing Dman already (certainly a top 3/4 with top pairing upside very soon), and Zibanejad is already a productive NHL player, a top 6er already with top line potential. That is ridiculous overpayment. Also, read the OP, the goal is to round out the top 6, not take away from it.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:33 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
You sir are correct....Tampa absolutely says Karlsson and Ottawa absolutely says no....
There ya go.

I don't see this one as being possible. TB would need a strong D upgrade to move off that pick. Cowen's nice but not #3 nice.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:39 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
Cowen + Zibanejad
So 2 current NHL players who were picked at #6 and at #9 for a #3 pick thats unproven?

Cowen + 17th overall is the most I would do.

There is no trade here, the most we could move up to somewhere between 8-11 if Monohan is still around there, maybe a trade with Philly.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:28 PM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

vCash: 50
Some of the suggestions here are insane. We are talking a 3rd overall, which is good but not the absolute best. Packing up a #17 and a reasonable piece is fine, but why would anyone seriously expect a ZBad or a Cowen in that type of package? If Drouin pans out and become a really good player in the future Ottawa would get a player who is roughly equal to ZBad right now. It would be crazy to assume all of the risk for little or no upgrade. Cowen is even crazier, because top 2-3 D on most teams who are young and on reasonable contracts do not fall out of trees. If Cowen went on the market this summer, which he will not, we would get a very substantial package for him that mixes in unproven top end prospects plus plus.

Prospects are just that: prospects. You don't sacrifice the top end prospects you've been developing for a few years to try to get a prospect who may or may not turn out. If you want an alternative view of how much high number draft picks are really worth ask the Edmonton Oilers, and they'll tell you all about how well they've done loading up on potential these past few years.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Jerzey Devil

Tampa doesn't want to trade the pick. If you want to get them to trade the pick you have make them want to trade it. Don't get upset that they are asking for an overpayment. They'll just keep the pick as planned.

Jerzey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Sens Rule

I loved the Yashin (who was #2 overall) for #2 overall (that everyone knew would be Spezza) and Chara and journeyman.

How about we send you Kyle Turris (who was #3 overall) for #3 overall and Hedman. Hedman can play the HUGE Defenceman that Chara was. About the same age and height as Chara at the time of the trade. You don't even ned to send us a journeyman forward!

But seriously, Ottawa fans... because you started this thread. We are not going to get a top 4 pick. We don't want to trade Silfverberg, Cowen, Zibanejad or Methot. That is what any team is going to ask for and none of those guys are getting traded. Nor do we want to trade Spezza. Michalek has little value compared to a top 3 or 4 pick in this years draft with his injury problems and only being signed for 1 more year. We also do not really want to just trade 2 or 3 of our top prospects in Noesen, Puempel, Pageau, Stone, Hoffman... before we even get to see how good they are in the NHL. If we trade them it will be for help now... not in a year or two or more.

Also.... in my opinion.... I would not trade Cowen for ANYONE in the 2009 draft except Tavares. Hedman and Ekman-Larsson are very good... but they aren't NASTY. Duchesne is great, but I'd rather have a monster defenceman that will be the next Chara type of huge physical D-Man that can also contribute offensively. Feel free to disagree on that, however I seriously doubt Bryan Murray is at all interested in trading Cowen for anyone. I would not trade Cowen straight up for Jones or the 1st pick overall. Cowen next year is going to be so much better than Jones is going to be. Long term it is still a crapshoot as to who will be better. The Sens are contenders now though. 22 year old with valuable NHL experience trumps amazing 18 year old defenceman with all the tools but that needs the experience. Is Cowen that "valuable"? I don't know or care... you don't trade a guy like him. You just don't. Unless you are Mike Milbury.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post

Also.... in my opinion.... I would not trade Cowen for ANYONE in the 2009 draft except Tavares. Hedman and Ekman-Larsson are very good... but they aren't NASTY. Duchesne is great, but I'd rather have a monster defenceman that will be the next Chara type of huge physical D-Man that can also contribute offensively. Feel free to disagree on that, however I seriously doubt Bryan Murray is at all interested in trading Cowen for anyone. I would not trade Cowen straight up for Jones or the 1st pick overall. Cowen next year is going to be so much better than Jones is going to be. Long term it is still a crapshoot as to who will be better. The Sens are contenders now though. 22 year old with valuable NHL experience trumps amazing 18 year old defenceman with all the tools but that needs the experience. Is Cowen that "valuable"? I don't know or care... you don't trade a guy like him. You just don't. Unless you are Mike Milbury.

Oh, I'd trade Cowen for Duchene in a split second.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Rschmitz

I would never expect the third overall to land karlsson. Ceci+cowan+picks if we are looking to fill organzational need...but I dont see us dealing the #3 unless we got a top nhl ready defenseman.

Rschmitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

This thread seems like we're trying to make a trade for the sake of making a trade...

I understand Ottawa needs top line talent. You're not going to get that from the draft unless it's 1st overall and the #1 ranking is a special kind of player (or in Ottawa's case - forward).

Tampa shouldn't be giving up picks either. They're getting younger, building for the future and the draft is the way to go.

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Follower of Yzlam
OH YEEEEAH

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Devil View Post
Tampa doesn't want to trade the pick. If you want to get them to trade the pick you have make them want to trade it. Don't get upset that they are asking for an overpayment. They'll just keep the pick as planned.
This poster gets it. If you want to overpay, fine, but if you're not willing to, don't bother asking.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Rschmitz

Cowen and Zibanejad isn't even an overpayment to be honest.

Rschmitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Yzlamic Preacher
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
Some of the suggestions here are insane. We are talking a 3rd overall, which is good but not the absolute best. Packing up a #17 and a reasonable piece is fine, but why would anyone seriously expect a ZBad or a Cowen in that type of package? If Drouin pans out and become a really good player in the future Ottawa would get a player who is roughly equal to ZBad right now. It would be crazy to assume all of the risk for little or no upgrade. Cowen is even crazier, because top 2-3 D on most teams who are young and on reasonable contracts do not fall out of trees. If Cowen went on the market this summer, which he will not, we would get a very substantial package for him that mixes in unproven top end prospects plus plus.

Prospects are just that: prospects. You don't sacrifice the top end prospects you've been developing for a few years to try to get a prospect who may or may not turn out. If you want an alternative view of how much high number draft picks are really worth ask the Edmonton Oilers, and they'll tell you all about how well they've done loading up on potential these past few years.
Did a Tampa fan create this thread? Did a Tampa fan say we wanted to trade the pick? Nope. So let's say hypothetically that another team wants the pick, well overpayment is needed due to the fact we don't want to move the pick otherwise. Why is that hard?

Yzlamic Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 05:07 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
Cowen and Zibanejad isn't even an overpayment to be honest.
Oh hells yeah it is. How many games have you watched of them? (more so Z because Cowen was injured most of the year this year). Long term, who knows, but right now, Cowen + Zbad is a BIG overpayment for a prospect yet to make the NHL.

Old
05-11-2013, 06:25 PM
doubledown99

The likely asking price would be: Cowen and 1st rd pick

Sens fans won't like it but why would Tampa risk giving up a potential franchise player for less?

Would Ott give up their 1st for Tampas 2nd and Brewer for example?

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:04 PM
StayThirstyMyFriend

Is anyone else fed up with always seeing the same teams with incompetent management get the top prospects. It seems like the past few seasons its the same teams that are waiting for handouts from the league at the draft while the well run teams always have to find diamonds in the rough.

StayThirstyMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:08 PM
WhiteLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayThirstyMyFriend View Post
Is anyone else fed up with always seeing the same teams with incompetent management get the top prospects. It seems like the past few seasons its the same teams that are waiting for handouts from the league at the draft while the well run teams always have to find diamonds in the rough.
God forbid people actually having to work hard for success. Life is so unfair

WhiteLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:24 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
Seconded.

*cough* Edmonton Oil Tankers *cough*

Old
05-11-2013, 07:28 PM
StayThirstyMyFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
God forbid people actually having to work hard for success. Life is so unfair
So it doesn't bother you to always see the same poorly run teams get the early pick potential franchise players ever draft?

StayThirstyMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:30 PM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Did a Tampa fan create this thread? Did a Tampa fan say we wanted to trade the pick? Nope. So let's say hypothetically that another team wants the pick, well overpayment is needed due to the fact we don't want to move the pick otherwise. Why is that hard?
Because a Sens fan created the thread, not all Sens fan or this Sens fan. Why is it so hard to understand that one Sens fan does not speak for all Sens fans? I objected to the proposals in the same way that I would object if a TB fan, or a Montreal fan, or an LA Lakers fan created the thread. The Sens have so many good prospects coming through pipeline that it is tough to figure out where they will be slotted in a year or two. The thought of taking a top tier youngster on a fantastic contract, who has already made the break into the big leagues, for an unproven youngster is utter nonsense. If TB fans have other beefs with the deal than so be it, but it is DOA on our end regardless.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:36 PM
WhiteLight

Quote:
So it doesn't bother you to always see the same poorly run teams get the early pick potential franchise players ever draft?
Yes but I wouldn't have it any other way.

If it was your way, there would be much less parity: the best teams would be even better and the worst teams even worse.

WhiteLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Shouldn't the fans of the poorly run teams get something to cheer for? Or should we just say **** em?

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
Umm.......not sure if serious.......
Cowen was supposed to be a top 3 pick but sustained some injuries.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote