HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It doesn't matter how hard you try.. Oilers lose 4-1. (Avatar Help)

Old
05-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Lawgirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
What are your fees?
For an avatar bet, pro bono . I quite enjoy the crazy stuff you guys come up with.

Lawgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:56 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I don't know. Both nhl.com and the Oilers' website list Eberle's SH% at 12.0%.

Sure, if you go to a 4th decimal point, you get a number that's greater than 12%, but nobody, anywhere, uses that many decimal places.

Just to give a little context to what you guys are arguing about, a guy would have to take FIVE THOUSAND shots before .02% would equate to a goal. Jaromir Jagr and Teemu Selanne (the league's two longest serving active players) have both been goal scorers in the NHL since the early 90's and neither of them have taken 5,000 shots in their CAREERS.

I don't have a horse in this race, and I don't really care who wins, but if I were judge and jury on this, I'd be ruling in favour of the guy who said Eberle didn't surpass 12% this year.

05-11-2013, 04:01 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

Sure, if you go to a 4th decimal point, you get a number that's greater than 12%, but nobody, anywhere, uses that many decimal places.

Just to give a little context to what you guys are arguing about, a guy would have to take FIVE THOUSAND shots before .02% would equate to a goal. Jaromir Jagr and Teemu Selanne (the league's two longest serving active players) have both been goal scorers in the NHL since the early 90's and neither of them have taken 5,000 shots in their CAREERS.

I don't have a horse in this race, and I don't really care who wins, but if I were judge and jury on this, I'd be ruling in favour of the guy who said Eberle didn't surpass 12% this year.
Even though he did surpass 12%?

If he had 11.99 would BBO be right in saying he reached 12%?

I gotta say, this wont be forgotten. He will be HOUNDED for YEARS about it.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:05 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:

How can you say that when he went past the 12%. 12% is equal to 12.0000000 repeating, it doesn't matter how you personally feel about it you have to be objective as possible with a ruling like this. And because jaded dog did not say to the whole number he loses the bet, it's that simple.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:17 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Even though he did surpass 12%?

If he had 11.99 would BBO be right in saying he reached 12%?

I gotta say, this wont be forgotten. He will be HOUNDED for YEARS about it.

If he had 11.99, my point would be the same.

Mathematically, 11.99 < 12.00 < 12.03, but they're all 12.0% for the purpose of the bet, which is NHL shooting percentage. And NHL shooting percentage is never listed anywhere in thousandths.

Don't worry, I didn't expect my comment to end the discussion. I fully expect this to go on for days (at least).

Last edited by misfit: 05-12-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: oops, wrong arrow
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:18 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
How can you say that when he went past the 12%. 12% is equal to 12.0000000 repeating, it doesn't matter how you personally feel about it you have to be objective as possible with a ruling like this. And because jaded dog did not say to the whole number he loses the bet, it's that simple.
Are you suggesting I have a bias here?

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Bergeron47

This can probably oy be settled with a vote. The most appropriate forum to poll this would be 'By the Numbers'

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:33 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Are you suggesting I have a bias here?
I'm saying your not treating 12% as 12.00000 repeating which it should be unless the bet was made to the closest whole number which it wasn't. I have nothing to gain from this bet and don't like the way BBo talked about the school system, but with this bet jaddeddog should not have assumed 12% meant to the whole number and he should have documented it as such. He didn't so you cant put personal bias towards it in that you think it should be to the whole number, you have to go by what was written down. Which in this case was very clearly marked as Eberle would not have a shooting % higher then 12% which is 12.000000 repeating. He does have a shooting percentage over 12.00000 repeating therefore jaddeddog has to honour the bet.

Old
05-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgirl View Post
For an avatar bet, pro bono . I quite enjoy the crazy stuff you guys come up with.
LOL! Sounds good!

Quote:

It was stated as 12% not 0.12% so the extra decimal places are 2 not 4 in this context. How often do you see shooting %'s as 0.12? If you do you must be running in different circles than I do.

12.03 > 12.029 > 12.028 etc. In Hawaii our excise tax is 4.166% not sure how GST is up there but here it is 0.04166 which is one more decimal place than is being referenced here. Also why use 0.0002 when the difference is 0.0003? 3250 shots at 0.0003 would equal a little over a goal. Jagr has 4,881 career regular season shots and Selanne has 4,429. Not sure why you would mention 0.0002 when trying to make a point here if you indeed have no horse in this race? Why not do the real math instead of rounding down to try and prove a faulty point?

As to the bottom bolded, I'm gad that you're not a judge because you would be wrong and would likely be sued and cost taxpayers money.

Quote:

Mathematically, 11.99 < 12.00 > 12.03, but they're all 12.0% for the purpose of the bet, which is NHL shooting percentage. And NHL shooting percentage is never listed anywhere in thousandths.

Don't worry, I didn't expect my comment to end the discussion. I fully expect this to go on for days (at least).
12.00 > 12.03? Where can I learn this new form of math?

The bet was over 12% there were no stipulations saying how much over 12%, no matter how much you try to portray it differently, try to change the outcome due to a technicality, etc. 0.0003 > 0.0000 unless you can prove otherwise. I guess the biggest difference here is that had it been 11.9999999999 I would've conceded defeat and taken my avatar with a small slice of humble pie.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 05-11-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
I'm saying your not treating 12% as 12.00000 repeating which it should be unless the bet was made to the closest whole number which it wasn't. I have nothing to gain from this bet and don't like the way BBo talked about the school system, but with this bet jaddeddog should not have assumed 12% meant to the whole number and he should have documented it as such. He didn't so you cant put personal bias towards it in that you think it should be to the whole number, you have to go by what was written down. Which in this case was very clearly marked as Eberle would not have a shooting % higher then 12% which is 12.000000 repeating. He does have a shooting percentage over 12.00000 repeating therefore jaddeddog has to honour the bet.
Honestly I have been out of school for many years and I have heard for MANY years that the Canadian school system >>> the American one and it probably is TBH, but I was honestly wondering if they are teaching something that I was not exposed to in my time in grade school. I have no beefs with the Canadian school system because I have never been a part of it, I just found it odd that many of the people that argued that 49 = 50 and 12.00 = 12.03 were schooled in a different school system than I was. It was not meant as a slight to Canadians or the Canadian school system at all and I am sorry if it came across that way.

Old
05-11-2013, 05:00 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Honestly I have been out of school for many years and I have heard for MANY years that the Canadian school system >>> the American one and it probably is TBH, but I was honestly wondering if they are teaching something that I was not exposed to in my time in grade school. I have no beefs with the Canadian school system because I have never been a part of it, I just found it odd that many of the people that argued that 49 = 50 and 12.00 = 12.03 were schooled in a different school system than I was. It was not meant as a slight to Canadians or the Canadian school system at all and I am sorry if it came across that way.
Meh it's all good. I can see why some would argue For Gagner because he had one season where he projected to have 50 points if he had played in all 82 games, and then there was this year where he almost certainly would have passed the 50 point mark. But if your saying Gagner has never had a 50 point season I don't think that's arguable. You could say he projected to have two 50 points seasons which would also be correct.

Old
05-11-2013, 05:01 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Man up. A bet is a bet, besides, this is the fun part of the board. How bad can the avatar be?
This! It's a freaking avatar. It's not like its for a million dollars. 12.03>12.00. BBO won

05-11-2013, 05:09 PM
CupofOil

12.03%>12.00%, is this actually being debated? The bet was 12% flat and Eberle shot over 12% with 12.03%.
JD needs to man up and pay off his debt to Bryan.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 05:26 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

Mathematically, 11.99 < 12.00 > 12.03, but they're all 12.0% for the purpose of the bet, which is NHL shooting percentage. And NHL shooting percentage is never listed anywhere in thousandths.

The bet was for over 12%. 12% even would be a win for jadeddog. Are you suggesting he won the bet?

Old
05-11-2013, 05:32 PM
dnicks17

12 is the new 50.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Meh it's all good. I can see why some would argue For Gagner because he had one season where he projected to have 50 points if he had played in all 82 games, and then there was this year where he almost certainly would have passed the 50 point mark. But if your saying Gagner has never had a 50 point season I don't think that's arguable. You could say he projected to have two 50 points seasons which would also be correct.
I can get down with on pace for even though a lot of times paces don't stay the same. But this season had Gagner not been injured I have a hard time believing that he couldn't have reached 50.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:53 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:

If the government tax us 5.03% GST instead of 5% every time you and I buy something, would you be okay with it?

I will be a bit unhappy.

Because they are charging us more than 5%, which is an increase of an extra .03% we have to pay.

If Eberle got 11.97%, i doubt BBO can argue about rounding up to 12%.

The bet is all for fun It is what it is. 12.03 is bigger than 12.

I don't expect jadeddog to be a bad enough sport to not honor something that is so clear cut.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Draekke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
This can probably oy be settled with a vote. The most appropriate forum to poll this would be 'By the Numbers'
I second the poll idea! Either side must submit to the group's decision. Probably the most fair way to finalize it.

12.03>12.00 every day of the week. With BBO on this one.

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

A fitting avatar would be a cartoon drawing of Eberle with the phrase "What, me welch?"

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:38 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
A fitting avatar would be a cartoon drawing of Eberle with the phrase "What, me welch?"

Old
05-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
That's a rather dashing avatar too.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:02 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
This! It's a freaking avatar. It's not like its for a million dollars. 12.03>12.00. BBO won
Exactly. Man I can't believe this is even a discussion.
What's the big deal about changing an avatar for a month on a site that promises to be pretty dead for the next month anyway.
I just don't get it ....

And for the record BBO ... can we call Gagner a fifty point player now that he put up thirty eight in forty eight games?

Quote:
Wow .... haven't seen that for awhile. Where is GM these days anyway? I miss his commentary.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
I second the poll idea! Either side must submit to the group's decision. Probably the most fair way to finalize it.

12.03>12.00 every day of the week. With BBO on this one.
I'll wait until JD makes a call one way or another, if he wants it put to a poll, that's fine by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Exactly. Man I can't believe this is even a discussion.
What's the big deal about changing an avatar for a month on a site that promises to be pretty dead for the next month anyway.
I just don't get it ....

And for the record BBO ... can we call Gagner a fifty point player now that he put up thirty eight in forty eight games?

Wow .... haven't seen that for awhile. Where is GM these days anyway? I miss his commentary.
IMO a 50 point player is someone that actually hits 50 points. That said IMO this year he would've hit it rather easily even if he really took a step back in the last 34 games of the year. All that being said I still won't call him a 50 point scorer until he gets there. I'd say that he is now a center capable of 50-60 points in the NHL under the right circumstances though, so from me that it a compliment

Old
05-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Hynh

12 is not 12.00.

I'd make both get new avatars though.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:53 PM
SephF
See you next time