HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stastny

Old
05-11-2013, 02:38 PM
jmwc95

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18007 View Post
Yeah, a goalie.
Is a goalie going to significantly improve our 1.99 GAA and help us score more than 10 goals in 6 games?

Could we improve our goaltending? Sure. Was it our biggest weakness? No. If Chris Osgood, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Anti Niemi can win Stanley Cups and Michael Leighton and Ray Emery can get their teams to the Finals, the Blues current roster of goaltenders is good enough, especially with our defense.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:41 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
If Rattie isn't ready, how does he help us score goals next season? We're not one or two pieces away from contending but we also can't give up Stastny for someone who might help us in a year or two.
He's not ready to step in and carry us on a Cup run next year. He's ready to come in and put up 15 goals and 30+ points as a rookie. However, I expect more than that out of Schwartz next year, and we'll need that to go on a Cup run next season. I doubt you'll be ready for a Cup run next season. He can be ready to help you get into a playoff spot.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Balls on the table!

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
Is a goalie going to significantly improve our 1.99 GAA and help us score more than 10 goals in 6 games?

Could we improve our goaltending? Sure. Was it our biggest weakness? No. If Chris Osgood, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Anti Niemi can win Stanley Cups and Michael Leighton and Ray Emery can get their teams to the Finals, the Blues current roster of goaltenders is good enough, especially with our defense.
Yeah, that is true.

Sorry, didn't mean to troll your thread, but I think if Elliott doesn't let in the Voynov or Penner goals you guys at least get a game 7 back in St. Louis and might have won the series. But then again - more offense would have been nice too, so I see where you are coming from.

18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:58 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18007 View Post
Yeah, that is true.

Sorry, didn't mean to troll your thread, but I think if Elliott doesn't let in the Voynov or Penner goals you guys at least get a game 7 back in St. Louis and might have won the series. But then again - more offense would have been nice too, so I see where you are coming from.
I give Elliott a pass on the Penner goal. That puck was a rocket, deflected off Polak's stick, changed directions (it was headed for his midsection and then it's trajectory was headed over the net), then knuckled and dove over his shoulder, off the crossbar, and into the net. If you could see a view from behind the shot, you would see that it was a very difficult deflection to be able to handle.

The Voynov goal, yes, you have to keep your pads and stick on the ice even if he is trying to roof it because he could get slashed and/or fan and the puck slides right between your legs. That is why you don't cheat and anticipate the high shot. But if the Blues put away their chances, these discussions would be moot. The only reason we are having them is because the Blues lose 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2.

Old
05-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
YOu guys were playing the defending Stanley cup champions and they were only a goal better than you in most games, you shouldn't be making any major moves. Let the youngins grow and learn from this loss, it's not like you guys were embarrassed and have major holes in your lineup, that need to be fixed asap.

IMO this series would've been different if Halak was healthy and playing at his best. From the looks of it Quick was just one save better than Elliott(there's only so much Hitchs' system can do) at some point you need a big time save from your keeper. Keep in mind I watched very little of this series, so I could be wrong.

Having said that please, take Stastny. People here keep wanting to change our best players positions to accommodate him.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Balls on the table!

vCash: 140
Yeah, don't do a Philly and blow up your team.

18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:51 PM
jmwc95

Halak wouldn't have made a difference. Pretty much most Blues fans are more confident with Elliott in goal (playing well) than Halak. He might not be back next year, and he certainly won't be back after 2014. We aren't going to blow up the team, but we will trade some depth at wing for an offensive upgrade.

Old
05-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
He's not ready to step in and carry us on a Cup run next year. He's ready to come in and put up 15 goals and 30+ points as a rookie. However, I expect more than that out of Schwartz next year, and we'll need that to go on a Cup run next season. I doubt you'll be ready for a Cup run next season. He can be ready to help you get into a playoff spot.
So Rattie plus what else? I'm not the biggest Stastny fan and I think he's the third best center on our team but I wouldn't trade him straight up for Rattie.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:27 PM
CobraAcesS

Stastny for Oshie would be my preference to be honest, we can sign someone like Gordon for a third line center.

I don't mind that Berglund + Rattie deal either but it isn't ideal, I've seen you guys talk about Perron , and I've also seen people say that hes been a liability quite often. To the point where he needs to be benched.

Too focused on offense, and trying to do too much himself while turning over the puck if I remember right.

IMO, Oshie would complete the Landeskog - O'Reilly line perfectly. All three of them play the same type of hard game with good to great defensive ability.

Edit:

I know Oshie is on your 'prefer not to move' list, but he fits our main need the most. Colorado is going to look dumb as hell unless they get a very good piece for Stastny, especially when he starts putting up a 70 point pace with a fresh start and better line mates.

Obviously any team paying for him is going to be hoping he does exactly that. 55-60 point center for a 55-60 point winger is already a win for the team getting the center anyways.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 05-11-2013 at 04:34 PM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Gordon is another 4C caliber guy IMO. Don't really want to go into the season with Mitchell and Gordon anchoring the entire bottom 6.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Gordon is another 4C caliber guy IMO. Don't really want to go into the season with Mitchell and Gordon anchoring the entire bottom 6.
Well at least Gordon is damn good in his role.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
I wonder if Sakic will value Stastny any higher since he played with him. I could see him wanting to atleast see Paul play under a new coach.
I was thinking this myself.

Sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 05:33 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
I wonder if Sakic will value Stastny any higher since he played with him. I could see him wanting to atleast see Paul play under a new coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post
I was thinking this myself.
I think most of us (Those who haven't already given up on Stastny anyways), want to see what Stastny can do under a new coach before trading him is considered as well.

I still believe O'Reilly should have been the one in the defensive role last season. I think Stastny will always have a higher offensive IQ and ceiling than O'Reilly.

It should go Duchene, Stastny, O'Reilly IMO, but not many here are going to agree with that. I'm not saying O'Reilly should be used purely as a shutdown center either, but he should get the most defensive starts much like Stastny did.

Old
05-11-2013, 05:47 PM
zech
@zech_de

Stastny for Perron and Rattie sound like a good trade to me. I'd do it.

zech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 06:16 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech View Post
Stastny for Perron and Rattie sound like a good trade to me. I'd do it.

Don't like Perron, there is a reason they're so open to letting him go.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:48 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Don't like Perron, there is a reason they're so open to letting him go.
If we are going to trade a winger for a center, it is either Perron, Stewart, or Oshie. If we take on Stastny's salary, we will have to trade some back which is why Tarasenko and Schwartz won't be traded. I figure you don't want Stewart back. I think Oshie fits Hitchcock's system better even though I think Perron has a higher ceiling. My biggest problem with Perron is the offensive zone penalties and some turnovers at the blueline. The Blues aren't looking to dump him, but we have a lot of scoring wingers and trading him to fill a need elsewhere makes the most sense.

Old
05-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

I don't think coaching was the problem for Stastny, he's putting up points playing for Sacco at the WC.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:23 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

It makes no sense why Blues fans would want to get rid of Perron. Also to that Blues fan, Halak hasn't been his best for St. Louis with some bad luck between injuries, but this guy can absolutely steal a series and IMO Quick out played Elliott by a huge margin in that series. You can use all the saves and .999% all you want, bu Quick made the timely saves while Elliott let in costly goals including Pancake Penners blue line slapshot.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:36 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

No mention of Ian Cole being on the list? He's the first guy I'd look at, and then one of the wingers. What would Avs add to Stastny for Cole + Oshie?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:45 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Stastny is a good player, but if he's going to continue to be used as a 3rd line center (which could change this year) then I'd look to move him to get Duchene or O'Reilly another winger. 6.6M is too much for him to be used in that role, and getting another top 6 winger would be huge. I want to move away from the 3 scoring lines and want to stack up the top 6. Of course, they could always try Stastny in that spot, and that may solve it.

Stastny for Oshie straight up would be okay, but I do like Perron's top end skill a bit more and we might be able to get a littlr more on top of that. They both have good contracts moving forward too.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
I don't think coaching was the problem for Stastny, he's putting up points playing for Sacco at the WC.
Because he's not playing behind Duchene and O'Reilly. Lack of Jones helps, too.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:01 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Adrian Dater would have to be included in the deal, because when Stastny starts lighting it up, it's going to be unbearable.
Amen to that

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:57 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I think most of us (Those who haven't already given up on Stastny anyways), want to see what Stastny can do under a new coach before trading him is considered as well.

I still believe O'Reilly should have been the one in the defensive role last season. I think Stastny will always have a higher offensive IQ and ceiling than O'Reilly.

It should go Duchene, Stastny, O'Reilly IMO, but not many here are going to agree with that. I'm not saying O'Reilly should be used purely as a shutdown center either, but he should get the most defensive starts much like Stastny did.
Agreed. Both are very good two way players. Staz is just a playmaker where ROR is a Power Forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
Because he's not playing behind Duchene and O'Reilly. Lack of Jones helps, too.
Agreed as well. He's the man for Team USA. He's the #3 guy on the Avs. Which should make us pause when discussing trading him. He's playing the role he's being asked to with us well. But it does show he is fully capable of being THE guy. Hell he even showed that at the end of 11-12 when his line with Jones and McGinn very nearly pulled us to the 8th seed down the stretch when ROR and Lando hit the wall and Dutchy was banged up.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:30 AM
Colorado Avalanche

[QUOTE=Pierce Hawthorne;65828243

BUT, at the same time. STL is in our division next year. And I really wouldn't want to face Stastny and Stewart together 6 times a year.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I believe when Stastny gets out of Colorado he starts to light up again and that means trading with St.Louis could be mistake. They have to overpay very nicely in order to get Stastny.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Bensch88

Give him a least one more year. He's playing very well at the World Cup and i would like to see him being on a line with Dutchy and PAP.

Bensch88 is offline   Reply With Quote